Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's not my work but it's someone's. It's not like anyone needs any more evidence of television news just being a megaphone for corporations, but this has been all over primetime news today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2022/02/01/dominos-carryout-delivery-driver-shortage/

So the deal is that if you choose in-store pickup for a Dominos order they will provide you with a $3 store-credit rebate which is eligible only for in-store pickup orders placed by the Sunday following the day your order was placed. They also (at least in my area) only offer 'Curbside Delivery' where you drive to the store and they deliver it from the store to your car - there's no actual delivery to your home anymore.

In other words: You know how at most pizza places you pay a delivery fee for getting pizza delivered to your house? Well at Dominos you now pay a delivery fee for getting it walked out to your car parked outside the store, and if you choose to walk into the store yourself you... still pay the same amount, but you get a $3 store credit rebate that is only valid until the next Sunday.

To be extra scummy, the expiration details can only be found in image form, where they are this small:

So to recap:
If you order a pizza on Saturday Night and you drive to the store and you agree to walk into the store to pick it up instead of asking them to walk out of the store and bring it to your car, they give you a $3 coupon that will be valid for the next day only.

And they've PR spun it as "we will PAY YOU to pick up your pizza!", it has apparently made such a splash that their website's ordering system got enough traffic to become mostly non-functional. (or maybe their ordering system is just non-functional in the first place, idk, I never order domino's)

It reminds me of every "all-hands" meeting I've ever been to where they were telling us about great new benefits we were just going to LOVE, except actually they were taking things away from us. lmao. Plus I can't imagine how many pissed-off people the workers are going to have to deal with when they arrive to pick up their order and A) find out they only get a store credit, B) find out it's only valid until next Sunday, and C) come back a week later and can't use their credit anymore

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Everett False posted:

I assume there are some goons in here who know a thing or two about unions. We've got a contract we just finished negotiating, all it needs is to get voted through and we're good. If a union member is having conversations with management that are undermining the negotiation we already finished having, and essentially arguing that management shouldn't accept the contract... is that anything. Should I be warning our union rep that this is a thing that's happening. It feels like this is not a thing that should happen, but I don't actually know!

Shouldn't you like, break the scabs legs or something? Or is the person arguing for a better deal? Either way that dosen't sound right

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Outrail posted:

Shouldn't you like, break the scabs legs or something? Or is the person arguing for a better deal? Either way that dosen't sound right

Most of the union members are in another building, so I am the only one hearing this poo poo. They would never say any of these things where the actual utility workers who get their hands dirty could hear them, particularly not the poo poo about 'unskilled labor'.

Their job is to take utility payments, which come due on the 20th of every month. They are upset that we will be getting Juneteenth off as a federal holiday, because it will make the day after very busy. They are also upset that the union raises are likely to be paid for with an increased utility bill that people are likely to complain to them about. I know I'm getting specific, here, but. I do not know how else to convey the pettiness that is at issue when they try to conversationally guide management toward the conclusion that they would be fully justified in voting down the contract until the union comes back with fewer demands. They are, in every respect, arguing against their own interests. Which is part of why I have absolutely no idea if there is a standard operating procedure here. Who does this.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Everett False posted:

Most of the union members are in another building, so I am the only one hearing this poo poo. They would never say any of these things where the actual utility workers who get their hands dirty could hear them, particularly not the poo poo about 'unskilled labor'.

Their job is to take utility payments, which come due on the 20th of every month. They are upset that we will be getting Juneteenth off as a federal holiday, because it will make the day after very busy. They are also upset that the union raises are likely to be paid for with an increased utility bill that people are likely to complain to them about. I know I'm getting specific, here, but. I do not know how else to convey the pettiness that is at issue when they try to conversationally guide management toward the conclusion that they would be fully justified in voting down the contract until the union comes back with fewer demands. They are, in every respect, arguing against their own interests. Which is part of why I have absolutely no idea if there is a standard operating procedure here. Who does this.

That some Pinkerton level poo poo. Kill them and offer their blood as a tribute to the Union.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Everett False posted:

Break their fuckin legs

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Everett False posted:

Persuade them to accept a new position - that position being supine in a shallow hole in an isolated cornfield.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Everett False posted:

I'm not even American and I know that that motherfucker's rightfully destined for a concrete pour in a construction site.

Report that traitor to the union.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Everett False posted:

I understand what is happening I just don’t understand why a Union member would actively sabotage their own contract negotiations. I guess if they had some outside agreement with management or wet angling for a management job. Otherwise it’s entirely in their benefit to get the contract approved - to both sides benefit in fact.

No one that handles CBAs likes protracted negotiations. If the union is happy and management is happy then why go back to the table?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Some dumb poo poo my work does is get mad that someone has been using an almost abandoned office to take lunch breaks alone, since that's the safest thing to do during a global outbreak of a respiratory disease. Nearly all of these morons appear to be under the impression that Covid will respect your personal boundaries when you are eating. The one person who found a solitary area to unmask and eat a sandwich is now public enemy number one because, "Bob came by and noticed his office chair had been adjusted to a different height, the whole department is very upset, this is unacceptable."

Now I'm understanding why so many middle management idiots are demanding a full return to the office. It's their little fiefdom where they can wield power over other people. "How dare you adjust the height of my chair! My chair that I use maybe once every couple weeks! You peasant!"

They don't know who the culprit is. The witch hunt is on. The culprit is really, really tempted to clandestinely escalate the conflict, since the culprit is union and doesn't have to take poo poo from those salaried dumbasses.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Is the chair adjusting scoundrel you op?

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Animal-Mother posted:

Some dumb poo poo my work does is get mad that someone has been using an almost abandoned office to take lunch breaks alone, since that's the safest thing to do during a global outbreak of a respiratory disease. Nearly all of these morons appear to be under the impression that Covid will respect your personal boundaries when you are eating. The one person who found a solitary area to unmask and eat a sandwich is now public enemy number one because, "Bob came by and noticed his office chair had been adjusted to a different height, the whole department is very upset, this is unacceptable."

Now I'm understanding why so many middle management idiots are demanding a full return to the office. It's their little fiefdom where they can wield power over other people. "How dare you adjust the height of my chair! My chair that I use maybe once every couple weeks! You peasant!"

They don't know who the culprit is. The witch hunt is on. The culprit is really, really tempted to clandestinely escalate the conflict, since the culprit is union and doesn't have to take poo poo from those salaried dumbasses.

Did you go into someone’s private office without permission while it’s door was ajar, adjust someone’s personal ergonomically configured chair at their own personal desk, then get crumbs on their desk? Then use their own trash can while getting your covid germs all over their office? Did you also use their hand sanitizer on the way out? Leaving their office smelling like microwaved lean cuisine?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

My throne has been defiled by The Weed rear end!:weedass:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sounds like it's time to throw some sardines into the drop ceiling.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Everett False posted:

They're going around behind their co-workers backs and sabotaging their own union. Write down whatever they're saying. At the very least report them to the union and tell their fellow unionized co-workers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Local man missing, his desk carved with "Sic Semper Scabs"

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's not my work but it's someone's. It's not like anyone needs any more evidence of television news just being a megaphone for corporations, but this has been all over primetime news today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2022/02/01/dominos-carryout-delivery-driver-shortage/

So the deal is that if you choose in-store pickup for a Dominos order they will provide you with a $3 store-credit rebate which is eligible only for in-store pickup orders placed by the Sunday following the day your order was placed. They also (at least in my area) only offer 'Curbside Delivery' where you drive to the store and they deliver it from the store to your car - there's no actual delivery to your home anymore.

In other words: You know how at most pizza places you pay a delivery fee for getting pizza delivered to your house? Well at Dominos you now pay a delivery fee for getting it walked out to your car parked outside the store, and if you choose to walk into the store yourself you... still pay the same amount, but you get a $3 store credit rebate that is only valid until the next Sunday.

To be extra scummy, the expiration details can only be found in image form, where they are this small:

So to recap:
If you order a pizza on Saturday Night and you drive to the store and you agree to walk into the store to pick it up instead of asking them to walk out of the store and bring it to your car, they give you a $3 coupon that will be valid for the next day only.

And they've PR spun it as "we will PAY YOU to pick up your pizza!", it has apparently made such a splash that their website's ordering system got enough traffic to become mostly non-functional. (or maybe their ordering system is just non-functional in the first place, idk, I never order domino's)

It reminds me of every "all-hands" meeting I've ever been to where they were telling us about great new benefits we were just going to LOVE, except actually they were taking things away from us. lmao. Plus I can't imagine how many pissed-off people the workers are going to have to deal with when they arrive to pick up their order and A) find out they only get a store credit, B) find out it's only valid until next Sunday, and C) come back a week later and can't use their credit anymore

I don't really understand and the article is paywalled, but are you saying if I use the app and order in-store pickup, they now started adding the "delivery fee" to that? As in it costs more to do pickup now than it did before this change?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

wa27 posted:

I don't really understand and the article is paywalled, but are you saying if I use the app and order in-store pickup, they now started adding the "delivery fee" to that? As in it costs more to do pickup now than it did before this change?

No no, they give you the delivery fee back! In store credit. You're basically getting paid to eat pizza.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
They're charging you a $3 delivery fee for self pickup, but they're also giving you a $3 rebate for the next pizza you order before Sunday because you were so sweet as to forgo delivery oh god we can't get drivers for the amount we can afford to pay them please pick up your pizza before we have to say we can't deliver and come pick up the pizza yourself

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

wa27 posted:

No it doesn't say that anywhere in the article... The op either ordered a pizza and noticed or just assumed?

Instead of ordering delivery you order pickup and get a joke of a coupon... Like who the hell is eating dominos twice a week?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

wa27 posted:

Apparently dominos does not have a standard delivery fee and it varies by location, the ones here do not charge a delivery fee (so the cost of delivery is baked into the cost of the pizza). Selecting self-pickup does not cost any less than selecting delivery, so you are paying the delivery fee (which is baked into the cost of the pizza) when ordering self pickup.

And instead of just making self pickup cost $3 less, or paying drivers more, they give you a $3 timed store credit for selecting it while raking in the PR from their statements about how 'getting a pizza to your house is an extremely skilled task' and 'we are PAYING YOU to pick up your pizza!'

You can only benefit from the store credit by spending at least $15 more within the next week, so you cannot benefit from this deal whatsoever without giving them more money than you originally planned to. And every edition of the local news did a story about how amazing it is that YOU CAN GET PAID FOR ALL THE HARD WORK!!! to pick your pizza up from dominos.

This is dumb poo poo all of our work does because we are all now Dominos delivery drivers who get paid by dominos to deliver pizzas to our own house. Well done America

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 2, 2022

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Volmarias posted:

They're charging you a $3 delivery fee for self pickup, but they're also giving you a $3 rebate for the next pizza you order before Sunday because you were so sweet as to forgo delivery oh god we can't get drivers for the amount we can afford to pay them please pick up your pizza before we have to say we can't deliver and come pick up the pizza yourself

These chumps need to just rebrand to a straight up booking fee. Follow the ticketmaster model of supreme shittiness, that's what a true capitalist would do

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
AFAIK dominos is still the only major chain paying a dual wage. So, the fact that they pay you two dollars an hour on the road probably isn't doing their driver staffing any favors.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Apparently dominos does not have a standard delivery fee and it varies by location, the ones here do not charge a delivery fee (so the cost of delivery is baked into the cost of the pizza). Selecting self-pickup does not cost any less than selecting delivery, so you are paying the delivery fee (which is baked into the cost of the pizza) when ordering self pickup.

And instead of just making self pickup cost $3 less, or paying drivers more, they give you a $3 timed store credit for selecting it while raking in the PR from their statements about how 'getting a pizza to your house is an extremely skilled task' and 'we are PAYING YOU to pick up your pizza!'

You can only benefit from the store credit by spending at least $15 more within the next week, so you cannot benefit from this deal whatsoever without giving them more money than you originally planned to. And every edition of the local news did a story about how amazing it is that YOU CAN GET PAID FOR ALL THE HARD WORK!!! to pick your pizza up from dominos.

This is dumb poo poo all of our work does because we are all now Dominos delivery drivers who get paid by dominos to deliver pizzas to our own house. Well done America

Ok, this is what confused me. I didn't realize some dominos don't charge a delivery fee.

I decided to check the prices at mine and this is what I get if I choose delivery:

And this is if I choose pickup:

So I guess this change doesn't really affect my store, aside from getting a useless coupon added on.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Everett False posted:

I assume there are some goons in here who know a thing or two about unions. We've got a contract we just finished negotiating, all it needs is to get voted through and we're good. If a union member is having conversations with management that are undermining the negotiation we already finished having, and essentially arguing that management shouldn't accept the contract... is that anything. Should I be warning our union rep that this is a thing that's happening. It feels like this is not a thing that should happen, but I don't actually know!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909994&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=18

You need to speak to your shop steward/local president/rep/etc right the gently caress now. That person needs a talking to, and if they don’t correct immediately, something more direct. But it should really be the union leadership doing it.

If your local doesn’t seem to wanna take care of it, elevate it to regional leadership. That’s poison of the first order.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Everett False posted:

Find the two biggest union members. I'm talking dudes who do MMA or boxing or other muscle sports in their free time. Go to this person's house and let them know in no uncertain terms that either way they will not be working on Juneteenth.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Betty Wight posted:

I understand what is happening I just don’t understand why a Union member would actively sabotage their own contract negotiations.

Office union members hate being in a union because the benefits of the union are less visible on a daily basis. When I was in one people bitched endlessly that they worked for the company and that the union had no right to get between them and their employer...until they needed the union to intervene after they hosed something up or repeatedly called a new employee who wore a headscarf "the terrorist" behind her back. Then the union was cool and good. Need to go to rehab? The Union would make sure your job was there. Lose your security clearance? The union would keep the company from firing you. At all other times it was deemed useless. It was amazing to see people bitch that their cost of living raise only covered inflation while not acknowledging that they got at least one other raise every year on top of that. In my previous job I had increased sales by $2 million in my first year and got a 0.5% raise. You could do nothing but show up every day and not break any rules and get more money per hour every 4, 6 or 12 months depending on where you were in the schedule. Everyone seemed to think the company did this out of the goodness of their hearts, but when they wanted to see what their raise would be they pulled out the Union handbook. The downside for an office union is that someone who goes above and beyond often gets absolutely nothing for the extra effort. Your career advancement options are to leave the union and enter supervision or leave the company, but it was a widely known fact that supervisors worked longer hours and earned less overall because they were salaried instead of getting overtime pay. In the four years I was there not one person went from Union to Salaried, even though it was floated to a few people. A week before I accepted my current job I got pulled into a meeting where my supervisor and department head gave me a speech about how important I was to the group and how my knowledge and effort made everything work, so they were giving me the max out-of-turn raise they could under union rules: an increase of $0.25/hr. That may have been a soft recruitment effort to see if I would take a supervisor role, looking back.

Speaking of my current job: I'm trying to leave that after three years. I've been applying to internal positions for the last month or so and finally got a hit on the one that would, hands down, be the best option for me so far. Since I was hired the company has changed the interview process and so earlier this week I got sent a link to a site and had to answer three essay questions and then record five video answers to questions with a two or three minute time limit. Overall, it was supposed to be a 35 minute thing, but you could re-record your video answers as many times as you needed to. It took me 4 hours before I was happy with all of them. It was such a weird experience my wife thought I was making it up until she talked to one of her coworkers (we all work for the same company) who switched jobs a few months back and had to deal with the same thing. It's more stressful than an in person interview because you just want every word to be perfect without sounding like you are reading from a script.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
re: union stuff

My team is made up of people from various non profits and we are seconded to the local government.

One of my team members is from a different org, and is non unionized. Their agency suddenly decided not to accept the contract from the city and axe her (and multiple other, unrelated) postion(s). So the city is like 'uhhh we have a contract with an employee ready to go here but we just need an org to take it?'

It's looking like my organization will take her contract - we wont have any internal applicants for the position so it is easy enough to hire her directly. If she comes over to my (unionized) organization, she will instantly get a $7/hour raise with having absolutely none of her workload change.

She still says she doesn't want to be in a union job.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Capital Letdown posted:

gently caress her, train a replacement.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Capital Letdown posted:

she will instantly get a $7/hour raise with having absolutely none of her workload change.

Unions are bad mkay.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Over a century of anti union propaganda is very powerful. Also people are goddamm stupid

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

tater_salad posted:

Unions are bad mkay.

Unions do protect the poo poo workers, and that used to be enough to make me anti-union.

Then I realized that I can do less work for the same money if I was in a union, with assured advancement on a schedule.

That's way better than constantly overworking and pitting all my bosses against eachother to get a 13% promotion every 3-5 yrs.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

TotalLossBrain posted:

Over a century of anti union propaganda is very powerful. Also people are goddamm stupid

Does target still have those mandatory anti-union videos during orientation?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So to recap:

Wait, so even if you choose in-store pickup and walk in yourself you're charged a delivery fee?

Where did you find this information?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Not that anyone asked for an update on Scabsy, but:

With retrospect and further discussion regarding the other absolutely bizarre poo poo that happened with her that morning, it's seeming increasingly likely that the union undermining may be related to a perceived interpersonal dispute I was not previously aware that we were having. While not said explicitly it seems like this person is under the impression that I am in any way responsible for the consensus decisions of the union and that I have somehow conspired to profit at her expense.

Which is actually even more stupid. But I can follow the selfish logic slightly better than I could when I tried to compartmentalize and assume the weird poo poo she said to me personally was unrelated to the weird poo poo she then went on to say directly to management right next to my cubicle.

I spoke to our staff rep from the local council, who has been doing this for years, and she had never heard of anyone doing anything like this. It wasn't until about ten minutes into the conversation that I think she fully processed the implications of what I was telling her and started getting pissed.

It's reassuring to be getting confirmation on all sides that this situation is loving bonkers.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Following Reddit /r/antiwork's mod I'm starting to think these are all actors. Or paid shills.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/sdesxw/megathread_rantiwork_goes_private_after_fox_news/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

dude this 100% has to be fake there's no fuckin way this guy isn't a caricature of what fox thinks is a union worker.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Luigi Corruptiano

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
On Monday we got the ol' "hey guys, we got a big storm showing up Thursday and Friday, so just so you know, the only way you can get out of work is if it's a level 3 snow emergency. If you still feel like you don't feel safe, you'll have to use pto to not come in, or take an attendance point." No mention of school closures, stuck in your driveway due to ice, or even a fuckin please be safe on your way in.

I preemptively expected my employer to do dumb poo poo with this big winter storm. I'm 35+ miles away of back country highway to get there, so as expected, the freezing rain and sleet were just getting started at 4 am when I get up for work. I called the attendance line and told them the roads are starting to get dangerous, and that would most likely get me snowed in at work(something I absolutely would not allow to happen), so [gently caress you] I'm not coming in. Talked to a coworker, hardly anyone showed up so they sent everyone home after an hour. I'm holding off on my pto request until they make an announcement or something because if the building is closed, why would I need to use it up?

What my coworkers fail to realize(im not guilt free either, I do well with confrontation but, when I already know you're clearly incompetent, I run out of patience and get a little grouchy) is that we can wrangle these shitheads back to reality when we work together, ya know, kind of like a union. When everyone is in agreement that poo poo isn't being fair, but the sellouts give in, it takes all the momentum away from the movement.

Oh, and just because they put out a Glint survey every month, doesn't mean they're listening or give a poo poo about you. For instance, when they added Saturdays to the 5 day work week, as a 6th day, they recently made them mandatory. If you want out of it, you have to use pto, vacation or take an attendance point. They made sure we knew firsthand, "Guys, this was decided based on your Glint surveys. A lot of you are complaining that only the same group of people are volunteering for Saturdays, so we have now made them mandatory." Remember that earlier group of people?

I wonder, could it ever be possible to create a social media group for non-management people to voice their concerns and come together as a group to push back against the corp, without them actually finding out? My suspicion is that a mole would get in immediately, or some boot licking loud mouth will just screenshot everything to management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

interwhat posted:

a mole would get in immediately, or some boot licking loud mouth will just screenshot everything to management.

If its digital it will be infiltrated.

If its in person only, it will still be infiltrated.

You just have to work around that.