Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

hellworld

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1488717031528701956?s=20&t=RxysV5rSewAifMtoQje0Ug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

apparently young mouth is something willem Dafoe says in a movie

https://twitter.com/crabkingthe/status/1478166397821898752?s=21

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

on the east coast it's basically impossible to find nice used things at thrift stores anymore unless you are picking full time. post pandemic, every urban store has a team of people that rotate picking through the new carts/racks when they're rolled out from the back, and on top of that there are a lot of deals being made with employees to buy things before they're even wheeled out. every rural thrift store is completely picked clean by dozens of small time resellers. everywhere, people are fiercely competitive and cut throat about it that you will get shoved for getting in the wrong person's way.

thrifting is fuckin dead

what about estate sales, or do all the people that an executor would hire to run an estate sale pick over everything to grab the good stuff for themselves first? (or let an associate do it for a finders fee)

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 2, 2022

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
America only hasn't had another civil war because everyone is too horrible for more than like, 10 people to work together on anything.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

thrifting is fuckin dead

Goodwill picks all the nice stuff out and puts it online

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Australia. 2nd day of being eligible for my booster, I walked into my booking at the public hospital vaccination centre. I assumed it would be outside as it's basically just nurses giving shots, but it was inside through the main hospital entrance. I weighed up even going in for a bit but I did and I was immediately told by the security guard doing covid check (asking "have you been feeling symptoms or in close contact" etc) that I wasn't allowed to wear my headband p2 (n95 equiv) respirator.

After some questioning, where he got increasingly aggressive seemingly anticipating conflict, I had to take OFF my medical grade fitted respirator and put on the provided surgical mask. I couldn't wear their surgical mask over the top. I couldn't ask for a second opinion. He was about to throw me out of there.

To be IN THE HOSPITAL here you have to wear nothing but a loosely fitted surgical mask. Of course it's hard to blame the guard for being defensive when he's in there all day wearing nothing but a loosely fitted surgical mask

Edit: I walked the gently caress outta there

Hashy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 2, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

pre:
\
 \
  \

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

same account: https://twitter.com/richardkeppler1/status/1488683104084627465?s=12

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Shear Modulus posted:

i dunno about every person but going forward yes, everyone normal who acts as society expects them to and will go to bars, restaurants, and events like it's 2019, stop masking, not get another booster past the one, etc etc can probably expect to catch it multiple times this year with how much omicron doesn't give a poo poo about prior infections

Yup I know multiple people at work who are going to the gym maskless and coincidentally have had covid twice. I assume it's just a matter of time before long covid (what a dumb loving name) starts showing up.

Idiots.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Shear Modulus posted:

what about estate sales, or do all the people that an executor would hire to run an estate sale pick over everything to grab the good stuff for themselves first?

had a coworker who retired to run as full time his side hustle of appraising art objects from estate sales

afaict at least in NYC, wringing the value out of an unsorted estate requires both skills and labor to the point where it's just a job. If somebody has a reasonably sized house and not a lot of storage and kept things in good order then it's going to be trivial to figure out what's valuable and what's not, but if it's some rich person who lost their mind 20 years ago and has a sprawling mess of junk where old newspapers are stacked next to hudson school originals, if you're at the level of the executor or auctioneer or whatever you just try to sell the whole lot to somebody who has the patience and skill to actually separate wheat from chaff

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this guy seems cool

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
I wonder if it’s possible for covid to mutate into an actual benign illness, or if everyone will celebrate each new “milder than the last” variant as it causes 20% excess mortality and liquifies organs on the 5th reinfection

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mycomancy posted:

Oh hey thanks buddy for wrecking this delusion I didn't even know I had until it shattered like hot glass dunked in cold water

Every loving """"""""normal"""""""" dumbass has caught COVID multiple times?! Jesus I need to buy solar panels like now.

By official numbers, 20% of Americans have had it. In Slovenia, 35% of people have officially tested positive, the worst for any large country.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

oh ffs

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Ah fomite spread the bane of the covid thread

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

what's your point?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

A whole country just got covid from not washing the groceries

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

what about estate sales, or do all the people that an executor would hire to run an estate sale pick over everything to grab the good stuff for themselves first? (or let an associate do it for a finders fee)

i only visit the occasional thrift store anymore, but might start hitting estates again this year. pre pandemic you had to show up at 4 or 5 a.m. to even a mediocre estate sale to get a good place in line. for the primo sales, you will absolutely be camping out in line the day before the sale. all the good stuff usually gets sold within the first few minutes, so you might be leaving empty handed if you take a wrong turn into a lovely room inside the residence. i imagine it's much worse now.

that said, it's still possible to get perfectly serviceable furniture, clothes, tools and housewares at estate sales for cheap or sometimes even free. i'm just a design nerd that shops for extremely specific vintage clothes and furniture but refuses to pay fair market value -- that's the stuff that's pretty much unattainable for me now vs before the pandemic.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

kreeningsons posted:

you're not really out there unless you see one of these signs

hahah what the gently caress
dude buying horses on sight

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Tzen posted:

hahah what the gently caress
dude buying horses on sight

dont look a grift horse in the mouth

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Lacrosse posted:

I like to travel to the Washington State coast to explore so I end up stopping for gas at a lot of dead or dying rural towns out there, many of them look like they're less than a decade away from just falling into the slough/Straight of Juan de Fuca/Pacific Ocean. I was in a place called Clallam Bay in 2019, the only businesses in town were the general store and a car shop and the car shop went out of business and had a for sale sign up. Once the general store there goes it's going to be like an hour to the next town for groceries assuming the highway hasn't been taken out by a landslide again.

I heard The Goonies town of Astoria, Oregon was encountering this sort of collapse, along with a meth/opioid epidemic.

I'm eventually moving near parents in a 'town' that consists of a rail crossing and post-office, and a lot of farms selling as their owners die off, but this is in canada where there is at least an attempt by the government in maintaining aspects of civilization (so long as you aren't on a native reserve). it's eye opening seeing stuff like Appalachia or stories of people hunting game in Detroit. there is a level of destitution and lawlessness in parts of america that are unbelievable.

Durf fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 2, 2022

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

whoever dug up the pazuzu statue, can you pls return it? thx

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mycomancy posted:

Serious question from a dumbass North American who hasn't been able to get off this landmass: are other rural areas decaying as badly as they are here? Like if I travel to the deep west of Ireland, or the middle of Italy, or central France, wherever in Europe away from a big city, is poo poo falling apart there too?

Japan has the most interesting for my money, where you'll have like an entire network of towns that are serviced by the same general store that is in the back of a truck, because all the people who live there are so old they can't commute to the next town over and can't work a store in their own town. It's genuinely fascinating to see a whole geographic region literally and figuratively senesce.

China's big enough that it's hard to talk about it in generalities but many rural areas have been imploding for a while now, but to me it evokes more of an old west thing where a snake oil salesman comes in and sells some big project and then bails out right before it could possibly benefit the people living there. And of course rural areas are deeply dependent on remittances from the big cities in some pretty brutal ways, I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing a similar type of strangling aging as in Japan.

And of course, India's rural areas are...I mean they just literally had nationwide agricultural strikes because the oppression of farmers got so advanced that subsistence farmers couldn't justify showing up. Debts for farmers are increasing at double the rate of incomes, leading to what is at this point a 50 year running suicide epidemic, which has been exacerbated by some truly insane financial bullshit like "the government wiping out rural savings by fiat."

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

So what

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/avierkant/status/1488662509892640770?s=20&t=BIpvUXIeu-K2eb0f4V9q4Q

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

this stuff is so dumb because it actually validates what trump was saying

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tulip posted:

Japan has the most interesting for my money, where you'll have like an entire network of towns that are serviced by the same general store that is in the back of a truck, because all the people who live there are so old they can't commute to the next town over and can't work a store in their own town. It's genuinely fascinating to see a whole geographic region literally and figuratively senesce.

there's this old wordpress blog i found called Spike Japan that goes WAY into depth on all this, with great pictures and writing. Highly recommend

https://spikejapan.wordpress.com/

tldr, every old industry town in Japan is dying (literally, all the people are old and no one young is coming) and full of decaying buildings and stuff

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Tulip posted:

my wife already cares for the elderly and we were briefly considering moving to Tokushima after seeing it on a Prime travel show.

stunningly beautiful Miyasaki-style forest towns full of old people but i'm not sure if immigration has gotten any easier or if they'd even want gaijin there

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the signs here specifically say USED test strips though?

probably those people are looking to buy used test strips for the tiny amount of gold used as electrical contacts on the strip. it's a lot of work and exposure to strong acids (nitric, sulfuric, &c) to get a pretty small amount of low quality gold. there used to be a lot more gold in test strips made less than a decade ago, but most modern test strips that i've encountered don't seem to have any gold on the contacts.

oh and btw don't throw out those old Pentium CPUs or other older (20 years+) chips/RAM because people on eBay buy that stuff in bulk so they can recover the gold. scrappers, man.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

WampaLord posted:

there's this old wordpress blog i found called Spike Japan that goes WAY into depth on all this, with great pictures and writing. Highly recommend

tldr, every old industry town in Japan is dying (literally, all the people are old and no one young is coming) and full of decaying buildings and stuff

I loved this and followed it when it was still updating. Oddly, I don't think the author, who is a professional writer and writes for IIRC the financial times, ever wrote anything long form again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

I loved this and followed it when it was still updating. Oddly, I don't think the author, who is a professional writer and writes for IIRC the financial times, ever wrote anything long form again.

drat, what a shame, i would read an entire book of this kind of stuff, he captures the feeling of a time gone by so well the way he writes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Durf posted:

I heard The Goonies town of Aurora, Oregon was encountering this sort of collapse, along with a meth/opioid epidemic.

I'm eventually moving near parents in a 'town' that consists of a rail crossing and post-office, and a lot of farms selling as their owners die off, but this is in canada where there is at least an attempt by the government in maintaining aspects of civilization (so long as you aren't on a native reserve). it's eye opening seeing stuff like Appalachia or stories of people hunting game in Detroit. there is a level of destitution and lawlessness in parts of america that are unbelievable.

it's called Astoria

Aurora is the town from Wayne's World.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

WampaLord posted:

thanks for this

we used to watch these walking videos. most are maintained heritage/tourist sites like this neat fishing village, but there are some in rural areas that look a bit gone to seed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeEIHRjFYNw

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's called Astoria

Aurora is the town from Wayne's World.

whoops

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Louisgod posted:

for staff only: please check the box most applicable. Patient is here for:

[_] fever
[_] difficulty breathing
[_] just passing by, wanted to say hi
[_] COVID

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1488690738825248769?s=20&t=OhheenWWw7cgO2zs4cYkFA

why do people usually go to British Columbia

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979298&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=331#post521165990

Apr 7, 2003

WampaLord posted:

I found the difference between decaying Japan and decaying America

quote:

Best of all, the state has not abdicated or shirked its responsibilities: there are still at least a dozen post offices, the fire engines are spit-polished and ready to respond to the monthly fire, and the public payphones, should you need one, are immaculate. Nor is the state rapacious: if you qualify, two-bedroom apartments in newish public blocks rent for around £150 a month, there are forty sheltered housing units for the elderly that rent for less than £30 a month, and if you’re old and poor enough, someone will come and shovel your snow away for nothing.

Apr 7, 2003

lol that's where the totalitarian quip came from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

blatman posted:

dont look a grift horse in the mouth