Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Name him 手拉手

lmao

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Sort of? If you take a Chinese class the teacher might give you a name that actually means something but like any official stuff I had where they translated my name into Chinese they just used the closest phonetic equivalents without much regard for whether I'd picked out a super special name.

Yeah, there are a few characters that are pretty much only used to transliterate names so it's relatively easy to spot one of those.

FWIW my mum just picked a couple of characters that she thought sound nice together and have a classic boy name meaning. No need to consult anyone else.

I don't have an English name either, the only time I have ever used one was one for work whenever I had to talk to Australians over the phone and didn't want to explain how to spell my name. My last name has no vowels so it is especially funny to watch people unfamiliar with it try to say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
made a post I didn't really like, so it's gone now

The Wicked ZOGA has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Feb 2, 2022

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

made a post I didn't really like, so it's gone now

I saw that original post, and I agree that everyone over 60 should be rendered down into fine industrial greases and lubricants.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AlbieQuirky posted:

That’s a nonsense take even from Sully. I mean, yeah, there is Black antisemitism out there, but it’s a drop in the ocean of white antisemitism.

It makes perfect sense if you come from the position that actual racism doesn’t exist and is not a problem, but anti-colonialist sentiment is A Big Problem. Thus the only actually oppression is when people oppose white supremacy, but that’s a really hard sell outside the fashosphere, so instead you wait for them to even mildly criticize Israel because then you can call them anti-Semites, which is what the nazis were!

The fact that you are politically aligned with the actual nazis and share NWO conspiracies and call for the lynching of (((George Soros))) is immaterial, you have called the other side nazis and therefore you are now equals at worst. Something something that one Sartre quote.

E; whoops there were more pages

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibblebibble posted:

I don't have an English name either, the only time I have ever used one was one for work whenever I had to talk to Australians over the phone and didn't want to explain how to spell my name.

Yep, that checks out

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's probably a thing if little Silas takes a Chinese language class. They do it in the highschool language (french/spanish) classes where i am, picking a new "native" name to go by in class. I guess it helps the kids get into the flow of the right pronunciation and stuff instead of having to code-switch between speaking the language they're trying to learn and then going back to english to say their name with a totally different set of sounds.

I had a French teacher who gave a French spin to students' names, so Jan/John became Jean, Willem/William became Guillame and Matthijs/Matthew became Matthieu. She had trouble adapting one of the names, so she handed that male student a book with French names. I'm sad that I don't remember what he picked, because it sounded ridiculous to our teenage ears and the teacher used it with such a serious tone every single time. It lead to a lot of laughs in the first month of that class.

But I think letting everyone pick their name is a better approach these days tho, since there's such a wide variance in first names these days. In my youth there were still a lot of biblical names.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:18 on Feb 2, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Most Chinese people I know who adopted western names did so because they were tired of people mispronouncing their actual name.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BirdOfPlay posted:

Only the modern pentathlon uses "unknown" horses. In all other events, the horse and rider have trained for a while before competing.

The unknown horse thing has always been a sticking point in the pentathlon. I remember reading that several people (coaches & athletes) complained a whole bunch about the "wild" horses that China supplied for Beijing in 2008. I think several riders got thrown during the men's event?And Tokyo was much worse, the favorite for the women's event ended up with a horse that wouldn't do anything. So there's a bunch of pictures of her just openly weeping cause the horse cost her everything. Also, her coach was ejected for punching the horse in the face.
The best part is the same horse had done the exact same thing to another rider earlier in the day, so it was an absolutely predictable outcome.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I used to work with and Indian-born desi guy who went by David. I assumed that was a western name he picked arbitrarily but no, his family are evangelical Christians and that's his given name.

Mierenneuker posted:

I had a French teacher who gave a French spin to students' names, so Jan/John became Jean, Willem/William became Guillame and Matthijs/Matthew became Matthieu. She had trouble adapting one of the names, so she handed that male student a book with French names. I'm sad that I don't remember what he picked, because it sounded ridiculous to our teenage ears and the teacher used it with such a serious tone every single time. It lead to a lot of laughs in the first month of that class.

But I think letting everyone pick their name is a better approach these days tho, since there's such a wide variance in first names these days. In my youth there were still a lot of biblical names.

My 7th grade French teacher had us pick a French name, and he started by telling you what the French version of your name would be if there was one that he knew. A couple people picked unrelated names for fun, one kid picked Andre presumably because of the giant.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe because of the seal

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Most Chinese people I know who adopted western names did so because they were tired of people mispronouncing their actual name.

Westerners can be pretty lazy when it comes to foreign sounding names but lets not pretend Chinese doesn't have lots of sounds and structure that is pretty hard to pronounce for most westerners. Similar to how most Asian people I met when I travelled could not pronounce my western name. If I was moving out there I'd probably pick a new local name.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Westerners can be pretty lazy when it comes to foreign sounding names but lets not pretend Chinese doesn't have lots of sounds and structure that is pretty hard to pronounce for most westerners. Similar to how most Asian people I met when I travelled could not pronounce my western name. If I was moving out there I'd probably pick a new local name.

I'm European and I've never had any foreigner pronounce my name correctly.

e: Well maybe some Swedes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There was a exchange student at my school whose surname was Kun, which seems really simple but for two years I only ever heard the conversation

"Kun?"
"Kun."
"...Kun?"
"It's Kun."
"Yeah, I said- ok, Kun."
"Close! More like, Kun."
"K- Kyun?"
"It's okay! It's hard! You don't have to say it."
"But I want to!"
":) (K but you can't)"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm European and I've never had any foreigner pronounce my name correctly.

e: Well maybe some Swedes.

My friend Craig has a small fit every time anyone uses the American 'Creg' pronunciation. It can be handy as he's partially deaf so it can be hard to get his attention sometimes. Call him 'Creg' and you will have his attention.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

My friend Craig has a small fit every time anyone uses the American 'Creg' pronunciation. It can be handy as he's partially deaf so it can be hard to get his attention sometimes. Call him 'Creg' and you will have his attention.

He should come here so I can call him Sraik.

e: Seriouspost: no-one should come here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mega Comrade posted:

My friend Craig has a small fit every time anyone uses the American 'Creg' pronunciation.

It's not my name, but I'm with him on this.

Used to deal with an Indian call center about 15 years ago due to my job, I always presumed Monica was a fan of Friends and Twinkle was a fan of stars.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
One of my dad's former business partners back in the 80s was a guy named José.

He was a Taiwanese dude who was raised in an orphanage by nuns, who would let the kids choose their own names from a big book of names once they were old enough to read. Only José wanted to get a thoroughly American name like "Joe", but his reading skills weren't as strong as his enthusiasm, hence him pointing at the wrong name and subsequently enduring a life of people being very surprised whenever they met him face to face for the first time after initially communicating by phone.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

steinrokkan posted:

Sure this sucks, but has there ever been more disgustingly bougie, narcissistic chain of reasoning than "somebody did X so I made a loving zine about it and posted to the world about it, also I'm selling the zine"

Is probably made up to drum up sOcIaL mEdIa exposure anyway, all the hallmarks are there, just all around cancer from all angles.

Reminds me of that glitter bomb package hoax from a few years back.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If someone steals my parcel I'm going to poo poo in their mouth.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If someone steals my parcel I'm going to poo poo in their mouth.

Where do you live?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why get a PO box when you can get a POO box

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chair In A Basket posted:

Where do you live?

At home.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Splicer posted:

The best part is the same horse had done the exact same thing to another rider earlier in the day, so it was an absolutely predictable outcome.

Why would the organizers not just give the riders a new horse, if their current horse literally refuses to do anything??? That feels like penalizing a diver because the board fell off the mount, preventing them from diving.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Why would the organizers not just give the riders a new horse, if their current horse literally refuses to do anything??? That feels like penalizing a diver because the board fell off the mount, preventing them from diving.

Maybe they wanted to penalize the rider(s).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Next you gotta pole vault with a pool noodle

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Schubalts posted:

Nobody likes modern pentathletes, even pentathlon officials want to see them suffer

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Splicer posted:

I feel like shooting the horse is appropriate.

Edit: Regardless of circumstances

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's probably a thing if little Silas takes a Chinese language class. They do it in the highschool language (french/spanish) classes where i am, picking a new "native" name to go by in class. I guess it helps the kids get into the flow of the right pronunciation and stuff instead of having to code-switch between speaking the language they're trying to learn and then going back to english to say their name with a totally different set of sounds.

But if he actually went on a trip to China I don't think people would be insisting he choose a new name to give at the front desk of the hotel.

Then again there are some Chinese foreign exchange students at my college who absolutely do that the other way round -- going by an "English name" that doesn't really have any relation to their Chinese given name.

I found a copy of this in a charity shop years ago, which is pretty amusing: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/495159.Write_Your_Name_in_Kanji

Phonetic transcriptions of various English first names, with a choice of direct-translations-of-meanings, eulogistic meanings and utterly bonkers attention-getting meanings. I got to tell my boss he should call himself small-boy-vomiting-apricots if we ever had any Japanese clients.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Yeah, we did the "get assigned a foreign language name" in both my middle and upper school Spanish classes.

BirdOfPlay posted:

Also, her coach was ejected for punching the horse in the face.
:lol:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mega Comrade posted:

Westerners can be pretty lazy when it comes to foreign sounding names but lets not pretend Chinese doesn't have lots of sounds and structure that is pretty hard to pronounce for most westerners.

Yeah but Chinese in particular is a tonal language, so it's not just the sound you say but how you say it. Using the wrong tone can radically alter the meaning. Imagine your name was Asswipe (pronounced oz-WEE-pay, natch) but everyone pronounced it like "rear end wipe". Heck, my wife, who is from Europe, balked at naming our daughter "Klara" because most Americans would pronounce it like "Claire-uh"

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BirdOfPlay posted:

Also, her coach was ejected for punching the horse in the face.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dam

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zero_Grade posted:

Yeah, we did the "get assigned a foreign language name" in both my middle and upper school Spanish classes.
They started this in middle school (6th grade, age 11-12) and somehow "Ian" turned into "Salvador" rather than "Juan." I was also constantly paired with my best friend for 2-person projects and with other friends for bigger ones, and all of them were either live skits or video projects. I once ran and jumped around a classroom dressed as Bumblebee Man from The Simpsons while a friend in a labcoat chased me around with a big antique-looking pesticide sprayer, and we would do outtake rolls or just spoof a popular movie after the main feature when it was a video project. My mom went off on us once over the Blair Witch spoof because we "shouldn't be making evil and Satanic things," referring to the stickman figures.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I got to be "Serge" in fourth grade French but my middle and high school the teachers just put accents on our actual names.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Aggro-Craig

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/WholeMarsBlog/status/1488590960053276672

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

GWBBQ posted:

They started this in middle school (6th grade, age 11-12) and somehow "Ian" turned into "Salvador" rather than "Juan." I was also constantly paired with my best friend for 2-person projects and with other friends for bigger ones, and all of them were either live skits or video projects. I once ran and jumped around a classroom dressed as Bumblebee Man from The Simpsons while a friend in a labcoat chased me around with a big antique-looking pesticide sprayer, and we would do outtake rolls or just spoof a popular movie after the main feature when it was a video project. My mom went off on us once over the Blair Witch spoof because we "shouldn't be making evil and Satanic things," referring to the stickman figures.
I'm unsure what lesson about Spanish those skits were intended to teach, but they do sound pretty entertaining and I wish I got to do stuff like that. Also Salvador is a sweet name.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

loving morons

also what does stop mean

@elonmusk

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
https://twitter.com/WholeMarsBlog/status/1488634907274321924

God if this guy were being ironic he'd be a comedy genius