Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

imo its all about bean quality. high end single origin beans are best in a v60 but it doesnt matter that much for a blend (and might even taste better in a moka pot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
There's something I read or heard somewhere several years ago by this point in saying that technique in brewing doesn't add anything to the coffee other than transparency - you expose the things that are already there locked into the bean. To that end, I definitely agree, especially for pourovers and full immersion brewing. Espresso happens to have a significantly lower error tolerance but otherwise same observation applies.

Just thinking about a 'high end coffee starter kit', honestly I'd probably start someone with a good pack of fresh beans and a small French press. Clever drippers require filters, iirc, but out of all the many ways I've prepared and enjoyed coffee, nothing quite beats a good press.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I tried Hoffman’s technique on my Moka pot, using a Papau New Guinea light-medium roast. 30 grams of coffee, ground about 20% finer than I use for V60. All my other moka pots came out super bitter or lemon juice sour but this one was excellent. I got about 155 grams out. I mixed it with some hot milk frothed with a French press and it was awesome.

But yeah it was a huge pain in the rear end and didn’t make that much for how much coffee it took. I’m glad I know how to use it well but not a good daily driver for me.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

MetaJew posted:

Related to the moka pot, what do y'all use to funnel in grounds without making a mess? I always wind up spilling grounds all over my counter trying to pour from my Vario's grounds bin, and I know you're not supposed to tamp the coffee into the basket so I'm always hesitant to really start packing in the grounds too much with my finger to make more room when filling it.

This is such a weak point of the design.

I hold my grinder's bin in one hand, the moka basket in the other hand between thumb and middle finger, then pour out the corner of the grinder bin whilst tapping with the index finger of the hand holding the moka basket. Stopping occasionally to just tap the side of the moka basket to settle the grounds a bit, before skimming off the top with something flat. All done over the sink because it's annoyingly messy and wasteful.

Then there's nowhere to set the moka basket down whilst I fill the base with water - I end up resting it between the bars covering one of my hobs.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

For what it's worth I get excellent results out of my 6-cup Bialetti - of the 280g water capacity I can get over 210g out which by Hoffmann's take is pretty great!

GE gas stove on the tiny burner that is basically the same diameter as the base of the pot. Boiling water in the base, 24g of medium roast coffee ground about 10 on an Encore, basically between espresso and pour over, though I don't really notice a huge difference w/ grind size. Put it on that tiny burner on high and once the flow out of the top starts to speed up reduce to the lowest setting.

Makes a great base for 2 quick lattes/flat whites too!

Put the basket in a shot glass to fill/distribute btw ;D

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

amenenema posted:

Put the basket in a shot glass to fill/distribute btw ;D

:aaaaa:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

My exact response upon thinking of it and trying it.

Also Hoffmann has a video about 3D printing coffee things and one of the items is a moka pot basket holder.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Baratza has refurb Encore available on their store right now: https://www.baratza.com/shop/refurb

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MetaJew posted:

Related to the moka pot, what do y'all use to funnel in grounds without making a mess?

I keep a couple plastic flexible cutting mats around the kitchen for funnel duties. I use them as funnels more often than I cut stuff on them.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

The Postman posted:

Baratza has refurb Encore available on their store right now: https://www.baratza.com/shop/refurb

Thanks. I just bought one for my sister. She has been using a whirly blade for 20+ years. Time to retire it to spices.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Brut posted:

Ok I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a JX-pro because $160 is a lot for a grinder but also it's only $40 away from the J-MAX which has even finer adjustment.

So my search for alternatives has led me to these Sozen Turkish coffee grinders, does anyone have experience of trying to use them or something similar for dialing in espresso? Is this a fool's errand?

Bit late here but I would avoid this. Turkish grind is its own thing which is finer but less demanding than espresso grind. I can’t tell from images what the adjustment mechanism is, but it’ll be tuned for that style and may not have the adjustability or repeatability, or possibly even the range, you’d want for espresso. OTOH if it doesn’t work for espresso you’d at least have a nice grinder for turkish so it wouldn’t be a total loss.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

hypnophant posted:

Bit late here but I would avoid this. Turkish grind is its own thing which is finer but less demanding than espresso grind. I can’t tell from images what the adjustment mechanism is, but it’ll be tuned for that style and may not have the adjustability or repeatability, or possibly even the range, you’d want for espresso. OTOH if it doesn’t work for espresso you’d at least have a nice grinder for turkish so it wouldn’t be a total loss.

Nah you're not late, I haven't bought anything yet. Judging by this video the adjustment mechanism seems stepless which is what gave me some hope, but I have no idea as far as repeatability, or if the entire range is too fine, or maybe the grind isn't consistent enough or something else can go wrong :shrug:

It's too bad there don't seem to be any discounts/coupons for 1zpresso, the cheaper ones are perpetually $10 off on Amazon but the JX-pro and J-max don't even have that, sigh.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
The best discount for 1zpresso is knowing someone in taiwan to buy the grinder and bring it to you whenever they happen to be able to :v:.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Do you guys ever get the coffee dream with Hoffman in it?

Must just be me then....

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jestery posted:

Must just be me then....

You may be overcaffeinated if-

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jestery posted:

Must just be me then....

did you punch him in the face?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

You attempt to punch Dream!Hoffman but your comically slow fist is intercepted by sentient threads from his protective sweater.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Constantly muttering “thank you so much for watching, and I hope you have a great day” in my sleep

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm haunted by how he pronounced "Timemore" in this hand grinder comparison video.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I can't get his staccato pronunciation of moka out of my head.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Democratic Pirate posted:

You attempt to punch Dream!Hoffman but your comically slow fist is intercepted by sentient threads from his protective sweater.

The threads envelope you in a too tight hug

"e-n-j-o-y" he says too close to your ear

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My husband wants a moka pot for our anniversary. Someone over in the appliance thread sent me here. Tell me about moka pots, and keep in mind my husband is a coffee snob with a countertop espresso machine he pretty much no longer uses cuz he does the weird plunger thing on the counter I associate with camping now (is that cold press? I don't even drink coffee and never have).

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just get him a bialetti they are the OG.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

get this weird... thing

hoffmann just did a bunch of videos about these but there's no "here's the best one to buy", sounds like just get a metal bialetti as mentioned above

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Oracle posted:

My husband wants a moka pot for our anniversary. Someone over in the appliance thread sent me here. Tell me about moka pots, and keep in mind my husband is a coffee snob with a countertop espresso machine he pretty much no longer uses cuz he does the weird plunger thing on the counter I associate with camping now (is that cold press? I don't even drink coffee and never have).

go outside the box. bripe.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Oracle posted:

if he's a coffee snob and is interested in a moka pot now I'd put good money that he's watching the hoffman series on it (like everyone else ITT) and am sure he would like the Bialetti Express 6-cup Moka Pot, which will run you $40-50. If you're want to spend a little more consider (in order of how useful they'll be to making moka pot coffee):
- the Bialetti stainless steel heat diffuser ($20)
- a pack of aeropress paper filters ($10 for a bunch, iirc)
- a set of Bialetti replacement gaskets for the 6-cup moka (also around $10)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Deathlove posted:

go outside the box. bripe.

:hmmyes:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

if he's a coffee snob and is interested in a moka pot now I'd put good money that he's watching the hoffman series on it (like everyone else ITT) and am sure he would like the Bialetti Express 6-cup Moka Pot, which will run you $40-50. If you're want to spend a little more consider (in order of how useful they'll be to making moka pot coffee):

Aeropress! That's what its called! I hate those filters they mung up my composting :P

Why do I need a heat diffuser and a pot? What does the heat diffuser do? The gaskets wear out a lot? I take it all this stuff can be found on amazon or should I go elsewhere because amazon is crap and I'll get some cheap Chinese knockoff that'll give him lead poisoning?

Also what is a bripe?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Oracle posted:

Aeropress! That's what its called! I hate those filters they mung up my composting :P

Why do I need a heat diffuser and a pot? What does the heat diffuser do? The gaskets wear out a lot? I take it all this stuff can be found on amazon or should I go elsewhere because amazon is crap and I'll get some cheap Chinese knockoff that'll give him lead poisoning?

Also what is a bripe?

The heat diffuser is mostly useful if you have a gas or induction stovetop (or want to use it on like a camp stove or portable gas stove or w/e) and will help maintain an even and consistent temperature. It's not at all necessary but will make for a nicer and more consistent process. If he's already got an aeropress he's got the filters and they'll make for nicer moka output.

The gaskets don't wear out a lot, but it's nice to have backups. There's not really anything else to get moka wise, I don't think.

also, big beautiful bripes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tltBHjmIUJ0
I don't know if you can get them any more but it'd be very funny

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

when I told myself that I would wait until my old kettle died before getting a gooseneck kettle, I was thinking more long term, like a few years, but here we are and now there's a Hario with temperature control on the way :homebrew:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I only watched the video from the side, but doesn't he recommend going for a stainless pot now? The one he has in the video seems to be a Bialetti Venus, which I would own if it hadn't been sold out everywhere the last time I was shopping for pots.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
ah I might have missed that. Stainless would seem better if only because you could probably toss it in the dishwasher

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Almost done with my first bag of beans! I got a sumatra dark roast on a friend's recommendation, and its super flavorful and nice, but its a bit strong for anything but morning coffee for me. I should try something thats a medium roast if i want a lighter flavor, right? I'm using a french press for reference.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Argona posted:

Almost done with my first bag of beans! I got a sumatra dark roast on a friend's recommendation, and its super flavorful and nice, but its a bit strong for anything but morning coffee for me. I should try something thats a medium roast if i want a lighter flavor, right? I'm using a french press for reference.

Is strong really the word you're looking for here?

Strength (or darkness? or whatever) should be an indicator of extraction of the coffee , which means you should be adjusting your brew method and not the bean itself.

If what you actually mean is too bitter but the correct extraction level, then generally the lighter the roast the less bitter the flavor, but not always. Coffee (especially specialty, single origin coffee) can have a very wide range of flavors that are agnostic of roast level.

This is an old video, but I recommend trying to brew the coffee this way before deciding what kind of bean you want to try. My guess is you had way too much extraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8

If you're still feeling similar, I recommend going more off of tasting notes then roast level. You'd want to look for tasting notes such as these

quote:

Toasted wheat, Honey, Brown Sugar

quote:

Brown Sugar, Raisin, Molasses

quote:

toasted almond and vanilla, chocolate

Maybe even stonefruit. Things that are sweet, but not too bitter.
You'll want to avoid overly bitter sounding palates like

quote:

Smoked Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Black Tea

You'll see some fruit stuff on lighter roasts. If you're new to specialty coffee you may not like those. They will have a very strong acidic flavor.

If you're really unsure, Driftaway coffee offers this "Explorer Pack" which gives you something from each generalized coffee flavor palate. It makes it a little easier to determine what you like, but is useless if your brew method is bad.

https://driftaway.coffee/coffee-sampler/

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dark roasted indonesian coffees have really strong flavors it's a completely reasonable thing to say

anyways you might try something medium from south/central america (guatemala, colombia) if you're looking for something a little less in your face

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 10, 2022

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm in the market for a french press that can do coffee for 5-8 people. Is there a ~48oz insulated french press that this thread recommends at all? Or is that too unwieldy?

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Is strong really the word you're looking for here?

I actually have been using the method in the video! I guess what I meant by strong is a heavier taste rather than straight out bitterness. That would fit in tasting notes rather than "strong", If I have that right?

eke out posted:

dark roasted indonesian coffees have really strong flavors it's a completely reasonable thing to say

anyways you might try something medium from south/central america (guatemala, colombia) if you're looking for something a little less in your face

My local roaster has guatamala and columbia! I'll give one of those a shot for my next bag.

Argona fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 10, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

El Mero Mero posted:

I'm in the market for a french press that can do coffee for 5-8 people. Is there a ~48oz insulated french press that this thread recommends at all? Or is that too unwieldy?

You should try google "large french press". There are many out there, and it's pretty easy to sift through all the options. The hardest part will be preheating the carafe and finding a place to store it. I don't think any of the really precise brands will make one that large, but Bodum seems to make one and that will be pretty decent until you bend the plunger.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anything worth buying at Peet's? I got a $20 gift card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Depends on if you like charcoal coffee.

I have a mug from there that someone got me, it’s a pretty good mug.