Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sticking a finger in the air:

Bormann definitely dies very early on. Goebels and Ribbentrop try and sit on the sidelines and survive until a winner appears. Himmler fancies himself the successor but crumbles the first time he finds himself in a room with Goering. A bunch of army officers seriously consider a military coup and the risk really depends on how much a peacetime Wehrmacht has been eaten up and displaced by the SS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Neophyte posted:

Who would have been the most hated Nazi chief and would have been enthusiastically killed off first in alt-hist post-Hitler Reich, like Beria after the death of Stalin?

There's at least an implicit "and was weak enough to get ganked" in here.

I'm so many miles from an expert here, so I look forward to being corrected by someone more knowledgable, but there's a ratio of being a bastard* vs. being weak enough that anyone can do anything about it going on here. To give the most obvious example, Hitler did some morally questionable things[citation needed] but for circa a decade or so he's was pretty unassailable in terms of party leadership so the answer can't be as simple as "did bad things get wrecked".

*It should also be kept in mind that for this case the more relevant calculation is being a bastard from the standpoint of other Nazis.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Neophyte posted:

Who would have been the most hated Nazi chief and would have been enthusiastically killed off first in alt-hist post-Hitler Reich, like Beria after the death of Stalin?

Himmler is the obvious target, but I would argue he was in a much stronger position than Beria was and barring something crazy, would be the one best positioned to take over.

Heydrich maybe had he not been assassinated. Borman as well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Himmler ultimately ran both the SD and the Gestapo, so he's going to be the one with the Beria-esque files on who has a mistress where and who has predilections for little kids and who is 1/8th Jewish and who once said a bad thing about Hitler in the Spring of 1943 etc. More importantly he's also going to have the files on who said poo poo about one of their peers.

Does this put him in a position to be kingmaker or to take the crown himself, or does it put a giant target on his head a la Beria? :iiam: Probably comes down to how loyal the Waffen SS is to him and how it stacks up against the real army, plus how much he's able to rally the support of key members of the Army. If he's been able to make friends in the post-war with the Jodl/Keitel crowd things are going to go a lot better for him.

edit: Bormann doesn't survive long enough to see Hitler's body cool. He's that bad mix of being close to the throne while not actually being that powerful himself. He's nothing but a loose end that anyone with a pistol can afford to tie off.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm going wild card on this theory, a certain Air Marshal decides to try uppers that week instead of opitates.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm going wild card on this theory, a certain Air Marshal decides to try uppers that week instead of opitates.

Nah he went out like either Belushi or Candy 10 years before der Fuhrer.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah he went out like either Belushi or Candy 10 years before der Fuhrer.

Heart exploden.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Modern day cast:

Jonah Hill as Goering?
Bendersnatch Cumperdink as Goebbels?
Elijah Wood as Himmler?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That'd be an interesting idea for a game; plotting a coup in a generically authoritarian-militerist regime in a vague unspecified european country; like the end of Fullmetal Alchemist.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Modern day cast:

Jonah Hill as Goering?
Bendersnatch Cumperdink as Goebbels?
Elijah Wood as Himmler?

Goebbels needs to be played by Jackie Earle Haley (Rorschach in the Zach Snyder Watchmen movie)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
wasn't goebbels short?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wasn't goebbels short?

Elijah Woods isn't 3 feet tall and Tom Cruise isn't 6 feet, but Hollywood makes it work.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Elijah Woods isn't 3 feet tall and Tom Cruise isn't 6 feet, but Hollywood makes it work.

i feel like we can find a short dude with the same pointy rear end rat face

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there were very few western europeans that ended up working in Germany; totals around 2 million with over half of those being French.

Mmm. More than you might think. A friend of the family was Belgian and was forced to work in Germany in WW2. He speaks German but refuses to, to this day.

Like, 2 million adult males of working age is not actually a small number of people. France has a population of 41 million at the time, assuming it's men being deported and taking out of consideration kids and the old, that would be something like one in five eligible French people.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 1, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Mmm. More than you might think. A friend of the family was Belgian and was forced to work in Germany in WW2. He speaks German but refuses to, to this day.

Like, 2 million adult males of working age is not actually a small number of people.

it's hardly "prevent exploitation of occupied economic resources" levels though; other factors were more relevant in preventing the nazis from successfully exploiting western european economic resources. STO was basically just a draft of eligible males and most of the other nations managed to keep their economies going reasonably effectively despite having drafted similar age classes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 1, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wasn't goebbels short?

Jackie Earle Haley is only 5'5"

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
James Ransone (Ziggy in The Wire, Ray Person in Generation Kill) as Goebbels.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Raenir Salazar posted:

That'd be an interesting idea for a game; plotting a coup in a generically authoritarian-militerist regime in a vague unspecified european country; like the end of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Two tabletop wargames come to mind:

Junta, about coups and politics in a fictional Central American country. The object of the game is to have the most money in your Swiss bank account at the end.

Kremlin, which came out just before the collapse of the USSR. It can be described as "Death of Stalin, the board game."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

An 'Imposter' game in which everyone is the traitor.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
There's a scholarly book about Germanys exploitation of europe, "Paying for Hitlers War", but I haven't read it. Steen Andersen, again, is one of the authors. The blurb I found agrees that Denmark was treated differently, (from this page in danish, run through google translate):

quote:

The book is the first research attempt to map the contribution of the occupied countries (and Sweden and Finland) to the German war economy. The contributions are all written by leading researchers within the period and topic.

The book focuses on how Germany managed to mobilize resources in occupied Europe. Many of these resources were critical to Germany's military success. Occupation meant great costs for the defeated nations, but in a number of cases it also opened up new opportunities as the Germans created new demand and the need for new products for replacement.

Likewise, this book addresses the question of the long-term effects of German exploitation on the European post-war economy. The book is the first and most ambitious attempt to make an analysis of the importance of the occupied countries' economies to Germany's ability to wage multi-front war. An exploitation that had an impact on how the Europe of the future was shaped.

There are very large regional differences. In 1943, for example, half of the French workforce worked for the German war industry. Labor was forcibly expelled from France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, and Ukraine. But never in Denmark. Danish companies retained their freedom of action and Denmark's economic potential was never fully mobilized for the German war industry.

It was against all economic sense. Therefore, one of our points is that the economic historians have not had the full understanding of the extent to which ideology and race played a role in German politics. In an economic optics, German politics was deeply irrational and controlled ideology. The same German officials who formulated the plan that cost the starvation of millions of Soviet citizens negotiated with Danish agriculture and were willing to give them a high price for their products.

It was about securing supplies to Germany, but it was also about Denmark gaining a special status among the occupied countries, because the Danes in Nazi Germany's optics belonged to the Germanic race.

The book places itself in the middle of a hot international research discussion with a substantial contribution, which means that the story must be written about :

The publication also disagrees with the notion that until 1941 Germany would only wage a limited war, the so-called Blitzkrieg hypothesis. The contributors believe that Germany had mobilized far more resources and aimed at the big showdown right from the start.
It is also wrong that the German Minister of Armaments Albert Speer carried out an economic miracle. The recovery and increase in production of the German war economy, on the other hand, is a result of the exploitation of the economies of the occupied countries.

Interesting last paragraphs there. Anyone read it? This one is available in english.

catfry fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 1, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Say, something in bewbie's battleship thread got me curious. So at Jutland, one of the things that people recognized was that the Royal Navy had an inflexible institutional culture that acted against individual initiative, arguably to its cost when multiple captains just watched the High Seas Fleet sail by at night due to a lack of orders. So after the war, and possibly after the battle even, what did the Royal Navy do about it? What changes were made, and how much of an effect did those changes have on the conduct of the Royal Navy in WW2?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You all remember how a few weeks ago someone was asking about the official way to get a war trophy back to the states in WW2, minus the usual "just shove it in your duffel" shennanigans?

Someone in TFR just posted some old capture papers:

sporkstand posted:

I was cleaning out some old stuff last weekend, this fell out of a box and I figured it might be of some interest to people here.

Click to embiggen

Looks like a Tec4 named Arthur J. Woodcock brought a Walther pistol, a German knife and a French bayonet home with him from the war. A nice Cpt. named Lester E. O'Riley signed off on it and gave the thumbs up.

Note that the person who signed off on this dude's bringback pistol was a Captain, which gives an idea of how far down the chain that poo poo got pushed. I thought I remembered it being company commanders.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How did he get a French bayonet?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fangz posted:

When in France...

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The ATF didn't exist back then so who would have stopped you from importing any gun you want, anyway

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Fangz posted:

I would not be surprised at all if the dude picked it up off a German thinking it was German and found out later it was French.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that the person who signed off on this dude's bringback pistol was a Captain, which gives an idea of how far down the chain that poo poo got pushed. I thought I remembered it being company commanders.

On my grandfather's version of that form, the signer was a 1LT. And I use "signed" loosely, because it's clearly a rubber stamp.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Phanatic posted:

On my grandfather's version of that form, the signer was a 1LT. And I use "signed" loosely, because it's clearly a rubber stamp.

This does not preclude him being a company commander. 1st Lieutenants were often stepping up to be company commanders in rapid reorganizations of the military, or during times of manpower shortages.
Especially in the conclusion of war as units quickly absorbed others and men were transferred back and forth in preparation to transfers and demob, company commander would be any officer who was remaining.

I'm on mobile so I can't dig em but I think they've been posted in this thread, too. Assumption of command orders signed to the undersigned himself, basically "As the sole officer present I assume the command of this company until I find someone else" or "Due to being unable to reach anyone, I, 1LT so and so, assume the command of this 69th Transport Battalion until we meet another major formation".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly I don't doubt it got pushed even lower. I suspect the whole thing was basically "get an officer to give it a quick OK"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I don't doubt it got pushed even lower. I suspect the whole thing was basically "get an officer to give it a quick OK"

I want to see one signed by something like a staff sergeant with some bizarre documentary lineage including accounts of all the officers getting salmonella and being wracked with the shits or something similarly zany whereby some cary elwes style scamp drives home in a stolen hetzer

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

I want to see one signed by something like a staff sergeant with some bizarre documentary lineage including accounts of all the officers getting salmonella and being wracked with the shits or something similarly zany whereby some cary elwes style scamp drives home in a stolen hetzer

I'm reminded of something I read going in the other direction, where some weird series of circumstances lead to squad that was, like, a colonel, two captains, a lieutenant, and one poor private having to make their way across some dangerous terrain.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm reminded of something I read going in the other direction, where some weird series of circumstances lead to squad that was, like, a colonel, two captains, a lieutenant, and one poor private having to make their way across some dangerous terrain.

We had 2 Warrants, a Captain, and an LT going on a ground movement in Kurdistan and the SGM wanted to know where was the NCOIC?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

At last, a better way to explain my username than Wikipedia.

Polyakov posted:

Not really, the UK had more shipyards, better shipyards and access to american shipyards. Even if we add French shipyards into the mix they are capable on a raw capacity of outbuilding Nazi occupied Europe. They had the ability to starve nazi germany of resources while maintaining access to their own so the nazis would not have been able to get on a parity footing. The UK had centuries of basically impeccable credit in the international market to draw on so its extremely unlikely they would ever actually run out of borrowing capacity in a reasonable time frame.

Occupied europe will fall apart through hunger before that long, lack of fertiliser and feedstock imports hosed most of the occupied territories economies after 2-3 years of war. Germany becomes essentially fully reliant on imported soviet grain which isn't really a tenable situation, and which they have to pay for. And it doesn't obviate the German need to build land forces, they need to fight in Africa and be prepared for a fight in the east that they have to know is likely coming. If they don't then the UK is able to pour even more resources into the air and sea war.

The long war doesnt favour the germans.

What chemicals and feedstock were the Germans unable to import due to the blockade, for either world war?

And instead of using lots of nukes on a Germany that conquered European Russia, why not anthrax?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

White Coke posted:

What chemicals and feedstock were the Germans unable to import due to the blockade, for either world war?

famously, ammonia for explosives. remember when countries in the late 19th century were fighting over annexing random remote islands covered in bird poo poo? the bird poo poo, collected over centuries, was an extremely rich source of ammonia, which is essential to make explosives and fertilizer, both of which industrial nations need in large quantity. you can dig up nitre from deserts, or you can strip mine the bird poo poo, but there's otherwise no good way to collect ammonia at scale from natural deposits. germany had neither nitre nor rocks covered in bird poo poo, and so encouraged german chemists to figure out a better solution - not strictly because of the war, but because as part of the growing 20th century research into industrial chemical production, being able to make cheap ammonia in a factory would be a big fat money maker. there were multiple attempts at creating ammonia synthetically, but they weren't that good

just in the nick of time, about five years before the war, two german chemists named fritz haber and carl bosch figured out a cheap, efficient way to create ammonia out of thin air (literally, reacting atmospheric nitrogen with hydrogen) and this was spun up just a year or two before the shooting started. the allies were able to blockade all ammonia imports from germany which should have crippled both the german armaments industry and german agriculture, if not for the haber-bosch process, which iirc is still used today

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
During WW1 a lot of household materials and food were smuggled across the border from the Netherlands into Germany. The German government was also very eager to buy any livestock and other materials from the Dutch.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

just in the nick of time, about five years before the war, two german chemists named fritz haber and carl bosch figured out a cheap, efficient way to create ammonia out of thin air (literally, reacting atmospheric nitrogen with hydrogen) and this was spun up just a year or two before the shooting started. the allies were able to blockade all ammonia imports from germany which should have crippled both the german armaments industry and german agriculture, if not for the haber-bosch process, which iirc is still used today

Behind the Bastards had a good episode on Haber

Fritz Haber: The Man Who Invented Chemical Warfare

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There are quite a few mid-19thC/early-20thC chemists who made breakthroughs thinking 'this will make life so much better for everyone' and then someone discovered the military applications.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Alchenar posted:

There are quite a few mid-19thC/early-20thC chemists who made breakthroughs thinking 'this will make life so much better for everyone' and then someone discovered the military applications.

See the historical documentary Real Genius

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Modernization of the M48 to the M60 standard

and a small article

TOG flamethrower for T-34 and KV-1 tanks

Big articles queue: German tank building trends at the end of WW2, Pz.Kpfw.III/IV, E-50 and E-75 development, Pre-war and early war British tank building, BT-7M/A-8 trials, Jagdtiger suspension, Light Tank T37, Light Tank T41, T-26-6 (SU-26), Voroshilovets tractor trials, Israeli armour 1948–1982, T-64's composite armour, Evolution of German tank observation devices, Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles, Gun Motor Carriage T12/M3, King Tigers in Hungary, German King Tiger losses in December of 1944 in Hungary, Tiger (P) Typ 102, T-55 underwater driving equipment, T-34 tanks with M-17 engines, Wartime and post-war anti-tank hand grenades, Soviet "Tigers" in movies

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
Shashmurin's career

:911:
GMC T48
GMC M3

:godwin:
7.62 cm F.K.(r) auf gp. Selbstfahrlafette (Sd.Kfz. 6/3)
Sd.Kfz.254

Small articles queue: German horse carts, why the Panther couldn't replace the Pz.Kpfw.IV, Jerry cans in Soviet service

Small articles available: linked because the list is too long

New small articles:
T-60 tank with thickened armour
FIAT 3000
Howitzer Motor Carriage T88
German tank turret development
Vickers-Carden-Loyd M1937 light tank

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Vahakyla posted:

This does not preclude him being a company commander. 1st Lieutenants were often stepping up to be company commanders in rapid reorganizations of the military, or during times of manpower shortages.
Especially in the conclusion of war as units quickly absorbed others and men were transferred back and forth in preparation to transfers and demob, company commander would be any officer who was remaining.

I'm on mobile so I can't dig em but I think they've been posted in this thread, too. Assumption of command orders signed to the undersigned himself, basically "As the sole officer present I assume the command of this company until I find someone else" or "Due to being unable to reach anyone, I, 1LT so and so, assume the command of this 69th Transport Battalion until we meet another major formation".

One of the captains from my unit had been a company commander in Afghanistan as a first lieutenant. He was the XO and both his first commander and his replacement were killed within a relatively short amount of time so they kept him as the commander for the rest of the deployment.

He's gotta be in the running for most company command time, 1 command as a 1LT and 3 as a CPT, something like 4 -5 years easy.