Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
https://youtu.be/gAsMkZrpoxY

This one is the most illustrative DeS soundtrack piece for me just because of how they remade it. It’s basically the transition from adventure game to action game in a nutshell. The remake version is just another bombastic, punchy mess of strings and choir that totally fails to evoke this creeping dread of the original. More is less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Impermanent posted:

if you just run past everything in your first play through of a dark souls game you are truly cursed

Has anyone tried to run past everything for several runs and do like a NG+3 SL1 run (using any acquired souls on dung pies of course)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Happy Elden Month to all!

skasion posted:

https://youtu.be/gAsMkZrpoxY

This one is the most illustrative DeS soundtrack piece for me just because of how they remade it. It’s basically the transition from adventure game to action game in a nutshell. The remake version is just another bombastic, punchy mess of strings and choir that totally fails to evoke this creeping dread of the original. More is less.

I just looked up Adjudicator's theme from the remake and I'm so sad now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

KonvexKonkav posted:

My favorite level in all Souls games, which nobody seems to talk about that much, is the Cathedral of the Deep.

i talk about this every single chance i get

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Cathedral of the Deep and Cainhurst Castle are the best Souls levels imo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Upper cathedral ward, Astral clock tower, and the Fishing hamlet are all really good too. Bloodborne is so good

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Electromax posted:

Isn't that literally how you reach the dragon level in DS3? I think the speculation is just resolved online much more quickly nowadays because the games are crazy popular, so instead of guesses on day 3 there are just guides and answers.

I'm sure ER will have some obscure stuff that many people will end up just reading about in the wiki rather than "risk" missing things. It's probably hard to be surprising when people are expecting those Souls-isms more now too.

That's a part of it sure but I also think that Dark Souls 1 was experimental in a way that the rest of From's catalog isn't. All the weird jank that only kind of works like gravelord servants, miracle resonance and vagrants got streamlined out. To me, all that stuff really gets the imagination going and helps you believe that anything is possible in the game world.

And the sheer ridiculousness of what Ash Lake is, how it's hidden away and the atmosphere in general has yet to be topped IMO

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The neat thing about Cathedral of the Deep is its one of the few indoor areas that really feel properly huge once you get inside. All of these games love to show you a giant, imposing castle and then let you run through like, 3-5 rooms and hallways, which is a little disappointing. The area leading up to O&S in Anor Londo was pretty good about this too. Felt like you got to explore a whole wing of the castle after spending the preceding areas climbing through a window or over a roof to access one room and then moving on.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 1, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh yeah the sheer verticality in the main altar room of Cathedral of the Deep is nuts, especially considering there's actually stuff to do up there. I like how Rosario is basically tucked away in an attic.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cathedral of the Deep pwns and a similar version where you can jump around is definitely going to be in this game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vintersorg posted:

Dark Souls 3 would be your best bet since it's using the same engine.

Thank u sir. If I can grab it cheap I might practice on it a bit.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Count me as another big Deep fan, absolutely love the progression of that level.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Having never finished DS3 I started a new playthrough a couple weeks ago and seem to be nearing the end of the base game, when I realized I seem to have missed a few optional areas based on mentions in this thread and elsewhere (like the dragon that area that I’m gonna go check out shortly).

These kinds of “secret” areas blow me away about these games, it’s just so cool that From puts in entire areas and bosses that a casual playthrough might miss. For example, my jaw dropped when I first found Cainhurst in Bloodborne.

I definitely made a mistake not finishing DS3 when it was new and fresh, before all its secrets were uncovered; definitely got a bit spoiled on some things over the years. Super excited to play Elden Ring on release and not make the same mistake! The open world nature makes me think there will be even more optional stuff and I’m giddy with excitement at this!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I seriously can't wait to go through Elden Ring blind for my first playthrough then start reading wikis and learn I missed a couple huge areas lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

acksplode posted:

I seriously can't wait to go through Elden Ring blind for my first playthrough then start reading wikis and learn I missed a couple huge areas lol

Yeah same. Although I'm going to go through the game with a fine tooth comb and keep a paper journal so I think I'll be able to find most things.

Looking forward to creating an index and glossary! Might even do a few rough sketches.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

JBP posted:

Yeah same. Although I'm going to go through the game with a fine tooth comb and keep a paper journal so I think I'll be able to find most things.

Looking forward to creating an index and glossary! Might even do a few rough sketches.

God that sounds fun. You should post pics of this in a few months

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

JBP posted:

Yeah the one thing that worries me about Elden Ring being open world is that I have a strong compulsion to fully explore every area in these games. If I come to a one-way path, I'll backtrack to check out everything else in the area before committing to it.

That's bad enough in the relatively contained areas of Souls games, but could become a real problem on a giant world map. I might have to steal the pen and paper idea for making a rough map as I go.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Cathedral of the Deep features that most iconic of From environments, an indoor swamp, and can get hosed sidesaddle

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Am I the only one that doesn't "get" PVP in the Souls games? I know it's incredibly popular but I could never figure out why. It just seems so... janky. Registering a hit seems so hit or miss and no matter how solid your connection is it's just so laggy and warpy and weird.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Charliegrs posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't "get" PVP in the Souls games? I know it's incredibly popular but I could never figure out why. It just seems so... janky. Registering a hit seems so hit or miss and no matter how solid your connection is it's just so laggy and warpy and weird.

the netcode is rear end but as long as you live in Japan or in, like, a major American city on the eastern seaboard it's fine

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the netcode is rear end but as long as you live in Japan or in, like, a major American city on the eastern seaboard it's fine

Yeah it's borderline unplayable in Australia. I'd like to do more PvP but ultimately it just ends in the other guy warping around me getting teleporter backstabs and stuff. I'm fortunate enough to be on a wired fibre connection, but most people are on ADSL wifi so it counts for little.

E: I was playing demon's souls the other day and had a red phantom appear right in front of my character out of nowhere like a Japanese horror antagonist. It's really bad sometimes lol.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 2, 2022

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
best areas in DS3 are obv Lothric and Undead Settlement

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Anor Londo is pretty sweet if you've played DS1 just for the what the gently caress factor. I had played ds3 near release before I had ever played any other From game and had no idea what the deal was with this hosed up rotting castle. Just played through the whole series and it hit a little different this time!

The very first part of Ringed City and the Corvian Settlement are visually awesome, but kind of suck to actually navigate tbh.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Having just finished Bloodborne for the first time I can say it has the most consistently cool areas in all the Souls games.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

The pvp is real bad from a technical standpoint. And everything is usually an unbalanced mess. That they sometimes try to fix with patches much to the dismay of pve players

But hell, I love it. Particularly on a 2nd playthrough. Adds that fear of the unknown that yoy lose when you already know the area.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cathedral is awesome but there seems to be a major lack of GRAND ARCHIVES. Since that too you can get right to the roof and find a little cage. Plus the candle heads are creepy as gently caress.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Charliegrs posted:

Having just finished Bloodborne for the first time I can say it has the most consistently cool areas in all the Souls games.

The only areas of Bloodborne I dislike at all are the nightmare frontier and the section of Nightmare of Mensis before Micolash with the spiders

even then its more of a minor irritation than the dread I get from the real dogshit areas of other souls games like Frigid Outskirts or Lost Izalith

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
How bad do you think it would hurt to dunk your poo poo in wax like that irl?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The pvp is real bad from a technical standpoint. And everything is usually an unbalanced mess. That they sometimes try to fix with patches much to the dismay of pve players

But hell, I love it. Particularly on a 2nd playthrough. Adds that fear of the unknown that yoy lose when you already know the area.

I've seen some very insane looking magic in ER and if they tone any of it down for PvP I'll be real loving mad about it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

goferchan posted:

For what it's worth, for better or worse from reading the big Game Informer preview, I got the impression Elden Ring will be very very dense with boss battles. While the author said some are less elaborate than others, it sounded like there was one at the bottom of just about every single cave.

That would pretty much mirror Sekiro, which is a good thing. You'll get some duplication (like Sekiro) probably and they won't all be bangers, but as long as they understand there needs to be a reason for you to do that particular thing we're all good. Every single Sekiro boss/miniboss drops a valuable and/or unique thing and that's good in a way "here's some souls, jerk" is not.

Re: DS3 area chat - Aside from the swamp, opening segment, corvian area, and DLC1... I pretty much liked every area. Ringed City, from a map/architecture/aesthetic perspective, was wonderful. Conversely I hated all the enemies in the DLCs and how everything had the "This is hard... because Dark Souls!" vibe. That's pretty much a running gag on the series DLC, though.

Weak Sauce
Jul 10, 2001

Say it ain't so (elmo)

Mailer posted:

Conversely I hated all the enemies in the DLCs and how everything had the "This is hard... because Dark Souls!" vibe. That's pretty much a running gag on the series DLC, though.

Those loving archers ...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it will be cool to fight stuff up in the rafters of a tall building and jump over them and stab them. or leap across one hanging candelabra to another. notice that you are about to get hit with a large arrow and jump toward it so that you get pushed back to where you jumped from and survive, then panic roll off to your death. The whole game will be cool

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Elden Ring

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

cool av posted:

Elden Ring

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

elden ring out yet

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

cool av posted:

Elden Ring

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

elden ring out yet

https://i.imgur.com/kRJ4Fz7.mp4

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wonder if they’ll do an emergency two week delay because of the server exploit

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well now if they do i'm coming to your house to make a mess of your pots and pans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cowcaster posted:

elden ring out yet

No