Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/starwars_chars/status/1488615656798908416?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

i loved his little cartoons in mad magazine

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

mastershakeman posted:

Wheel of time had a good opportunity to streamline things and stop resurrections of bad guys but isn't going to

Wow, i never thought of that of it like that, but, yeah the story was just a top 10 countdown. How would you change that?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I never read any of the wheel of time books, but watching the show is like looking at 80's fantasy novel covers, and that makes me feel nostalgic, so I guess that makes me the target demographic for the show.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Koirhor posted:

except Char was good and correct, Marco is just a narcissist

the expanse authors are dumb libs who

- create a setting where two superpowers mutually exploit an underclass of people who live in zero-gee and cannot live on planets

- develop the setting so the extinction of their spacefaring culture is inevitable due to the ring gates opening up many many habitable planets

- have a character who recognizes this and attempts to create a belter society by belters for belters

- psych, he's an idiot narcissist who doesn't actually care about that, he's DUMB AND OH SO CRAZY

- double psych, the epilogue of the last novel reveals that belter society did die out and go extinct

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Horizon Burning posted:

- double psych, the epilogue of the last novel reveals that belter society did die out and go extinct

not really

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

indigi posted:

not really

the belter language is called out as extinct ("considered dead for a thousand years" before the guy meets Amos who says he can speak it) and there's zero way for a spacefaring society like the belters to survive the loss of the gates. the only people who survived would be the ones living on planets and developed ones capable of sustaining their own significant populations at that because the whole of the human expanse had been using the gates for trade and supplies. remember in babylon's ashes where marco's attack on earth dooms the whole system because earth was the only source for particular things to grow food? there's a reason why the epilogue talks about "pre-collapse" dialects and stuff.

even the authors have said the reason they did an epilogue 3000 years in the future or whatever was because they didn't know how humanity would survive the end of leviathan falls.

anything else is cope, sorry.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I never read any of the wheel of time books, but watching the show is like looking at 80's fantasy novel covers, and that makes me feel nostalgic, so I guess that makes me the target demographic for the show.

it's good to have a hard fantasy out there and some of the scenes are stellar. i still say it's worth watching and has potential but as a whole gets an "oof" from me. i'm actually hopeful the second season will be better than the first

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Expanse is pretty lib but I don't see Belter society dying out over a long period time as a bad thing if the reason is "go to one of the free planets that are much easier to live on." Haven't read the books tho

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Koirhor posted:

except Char was good and correct, Marco is just a narcissist

bro i don't think you understand char aznable's character

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

Expanse is pretty lib but I don't see Belter society dying out over a long period time as a bad thing if the reason is "go to one of the free planets that are much easier to live on." Haven't read the books tho

the belters can't live on planets. the gravity will basically crush them in slow motion. naomi can't even last something like twenty minutes on a planet in the fourth book and multiple books mention parents wanting their kids to be born down a gravity well so they won't grow up as belters. the tv series downplays the physiological differences between belters and the populations of earth and mars and makes it more of a cultural thing but it still includes a plot where naomi can't survive on ilus, so, same deal in the end. she spends weeks or months training her body for it and it just doesn't matter. the transport union is created at the end of book six in order to give the belters some reason to exist as a culture/society/people but that is also based around the ring network existing, too.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Horizon Burning posted:

the belter language is called out as extinct ("considered dead for a thousand years" before the guy meets Amos who says he can speak it) and there's zero way for a spacefaring society like the belters to survive the loss of the gates. the only people who survived would be the ones living on planets and developed ones capable of sustaining their own significant populations at that because the whole of the human expanse had been using the gates for trade and supplies. remember in babylon's ashes where marco's attack on earth dooms the whole system because earth was the only source for particular things to grow food? there's a reason why the epilogue talks about "pre-collapse" dialects and stuff.

even the authors have said the reason they did an epilogue 3000 years in the future or whatever was because they didn't know how humanity would survive the end of leviathan falls.

anything else is cope, sorry.

1) who cares what the authors say they clearly don’t understand their own books 2) every language contemporary to the main timeline has died out, they only barely understand Amos who is clearly the translator for the rest of the dipshits around him 3) nothing is said of Mars or Ganymede which were both self sufficient and Mars would be finished terraforming by then they’re probably just out there chillin 4) Earth has clearly collapsed in on itself due to whatever reason (overpopulation and climate crisis) so they don’t know poo poo about poo poo anyway

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

indigi posted:

1) who cares what the authors say they clearly don’t understand their own books 2) every language contemporary to the main timeline has died out, they only barely understand Amos who is clearly the translator for the rest of the dipshits around him 3) nothing is said of Mars or Ganymede which were both self sufficient and Mars would be finished terraforming by then they’re probably just out there chillin 4) Earth has clearly collapsed in on itself due to whatever reason (overpopulation and climate crisis) so they don’t know poo poo about poo poo anyway

yeah, the mars terraforming project that'd been stripped out for the new colonies and laconia like three decades before would surely get up and running again when the gates shut down without warning. you'd think the explorer guy would mention mars at all in the epilogue if that was the case

cope cope cope marco was right.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so i decided to jump in and read the watchmen

I'm a few chapters in and it's pretty good so far

everyone is loving deranged and afraid of Armageddon in a way that i intuitively understand in the year 2022 even if i was like 2 when this dropped

the noir is pretty tasty and they manage to make interesting juxtapositions with the art, which waffles from uninteresting scrawl to compelling splash pieces

if i was of a certain age and attitude in 80s and a comic book geek, i can definitely see how this would be the wildest poo poo I'd ever read

my favorite media from any era is the media that shits on the era it was made in, it feels like one of the only ways to get an accurate idea of how people actually felt rather than the big trends and whatever passes for history / memory into the global super consciousness

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

read Transmetropolitan next lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

smarxist posted:

my favorite media from any era is the media that shits on the era it was made in, it feels like one of the only ways to get an accurate idea of how people actually felt rather than the big trends and whatever passes for history / memory into the global super consciousness
'tis good. e.g. also just about every Steinbeck book (seriously steinbeck was extremely good and hated early 1900s capitalism)

time to read some Pynchon imo.

weirdly im not aware of much that just absolutely blasts the 90s neolib era. I guess Fight Club?

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:54 on Feb 2, 2022

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Xaris posted:

lol rip del toro. cancelled by internet for implying manchildren bad

tbf I haven't had the energy to watch anything beyond feel-good escapism lately and I don't blame anyone wanting to be babby

when things were relatively good in the 90s/00s i was always looking for a reason to feel miserable and indulge in some heartbreaking indie flick

these days the real world sucks enough, and while I do usually enjoy it when we force ourselves to watch something with artistic merit, most of the time it's just easier to put on some harmless sci-fi or mystery

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

also weirdest/funniest thing about the Expanse show was when one of the actors was outed as a sex pest so they killed their character off-camera then cut to an obvious doctored still representing their floating dead body.

i mean they did their best given the situation but they basically gave them the Poochy treatment. i had to rewind a few times to understand wtf just happened

also this was kinda fun but a bit silly to put in the final climactic scene of the series. its like a fanboy Xcom roster

Durf has issued a correction as of 10:56 on Feb 2, 2022

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

i say swears online posted:

it's good to have a hard fantasy out there and some of the scenes are stellar. i still say it's worth watching and has potential but as a whole gets an "oof" from me. i'm actually hopeful the second season will be better than the first

the pacing is so loving weird. why have a whole episode about warders and what their deal is then mash 3/4 of the book into like 3 episodes.

it's definitely banking on nostalgia for the books which start out okay for pulp fantasy and then nosedive into unreadable nonsense after the first 3 for the most part. the money and effort is there but that's true of most big budget sci-fi/fantasy series

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
make a first law TV series you loving cowards

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Durf posted:

also weirdest/funniest thing about the Expanse show was when one of the actors was outed as a sex pest so they killed their character off-camera then cut to an obvious doctored still representing their floating dead body.

they also lied about it. they said anvar's sex pest antics would have no effect on the season and he'd be written out between seasons. then some behind the scenes pictures came out showing that, at minimum, they reshot the last few episodes to remove him. and given that every other scene past the second episode is just him and bobbie on the razorback set sitting in the same chairs, it's likely they replaced the martian intrigue/rescue plot with all of that in a few days, too.

it's especially funny because removing alex has very little effect. he literally just drives the ship and says hoss a lot. putting holden in as the pilot is much more interesting and effective. but then alex is more prominent in the next books they have to adapt and well now what. you can't recast him because you killed him. and inventing another character to take his place won't really make sense with the events that come later. they can't put filip in his place because they've just done that plot with clarissa. it's an issue that seems minor at first but compounds on itself.

and then they draw attention to it in like every second episode of the final season by having every main character be like, 'man, do you miss alex? i miss alex' when the smart thing to do would've been to just ignore it as much as possible. and if they did it this way to try and separate the art from the allegations well every single person who sees that doctored still is going to go 'wtf' and google it and learn about it.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

smarxist posted:

make a first law TV series you loving cowards

Book of the New Sun imo. If we are wishing for impossible fantasy adaptations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah, the mars terraforming project that'd been stripped out for the new colonies and laconia like three decades before would surely get up and running again when the gates shut down without warning. you'd think the explorer guy would mention mars at all in the epilogue if that was the case

cope cope cope marco was right.

lol did u read the books, at no point is it even hinted that Mars is no longer self sufficient plus the ring gates closed. Martian hardliners won in the end. it’s ok to have headcannon though so live ur truth

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Yadoppsi posted:

Book of the New Sun imo. If we are wishing for impossible fantasy adaptations.

first law isn’t impossible it’s extremely boilerplate low fantasy, a ton of it doesn’t even need sets. it’s basically Conan with 8% more magic and you’d have to shoot some of it in a European city with a bunch of its old architecture

i say swears online posted:

it would be nice but given they lost the only good actor on the show idk how much better it can get. I suppose they could work out the pacing issues and that alone would bump it up to a C+

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

indigi posted:

lol did u read the books, at no point is it even hinted that Mars is no longer self sufficient plus the ring gates closed. Martian hardliners won in the end. it’s ok to have headcannon though so live ur truth

i suggest you reread the epilogue of the fourth book which is all about how mars is a ghost town, a planet nobody wants with a failing terraforming project, and termed a failed state in the aftermath of the rings opening lmao. in book 5, mars is called a ghost town again (repeatedly) with a government that can't stop it from depopulating itself and a terraforming project that has fallen to pieces. book 6 the martian prime minister is a called a hospice nurse for his planet. and that's all before the skip to the rise of laconia (where mars is never mentioned in any significant capacity.) for three decades or however long it is, mars was basically being stripped for parts to fund the outer colonies because all of mars terraforming stuff was more useful out there, this isn't subtle. and all the hardliners went to form their space sparta society on laconia. yeah, I'm sure the guy coming to visit the sol system for the first time in however many years just ignored the terraformed, self-sufficient mars and went straight for earth.

did you read the books?

Horizon Burning has issued a correction as of 14:47 on Feb 2, 2022

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
yeah mars peters out hard, bobbie and alex spend the books kinda fretting that mars is doomed even before Laconia happens in books 7-9, and after that I'm not sure the planet is even mentioned again

and at the end of the series it's pretty drat clear that even earth eats poo poo real hard pretty fast, the demographics don't recover after 2/3rds of earth are killed and half of the survivors at least are in whatever system they ended up in, and the system is dead and gone by the time it's rediscovered by anyone else

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Horizon Burning posted:

i suggest you reread the epilogue of the fourth book which is all about how mars is a ghost town, a planet nobody wants with a failing terraforming project, and termed a failed state in the aftermath of the rings opening lmao. in book 5, mars is called a ghost town again (repeatedly) with a government that can't stop it from depopulating itself and a terraforming project that has fallen to pieces. book 6 the martian prime minister is a called a hospice nurse for his planet. and that's all before the skip to the rise of laconia (where mars is never mentioned in any significant capacity.) for three decades or however long it is, mars was basically being stripped for parts to fund the outer colonies, this isn't subtle. and all the hardliners went to form their space sparta society on laconia. yeah, I'm sure the guy coming to visit the sol system for the first time in however many years just ignored the terraformed, self-sufficient mars and went straight for earth.

did you read the books?

they didn’t strip the planet for parts in book six lmao all the terraforming poo poo is explicitly left there because it’s useless on the human-habitable planets people were going to. Mars is absolutely mentioned multiple times during the Laconia plotline as a political and military player so idk what you’re talking about with that. combined with the ring gate closing and the Earth in environmental and demographic collapse it would certainly lead to a mass exodus of the wealthy and their retinue to Mars (as they are currently trying to do for-real) while interplanetary space travel was still functional. also “ghost town” is figurative language it doesn’t mean only ghosts live there

Serf
May 5, 2011

all I want is a mistborn tv show before civilization collapses

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Watching Sopranos and while it's well made it has that Breaking Bad kind of thing going on where absolutely everything depicted is loving awful

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Serf posted:

Alloy of law would be ten times better since fewer powers keeps things simple

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Watching Sopranos and while it's well made it has that Breaking Bad kind of thing going on where absolutely everything depicted is loving awful

i mean the sopranos literally started that whole trend

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Tony's sister claims to be on full SSDI because of carpal tunnel. Nice of HBO writers to throw disabled people under the bus like that

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Serf posted:

Making it as bad as the WoT show would be an excellent bit.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Bobby bacala is pretty much the best one

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I never watched the Sopranos do they call it sauce or gravy?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I remember watching the finale because it was so controversial, where they just all go to a restaurant and eat then the credits. People lost their poo poo but what I don't get is that like half the episodes end with the family just digging into a plate of pasta, the finale wasn't even unique.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6eqqOhETeM

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is anyone trying to preserve the knowledge of pop culture against some sort of civilization ending catastrophe like the Svalbard seed vault??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
After The Event I wanna be sitting around a trash fire with a fellow scavenger arguing about a specific episode of Frasier and then we hike a month to this concrete bunker compound where some guy in flowing robes with a gun comes out and we ask him who is correct and he goes in and checks The Archive and comes out and is like yeah Eddie chewed up Niles' Italian leather loafers in that episode, not Frasier's and we'll be like ohhhh and get back to our lives of murdering people for cans of pre-Event corned beef hash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

After The Event I wanna be sitting around a trash fire with a fellow scavenger arguing about a specific episode of Frasier and then we hike a month to this concrete bunker compound where some guy in flowing robes with a gun comes out and we ask him who is correct and he goes in and checks The Archive and comes out and is like yeah Eddie chewed up Niles' Italian leather loafers in that episode, not Frasier's and we'll be like ohhhh and get back to our lives of murdering people for cans of pre-Event corned beef hash

according to station eleven everyone is going to be really obsessed with shakespeare