Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
They have to chow down on a bunch of other tadpoles first before they turn into those big chunguses. It's not clear what they survive on while in larval form, other than the fact that adult illithids need to "tend" to the pools and the cannibalism only happens if they don't. I think of their pools as big puddles of culture medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I picture mindflayers mama birding some brain slurry into the pool every once in a while.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
https://anchor.fm/torensguide/episodes/Dungeons-and-Dragons-Pronunciation-Episode-10-e1dfci7

Been a fan of Toren since Caustic Soda and he goes through a ton of pronounciation of dungeons and dragon terms.

Is he right or wrong?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

I picture mindflayers mama birding some brain slurry into the pool every once in a while.

That's really not a mental picture I expected to have today...but yes that seems about right :D

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

New Survey this time on the PHB feats.

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6698448/feats

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Don't forget to vote "Very Satisfied" for the Lucky feat! ;)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan: "If the goal was to make looting this corpse feel creepy, they succeeded."

So much detailed description compared to the other Yawning Portal adventures. The language feels like if I was more familiar with authors I could recognize exactly who wrote it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I love to throw a photo of some goblin children in random mob #3s pocket when the party rifles through for gold coins. Or a letter about trying to make enough money to buy a potion to cure grandma's illness tucked into the bandits boot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"His hair is threaded through decorative stone tubes that you could get 50gp for if you pulled them off.." "Oh come on!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Also, the DM decided "this curse is more interesting if it's part of your decision" for an item we found early in the Shrine and I agree. That berserker axe would be an upgrade for our Cleric, the spells it can cast are REALLY USEFUL, he's got high armor and a strong Will save, but the failure state if he does get damaged and fails a save is a big one.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Bruceski posted:

"His hair is threaded through decorative stone tubes that you could get 50gp for if you pulled them off.." "Oh come on!"

Oh, wow, you want him to sell the sacred tubes passed down generation to generation, each representing the soul of one of his ancestors?

Rude.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Our Out of the Abyss group is nearing 10th level in a very slow moving but fun campaign and some of the characters are not as optimised as others. The bard-barian has just accepted a Duke of Hell as his patron and I am ruling they immediately gain 2 levels of warlock and lose 2 levels of either bard or barbarian, this was clearly explained to the player as the offer from the patron and they accepted.

So now I'm considering houseruling the same option to the other players when they gain a level, they can choose to lose a level in a class and gain 2 levels in another. So long as the total levels are the right sum it should work and offer some flexibility in character development. I am limiting the houserule in that a player may only lose one level at a time and they cannot lose level 1 of any class (so no changing your base saving throws).

As another example this group includes an Armor Artificer 9 and a Beastmaster Ranger 8 / Rogue 1. The damage output and effectiveness gap between the two is beginning to widen and I'm thinking the Ranger / Rogue may want to accelerate to Ranger 7 / Rogue 3 to up their sneak attack sooner. There is a Wizard 7 / Rogue 2 who may want to jump to Wizard 9 / Rogue 1 for 5th level spells while losing Cunning Action.

Am I doing the wrong kind of thinking here? It seems this should offer a form of retraining and make the levelling options a bit more interesting in a long running campaign (seriously way too long, but everyone is still hooked so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ).

I can't think of a good reason not to offer this houserule, what am I missing?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

clusterfuck posted:

Our Out of the Abyss group is nearing 10th level in a very slow moving but fun campaign and some of the characters are not as optimised as others. The bard-barian has just accepted a Duke of Hell as his patron and I am ruling they immediately gain 2 levels of warlock and lose 2 levels of either bard or barbarian, this was clearly explained to the player as the offer from the patron and they accepted.

So now I'm considering houseruling the same option to the other players when they gain a level, they can choose to lose a level in a class and gain 2 levels in another. So long as the total levels are the right sum it should work and offer some flexibility in character development. I am limiting the houserule in that a player may only lose one level at a time and they cannot lose level 1 of any class (so no changing your base saving throws).

As another example this group includes an Armor Artificer 9 and a Beastmaster Ranger 8 / Rogue 1. The damage output and effectiveness gap between the two is beginning to widen and I'm thinking the Ranger / Rogue may want to accelerate to Ranger 7 / Rogue 3 to up their sneak attack sooner. There is a Wizard 7 / Rogue 2 who may want to jump to Wizard 9 / Rogue 1 for 5th level spells while losing Cunning Action.

Am I doing the wrong kind of thinking here? It seems this should offer a form of retraining and make the levelling options a bit more interesting in a long running campaign (seriously way too long, but everyone is still hooked so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ).

I can't think of a good reason not to offer this houserule, what am I missing?
It's basically just retconning a level up decision so imho it should be perfectly fine.
Worst case someone uses it to "skip" a weaker class development level but who cares 🤷

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

shades of eternity posted:

https://anchor.fm/torensguide/episodes/Dungeons-and-Dragons-Pronunciation-Episode-10-e1dfci7

Been a fan of Toren since Caustic Soda and he goes through a ton of pronounciation of dungeons and dragon terms.

Is he right or wrong?

I can only say for sure with drow because I have the old 2nd edition Menzoberranzan box set and it came with a pronunciation guide (rhymes with "cow").

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bruceski posted:

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan: "If the goal was to make looting this corpse feel creepy, they succeeded."

So much detailed description compared to the other Yawning Portal adventures. The language feels like if I was more familiar with authors I could recognize exactly who wrote it.

Hsot is a fantastic module, imo one of the best of the 1st ed ones.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

re: Quantum Ogre talk

In the game I'm running, the party was always going to run into the red dragon N'klaw Rephotserik, and they definitely were set on a path to find him again after they took active steps to free him.

And even though I did try to make it a bit gray, what I didn't expect was that they'd tag along whole hog with his quest to find more red dragons for vengeance on his captors. But now that he's laired up and doesn't need them much...

One hint about the voice I use for him: Alucard

It's not so much "Quantum Ogre" as it is "Obscured Railroad" because it can absolutely still go off the rails

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 1, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FFT posted:

re: Quantum Ogre talk

In the game I'm running, the party was always going to run into the red dragon N'klaw Rephotserik, and they definitely were set on a path to find him again after they took active steps to free him.

And even though I did try to make it a bit gray, what I didn't expect was that they'd tag along whole hog with his quest to find more red dragons for vengeance on his captors. But now that he's laired up and doesn't need them much...

One hint about the voice I use for him: Alucard

It's not so much "Quantum Ogre" as it is "Obscured Railroad" because it can absolutely still go off the rails

I prefer to think of it as a bus network rather than a railroad. Trains only go in one direction, but if you get on the bus network you can go anywhere in the city. Not litteraly anywhere of course, the bus only goes to certain specific stops, but you can choose the direction you ride.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

the red dragon N'klaw Rephotserik

You're talking to my guy all wrong. It's the wrong tone. Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a wand of fireballs.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Got Monsters of the Multiverse. If anyone has any questions about the races or monsters in the book I can answer questions.

Also I am not sure how I feel about how monsters are organized now. They have decided to do them purely alphabetically. (With a couple exceptions like Dinosaurs) while it is easier to find some stuff now, and the D section won't be stupidly long, I kind of prefer having a Fiend section if only for greater lore about said fiends.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah outsiders should be broken up by the plane they come from, so you can have a bit of description about how they all work togeather at the beginning of the section.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Rutibex posted:

Yeah outsiders should be broken up by the plane they come from, so you can have a bit of description about how they all work togeather at the beginning of the section.

Yeah if they are all broken up, you won't have the big intro on them.

Though at least the higher level monsters are all generally tougher now.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Yusin posted:

Got Monsters of the Multiverse. If anyone has any questions about the races or monsters in the book I can answer questions.

Also I am not sure how I feel about how monsters are organized now. They have decided to do them purely alphabetically. (With a couple exceptions like Dinosaurs) while it is easier to find some stuff now, and the D section won't be stupidly long, I kind of prefer having a Fiend section if only for greater lore about said fiends.

How is the quality control of the printed book? I've seen some reviews say there are typos, duplicate pages printed, and that the quality of photos isn't great. Any truth to that?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Shes Not Impressed posted:

How is the quality control of the printed book? I've seen some reviews say there are typos, duplicate pages printed, and that the quality of photos isn't great. Any truth to that?

I have noticed a few typos, but those are pretty minor. (Mainly in the blurbs have yet to notice a statblock or race writeup typo.) My copy at least has no duplicate pages, and the quality of the art looks good to me in my copy.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm making an 8th-level wizard to join an established group. first time playing 5e, but not D&D.

any advice in general? DM is open to nearly anything, so are there sourcebooks I should buy?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm making an 8th-level wizard to join an established group. first time playing 5e, but not D&D.

any advice in general? DM is open to nearly anything, so are there sourcebooks I should buy?

Any book that has more spells buffs Wizards as more options just makes them better. For some one like you if you think you will play often, the new expansion gift box is not a bad place as you will get Xanathar’s Guide and Tasha’s Cauldron, which are the primary player expansion books. Still you don’t need any expansion books to make a good wizard. The PHB alone has a ton of stuff for Wizards.

A good question is what subclass are you thinking of taking.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

Protip:
Take Magic Initiate twice and you can be a Harry potter wizard in addition to a D&D wizard

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks to whomever gave me this new avatar, I laughed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Woof, my party finally arrived at the forge at the bottom of the duergar fortress that is totally not Sunblight's from Frostmaiden and a duergar despot hits hard. I added a lava roper that was hiding in the magma feeding the forge, and after the party killed all of the quaggoths, every single player was grappled and had to deal with mega punches + getting roasted point-blank by flamethrowers and even the level 10 paladin failed his strength save to avoid getting tossed around.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Yusin posted:

Any book that has more spells buffs Wizards as more options just makes them better. For some one like you if you think you will play often, the new expansion gift box is not a bad place as you will get Xanathar’s Guide and Tasha’s Cauldron, which are the primary player expansion books. Still you don’t need any expansion books to make a good wizard. The PHB alone has a ton of stuff for Wizards.

A good question is what subclass are you thinking of taking.

good to know ... I was thinking of sticking with the PHB, since I don't know what I'm doing yet in 5e.

abjuration looks interesting (for the first time in my life).

Rutibex posted:

Protip:
Take Magic Initiate twice and you can be a Harry potter wizard in addition to a D&D wizard

well, I am a hirsute potter

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
My Eberron game started up after the holidays and subsequent plague. I think I have finally figure out how to run this game; my epiphany was "steampunk Shadowrun". The party is a group of freelance trubleshooters and they'll have to choose what groups/dragonmarked houses/gangs they'll take jobs from and who they'll end up having to double cross. Its working out pretty well!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I was looking at the group patrons page and I want to run a game where the party works for a national inquirer type newspaper

Putting to rest the question if bat boy is real or not

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I was looking at the group patrons page and I want to run a game where the party works for a national inquirer type newspaper

The editor in chief is Rupert Murdroc, giant bird.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Rupert Murlock? Horrible frog man?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

The Slack Lagoon posted:

This journalistic team is comprised of the fittest fighters, the meatiest monks, the swolest sorcerers and the beefiest barbarians.

We call them "The Hench Dispatch"

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 2, 2022

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Protip:

To be a real Harry Potter wizard, you can only take cantrips and level one spells and just upcast everything. Level 20 capstone is that you can learn second level spells and Power Word: Kill.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Rupert Murlock? Horrible frog man?

He writes lengthy editorials that are just MGLBLGBLBLLBLLLBMRGBL

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sebmojo posted:

He writes lengthy editorials that are just MGLBLGBLBLLBLLLBMRGBL

And then people read them and start repeating the chanting, infectiously, and then slowly turn into, well, cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I had the design itch and did some magical item translating leading to 60 Dota 2 themed magic items

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
None of my players are on the SA forums (as far as I know) so I don't feel any compunction about spewing out my ideas for our next campaign once we're done with our current one.

The setting:
Eberron, Khorvaire, Sharn, five years after the end of the Last War.

The PCS:
A (formerly Kalashtar) Hexblood, created by one of the Daughters of Sora Kell.

A Loxodon from Q’barra (we decided that along with the dragonborn and lizardfolk of Q’barra, there is a civilization of Loxodon living in the jungle and mountains).

A Kalashtar from Adar, never having set foot in Khorvaire before the beginning of the game.

And because my players love weird ideas that seem very difficult to put into practice, the players for the hexblood and kalashtar have decided that their characters are sisters. I’ve made the call that becoming a hexblood would sever the connection between her and her quori spirit, so her family (along with the kalashtar PC) would believe her to have been dead for however long she’s been gone. And she won’t recognize her when they meet. I’m still ruminating on whether the hexblood would lose some of her memories and maybe not recognize her sister either, but I don’t know about it yet. I don’t want this to be the focus of the campaign though.

So far, I have some goals from the kalashtar and loxodon PCs. The kalashtar is going to be an artificer who was trained by a member of house Cannith – her mentor had fled Khorvaire during the Last War, but has since returned and disappeared from the kalashtar’s life. That’s one reason she’s ventured to Khorvaire - to find her mentor.

The loxodon PC wants to be on a treasure hunt – a long time ago, his civilization had a legendary artifact (Rod of Lordly Might) which has since been sundered and broken into separate pieces and scattered throughout the world. He will start with a fragment (with a small portion of power) and goes on the adventure to piece together the missing parts of the Rod.

Add into that my idea for why the hexblood was created – the Daughters of Sora Kell realize Droaam is being infiltrated by the Inspired, and wanted to create a loyal subject who would be impossible to become an Inspired agent – hence, a kalashtar hexblood.

So all three are going to meet up in Sharn – the loxodon because his first clue to the next part of the Rod points to it being in Sharn somewhere. The kalashtar because her mentor mentioned that she had family and a workshop in Sharn, so that’s the most logical place to look. The hexblood because whichever hag turned her sends her there to investigate concerning reports of Inspired infiltration into the Daask.

I feel like I have the set up well organized, and now I’m thinking about how to move forward and create a cool story for these folks. I know they’re ALL interested in dragonmarks (but none wanted to play a dragonmarked race, go figure) – so I plan to give them all an aberrant dragonmark at level 4.

My thinking: part of the Draconic Prophecy points to the possibility to reconnecting Dal Quor to the material plane. Inspired agents in both the Daask and in House Cannith are working together – Daask to collect indigent warforged, and Cannith to create a hidden factory under Sharn, and they are using the sentient spirits of the warforged to power a giant magical machine that can implant pieces of the Prophecy onto unmarked individuals. The PC’s can find the factory, make it to the laboratory room, defeat the Inspired agents – but not before the machine makes one final push and implants aberrant dragonmarks on their bodies.

This opens up all sorts of possibilities – members of the Chamber suddenly interested in this, the Lords of Dust wanting to use them, the ongoing efforts of the Inspired, and dragonmarked houses becoming very interested in a possibility that they could have a new house added to their number if another/more of these machines/factories could be made.

I can’t talk about any of these ideas with my players, and I have no one else to talk to them about, so you guys get my vomit typing, you’re welcome. If anyone thinks these ideas are cool, feel free to steal.

Edit: Forgot to mention - part of the Rod of Lordly Might will be being used in the machines construction, so that's how the loxodon continues his quest. I have vague ideas of other eldritch machines that could 'evolve' the aberrant dragonmarks as they get higher in level, making them both more powerful, but also more dangerous to all the power groups in Khorvaire.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Anyone have any opinions on the Star Wars 5th Edition hack that the current season of Dimension 20 is using? I've been looking over the wiki and it looks madcap enough that I might reflavor it and run Rogue Trader in it