Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Froist posted:

I've done the part where there are the rooms with 3 switches, and beaten Golvog. There's not much guesswork in the 3-switch rooms as they play a jingle when you get them right. But now I'm running round flicking switches on computers and they don't seem to give any clues whether I'm doing it correctly. I guess this is the part you mean?

It's definitely a slog at this point but I'm close enough to see it through. Don't think I ever got beyond Tibet as a kid!

This is goddamn hilarious because I was playing that part of the game with the sound off.

For that last part, just run around and make sure every switch is flipped down. If you haven't finished already, you're mere minutes from the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Of the three games, I definitely enjoyed Hammerin' Harry the most. The Flying level really did a number on me, though. I was initially pretty shocked with how good it looked at such a low resolution, and that floppy harry animation in the plane made me legit laugh out loud.

007 and Quarth weren't really my bag, but it was nice to try something a bit outside of my usual tastes. I bet I would have enjoyed both a lot more when I was younger, if I'd had em to plug into my gold Game Boy Pocket.

I love this thread concept, as I didn't expand my game-boy tastes much outside of Pokemon, Tetris, Mario, and Metroid. Really excited to see where the RNG pick takes us next month!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Announcing our games for February 2022! A little early but I've got more time to write up this post now than I'll likely have in the next day or two.

Game #1 - The Random Selection

It only took this first month to convince me that having one of these games randomly selected is a phenomenal idea, because this is a game that a) I had no idea existed on the Game Boy Color and b) I likely never would have picked myself.

Cruis'n Exotica

The third game in the Cruis'n series got a port to both the N64 and the GBC in 2000. Critical receptions were not kind, though there was some praise for the fact that they got a reasonable facsimile of a Cruis'n game running on the GBC at all. Is this likely to be a good game? No, probably not, but that's all part of the fun.

Game #2 - bowmore's Selection

For his sins in suggesting the split format we're now using, bowmore was charged with selecting our second game for this month.

bowmore posted:

Pinball: Revenge of Gator

The first handheld pinball game to embrace the spirit of a real pinball table. Made by HAL, you know, those people that did Kirby (so you know they know about round things). The ball physics feel nice and the graphics are nice though not amazing - the simply designed table lets you focus on whacking that ball and getting a high score. Even though Pinball: Revenge of Gator came out early in the Game Boy lifespan I think it perfectly encapsulates what Game Boy was made for - short bursts of pick up and play fun times!! It’s not a classic but I think it’s a game everyone should experience at least once.

Jeremy Parish did a nice video on the subject

Game Boy World #012: Revenge of the Gator (HAL, 1989)

The person with the highest score at the end of the month gets to choose the next game!

Game #3 - Mode 7's Selection
So that just leaves me. I had a few ideas on my short list for this month but given that our random selection and bowmore's choice both tend towards being shorter experiences, I thought I'd select something we can dig our teeth into.

Mole Mania

A top down puzzle game, in Mole Mania you play Muddy the Mole and work your way through a series of interconnected single screen puzzles to rescue your wife and kids from the evil farmer Jinbe. Muddy can dig underground to move around rooms out of sight of enemies and under obstructions, as well as push or throw large black balls around the room in order to crush or trap enemies. The game was originally released in 1996 and received a re-release on the Nintendo 3DS VC in 2012. What makes it particularly noteworthy is that it was produced by Shigeru Miyamoto, definitely one of his lesser known games.

You can find a copy of the manual for the game here!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

As an admirer of Game Boy racing games, I can say with some authority that Cruis'n Exotica is Bad.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The gameplay footage I've seen is not super encouraging. :allears:

What would you say the standout GB/GBC racing games are?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A lot of the top down stuff tends to be good, Colin McRae Rally got a good port, and Star Wars Episode 1 Racer was a very similar design and worked for the same reasons. The issues with many racers on the GB/C is turn anticipation (the Micro Machines problem), those 2 I mentioned used turn indicators to help with that because the draw distance in many games just isn’t enough to do the long runs of signs leading into a turn that main console stuff could do. Wave Race was one of those games that tends to be forgotten behind the rest of that series. Some of the Lego Racers games as well were good, especially the one that was basically a slot car game (Stunt Driver I think). Behind the car stuff didn’t really get consistently good until the GBA really, Colin McRae Rally 2.0 especially got an extremely good GBA port.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Oh nice, I've been wanting to play Mole Mania for a long time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

man i love revenge of the gator, one of my most played gb games as a kid, getting some of the bonus rooms is hard as gently caress

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Never even heard of the first two, and all I know about Mole Mania is there's a pretty bad creepypasta about it, so this should be interesting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

For the Analogue Pocket owners, here these are links to the IPS patches to convert the ROMs to GB Studio format.

Revenge of the Gator

Mole Mania

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
Seeing Mole Mania in the list is awesome because I've always wanted to give it a solid shot, but I'm waaaayyyy more into this gator pinball thing than I ever would have expected. Great picks this month, guys.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mole Mania has been on my backlist for years so perfect time to knock it out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm going to try the dogshit Cruisn' port.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

When I do get time to sit down with these I'm starting with Cruis'n with a "gotta eat all your vegetables before you get dessert" mindset.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There is no way Cruis'n Exotica lives up to that box art

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love Mole Mania. I'm really surprised Nintendo hasn't done anything with it since. They really had a great opportunity to revive it during the 3/DS era. I'm sure they could have thought up some good dual screen gimmick.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Neat. I've dabbled more in Kirby's Pinball Land myself but this is a nice spread of GB eras.

Edit: Huh, Crusin' is done by Crawfish, one of the more prolific GBC / A dev houses. They did the pretty great Street Fighter conversions on the GBC and GBA

Edit 2: Is there anything to 100%ing Mole Mania?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 31, 2022

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I’m not sure I like Cruisin’ Exotica very much. I don’t think it’s a very good game.

I got third place and was told to retry and I’m not sure I wasn’t max speed the whole time. I did hit some cars but I’m pretty sure I drove right through them without collision of any kind.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah Cruis'n isn't great. I gave it the old college try and tried to win races, chose different cars, unlocked the forklift, etc... Racing games aren't really my thing to begin with, but Burnout this ain't.

Mole Mania on the other hand fuckin rules. It gets really tough! I'm on world 5 and I just find myself staring slack-jawed at the levels trying to visualize the solution. I might be getting old.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah Mole Mania is super great. I had no idea about this game.

And Revenge if the Gator is great. I’m curious what kind of high scores people will be getting. I’d love to pick a game but my score on my first attempt is probably not going to break any records :) (~250k)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I knew about Mole Mania when it was new but never got around to it. I never heard of Gator until decades later. A shame it took so long since I love Kirby’s Pinball and they’re on the same engine. The physics on both are really impressive for hardware.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I put up 124k in my first try at Gator and I can see the 500k starting top score becoming a personal target to chase.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Crusin' pinballs from being perfectly acceptable (if lofi) to being utter hash on a second by second basis.
I have no idea what the wheelie move is supposed to accomplish.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ConanThe3rd posted:

Crusin' pinballs from being perfectly acceptable (if lofi) to being utter hash on a second by second basis.
I have no idea what the wheelie move is supposed to accomplish.

Yeah I cracked up when that happened.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
oh hell yeah

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Finally loaded the games onto my analogue.

Only tried two of them but here goes:

Revenge of the gator has the cutest game boy title screen ever. It's not a bad pinball game, should be fun for people to chase high scores here. Don't forget to post those scores!

Cruisin Exotica...
Okay how is this not a scam. Imagine being a kid and buying this/your parents buying this for you. What an awful game and that was a lot of effort they did to make... Well. This.

This was really interesting to see and that should be part of the club experience, not only play good games you may haven't played, but also see the bad ones and realize how much better off games are these days.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Wow yeah Crusin really blows. It's also nothing like Crusin other than it has cars I guess. VRally is a much better GBC racer.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No GBC racing game can compete with cubix rac'n robotos

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Cruising reminds me of Tony hawk 1 game boy color another awful awful game

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon
Sometimes RNGesus will bless. Sometimes you get Cruis'n Exotica. This is our fate. This is our curse.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The first time I saw the heli-spin I thought I had hosed up majorly, but the game gives like a celebratory text pop-up so what the gently caress do I know

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Was there any version of Cruisin' Exotica that was good? I remember trying to play the N64 version last year and not really enjoying it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't think so, this would've been after Cruis'n started going down the tubes if memory serves.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The arcade version is alright but it's a game you play once or twice and go "neat". The new (well, not really new but you know) one for Switch is cool though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

njsykora posted:

I don't think so, this would've been after Cruis'n started going down the tubes if memory serves.

The newest one, Blast, is good. I recommend it if you got a Switch.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Don't forget to post those scores!

After spending far more time than I'd like to admit, I finally beat my personal goal of 250k. Now I can rest.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im glad to see people liking revenge of the gator

i used to hate screen B (just above the first screen where you enter), it's hard to get into because you have to hit your shot up the left tunnel just right, and once you're in you have to spend a lot of time clearing the screen while keeping the holes plugged up so you don't just immediately fall out, it's very rare that i actually got to clear it and see the rest of the screens

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Pretty happy with that for my first attempt!

Didn't even make 100000 on my second attempt, almost immediately sank my first two balls lol

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Oh hey did you all know that Cruis'n Exotica is very bad? It's very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mode 7 posted:

Oh hey did you all know that Cruis'n Exotica is very bad? It's very bad.

My favourite thing is how the framerate slams into 60 when you go up a hill and then back down to like 10 as you come down it