Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Quick Resume is the single greatest advancement in all of video gaming in like the past decade. It's incredible voodoo magic and I play 400% more video games because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol if quick resume caused a performance hit in games literally no one would use it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Like any ms operating system im sure you gotta reboot it to keep it happy when it doesnt act like you want. You are welcome for my tech tips. Bill is in the mail.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Quick resume is good for single player games but it fucks with how online games work now and I have to force quit and restart anyway so just let me disable it e: for things like Halo Infinite where I just play MP

Laserface fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 2, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Lol if quick resume caused a performance hit in games literally no one would use it.

This most recent thing where MGS was running in slow motion is the only time I’ve had an issue with it so far. Most of my issues have been with the menus and UI

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

univbee posted:

Someone who was finally cancelled.

The voice of Lo Wang in the original 1997 PC game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phitdexy3YI

It was a Randroid joke, sorry

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Larry Parrish posted:

It doesn't do any of this you nerd

Sure it does, sometimes. From a quick google:

Halo did recently - https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-infinite-update-quick-resume-achievement-errors
FH5 did recently - https://www.windowscentral.com/forza-horizon-5-bugs-known-issues

veni veni veni posted:

It doesn't most of the time so they should continue to use it, like I said it's a cool feature :)

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 2, 2022

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Both Far Cry 5 and New Dawn have a weird issue with FPS boost enabled that, if you leave it on the map screen, it starts to slowly reduce the frame rate until its 1fps. this takes about 5-6hrs.

Quick resume exacerbates it because the game doesnt really appear to suspend, or it does and then it wakes up, notices the time its been since it was suspended and then chops the frame rate again.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Battlefront 2 had weird hyper speed after loading via quick resume. I fixed it by deleting that garbage game.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Skyrim FPS goes to poo poo after a while in quick resume (but thats easily blamed on Skyrim). I've also noticed that Divinity Original Sin 2 also stops recognizing the controller after a few quick resumes and needs to be started from scratch again.

It's also insane to me that you need to reboot Halo Infinite to get MP working again. First party MP games should absolutely be able to gracefully reconnect...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Larry Parrish posted:

I like watching my games load for 5 minutes every time I play my Xbox.

Does the Xbox take that long to load a game from boot? That sucks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Laserface posted:

Quick resume is good for single player games but it fucks with how online games work now and I have to force quit and restart anyway so just let me disable it e: for things like Halo Infinite where I just play MP

Yea it’s pretty annoying for Multiplayer games, but I’ll take that trade off for the benefit it gives for single player games.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

It does not.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JBP posted:

no. i think the longest loading game I have is elite dangerous and it's like 2 minutes max. im merely confused by this guy who thinks it's bad actually when it's instant instead.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think that poster might have been referring to loading a game from Quick Resume, which if you haven’t played it for a couple days can take……I dunno, like ten seconds? Either way it’s dumb

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Little over 35 hours and I finally had time to beat FF7. Amazing game. What a journey. Really hope FF7R comes to Xbox.

Is there a hard mode for the OG FF7? I didn't see an option for like a New Game+ or whatever once I got back to the title screen. I could only just load my previous saves. Might start a new game to hunt for other cheevos, or might just do that on my Switch not sure yet. But yeah, I was already a fan of FF7, and experiencing it for myself really just made me appreciate it so much more.

[edit] Will say though, the last boss fights were kind of pushovers with how stacked my party was lol. Sephiroth's a bitch, I didn't even get to use Tifa's limit break on him before he died.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

ErrEff posted:

I guess Sony wanted a F2P franchise and this was the cheapest one on the block for the coverage/built-in audience they could get (Destiny 2 ranked 7th for most downloaded F2P games on Sony platforms in the US last year).

Well, okay then. It's bizarro world, but that's where we're at.

Not to necro Bungiechat, but Sony wants Bungie for their live service stuff. I'd bet that Bungie's live service tech is going to be the backbone of Sony's Gaas stuff.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Gaas

More like rear end.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The GAAS of Us

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I ended up with $500 in Amazon gift cards after doing a bunch of stuff and originally I was going to buy some home office stuff with it. Decided instead I wanted a Series X but can’t seem to catch the drat thing in stock for retail.

I know that’s kinda the story in general now but man this bites. Even if I catch it elsewhere my money is locked to Amazon who apparently hasn’t had a restock since before Thanksgiving?

Shame. I really love the Halo one but the chance of getting that is like nada. My options with Amazon other than waiting and refreshing is maybe I can swap that credit for either best buy or GameStop but that still puts me in the same boat — credit at a place that I’m trapped into.

Guess I just keep waiting. I’d probably just pass on it seeing I have a nice gaming pc but I have three years of game pass ultimate and I find I finish games more often if I am playing them on my 4K tv (and I sit behind a computer all day for work so sometimes it’s nice to not do that and give my wrists a rest).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teagone posted:

Little over 35 hours and I finally had time to beat FF7. Amazing game. What a journey. Really hope FF7R comes to Xbox.

Is there a hard mode for the OG FF7? I didn't see an option for like a New Game+ or whatever once I got back to the title screen. I could only just load my previous saves. Might start a new game to hunt for other cheevos, or might just do that on my Switch not sure yet. But yeah, I was already a fan of FF7, and experiencing it for myself really just made me appreciate it so much more.

[edit] Will say though, the last boss fights were kind of pushovers with how stacked my party was lol. Sephiroth's a bitch, I didn't even get to use Tifa's limit break on him before he died.

Nope, no difficulty unless you choose it. There are some difficulty mods for PC, obv.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

thank you for posting this, I am legitimately very interested

No prob. I've always been super into J-Studio since the PSX days but by the time Sony consolidated the operation it was literally a shell of its former self from 15-20 years ago, like not even a charity project or whatever it had been during the 2010s, but merely a namesake.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Why the gently caress would you "steer clear" of Quick Resume lmfao

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yep, once your GPU expires you can do the conversion again.

I feel like there will be a mysterious price raise in 2024

I actually think the explicitly tried to raise gold to stop this right? And it went poorly

I wonder how many people actually pay the real gamepass price. My friends got me 3 years for $100 roughly and I use it a lot, but I also wouldn't be subbed every single month if I was paying like... $25 or something. Even with gamepass there are months I have not touched the xbox for whatever reason

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I guess it’s like how many people in the PlayStation threads are total weirdos about using Rest Mode

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I feel like there will be a mysterious price raise in 2024

I actually think the explicitly tried to raise gold to stop this right? And it went poorly

I wonder how many people actually pay the real gamepass price. My friends got me 3 years for $100 roughly and I use it a lot, but I also wouldn't be subbed every single month if I was paying like... $25 or something. Even with gamepass there are months I have not touched the xbox for whatever reason

I'm one of these people that flips it on for $15 and plays a couple of games and then turns it off. I'm not sure how they deal with that in the future but I guess most people are lazy and a lot of people will purchase games/'tent in app or wish to consolidate their games on the Xbox app by buying them.

Obvs if you have an actual Xbox you'd just leave it on forever.

JBP fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 2, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t think I’d pay $15/month even, if they close the loophole I’m probably out.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Xbox one X trade in got me 3 years of game pass in Australia.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I've probably missed the discussion on this but Exo One is great and well worth the few hours it takes to beat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It costs less than netflix so its astoundingly cheap.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I guess it’s like how many people in the PlayStation threads are total weirdos about using Rest Mode

I don't think rest mode has ever worked on my PlayStation 5. It didn't work at launch and it didn't work when Deathloop came out. I just have it disabled.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
It is extremely in Microsoft’s interest to have people precommit to 3 years of playing Xbox on PC or console or whatever, especially as cloud gaming comes online. They are making a generational play to try to win a transition in people’s gaming habits. If that means some particularly well informed nerds get the deal twice by committing to 6 years of playing Xbox then I’m sure that’s a price they’ll happily pay.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Barudak posted:

It costs less than netflix so its astoundingly cheap.

Can I have my game pass account logged in on multiple devices at the same time? My gf is paying monthly for ultimate and if we could just share mine it would save a lot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zerot posted:

I don't think rest mode has ever worked on my PlayStation 5. It didn't work at launch and it didn't work when Deathloop came out. I just have it disabled.

That's weird works great on my machine.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Snowy posted:

Can I have my game pass account logged in on multiple devices at the same time? My gf is paying monthly for ultimate and if we could just share mine it would save a lot.

Assuming we're talking about consoles, set the one your girlfriend uses as your account's "home Xbox". https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/console/my-home-xbox

That way she can play Game Pass games and online multiplayer using her own account without an active subscription. The only caveat with this setup is that the console you use must remain online or it won't let you play because it's not your home Xbox.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tensokuu posted:

I ended up with $500 in Amazon gift cards after doing a bunch of stuff and originally I was going to buy some home office stuff with it. Decided instead I wanted a Series X but can’t seem to catch the drat thing in stock for retail.

I know that’s kinda the story in general now but man this bites. Even if I catch it elsewhere my money is locked to Amazon who apparently hasn’t had a restock since before Thanksgiving?

Shame. I really love the Halo one but the chance of getting that is like nada. My options with Amazon other than waiting and refreshing is maybe I can swap that credit for either best buy or GameStop but that still puts me in the same boat — credit at a place that I’m trapped into.

Guess I just keep waiting. I’d probably just pass on it seeing I have a nice gaming pc but I have three years of game pass ultimate and I find I finish games more often if I am playing them on my 4K tv (and I sit behind a computer all day for work so sometimes it’s nice to not do that and give my wrists a rest).

yeah the way I got one was to wait for a physical restock and then I went and waited in person. You're going to die of old loving age before you get one from the internet that's not second hand or heavily price fixed, or one of those weird Walmart specials that nobody wants.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Y'all are nuts about game pass. Just consider the $15 the new price of Xbox live except it now gives you 100x the poo poo it used to in the 360 days. It's so much value. Sure, the games leave sometimes, but that's only a problem if you never get around to them. I don't think multiplayer stuff tends to leave.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The last new (non Nintendo) video game I bought was Hitman 3 (which ironically is now on Game Pass) a year ago. All of my gaming is done via Game Pass. The big value in it for me are the mid-tier "indie" titles. Stuff like Carrion, Hades, Deaths Door, Cyber Shadow, Spiritfarer. Stuff I will play and beat and have a great time with, but that I would absolutely feel like a dope paying $20-30 for individually. Having huge AAA titles like Doom Eternal, Dragon Quest 11 and Forza included in the service is just icing on the cake.

I don't know what I'd be playing if I didn't have Game Pass.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

American McGay posted:

Yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

American McGay posted:

The last new (non Nintendo) video game I bought was Hitman 3 (which ironically is now on Game Pass) a year ago. All of my gaming is done via Game Pass. The big value in it for me are the mid-tier "indie" titles. Stuff like Carrion, Hades, Deaths Door, Cyber Shadow, Spiritfarer. Stuff I will play and beat and have a great time with, but that I would absolutely feel like a dope paying $20-30 for individually. Having huge AAA titles like Doom Eternal, Dragon Quest 11 and Forza included in the service is just icing on the cake.

This lol. I've saved so much money with game pass. The base price of the games I played on it is definetly way more than the last 8 months of game pass, even at the regular price.