Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Got back into this after, christ, 15 years now because of Master Duel.

Spyrals own. Got to plat 1 on them relatively easily once I figured out how the deck works. Lots of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

blizzardvizard posted:

So if you say got demoted from Plat to Gold V in the new season, you don't get any rewards from Rookie to Silver. And since your demotion is apparently based on your "final rank", you're better off just conceding to Bronze at the end of the season so you can get the rank up rewards again? Not to mention, since you can't de-rank from Plat 1 anymore, you're effectively encouraged to never reach Plat 1? Konami what :psyduck:

Yup.
I have a feeling theyre going to have to retool the ranking system.
They may have made it this way to attract new players, because skipping ranks and getting gems as you advance, as compared to MTGA where you get them at the end, helps get the hamster wheel hooks in.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Oh what the hell, a new season already? I thought I had more time than that. I was Plat Tier 3 you bastards. :argh:

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Oh what the hell, a new season already? I thought I had more time than that. I was Plat Tier 3 you bastards. :argh:

It's honestly better that you didn't rank up.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Seems like theyre going to fix it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I created a burner account and built myself a Cyber Dragon deck. It feels like a happy medium for me - plenty of combos, and can fairly easily end on an omni-negate, even some mild OTK potential, without having to learn dozens of ten step combos. I still have a lot to learn, especially when Predaplant Verte Anaconda comes into play, but I'm managing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Are there any good meta or rogue decks that play kind of like dinos? Just stompy "gently caress your negates, gently caress your boards, gently caress your monsters"?

Or, just, alternative related question, good go-second decks. I love my Invoked Shadolls, but if I don't open with Maxx C, going second feels like a guaranteed loss without a god hand.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

girl dick energy posted:

Are there any good meta or rogue decks that play kind of like dinos? Just stompy "gently caress your negates, gently caress your boards, gently caress your monsters"?

Or, just, alternative related question, good go-second decks. I love my Invoked Shadolls, but if I don't open with Maxx C, going second feels like a guaranteed loss without a god hand.

An Earth/Machines deck like the Ancient Gears/Trains deck I posted earlier does pretty well in that regard, if you can get out Chaos Ancient Gear Giant than you've basically won unless you're opponent can out muscle a 4500 ATK brute like it* since it has built in immunity to all card effects

*which I've only seen happen once so far against an opponent using a Utopia deck(some craziness through equipping monsters as spells onto other monsters to boost their attack points), though even that I managed to reverse into a victory as my opponent didn't seem to know just how easy it is for Ancient Gear monsters to come back from the graveyard so I bounced Giant back from the grave and then just smashed my way through his monsters for the win

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah Ancient gear is a good one, though its pretty high rarity, ditto for trains.
A low rarity swing once for game deck is Crusadia, which requires no URs besides out of archetype cards. They have one gameplan: Link ladder up to Equimax and then hit things very hard. Equimax has a targeted negate, and they also have a spell that makes your crusadia unaffected by effects for a turn so theyre not completely fragile. You can also run a mekk-knight hybrid using some of the normal rarity mekk-knights, both as material fodder and to boost equimax, splash in a kaiju or two and youre set.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 2, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The utopia deck seems fun to play but ending on a big monster with no protection is non-ideal

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Seems like theyre going to fix it.

Figured they would nip this in the bud. Well, as long as players get rewards from the lower tiers it's all the same in the end.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mandatory lesbian posted:

The utopia deck seems fun to play but ending on a big monster with no protection is non-ideal

Tornado Bringer and Lightning blade give targeting and destruction protection respectively, while each boosting by 1200 ATK. A lot decks cant out that (though most of the meta can, and Dark Ruler No More and Forbidden Droplet exist.), And a Pegasus Twin Saber attached to a Ultimate Leo Utopia is 2 negates on monsters on the field.

Itts definitely a go-second deck, but its not completely helpless at going first.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 2, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Tornado Bringer and Lightning blade give targeting and destruction protection respectively, while each boosting by 1200 ATK. A lot decks cant out that (though most of the meta can, and Dark Ruler No More and Forbidden Droplet exist.), And a Pegasus Twin Saber attached to a Ultimate Leo Utopia is 2 negates on monsters on the field.

Itts definitely a go-second deck, but its not completely helpless at going first.

Ah, the person i played must have got unlucky or not known bc they just ended on a 5600 beatstick and passed. They had double or nothing in hand so it clear they were going for that combo next turn (they did not get a next turn)

But they did a lot of wheel spinning and as a wheel spinner myself i appreciated the nonsense

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

girl dick energy posted:

A good go second deck that plays nothing like dinos is Skystrikers where you don't intend to win turn 2, and often not turn 4 either. You just break people's negate filled boards, then end up with a bunch of set quick play spells that mess up their turn 3 and by then most decks have run out of steam and you can go ahead and win however you want.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I conceded reading that halfway through

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd say "just play a different deck, you tool", but getting enough gems to play a second deck is a nontrivial task. (Hell, getting enough gems to play one good deck early is dicey if you don't know what you're aiming for from the start.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I play super quants and have had people concede just at seeing me play the white ranger, its funny but also yeah, let me play it out homie

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Message to thread: if you ever are paired against livingtrope, dont concede, im actually really loving bad at the deck and consistently miss the optimal line

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still stand by my "diminishing rewards for successive surrenders" instead of "no rewards at all for surrenders", because I don't wanna sit through a five minute combo that I already know I die to just because my opponent doesn't know my last card in hand is a useless spell and not Gorz or Evenly Match or Maxx C or whatever.

Edit: I've found a bit of a compromise when I know I'm sunk by normal summoning something stupid, blowing up my own cards, crashing into the opponent with obviously suicidal useless plays, etc. Sometimes I can go full seppuku and defeat myself by crashing Veiler into Eldlich or whatever, but even when I can't, it usually gets the point across of "you win, please kill me."

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 3, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I think I have a solution to this problem, OP

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

Edit: I've found a bit of a compromise when I know I'm sunk by normal summoning something stupid, blowing up my own cards, crashing into the opponent with obviously suicidal useless plays, etc. Sometimes I can go full seppuku and defeat myself by crashing Veiler into Eldlich or whatever, but even when I can't, it usually gets the point across of "you win, please kill me."

I had someone take themselves out on my Kagari last night that way, totally valid imho

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So what competitive decks are possible to build for cheap? Prank-Kids is solid enough and the cards are not that expensive. What else is out there?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

My suggestion is simple, massively reduce the time given for each player's turns, currently it's almost 8 minutes or so, should be reduced down to like 2 minutes max

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I would be okay with eight minutes if the timer didn't pause any time they were prompted to make a decision. Right now it only counts down when they're choosing to play a card, and in my experience people barely spend any time doing that, but spend a lot of time actually going through the process of playing a card.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So what competitive decks are possible to build for cheap? Prank-Kids is solid enough and the cards are not that expensive. What else is out there?
To be a little glib: Most of them.

To be less glib, Eldlich is getting a big push now with the featured pack thing, so that's always an option. I made Invoked Shaddolls in a single day without any difficulty, and could easily use the Invoked engine in other decks, too. Invoked Dogmatika Shaddolls are a legit meta deck right now, too, and even pure Shaddolls is a respectable rogue deck. But if you don't like playing "you don't get to play your cards/mother may I" control, they're probably not for you.

Cleretic posted:

I would be okay with eight minutes if the timer didn't pause any time they were prompted to make a decision. Right now it only counts down when they're choosing to play a card, and in my experience people barely spend any time doing that, but spend a lot of time actually going through the process of playing a card.
Turns would feel less egregious if the animations for every single card didn't take about twice as long as they need to. They should just add an option for quicker animations, and if both players have it enabled, 2x everything. Then it's opt-in, and new players have time to process everything that's happening.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 3, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I play super quants and have had people concede just at seeing me play the white ranger, its funny but also yeah, let me play it out homie

Honestly as a Dragonmaid player the only thing I feel basically "this is unwinnable under any circumstances if" is Drytron once they land the Perfection/Ultimateness. Other situations I don't feel hopeless in like when Drytron lands their omninegate jackass.

On the flip side I've had people literally concede at the face of Parlor searching Changeover. I know Sheou's a house but drat.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

My suggestion is simple, massively reduce the time given for each player's turns, currently it's almost 8 minutes or so, should be reduced down to like 2 minutes max

The timer for duel links is quite short and I can't play some control decks because even when I'm going as quick as I can, I can still lose to time out because of all the recycling and flipping and dumb janky poo poo I'm doing that takes time. It would be much worse in Master Duel.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

The timer for duel links is quite short and I can't play some control decks because even when I'm going as quick as I can, I can still lose to time out because of all the recycling and flipping and dumb janky poo poo I'm doing that takes time. It would be much worse in Master Duel.

Rather than running out of time causing you to lose, maybe just change it so running out of time immediately ends your turn, I mean I'll fully admit this idea is so it would cripple a lot of the modern meta decks that are degenerate nonsense that is not remotely fun to play against

If they do eventually introduce alternative formats to Master Duel, one that would be a fun one is a "simple" format where the card pool is heavily curated to focus on relatively simple playstyles

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

drrockso20 posted:

Rather than running out of time causing you to lose, maybe just change it so running out of time immediately ends your turn, I mean I'll fully admit this idea is so it would cripple a lot of the modern meta decks that are degenerate nonsense that is not remotely fun to play against

If they do eventually introduce alternative formats to Master Duel, one that would be a fun one is a "simple" format where the card pool is heavily curated to focus on relatively simple playstyles

There's a hidden afk timer of 30 seconds, furthermore, the full 8 minutes is only if you're actually doing stuff anyway as far as I can tell, you don't actually get an 8 minute timer unless you're doing actual card plays even if you're not dinging the 30 second afk surrender.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly as a Dragonmaid player the only thing I feel basically "this is unwinnable under any circumstances if" is Drytron once they land the Perfection/Ultimateness. Other situations I don't feel hopeless in like when Drytron lands their omninegate jackass.

On the flip side I've had people literally concede at the face of Parlor searching Changeover. I know Sheou's a house but drat.

Quants can get aa-zeus on the field incredibly quickly so i kinda get it but also that cards not like, invincible if you have any kind of interaction

Altho you can get 4 material under zeus surprisingly often so that does feel busted as hell

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/news/february-01-2022/master-duel-datamines

e: lol i guess eldlich can work for all of these except vintage

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Does eldlich not play an extra deck? Unfamiliar with the deck as the only zombies i love are skull servants

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Does eldlich not play an extra deck? Unfamiliar with the deck as the only zombies i love are skull servants

Depends how you do it I guess, I've only used it on Eldlich for Pot of Extravagance

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Eldlich has a fusion monster but it's kind of unnecessary for the deck's gameplan. I've seen it played here and there but it's considered to be a meme more than anything

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are some extra deck cards that can matter in Eldlich (eg Gustav Max) but you could replace them with 15 random fusion monsters with barely any reduction in the deck's power.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Quants can get aa-zeus on the field incredibly quickly so i kinda get it but also that cards not like, invincible if you have any kind of interaction

Altho you can get 4 material under zeus surprisingly often so that does feel busted as hell

Oh sure, but I've overcome a Zeus before. It's hard, but not the same sort of "guess I'll die :shrug:" feeling as facing down a Perfection/Ultimateness.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are some extra deck cards that can matter in Eldlich (eg Gustav Max) but you could replace them with 15 random fusion monsters with barely any reduction in the deck's power.

Yeah, Eldlich is one of those decks that doesn't really need an extra deck, but if you want then it's good enough at getting specific levels on the board that you can get some use out of good Xyz monsters.

It's like how Timelords mostly don't give a poo poo about the extra deck, but since they have some level 10s they can basically summon for free, you might as well run Super Dora.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh sure, but I've overcome a Zeus before. It's hard, but not the same sort of "guess I'll die :shrug:" feeling as facing down a Perfection/Ultimateness.

Yeah exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbf a lot of the meta cards like called by grave and forbidden droplet are ur so interaction is expensive to make, which i dont like