Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Presumably one with artifacts, enchantments, and/or nonbasic lands.

:doubt:

Unless Wren and six proves this card totally broken, I don't think that would be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't think it'll be a big deal in 60 card, but I'm not looking forward to having my Nature's Will be blown up by some low colour playing caveman in commander.

Just playing, I think it's a cool card. All the channel lands seem strong and fun to put in your deck without being overbearing. I loved the Castles and I love these.

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 2, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdnjW-Cpak

I non magic pod episode of Command Cast with the Prof, I really enjoyed the free form feel of it between Josh and Prof.

Also confirmed Prof is a man of taste by being a huge fan of Rich Evans and of RLM in general.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

A drivable Mazemind Tome. Wow, Vehicle midrange may be a thing?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Sit on my Jace posted:

Here's what this flips into:

Yo, Angelo

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

i drive

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
edit never mind

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I have absolutely no idea how to rate this card.

Cool art though.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

I have absolutely no idea how to rate this card.

Cool art though.

Seems okay? It's an Azcanta spin that sometimes lets you pull a counter or burn spell out of nowhere for 'free'.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

quote:

Hinata, the Crown of Dawn
1URW
Legendary Creature - Spirit Kirin
Flying, Trample

The cost of the spell you cast is 1 less per target.

The cost of spells cast by your opponent is 1 higher for each target.

hope this isnt good enough to break something. cause it looks like it might...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Kura, the Boundless Sky

Go-Shintai of Boundless Vigor 1G

Legendary Enchantment Creature - Shrine

Trample

At the beginning of you end step, you may pay {1}. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on target shrine for each shrine you control.

1/1

Boon of Boseiju 1G
Instant Uncommon

Target creature gains +X/+X until and of turn, where X is the greatest mana value among permanents you control. Untap it.

Front:

4G

Enchantment - Saga

1/2: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature or vehicle you control. It gains vigilance until end of turn.

3: Exile ~, then return it to the battlefield transformed.

Back:

Enchantment Creature - Snake Warrior

Vigilance, haste

5/5

Common

Shiga, Okiba-gang Leader 1WB

Legendary creature - Rat Pilot

At the beginning of combat during your turn, return target Vehicle card from your graveyard onto the battlefield. It gains haste. Return it it’s owner’s hand at the beginning of your next end step.

4/3

It’s hard to say which is more deadly; her front wheel or her front teeth

Names might be incorrect.

Moonsnare Adept 3U

Creature - Human Ninja (C)

Ninjutsu 2U

When ~ enters the battlefield, return up to one target creature to it's owner's hand.

2/2

Okiba Ambusher 3B

Artifact Creature - Rat Ninja (C)

Ninjutsu 1B

Lifelink

Okiba members are proficient in hiding.

3/2

Source: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/2T_xeKqfRi15mRjPFz0B0g

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Shiga is interesting if a vehicle strategy can work. Seems like it could be great in a format Smugglers Copter is allowed to exist in.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quote:

Moonsnare Adept 3U

Creature - Human Ninja (C)

Ninjutsu 2U

When ~ enters the battlefield, return up to one target creature to it's owner's hand.

2/2

Oh my

Oh my

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Sickening posted:

What deck fears it?
It's not about any individual deck "fearing" it, it's about the fact that it's practically an auto-include in literally every green deck in all formats and that leads to homogenization of decks which I find unfun. The "cost" of running it as a 1-of is so incredibly low that it will be ubiquitous and the green effect is undercosted compared to the other colors.

Kashuno posted:

It’s good actually
No poo poo, the card is pushed as gently caress and that's my issue with it. This is the best thing they have introduced to the game since the original Companion mechanic. Atleast the DFC lands had an actual downsides (bolt/ETB tapped) to them that meant you were paying a price for running extra spells in your land slot.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Shiga wasn't the giant rat who makes all of the rules I was hoping for, but he is very exiting in his own special way.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Katana Gomai posted:

It's not about any individual deck "fearing" it, it's about the fact that it's practically an auto-include in literally every green deck in all formats and that leads to homogenization of decks which I find unfun. The "cost" of running it as a 1-of is so incredibly low that it will be ubiquitous and the green effect is undercosted compared to the other colors.

No poo poo, the card is pushed as gently caress and that's my issue with it. This is the best thing they have introduced to the game since the original Companion mechanic. Atleast the DFC lands had an actual downsides (bolt/ETB tapped) to them that meant you were paying a price for running extra spells in your land slot.

Being legendary and unfetchable is enough to make the cards fair. Having them all be removal or other basic utility isn’t close to the level of lurrus as far as warping the format goes. These are “nice to haves” so far, not really “I have to play decks that can have these”. Having answers also being uncountable is healthy.

And so far lands also being spells means less flooding and more actual games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shigeki, Jukai Visionary - 1G

Legendary Enchantment Creature - Snake Druid (Rare)

1G, Tap, return ~ to it's owner's hand: Reveal the top four cards of your library. You may put a land among them onto the battlefield tapped. Put the rest into your graveyard.
Channel - XXGG, discard Shigeki: Return X target non-legendary cards from your graveyard to your hand.

1/3

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Network Disrupter could be spicy for Pauper

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How do vehicles work? I never played that set.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MonsieurChoc posted:

They aren't creatures until their crew cost is paid, which is done by tapping any number of creatures with total power at least as much. Vehicles are still subject to summoning sickness, but a fresh creature can tap to pay crew costs. When crew cost is paid it becomes a creature until EOT.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

The gameplay pattern is usually
- Play a vehicle.
- next turn play a creature, tap that creature to crew the vehicle and attack with it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Shigeki, Jukai Visionary - 1G

Legendary Enchantment Creature - Snake Druid (Rare)

1G, Tap, return ~ to it's owner's hand: Reveal the top four cards of your library. You may put a land among them onto the battlefield tapped. Put the rest into your graveyard.
Channel - XXGG, discard Shigeki: Return X target non-legendary cards from your graveyard to your hand.

1/3

Thats a lot of slow grindy value.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thats a lot of slow grindy value.

Yea, i like him, and I really like the fact it’s not ‘activate only as a sorcery’, which they seem to have leaned on a lot lately.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
You can tap more than the required amount of power for Crew, Crew an already crewed vehicle, use vehicles to Crew other vehicles, and have a Vehicle crew itself.

The only card to say "become crewed" is Mobilizer Mech and I don't know if it means when its crew ability is activated, or when its crew ability resolves, or it becomes a creature from not being a creature specifically from the first crewing that turn.

I'll have to see the release notes.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I have decided to take the plunge back into collecting Magic on a budget, and I want you guys to recommend a strategy. There are really three things I do with MtG:

- Crack packs for dopamine
- Look at my pretty cards in binders for dopamine
- Playing precon decks with friends because I'm the only person who buys magic cards and I'm not interested in deckbuilding

Spending on precons is pretty straightforward so I'm not worried about getting advice for that. But I do want to crack packs and still have cards to put in binders. So I think I want to collect the "story" cards for each set, along with any card or variant that is just aesthetically appealing to me.

I understand that just buying singles will be the most economical way to do this, but I HAVE to crack a bunch of boosters. It's too much fun for me to give up. I want the rush of hunting for jackpots or cool-looking cards in packs. But there is a lot more variation in product than when I collected before.

QUESTIONS
1 - I am thinking I will buy a box of set (not draft) boosters for Kamigawa for my initial crack-packing frenzy, then selling cards I don't like, and using that to defray the cost of buying the singles I think look cool. Are set boosters the best bet for this approach? I'm guessing they are since they have more foils and alternate-art cards, but there are just so many freaking sealed products now.
2 - How long before a set releases does every card get spoiled? So I can make a list of what I'm hoping to crack.
3 - Is there a market for essentially bulk selling all the trash cards you get from opening packs? It looks like I will still get a bunch of chaff, which is fine; it's the cost of wanting to open packs. But I don't want all these cards to sit in my closet unused. I would like to make a token amount of money for getting rid of them, but if donating them is the only way to reclaim the closet space, I'll do it.
4 - This one is stupid - how do you guys organize/maintain your sell/trade binders? I've sorted all my old cards and have $2+ cards separated out. Are you supposed to sleeve the cards as well as put them in the binder page? Are basic cheapo clear sleeves okay if they're going into a binder?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This is a fun one

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is a fun one

oh thank god wulfgar but good

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The anime art for Shiga makes her look like a mix of Gadget from Rescue Rangers and Kei from Dirty Pair Flash. :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

From MTG France

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
WOTC 2004: We really want Kamigawa to be a culturally appropriate and sensitive take on traditional Japan. We can't just make Kamigawa our anime set.

WOTC 2022:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

From MTG France

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

big cummers ONLY posted:

I have decided to take the plunge back into collecting Magic on a budget, and I want you guys to recommend a strategy. There are really three things I do with MtG:

- Crack packs for dopamine
- Look at my pretty cards in binders for dopamine
- Playing precon decks with friends because I'm the only person who buys magic cards and I'm not interested in deckbuilding

Spending on precons is pretty straightforward so I'm not worried about getting advice for that. But I do want to crack packs and still have cards to put in binders. So I think I want to collect the "story" cards for each set, along with any card or variant that is just aesthetically appealing to me.

I understand that just buying singles will be the most economical way to do this, but I HAVE to crack a bunch of boosters. It's too much fun for me to give up. I want the rush of hunting for jackpots or cool-looking cards in packs. But there is a lot more variation in product than when I collected before.

QUESTIONS
1 - I am thinking I will buy a box of set (not draft) boosters for Kamigawa for my initial crack-packing frenzy, then selling cards I don't like, and using that to defray the cost of buying the singles I think look cool. Are set boosters the best bet for this approach? I'm guessing they are since they have more foils and alternate-art cards, but there are just so many freaking sealed products now.
2 - How long before a set releases does every card get spoiled? So I can make a list of what I'm hoping to crack.
3 - Is there a market for essentially bulk selling all the trash cards you get from opening packs? It looks like I will still get a bunch of chaff, which is fine; it's the cost of wanting to open packs. But I don't want all these cards to sit in my closet unused. I would like to make a token amount of money for getting rid of them, but if donating them is the only way to reclaim the closet space, I'll do it.
4 - This one is stupid - how do you guys organize/maintain your sell/trade binders? I've sorted all my old cards and have $2+ cards separated out. Are you supposed to sleeve the cards as well as put them in the binder page? Are basic cheapo clear sleeves okay if they're going into a binder?

Set boosters are what you want if you love cracking packs.

Full set reveal on the Mothership website typically goes up in the last week before launch. Typically most of the cards are already spoiled but there are some draft role-player commons hiding away in there.

Not much of a market for bulk selling, you may find a game store that will buy your bulk. Many just take the "draft leavings" with a little store credit or cash from the boosters you bought from them in the first place.

Yes, sleeve and then put in the binder, use tight fitting inners from Dragon Shield or KMC.

You should consider maintaining a cube if you love looking at your interesting cards and sometimes even want to play with them!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Huxley posted:

WOTC 2004: We really want Kamigawa to be a culturally appropriate and sensitive take on traditional Japan. We can't just make Kamigawa our anime set.

WOTC 2022:

i mean, for one they hosed up being culturally appopriate when they made kami vengeful demons

for the other that's hatsune miku and not a wotc original character

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
WotC marketing plan for explosive revenue growth, 1 in 4 cases have a special Hatsune Miku AR card.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Futuristic Japan absolutely will have virtual idols so Miku slots right in

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

flatluigi posted:

i mean, for one they hosed up being culturally appopriate when they made kami vengeful demons

for the other that's hatsune miku and not a wotc original character

Wasn't the Kami War caused by humans loving up the Kami?

Do we have the Neon Kamigawa story yet?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

So I played magic a ton like 20 years ago. Back then the only way I ever played was 60 cards to a deck, no more than 4 of each card except basic lands, and each player started with 20 life. Games were either 1 on 1, 2 on 2, or 3 or 4 player free for alls. Recently I went down to my local games shop to see about getting back into the game and as far as I can tell everyone just plays commander these days, a format I have no real interest in due to the no duplicates rule. Of course it was "commander night" (I didn't know what that meant until I got there) so maybe other days are not so commander focused.

Also there seems to be a real focus on not making decks too strong. I honestly have no idea how good terrible my old decks are. Back in the day they won a bit less than half of the time. (One of my friends had a really mean balance/zuran orb deck.) I've got five mono color decks, one of each color. I don't know what they would be called these days but by the old naming conventions:

The red one is a burn deck based around aether flash, cheap burn spells, a few big creatures and some mass nuking (wake of destruction/nevinyrral's disk).
The green one is a stompy creature deck based around rabid wombats, ancestral mask, and other enchants that give +X and/or trample.
The white one is a white weenie deck based around white knight analogs, soltari champion, glorious anthem, and damage redirection and protection from color of choice shenanigans.
The blue one is a control deck with lots of counter spells and ways to render opposing creatures unable to do anything (opposition, fog bank, propaganda, vodalian illusionist).
The black one is a pestilence deck with urza's armor, small creatures that regenerate, and some discard and land destruction mixed in.

I don't have any of the power 9 or anything like that but I am a little worried that if I do find people to play with my decks will be so overpowered by virtue of being made of nothing but old cards that nobody will want to play me. (I remember getting crushed by older cards a lot back in the day.) Would I be better off just building a modern format deck and shelving these old things unless someone says they want to play against an old school deck? Or should I just pull them out, tell people what they are and what they do, and let them pick which one I play as?

I really just want to have some casual fun, not seal club other people who have newer or less coherent decks. In general I would greatly prefer to play with no power 9, no proxies, and no more than 4 duplicates. Are these reasonable expectations or am I just being dumb?

Antillie fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 2, 2022

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Well there's a limited beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
That seems kind of just good in general.