Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm sort of moved in to the new place with it's induction stove and I'm deciding if I want cocoa bad enough to make it in a cast iron skillet, my only functioning pans at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd microwave instead tbh

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'd drink a glass of milk while snorting a line of cocoa.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just set a kettle inside the cast iron

If you have a kettle

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd microwave instead tbh

The microwave is in a bag, down the windy stairs, outside, around the back, in the garage with the last of the last truck load and needs to be carried up. I am Finished Carrying Things for today, but that did tempt me for a min.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'd drink a glass of milk while snorting a line of cocoa.

Hot milk in a shot glass over the eye, snort the cocoa and stick a marshmallow up your arse

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Don't ask what the peppermint stick is for

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Lol I was so tired i somehow didn't notice the microwave over the stove despite setting the clock on it that morning.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Just set a kettle inside the cast iron

If you have a kettle

Hell you could just put a mug in boiling water inside the cast iron.

How do you take it out? Well that's a problem for future you.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Eeyo posted:

Hell you could just put a mug in boiling water inside the cast iron.

How do you take it out? Well that's a problem for future you.

Canning jar lifter.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
In the interest of making hot cocoa, the thread discovers how to prepare hot sake

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Virginia goons - eat this fuckin cheese

https://www.meadowcreekdairy.com/product-page/appalachian

Holy loving poo poo it is good.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That cheese is good.
The one called grayson they make is good but holy hell it stinks.

We had to stop putting it in picnic lunches at one place I worked at it would just stink up everything

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I LOVE the Grayson too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pr0k posted:

What would you compare it to?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

pr0k posted:

For Chanukah this year, my girlfriends mother sent me home with a wheel of cheese made by Virginia nuns, Gouda style. It is so good I traded a quarter wheel for a pair of Covid tests. Okay, so I got a cold and my best friend dropped two off and I thanked him with a quarter wheel. Whatever. The cheese is dope. If you want to order some, you have to mail in an order, or go to Charlottesville.

https://www.olamonastery.org

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Thumposaurus posted:

That cheese is good.
The one called grayson they make is good but holy hell it stinks.

We had to stop putting it in picnic lunches at one place I worked at it would just stink up everything

pr0k posted:

I LOVE the Grayson too.
I've probably eaten 10 pounds of grayson in the last year. It's so freakin good.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

therattle posted:

Noted, thanks. The house was fully renovated about 15 years ago so the wiring isn’t ancient, but well worth checking.

I moved into an apartment that was built in 2019 and paid a premium cuz it was new and allowed dogs. the breaker tripped whenever i used a kettle and a toaster. the place is a piece of poo poo and built poorly as heck.

that said, the poor interior insulation means i heat my place for basically free. i live in new england and i only paid $25/yr in propane to heat my place. summer was expensive to cool though

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

veni veni veni posted:

What would you compare it to?

I'll be honest I don't have enough of a frame of reference.

It's got a few holes, it's the flavor I think of when tony b talks about cheesy tasting natural butter in france but stronger; a tiny bit of crystallization, washed rind still has some flavor but not overmuch. I've never had a super high end gouda but that might be close?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Got a question that I could google, but I want answers from people I trust, and I trust you guys. I don't really know how to phrase it, but basically, freezing meat after trimming and brining or marination, rather than freezing it immediately and then doing all that prep after thawing

Is this a bad idea? If so, why? If not, how much prep can you responsibly do to a piece of meat like that? Could I, for example, have something ready for sous vide, vacuum packed and frozen, and then just put that directly into a sous vide bath without thawing it first? What's the limits on prep like this for meat? I have a chest freezer

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

signalnoise posted:

Could I, for example, have something ready for sous vide, vacuum packed and frozen, and then just put that directly into a sous vide bath without thawing it first?

I don’t know the answer to all your questions, but this one is a definite yes. I do it regularly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I don’t know the answer to all your questions, but this one is a definite yes. I do it regularly.

Hell yes, thanks!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

signalnoise posted:

Got a question that I could google, but I want answers from people I trust, and I trust you guys.

I just prefer the editorializing that only goons can provide. :q:

Quiche looks good on the outside...

Soggy crust :(
Not sure if i should have kept baking it (knife was clean, but not dry), parcooked the crust, or if i should have had the pie plate on a baking sheet.

Opinions? It's my first time making one.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 1, 2022

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Scientastic posted:

I'm not sure I sous vizzle anything NOT from frozen anymore.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Mister Facetious posted:

Not sure if i should have kept baking it (knife was clean, but not dry), parcooked the crust, or if i should have had the pie plate on a baking sheet.

Nice looking quiche! I usually blind bake my shells for quiche at 350 unless I'm making a giant deep dish one for a party. It does look like your custard is a little overbaked. Quiche should look like a creme brulee w/ stuff in it. I pull mine when they jiggle like jello. Either way, it looks tasty.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah I always pull them out when they are jiggly but no longer wavy. They are alway firmer than they appear to be in the oven.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

signalnoise posted:

Hell yes, thanks!

one caveat - if you bang poo poo around in your freezer a lot, make sure you haven't damaged the bag before you set it and forget it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mister Facetious posted:

How much detail do you want?

The kinda sorta important points are:
  • When you're making your dough you really want to work your butter/shortening into the flour fairly aggressively (so there aren't any visible lumps of butter left when you roll it out) to minimise the chances of leaks. Save a little excess dough after you fit the crust into the tin/pan/whatever you're using.
  • Blind bake with weights until the exposed bits of crust start to brown (I usually go around 30 minutes at 375 for a straight butter pâte brisée), remove the weights, patch any visible holes/cracks with the dough you saved above, and then back in the oven for another ~15 minutes until the now-exposed bottom of the crust is golden brown.
  • Temper your milk/cream before making the custard--put it on a medium heat until a skin starts to form (it'll be a little above 160 F/71 C) and then set it aside and let it cool for about 15 minutes...you want the liquid around 140 F/60 C.
  • I do the custard in two batches, and the custard base is 2 cups milk, 2 cups heavy cream, 6 eggs, and seasonings. So I divide the seasonings, heat all the milk and cream together, and then pour 2 cups of milk/cream into the Vitamix, add three eggs, half the seasonings, mix for ~10 seconds to combine, then for ~30 seconds on high to incorporate a lot of air/make it foam a bit
  • Half of whatever filling you're using goes into the (cooled) crust, then half the custard, place the remaining ingredients on top of the custard (the foam should support them a little), and then the second batch of custard.
  • Then the whole thing goes into the oven at 325 for ~1 1/2, until the top is set but still has some jiggle. If you're not confident in not spilling the custard transferring the assembled quiche to the oven, you can reserve a bit of the custard and top it off after you get the quiche in the oven.
I usually blind bake from frozen and always, always, always temper the custard before pouring it, and that really helps prevent sogginess.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
well drat if you aren't a fancy gently caress subg

sup old man

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I had fuckin' quiche for lunch more or less every day for several months from making a quiche a week trying to get my technique right so I have fuckin' opinions on quiche, man.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I just bought a two pack of frozen 8" shells from the bakery i work at. I can't speak to their quality or suitability for quiche though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I just bought a two pack of frozen 8" shells from the bakery i work at. I can't speak to their quality or suitability for quiche though.
That works too, you just don't have to worry about the first bit. The rest I'd still do the same--blind bake from frozen, temper the custard, and so on.

The basic problem is that the custard sets, or starts to set, at around 160 F/71 C. And you want that to happen as quickly as possible so it doesn't make your crust soggy. But eggs start to form curds at around 144 F/62 C. So your ingredients can't be hotter than that or you'll end up with scrambled eggs when you try to mix the custard.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I wonder what Monroe Boston Straus would think about this issue.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

He'd be upset you misspelled his name.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

He'd be upset you misspelled his name.

The pie man defender had logged on.

On a serious note, he had really good thoughts about crust structure for various fillings, and I wonder how the salty nature of a custard quiche would hange things from like a banana custard pie.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SubG posted:

[*]Then the whole thing goes into the oven at 325 for ~1 1/2, until the top is set but still has some jiggle. If you're not confident in not spilling the custard transferring the assembled quiche to the oven, you can reserve a bit of the custard and top it off after you get the quiche in the oven.

I definitely pulled mine too early then. I only went fifty minutes (at 350).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 2, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I definitely pulled mine too early then. I only went fifty minutes (at 350).
Yeah, a higher temperature gives you more or a frittata texture, go with a lower temperature to get more of the slightly wobbly traditional French quiche texture.

The flavour should be fine regardless. A quiche is basically just a very fancy breakfast cassarole so even if you don't go full for the full Keller-esque fiddly multi-day method you still end up with something that's pretty good.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

the keller-esque method is p. good tho

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Yeah, a higher temperature gives you more or a frittata texture, go with a lower temperature to get more of the slightly wobbly traditional French quiche texture.

The flavour should be fine regardless. A quiche is basically just a very fancy breakfast cassarole so even if you don't go full for the full Keller-esque fiddly multi-day method you still end up with something that's pretty good.

When you really think about it, isn’t everything basically just a breakfast casserole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

SubG posted:

I mean it's an egg and cheese pie with some extra filling of choice (I like salmon and spinach with some nutmeg). So absoultely, It's pretty hard to gently caress up to the point of it being actually bad.