Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Red Baron posted:

I’ve never understood why Mr Freeze was a villain. aside from the times I’ve seen him gang up with other more obvious bad guys it’s always to do more research to cure his wife, and that’s all I can think of him doing outside the times he makes bad business deals with aforementioned baddies.

like Jesus batman just beat up all the nerd widowers why don’t ya

he steals scientific and medical equipment to solve his wife's incurable disease, thats it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

batman is a fascist

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Peanut President posted:

he steals scientific and medical equipment to solve his wife's incurable disease, thats it

he just keeps getting cooler

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Peanut President posted:

So he steals the means of scientific and medical production? Pretty cool.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Peanut President posted:

at least once he had to steal a giant diamond because it was important for ??? reasons to his "make my wife not die" machine

he's great

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
im not saying he's evil i'm just saying from batman's weird rear end morality code he's a villain

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orange DeviI posted:

Jesus christ it’s like you’re begging for a swirlie

Absolutely. But I took the class to learn how not to be an rear end in a top hat and didn't care about the actual exam, and since I was into comic books at the time, it seemed easy. And it did make me (and everyone I bothered to tell about it) think about what a lovely role model Batman actually is, which, in a small way, was a way challenge the narrative of considering anyone who falls outside the norm bad and wrong.

I actually think that teaching that sort of critical reading is very important in general, even if any specific academic paper on the topic will sound (and be) ridiculous.

Anyway, meet me at the bathrooms in 15 minutes so you can dunk my head in the toilet.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

BonHair posted:

Absolutely.

thanks. I’ll see you in 15

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
holy poo poo I wish I'd never brought up batman

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I hated all the pop-culture freaks in my gender studies classes, the loudest and most annoying people. I wrote my final paper on the culture of trans women having several distinct generations on the internet. Because I actually studied gender instead of supermanology.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Chamale posted:

This is a movie I'd love to watch. But I'd also like to see a movie about hackers where it's all about spearphishing and bribing disgruntled IT guys, so my ideas are probably not the most marketable.

Mr Robot already exists, but it's a TV series not a movie

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

I hated all the pop-culture freaks in my gender studies classes, the loudest and most annoying people. I wrote my final paper on the culture of trans women having several distinct generations on the internet. Because I actually studied gender instead of supermanology.

Why talk about real people and their real, impactful experiences when you can talk about how the riddler is genderqueer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's what the question mark theme is all about, that's the riddler's choice symbol for expressing their gender

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

getting upset about people doing college papers on pop culture

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

getting upset about people doing college papers on pop culture

Feel free to join in.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

boar guy posted:

batman is a fascist

Yeah but joker's an anarchist so he's just as at fault.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Feel free to join in.

literally shakeing rn

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Yeah but joker's an anarchist so he's just as at fault.

your ideas intrigue me and i would like to subscribe to your newsletter

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The following superheros are liberals:

All of them

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shame Boy posted:

Why talk about real people and their real, impactful experiences when you can talk about how the riddler is genderqueer

That would require I stop watching TV. They figured out a way to parlay their extensive experience in media consumption into a degree.

And that will help immensely in their future of getting on twitter to say "TV show is problematic, cancel", which I'm told is praxis.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

tokin opposition posted:

All of them

Excuse me?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Paladinus posted:

Excuse me?

why would you post this with his enormous dong cropped out

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

we live in a society

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

нижний текст

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

tokin opposition posted:

All of them

they're fascists, Alan Moore was pretty explicit about this

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Who is a non facist action hero?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Femur posted:

shaft

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

quaid from total recall

Ben richards from the running man

Terminator from Terminator 2

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cloks posted:

they're fascists, Alan Moore was pretty explicit about this

Same thing, just different tones of voice.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

why would you post this with his enormous dong cropped out

Don't blame me, blame google.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BonHair posted:

I wrote my final gender studies paper on a Batman comic (Killing Joke). Pretty dumb, but the point is that Batman, aside from being a billionaire vigilante, is basically a repressed neurodivergent who does everything in his power to conform to society and make others do the same. He's pretty terrible. The Joker on the other hand is gently caress-you-queer and cool (aside from the murdering)

I'm an idiot, but HMMMMM could it be the billionaire Waynes are responsible for creating the material conditions for Bruce's parents to get killed by destitute people

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Paladinus posted:

Excuse me?

Ftfy

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

нижний хуй

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Thomas Wayne hosed around and found out.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Weird, last night I was specifically cutting out this panel

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Palladium posted:

I'm an idiot, but HMMMMM could it be the billionaire Waynes are responsible for creating the material conditions for Bruce's parents to get killed by destitute people

No you see, the Waynes were philanthropists and tried to be a force of good in the city. Yes

Anyway, not all superheroes are liberals, some are straight up fascist. Judge Dredd is the best example, but Superman is pretty straight fascist Ubermensch.
Iron Man was created specifically to troll hippies by making him a billionaire arms dealer.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Femur posted:

the joker

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The only good batman villain is Vincent Price as Egghead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Super long article about garment industry fuckery in Central America and the Caribbean:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/jan/25/behind-the-label-how-the-us-stitched-up-the-honduras-garment-industry

Tl, dr: people used to wear clothes made in their home countries by companies headquartered in their home countries. Now clothes are made by desperate serfs employed by faceless multinational conglomerates in stateless zones where no laws apply and no taxes are charged. But they are cheaper than ever before!