Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

After not really liking the first few levels of Halo Infinite once you get into the open world it becomes a lot better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

FF14 has a quit to desktop in the menu, but also if you interact with a bed in an inn you can choose quit to desktop and you climb into bed and lie down first before it closes.

Also if you quit in an inn room in any way you get a fun waking up animation the next day

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Aphrodite posted:

FF14 has a quit to desktop in the menu, but also if you interact with a bed in an inn you can choose quit to desktop and you climb into bed and lie down first before it closes.

And wake up and stretch when you log back in.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEkkRn_nzBA

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I used to alt+f4 out of Everquest while I was running forward because I liked to start off my next session with a good ol corpse hunt. Sometimes I had to search the next zone over!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The big cutscene of my victorious army in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous did not forget the order of mimic knights that I recruited.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

The big cutscene of my victorious army in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous did not forget the order of mimic knights that I recruited.

Is this game any good? What are the story systems like?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Beartaco posted:

Is this game any good? What are the story systems like?

In my opinion, it's a better Baldur's Gate 3 than Baldur's Gate 3.

It's got some flaws, like Act 4's structure and special navigation gimmick not working in my opinion, but I like it on the whole when it's not bugging out (and it has been getting regular bug fix patches).

The big story gimmick is that you can choose a mythic path imbuing you with superhuman capabilities that substantially changes the story and gives you lots of abilities in combat and story options in dialogue. I've gone the Azata path, whimsical and free-spirited Chaotic Good celestial beings who are the personifications of freedom and hope. This means that my character lead a slave revolt in the middle of hell, makes forests sprout up when she sings, and assembled an army from a wide range of outcasts, rebels, and eccentrics - including the treants and mimics you see in that screenshot. The angelic snake-people you see are celestial allies of the Azata. And when I completed the Azata-specific side stuff, my PC physically transformed into an Azata, sprouting the butterfly wings you can see in that screenshot.

The other mythic paths are Angel, Demon, Aeon (mysterious cosmic judges and inquisitors), Trickster, Devil, Dragon, Lich, Swarm that Walks, and Legend (rejecting all these mythic powers and embracing your potential as a mortal).

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

In my opinion, it's a better Baldur's Gate 3 than Baldur's Gate 3.

It's got some flaws, like Act 4's structure and special navigation gimmick not working in my opinion, but I like it on the whole when it's not bugging out (and it has been getting regular bug fix patches).

The big story gimmick is that you can choose a mythic path imbuing you with superhuman capabilities that substantially changes the story and gives you lots of abilities in combat and story options in dialogue. I've gone the Azata path, whimsical and free-spirited Chaotic Good celestial beings who are the personifications of freedom and hope. This means that my character lead a slave revolt in the middle of hell, makes forests sprout up when she sings, and assembled an army from a wide range of outcasts, rebels, and eccentrics - including the treants and mimics you see in that screenshot. The angelic snake-people you see are celestial allies of the Azata. And when I completed the Azata-specific side stuff, my PC physically transformed into an Azata, sprouting the butterfly wings you can see in that screenshot.

The other mythic paths are Angel, Demon, Aeon (mysterious cosmic judges and inquisitors), Trickster, Devil, Dragon, Lich, Swarm that Walks, and Legend (rejecting all these mythic powers and embracing your potential as a mortal).

I'm not hugely into top down computer RPGs but this sounds rad as hell, you might have sold me! I never played Pathfinder Kingmaker, is that an issue?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Beartaco posted:

I'm not hugely into top down computer RPGs but this sounds rad as hell, you might have sold me! I never played Pathfinder Kingmaker, is that an issue?

Nope. There's a few references to Kingmaker but nothing significant. Wrath is an adaptation of a tabletop game module.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

Nope. There's a few references to Kingmaker but nothing significant. Wrath is an adaptation of a tabletop game module.

I would warn that it's based off the Pathfinder first edition ruleset, to a pretty complicated extent; if you play at any higher difficulty in particular you may need to do some research to be sure you know what you're doing in the game unless you already know the Pathfinder tabletop rules well.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
In Wrath of the Righteous there’s a bug where one of the spells lets you place a (fairly weak) trap as a free action, and you can do it as many times as you want, so you can win almost any fight by instantly dropping 500 traps under a demon lord’s feet.

But there’s a catch! The traps stick around for a while, and your teammates make no effort to avoid traps, so if you’re not super careful moving your guys around, or if a cutscene makes you walk somewhere after the fight, you might just casually stroll into the mega death zone and get instantly annihilated. This is the risk you take when meddling with such powerful destructive forces.

It’s definitely a game where the dev’s reach exceeds their grasp, but I’ve had a ton of fun playing it and there’s an impressive amount of reactivity and branching paths in the story and companion stuff.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Snake Maze posted:

In Wrath of the Righteous there’s a bug where one of the spells lets you place a (fairly weak) trap as a free action, and you can do it as many times as you want, so you can win almost any fight by instantly dropping 500 traps under a demon lord’s feet.

But there’s a catch! The traps stick around for a while, and your teammates make no effort to avoid traps, so if you’re not super careful moving your guys around, or if a cutscene makes you walk somewhere after the fight, you might just casually stroll into the mega death zone and get instantly annihilated. This is the risk you take when meddling with such powerful destructive forces.

It’s definitely a game where the dev’s reach exceeds their grasp, but I’ve had a ton of fun playing it and there’s an impressive amount of reactivity and branching paths in the story and companion stuff.

Does the "dispel your own effects" spell not get rid of those?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

MadDogMike posted:

Does the "dispel your own effects" spell not get rid of those?

It does, yes... but only one trap at a time. If you placed 100 traps, you need to dispel 100 traps.

Of course, if you really want to cheese the game like this it's better to go angel and get the upgrade that lets you do the same thing by turning your halo off and on again real fast, since that doesn't leave any mess to clean up.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

I've been kinda bouncing off Kingmaker a little, just got to where I can manage the town. Combat difficult feels all over the place, the bigger fights are far easier then just 5 bandits when 2 of them are archers.

Also: Vampire Survivors is incredible.

CitizenKain has a new favorite as of 06:35 on Feb 2, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is CoDzilla still a low-system-mastery-required steamroller in wotr's implementation of D&D3?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'd heard that Wrath was a bit, erm, clunky? In terms of having a billion sub systems and various different sorts of armour that massively mattered.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In FF7 Remake I just did the option at the start of the final act where you take the stairs. It was hilarious.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Josef bugman posted:

I'd heard that Wrath was a bit, erm, clunky? In terms of having a billion sub systems and various different sorts of armour that massively mattered.

Oh god, yes. God. Yes. Still fun though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

In FF7 Remake I just did the option at the start of the final act where you take the stairs. It was hilarious.

You want more 'fun'? Turn around and try going back down halfway up.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

sebmojo posted:

Oh god, yes. God. Yes. Still fun though.

To me it seemed more like a slog and a half. That and a load of bug complaints.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm having more fun with Sonic Unleashed on Wii than I expected. Even the Werehog stages are pretty good with a nice mix of platforming, exploration and little enough combat to not get annoying.

What I really like, however, is how it handles extra lives. The system has been vestigial at the very least since the jump to 3D, but it has annoyingly persisted throughout most Sonic games with the stupidest possible implementation. I'll give the Sonic 06 example because that's what I'm most familiar with, maybe Adventure 1 works a little differently but whatever. In 06, you start with 5 lives at the start of the game, or when you replay individual stages. If you lose one, you restart at the last checkpoint, if you lose all, back to the main menu you go. So far, so normal (and outdated). It does save extra lives, so if you get a bunch in the early stages, you can amass a double-digit number and have some leftover for later, harder levels. Again, normal. But these are the dumbass decisions that drag the system down:
- you can only get extra lives once. If you get one from a container, die and respawn before it, the container will be empty. Yes, that prevents you from having basically infinite lives if you can at least make it to the container. So what, I say.
- it also saves if you have less than 5 lives, so you might as well game over deliberately to refill to 5.
- here's the stupidest part: if you retry a stage, it costs a life. I have no idea why the hell they would do that. You're not restarting from a checkpoint after all, which might be a small if dumb justification, but no - it's a full restart. If you die early in a stage, it would make sense for you to just restart with a fresh 5, but in order to do that, you don't have to restart - you have to quit to menu and restart from there. Which has the same result but adds a lot of menus and loading time. Especially in 06.
- this persists even if you replay a stage. So if I refight a boss to get an S-Rank, and realize it's going badly, a retry costs a life. In practice, I get five tries per boss until I have to quit to menu before trying again, it just adds unneccessary tedium. It's super stupid.

So how does Unwiished fix that? Well, for starters, you get 2 lives and you always get those. Fresh load? 2 lives. Game over? 2 lives. Restart with 1 or 0 lives? Here you go, 2 again. Checkpoints remain meaningful and you don't want to game over late in a stage, but if you end a stage with 0 lives and a sigh of relief, the next starts with 2 all over. It just removes a lot of tedium like that. And conversely, there actually aren't extra lives in the stages - none for 100 rings, none as pick-ups. You don't lose some you farmed up before with the reset to 2 - because you can't farm them. They don't have to balance around the fact that you might get a life after each checkpoint, and you don't get these awkward moments where the designers "compensate" for a janky and/or overtuned stage by just showering you with extra lives. All older 3D Sonics except for Unwiished do that nonsense.

But here's the kicker: you can unlock extra mini-puzzle areas with the medals you earn for competent playing and doing missions, and in those areas, you can find extra life pickups. And those increase you limit beyond 2. Forever. I now start every stage with a comfortable 5 lives, and that number will probably only go up. This is such a sensible, rewarding and sleek system I'm amazed that no other game I know has copied it. Like, Mega Man X4-6 give you the EX Tank that makes you start with 4 instead of 2 lives, but don't remove any of the other issues with lives, making it meaningless. Hell, in X6 extra lives are actively detrimental because you restart from checkpoint even after a game over, but you can't escape stages except with a game over, and you can end up in unwinnable situations, so sometimes you have 9 lives in a softlock situation and have to keep killing yourself to escape it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Pathfinder is really great, but yeah has a lot of bugs and issues, and the game 100% expects you to know the systems and be able to build strong characters around that knowledge. If you don't, you'll be fighting poo poo on the regular that you have a 5% chance to hit and that always hits your tank and flattens them, and your spells will constantly fail against spell resistance. And that's on Normal difficulty!

It may not be worth the $40 risk for someone that is on the fence or not familiar with crpgs/pathfinder.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It may not be worth the $40 risk for someone that is on the fence or not familiar with crpgs/pathfinder.

Or just set it to story mode. I made it a fair way into Act 2 on story before deciding it was just too easy.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Pathfinder turned me off by requiring minmaxing and full buffs to take down 3 wolves and I'm a huge Baldurs Gate fan. It's a good game if you feel like dealing with it but I understand why pathfinder has the reputation it does. It really is for people who think early editions of DnD weren't bullshit enough.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brandfarlig posted:

Pathfinder turned me off by requiring minmaxing and full buffs to take down 3 wolves.

Unless you were playing on Unfair (and even then really), this is an exaggeration.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Pathfinder is really great, but yeah has a lot of bugs and issues, and the game 100% expects you to know the systems and be able to build strong characters around that knowledge. If you don't, you'll be fighting poo poo on the regular that you have a 5% chance to hit and that always hits your tank and flattens them, and your spells will constantly fail against spell resistance. And that's on Normal difficulty!

I don't know if I'd go quite that far. I don't have any pathfinder experience, but I've been playing on the difficulty one step up from normal and I've been able to get by with everyone by just picking a class and sticking to it. It's definitely hardest at the start - the tavern defense in chapter one was the most difficult fight in the game - and it doesn't do a great job with explaining how everything works, but even with a couple respecs as I figure out what works my characters are definitely far from optimal and I'm steamrolling acts 4 and 5. (Mostly on the back of Angel's insanely strong spellbook, but still)

The one thing I definitely would recommend is using an autobuff mod. Buffs are huge and you always want to have your party under as many as you can, and recasting them all manually is a chore.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I find Wrath's difficulty pretty good, actually. It's extremely modular, and can range from attack-move being the only tactic you need, to someone who thought Tomb of Horrors was a snoozefest.

Another fun thing I liked about the game, when you lock in your mythic path for good, not only does your character model change, you can swap to a new portrait reflecting your fully transformed character. Here's my protagonist fresh to level 20, fully transformed as an Azata.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I find Wrath's difficulty pretty good, actually. It's extremely modular, and can range from attack-move being the only tactic you need, to someone who thought Tomb of Horrors was a snoozefest.

Another fun thing I liked about the game, when you lock in your mythic path for good, not only does your character model change, you can swap to a new portrait reflecting your fully transformed character. Here's my protagonist fresh to level 20, fully transformed as an Azata.

... hang on. Wait a loving second. Is... is that a fox as a party member? If you're going to tell me all this poo poo you can do, and neglect something as simply awesome as "By the way, you can have a fox as a party member", I highly question your priorities.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randalor posted:

... hang on. Wait a loving second. Is... is that a fox as a party member? If you're going to tell me all this poo poo you can do, and neglect something as simply awesome as "By the way, you can have a fox as a party member", I highly question your priorities.

Kitsune are a playable race, yes, and there is a kitsune companion. The Fox That Ponders, as the discords I'm in are prone to calling her, is a wizard.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

To give a contrary opinion, I thought WotR was hot garbage. The script is painfully terrible, there's loads of utterly irrelevant conversations that you're forced to sit through, and there are loads of stuff that feels extremely artificial. Like right at the start a blatantly evil spider-lady offers to reward you with soldiers for your army - an army that you do not yet have, does not have any presence in the story yet, and is an offer that only makes sense if your character somehow knows they're in a game where eventually they will build up a massive army.

Yes, the plot massively diverges and changes based on your choices, but there's so many hidden and convoluted branches that it borders on incoherence. But also very obvious choices can't be made. In the middle of one chapter there's a suggestion of a traitor in your midst. You can find irrefutable proof of who that traitor is, but you are never given the ability to do anything about it, you have to stand around and wait for the inevitable betrayal. But also I never had any interaction with this character before identifying them as the traitor, so none of the plot or motivations made a blind bit of sense.

The combat is riddled with bugs (or at least it was when I last played) to the point that many abilities are literally non-functional. I was a mage-knight-tank thingy, and was supposed to be able to buff my armour in a way that stacks with enhancement bonuses - but it doesn't stack. Charge attacks will randomly fail for no clear reason. I had companions get attacks of opportunity on random turns (without using the various abilities that trigger these) - Character A would attack Enemy 1, and then Character B halfway across the battlefield would get AoO on Enemy 2. There was (is?) a bug where swarms get to attack every enemy they move through - one fight against rats in a cramped house means your party members each take 5 saves a turn to not be stunned, with predictably frustrating results.

But even if they fix the bugs, the PF1e style combat is awful. So many stacking buffs and bonuses, and massive assortments of spells that you have to manually apply all the time. Owlcat cannot design a balanced combat encounter to save their lives. Depending on low/medium difficulties you steamroll right through the enemies mindlessly. Turn it up a notch and you're only hitting enemies on crits.

The game also loves area of effect disables. Sometimes multiple enemies with area of effect disables.

It also likes throwing sequences of meaningless skill checks at you. Roll stealth to sneak up on the dragon. Then roll stealth again to actually sneak up on it. In that particular fight I had a Dragon Slayer companion join me, but his death would give an instant game over and not allow me the chance to resurrect him. So my big dramatic Dragon Slayer dude actually had to run to the opposite corner and stay out the way the whole fight. And after the first stage the dragon flies away, and you have to immediately run your party blindly into the fog-of-war to find him and continue the fight. If you run the wrong direction he flies away for good and the quest is failed.

If WotR was my DM in tabletop, I would be throwing my dice at his head on an hourly basis.

Although I'll credit it this - the obviously evil companions, who everybody seems to tolerate despite how moustache-twirling they are, are extremely fun.

Edit: and the army/kingdom level play is incredibly intricate and tedious, but the battles come down to smashing units together in a featureless grid with barely any thought or strategy. But if you automate it to skip that awfulness, you'll miss out on various quests and custom magic items. Good going Owlcat.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
It also lets you do some insanely stupid builds, like this one that I had for one of my companions in the Lich path:

This was this character's average damage :allears:

E:

quote:

The combat is riddled with bugs (or at least it was when I last played) to the point that many abilities are literally non-functional. I was a mage-knight-tank thingy, and was supposed to be able to buff my armour in a way that stacks with enhancement bonuses - but it doesn't stack.

This, sadly, is a thing from the base Pathfinder game. They were being accurate! :ignorance:

Galick has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Feb 2, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

drat, guess that DR 4 wasn't that great after all

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
PYF detailed multiparagraph screeds about why you don't like the game currently being discussed

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this thread's been going on for years and somehow people still get confused about people enjoying things they don't, it's wild

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PYF detailed multiparagraph screeds about why you don't like the game currently being discussed

Yes? Beartaco asked if it was any good. I gave an answer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another funny thing about Wrath: the main villain has a complex and tragic backstory and deep personal connection to the PC and this can lead to some really complex event sequences to change her fate and yours.

I, however, have been skipping every opportunity to talk to her in favor of attacking immediately.

The game has noticed this, and the villain is so drat mad that my PC does not give the slightest poo poo about her motives or goals and just intends to kill her. :allears:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

flatluigi posted:

this thread's been going on for years and somehow people still get confused about people enjoying things they don't, it's wild

yeah.

i mean, derails are endemic to PYF, but we have an exact counter to this thread. go crosspost in the PYF Dragging Down A Game.

Anyways, for a little thing I am digging in Witcher 3:

Gwent.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yes? Beartaco asked if it was any good. I gave an answer.

:jerkbag:

Sally posted:

yeah.

i mean, derails are endemic to PYF, but we have an exact counter to this thread. go crosspost in the PYF Dragging Down A Game.

Anyways, for a little thing I am digging in Witcher 3:

Gwent.

I wish the standalone was the same as the mini game. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

No, seriously, what is your problem? Should I have just said "its bad" and moved on?