Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ruben Bolling fixed Maus to make it more palatable for schools in Tennessee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

can plants host viruses? what if we get rid of all animal life on earth?

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

PostNouveau posted:

Mildly contracting covid 4 times a year for the rest of our short lives

https://twitter.com/headi420/status/1488564049315082246

Honestly, I feel sorry for people like this.

They had all the inquisitiveness of childhood systematically beaten out of them by K-12 and external society both together.

By the time they're adults, the very act of digging through research to create a picture of the threat, in other words a layman-level threat estimate, is simply inconceivable.

Understanding what this crap does, and what it doesn't do, and how, isn't going to make you any safer all by itself. But it does improve familiarity with the threat. All by itself.

And I can tell you, from abundant personal experience, that familiarity is the best antidote to the sort of uncomprehending shock meowmers expresses in her tweet.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

Is there any breakdown on how many of them are incidental, like, did the "Let COVID positive dads attend births" move immediately turn neonatal wards into plague pits (safely)?

no. so you can't prove they aren't incidental, which is more likely, since babies rarely get hospitalized by other viral infections that, while I have no evidence linking these to covid, just kinda feels to me should behave similarly.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

The third year of the pandemic and people still haven't learned that cases and deaths are inversely related because people don't die instantly.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

Lacrosse posted:

Look there's only two outcomes, mild and death. And if you remember the old adage "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" then you'll understand it's actually good for you to catch it and not die.

We ought to have a sarcasm smilie because I'm pretty sure you didn't intend that statement to be taken at face value.

But Friedrich Nietzsche must have written that down on one of his off days. Nietzsche reminds me of Lovecraft. Sometimes he hit the ball right out of the park. Other times, he just should not have bothered.

And that "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" thing was written on a really really bad day. All it amounts to is bombast.

What doesn't kill you can crush you like an overloaded structural support, if the strain keeps up for too long. I know that for certain because I watched the process go more or less to completion, at much closer hand than I'd have wanted.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The 3m 6300 I ordered came in and it’s so much more comfortable then the Honeywell 7700 I had. Fits my face much better for a good seal, straps are stiffer, and much easier to hear me. I wish I’d swapped months ago.

Now I just need my bling to arrive for it!

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

mdemone posted:

they have a billion and a half people

if they had outbreaks on the scale of those in the West, it would be literally impossible to keep that information from getting out, again because there are more than a billion loving people there with social media access

That's a damned good point.

I'll keep it in mind the next time the perennial "can we trust China" debate breaks out.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

Kylaer posted:

Here, though, I feel like I need to remind people that what's happening today is a lot better than what could be happening, and a lot better than what is likely to begin happening once covid gets lucky on another mutation roll. There is a pretty good chance that today is "the good days," compared to what's ahead. Omicron is nowhere near as bad as we first panicked about it being, but another variant in the future could go the distance. It's all a matter of perspective, and I want to help keep things in perspective.

I can't speak for everybody, but that's how I read it.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

McNugget Buddy posted:

"Ocugen won't shut the gently caress up so we have to push it through now to avoid antitrust lawsuits"

At this point, w.r.t vaxxing the under 5s, I'm like "I don't care whether you use ordinary dynamite or PETN; I just want that loving stump gone". Whatever gets the job done.

The 1-12 years group is a permanent stealth vector of its very own, for every respiratory bug under the sun. Because
  • they congregate whenever possible,
  • they're mostly too young to understand the "why" of public health, and
  • I certainly hope they're too young to comprehend their own mortality.

That last, BTW, is a thing every "adult" ought to understand, but learning it too young is NOT a good thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kater posted:

Good news! That'll happen sooner than you think!

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

I'm changing careers from IT to cryptid

im doing my best cryptid impression right now by never being at the office

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

kater posted:

yep

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_breaking_virus

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CPU Abuser posted:

We ought to have a sarcasm smilie because I'm pretty sure you didn't intend that statement to be taken at face value.

A general rule of thumb in this subforum is that if your immediate reaction is "Surely they can't be serious," 95% of the time they're being sarcastic. ;) It's one of the few places on the internet where Poe's Law mostly doesn't apply.

Note that this rule does not apply to certain other subforums on this site .....

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

Potato Salad posted:

I don't know how people picture an iron fence around a billion interconnected people as though you somehow really could make it totally and completely non-porous

Even if we want to accept the pretext of "we must survive the coming conflict of great powers" line, nothing is gained by deliberately misunderstanding the adversary.

Unless misunderstanding them, in a public news venue, gets you paid.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CPU Abuser posted:

Honestly, I feel sorry for people like this.

They had all the inquisitiveness of childhood systematically beaten out of them by K-12 and external society both together.

By the time they're adults, the very act of digging through research to create a picture of the threat, in other words a layman-level threat estimate, is simply inconceivable.

Understanding what this crap does, and what it doesn't do, and how, isn't going to make you any safer all by itself. But it does improve familiarity with the threat. All by itself.

And I can tell you, from abundant personal experience, that familiarity is the best antidote to the sort of uncomprehending shock meowmers expresses in her tweet.

idk just sounds like an exasperated mom venting.

itstime4lunch
Nov 3, 2005

clockin' around
the clock

Why Am I So Tired posted:

"The most important step is to have a quick off-ramp for masking. While many people do not see masking as a major inconvenience, plenty see it as a symbol of the pandemic."

Started disassociating into a sea of red here.

Um, well there is an individual off-ramp for masking, but he probably isn’t gonna like it…

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Thank God this is the last wave and covid is over forever

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

"The most important step is to have a quick off-ramp for masking. While many people do not see masking as a major inconvenience, plenty see it as a symbol of the pandemic."

Started disassociating into a sea of red here.

quote:

The vaccinated, who have done everything right, should not have any restrictions placed on them; it’s not fair to them and it disincentivizes vaccination.

Why are these people so obsessed with "WE WERE TOLD" and "WE DID EVERYTHING RIGHT"? Why can't they adjust to a constantly changing situation? Is it just a total lack of critical thinking?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

alg posted:

Why are these people so obsessed with "WE WERE TOLD" and "WE DID EVERYTHING RIGHT"? Why can't they adjust to a constantly changing situation? Is it just a total lack of critical thinking?

Yes

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

alg posted:

I've done everything right!
  • Go to the basement or an inside room without windows on the lowest floor (bathroom, closet, center hallway).
  • If possible, avoid sheltering in a room with windows.
  • For added protection get under something sturdy (a heavy table or workbench). Cover your body with a blanket, sleeping bag or mattress. Protect your head with anything available.
  • Do not stay in a mobile home.
Asking folks who have done everything right to continue sheltering from the tornado just disincentivizes tornado preparedness. I am DONE with this tornado! I'm going back to normal!

*walks outside and gets impaled by a flying 2x4*

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kylaer posted:

Here, though, I feel like I need to remind people that what's happening today is a lot better than what could be happening, and a lot better than what is likely to begin happening once covid gets lucky on another mutation roll. There is a pretty good chance that today is "the good days," compared to what's ahead. Omicron is nowhere near as bad as we first panicked about it being, but another variant in the future could go the distance. It's all a matter of perspective, and I want to help keep things in perspective.

Not a big fan of this kind of perspective as it means you’ve been conditioned to normalize mass death and “ nowhere near as bad as we first panicked about it being” is still very, very bad, specifically for those in healthcare. But, what piece was nowhere as bad? Deaths? Personally, the fact that so many more people this time around got infected is what’s most worrying since that translates to more people being disabled in the long-term.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

alg posted:

someone put that woven mask alyssa milano was wearing on akimov

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

and a paw patrol mask on toptunov

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zodium posted:

no. so you can't prove they aren't incidental, which is more likely, since babies rarely get hospitalized by other viral infections that, while I have no evidence linking these to covid, just kinda feels to me should behave similarly.

*Supreme Courtishly* Begging the question, eh? :toughguy:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ebola Roulette posted:

The third year of the pandemic and people still haven't learned that cases and deaths are inversely related because people don't die instantly.

Going to lol if the US death rate this month reaches 5k a day.

There's bound to be a spike like from that one day that had 1.4 million cases.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

Going to lol when the US death rate this month reaches 5k a day.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

As I posted this past weekend, critical thinking and adaptability are not desirable mental skills in our society anymore. Capital realized it only needs unquestioning cogs for the vast majority of its labor requirements, so getting rid of those skills from the labor pool makes the workers it does need more compliant and less likely to do something against Capital, like form a union or understand alternative economic systems.

A very simple yet very radical thing you can do in 2022 is to hone your critical thinking skills.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
fun little exercise: try writing your own open biden speech. Bonus points for complete disconnection from reality

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CPU Abuser posted:

Unless misunderstanding them, in a public news venue, gets you paid.

Well poo poo, we're loving hosed.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Gio posted:

someone put that woven mask alyssa milano was wearing on akimov

Been a few years since I watched Chernobyl, is this an actual line from the miniseries?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

alg posted:

it's harder to be flexible to a changing situation with kids op

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

Going to lol if the US death rate this month reaches 5k a day.

1.4 million cases with a CFR of 1.7% comes out to about 23,800 deaths

if we instead assume a CFR of 0.36%, as in that report from Massachusetts, that comes out to 5,040 deaths

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

Lacrosse posted:

Can't wait for men to find out how much it sucks to be sick once a month every month forever

That's how I lived for a dozen years in Arizona, and for 3 more years in Upstate New York and Mississippi.

I don't recommend it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mycomancy posted:

Been a few years since I watched Chernobyl, is this an actual line from the miniseries?

Yes.

They die, horribly, sobbing softly, saying that line too :smithicide:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DDR4 -> DDR5 -> 12th gen Intel core

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

which is interesting, because the people living with 6 month t cell depletions back to back to back are liable to do the same thing after reinfection #12 or whatever

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kater posted:

can plants host viruses?

Yes.

Flowering plants are even susceptible to a unique class of pathogens that affects no other organisms, so far as we know: viroids

These shits are rings of pure RNA. No envelope, no spike. The horseshoe theory is real, and this is the end opposite prions.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

alg posted:

It's not just a lack of critical thinking, though that is a major component; we are watching, in real time, as the machinery of cybernetic capitalism overrides the survival instinct in a large portion of the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe