Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Golden Girls is way funnier than Keeping Up Appearances. At least it has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

timing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

more than one joke?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

docbeard posted:

more than one joke?

That, too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Most funerals are funnier than British comedies, I don't think it's much of a merit for golden girls

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I thought You Rang MLord was funny.

Except when they were being mean to Mabel.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Keeping Up Appearances used to be one of my favorite shows, but watching it fairly recently I was struck by how sad Onslow and Daisy's relationship was. No wonder she sits sucking her thumb and reading romance novels all the time; Onslow barely acknowledges her at all except to ask for beer. It just wasn't that funny/hadn't aged particularly well.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Most funerals are funnier than British comedies, I don't think it's much of a merit for golden girls

I thought the original The Office was pretty funny. Every other British comedy I’ve ever seen has been godawful though.

Since this is thread for bad opinions and goons seem to love the show:

Red Dwarf is borderline unwatchable. It’s not funny, and it’s bereft of any entertainment value whatsoever. I’m convinced it’s some sort of prank that goons are playing on each other by suggesting it.

It’s abysmal. Just total crap.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Robobot posted:

I thought the original The Office was pretty funny. Every other British comedy I’ve ever seen has been godawful though.

At first I thought this was a terrible opinion.

Robobot posted:

Red Dwarf is borderline unwatchable. It’s not funny, and it’s bereft of any entertainment value whatsoever. I’m convinced it’s some sort of prank that goons are playing on each other by suggesting it.

But maybe you’re onto something after all.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Robobot posted:

Depends on the season. The "classic" seasons, I-V, are great. VI-VIII are not great but have some classics. I haven't seen the newer ones.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Darkplace is good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Darkplace is good.

Exception that proves the rule

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's quite the exception though

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Well it’s a really strong rule

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

good british comedy: withnail and i, the trip with steve coogan and rob brydon, much of the other stuff that's funny is mostly unintentional

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's insanely hosed up that the best podcast, E1, earns so little on Patreon. Those guys should not have to work other jobs. They do more good for the world than any doctor.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Once I ruined a sleepover because I saw the host got Monty Python's Flying Circus on his parent's fancy cable package and I insisted we all watch it, despite never seeing it myself. Half an hour later, everyone decided to just go to sleep.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hardcordion posted:

Once I ruined a sleepover because I saw the host got Monty Python's Flying Circus on his parent's fancy cable package and I insisted we all watch it, despite never seeing it myself. Half an hour later, everyone decided to just go to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzi0I3hEC7I

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
These days, the individual restaurant you are in matters 100x more than what part of the US you are in, when it comes to good BBQ. I've had amazing BBQ in Minneapolis and Chicago, and I've had terrible BBQ in Kansas City and Nashville. It doesn't matter where you are in the US. A skilled pitmaster can smoke meat properly and mix a good sauce. You can source good ingredients anywhere, and the knowledge of how to properly prepare it has become so widespread that geography doesn't matter.

This is true for pretty much any other style of food as well. The only exception being Seafood. You gotta be near the ocean for good seafood.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've eaten meat from Wal Mart and BBQ joints, in the Pacific Northwest, Texas, Australia. All I can say is it all tastes like a dead animal (or maybe an amalgamation of thousands of dead animals) with whatever flavor of loving whatever I put on it.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Peep Show is incredibly funny.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Crespolini posted:

"Men with ven" still crack's me up.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70XkFKaq3W4

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Thick of It is very funny and has a lot of swears.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister were excellent. I liked The Men from the Ministry as a kid but don't know if it holds up today. (It's a radio show, not TV.)

e: Oh not an opinion but I just learned that when the Finnish version of The Men from the Ministry, called Knalli ja sateenvarjo ran out of British episodes to translate, the original writer Edward Taylor started writing new scripts just for the Finnish show.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Feb 2, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I like that British show where they read the news but do it in these ridiculous voices. Hell of a gimmick

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

I like that British show where they read the news but do it in these ridiculous voices. Hell of a gimmick

That's just the British news.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The funniest thing to come out of England in the past two centuries has been Brexit.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

This is what it felt like to watch Monty Python & the Holy Grail with someone who suggested it to me. Just absolute torture.

Crespolini posted:

I loved Peep Show too, as well as Ab Fab and the British Office. I'm afraid to endorse them though, because I haven't rewatched any of them in like the past decade.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Peep Show holds up but in the way Always Sunny generally does - by being incredibly clear every member of the cast is a complete monster.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Crespolini posted:

The scene where Super Hans quits crack and ends up running to Windsor is great. “I’ve mistakenly run to Windsor! I didn’t mean to but the endorphins kicked in and…I couldn’t stop! My legs are gone man, I’m a jelly! Feels fuckin brilliant!”

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

any shortcomings of the holy grail are completely redeemed by one line:

"how do you know he's a king?"

"he hasn't got poo poo all over him"

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

hawowanlawow posted:

any shortcomings of the holy grail are completely redeemed by one line:

"how do you know he's a king?"

"he hasn't got poo poo all over him"

This new learning amazes me; tell me again how we may employ sheep's bladders to prevent earthquakes.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

This new learning amazes me; tell me again how we may employ sheep's bladders to prevent earthquakes.

I'm no scientist, but logic would say that filling them up with helium and then attaching them to the ground would lift the ground a bit thus relieving some of the pressure caused by tidal shifts of the moon (the main cause of earthquakes).

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Darkplace is good.

Darkplace, Look Around You, I'm Alan Partridge and The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer are the four that I'd recommend, although I'd argue that the later three are maybe too British for export?

Spaced is a weird one - it was nice to see nerds represented on screen in a way that felt honest, but nerds are too powerful now.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Feb 3, 2022

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Oh yeah! I kinda enjoyed some of Spaced. An ex of mine made me sit through that entire show back in the early 2000s. She was also the one that made me watch The Office and tried to inflict Red Dwarf on me.

Real mixed bag that girlfriend. She was also obsessed with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

You get two guesses what dyed hair color she always used.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Robobot posted:

You get two guesses what dyed hair color she always used.

I genuinely have no clue

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

peroxide

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Red and a Jack Skellington tattoo?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Red and a Jack Skellington tattoo?

Red = incorrect (part way there though!)

I’ll give you the Nightmare Before Christmas tattoo, but it was Sally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Are you allowed to just date the personification of Hot Topic like that?