Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, the shooter was at fault at first and then proceeded to escalate everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
There are far deeper problems if throwing a water bottle leads to a genuine self defence argument

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There are so many people who post in the car-hating thread to defend drivers doing objectively insane things and I don't understand it. Car brain is worse than worm brains

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jestery posted:

There are far deeper problems if throwing a water bottle leads to a genuine self defence argument

they use that rationale all the time to exonerate drivers for running people over

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

lets hear it for the car brained gun fuckers! hip hip-

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Clark Nova posted:

they use that rationale all the time to exonerate drivers for running people over

I can atleast follow that line of logic

"THE CAR is under attack, use the defence of THE CAR" it's not right but I can follow the line of logic

the shooting is just so emblematic of gun culture, like if I was driving and heard a bang on my car , my immediate response isn't a gun, it's "what the hell was that" to immediately bring out a gun isn't a cultural response I could ever have

It's why I mean a deeper problem than just car culture

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The worst part about trying to Google "Florida road rage shooting" is just how many responses there are.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

unloading a full clip on basically any car anywhere near me when i'm on a bike because car-brain guys said it's justified self-defense

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
the correct response for both drivers, was to drive their cars into bollards immediately

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my wife and i are trying to conceive baby number 2 (hopefully no miscarriage this time lol) and it rocks that, because of the lovely car dependent nature of houston, one extra child means two extra car seats (since we both need our own cars to live and get around here). every time i strap my lil boy into his car seat it boggles my mind how we deform our lives around these fuckin 2 ton mobility cages.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jestery posted:

I can atleast follow that line of logic

really?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jestery posted:

the shooting is just so emblematic of gun culture, like if I was driving and heard a bang on my car , my immediate response isn't a gun, it's "what the hell was that" to immediately bring out a gun isn't a cultural response I could ever have

he had the gun out before he heard the bang, watch the video. he was prepared to shoot that guy from the moment he brake checked him

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
It's not running a stop sign, see, the car was only going 2 MPH :downs:
https://twitter.com/WholeMarsBlog/status/1488590960053276672?t=VwkT1fyqA2kaOmQJCTlwLA&s=19
Note: the car was going unanimously higher than 2 MPH in the videos I've seen. Who wants to get the interpretation of "no one there" is complete poo poo and is going to murder folks?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Man Musk posted:

jesus christ just stick newspapers and mailers into every exhaust pipe u see and hope for the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdnI3cXyAQ

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's not running a stop sign, see, the car was only going 2 MPH :downs:
https://twitter.com/WholeMarsBlog/status/1488590960053276672?t=VwkT1fyqA2kaOmQJCTlwLA&s=19
Note: the car was going unanimously higher than 2 MPH in the videos I've seen. Who wants to get the interpretation of "no one there" is complete poo poo and is going to murder folks?

lol this poo poo is so funny. "it's not running a stop sign it's simply slowing down and rolling through without coming to a complete stop!" which is literally running a stop sign. you have to stop! it's right there on the sign.

destroy all cars, and perhaps many drivers as well.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I mean yeah

It's why this video has gone viral, if instead of getting his gun out he had rammed him I could say "well that's dumb, but car brain Gunna car brain"

Whereas ,as you describe this dude just itching to shoot someone is loving terrifying and emblematic of a deeper problem than car brain

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Dolphin posted:

wut

u yank it and cork it in half a second and spill maybe a mouthful of oil

WTF do u drink oil with then?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I haven't really been following the updated Highway Code in the UK, but the car-brained reactions are predictable, whether or not the changes are actually significant.

But this article is a new level of bad journalism

Drivers are calling for new Highway Code changes to be axed after two days

We have

quote:

Drivers in the UK are calling for the latest changes to the Highway Code to be axed over fears they could be unsafe.

Which drivers? All drivers? Drivers generally?

quote:

Action group Voters for Motors is worried that a new road user hierarchy could result in an increased number of road traffic accidents.

Voters for Motors is formed of individuals from organisations like FairFuelUK, the Motorcycle Action Group and the Alliance of British Drivers.

Oh. A lobby group. But apparently a surprisingly powerful one:

quote:

The group is set to meet on Tuesday to look at potentially scrapping the updated rules to the Highway Code.

Bizarre phrasing that makes it sound like this group has veto power over the rule change.

But what are the terrible new rules that are making motorists' lives a misery? The only one vaguely alluded to is

quote:

A spokesperson said: “Our concerns over the Highway Code include the fact that encouraging the undertaking and overtaking of vehicles intending to turn by cyclists will cause more crashes that drivers will be blamed for under the new ‘hierarchy of road users’,” they told MailOnline.

Translation: we want to be able to turn across a cycle lane to the car's left (UK: "easy" turn) without looking.

That's it. The only other changes mentioned are the "hierarchy of road users" (not expanded upon, because self-evidently outrageous that motorists are held more responsible), and

quote:

Under the new rules, cyclists are now advised to ride in the centre of lanes on quieter roads, in slower-moving traffic, and when approaching junctions, to make themselves as visible as possible.

Which is printed twice, - I guess those are the only 3 things, so they had to repeat one to fill space

But it's not their fault:

quote:

“Almost two thirds of drivers polled said that they never brush up on changes to the Highway Code themselves.

“A further 61 percent believed the Government should take responsibility in making road users aware of any changes.

So that's fine!

E: here's an article with some actual information

The new rule about giving way to someone waiting to cross the side-road you're turning into will be fun, given that approx 0.1% of motorists seemed to know the existing rule (give way when someone's started to cross) and yell at you for getting in their way :rolleyes:

Bobstar has issued a correction as of 12:33 on Feb 2, 2022

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I feel like maybe a public policy of "if someone throws a water bottle at you, please feel free to fire off 11 bullets on a freeway in the name of self-defense" creates some perverse incentives.

Water bottles have been declared weapons by my local police, so this checks out.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Bobstar posted:

I haven't really been following the updated Highway Code in the UK, but the car-brained reactions are predictable, whether or not the changes are actually significant.

It's a shame that the uk has some of the world's worst car-brain, because otherwise england seems like an excellent place to bike. If you set off from London there are tons of insanely picturesque towns and villages within 50 miles. Whereas, the US is mostly a network of hell-suburbs with nothing to see, to, or eat, separated by 500 miles of highway

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Feb 2, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Driver strikes elderly woman in crosswalk, killing her. The video shows the driver is unambiguously in the wrong, but, as is often the case for automotive violence, they were allowed to just drive away and have yet to be charged.
https://twitter.com/DaveCoIon/status/1488603065334865923?t=0EE1ByHLAH2xYyDrR94xig&s=19

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

It's a shame that the uk has some of the world's worst car-brain, because otherwise england seems like an excellent place to bike. If you set off from London there are tons of insanely picturesque towns and villages within 50 miles. Whereas, the US is mostly a network of hell-suburbs with nothing to see, to, or eat, separated by 500 miles of highway

driving around local highways really did a number on some German exchange students I helped host a while back. they were disturbed at all of the endless strip malls and car lots and ugly roads. Nevermind the ugly, ugly suburb houses, especially those constructed post 1980s.
all of the photos and culture that the US exports avoids the vast ugly sameness nowheresville that’s been constructed around car dependence and tract housing development. I hate cars

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Cugel the Clever posted:

Driver strikes elderly woman in crosswalk, killing her. The video shows the driver is unambiguously in the wrong, but, as is often the case for automotive violence, they were allowed to just drive away and have yet to be charged.
https://twitter.com/DaveCoIon/status/1488603065334865923?t=0EE1ByHLAH2xYyDrR94xig&s=19

a fatal coming into contact with an SUV unfolded

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

bi crimes posted:

driving around local highways really did a number on some German exchange students I helped host a while back. they were disturbed at all of the endless strip malls and car lots and ugly roads. Nevermind the ugly, ugly suburb houses, especially those constructed post 1980s.
all of the photos and culture that the US exports avoids the vast ugly sameness nowheresville that’s been constructed around car dependence and tract housing development. I hate cars

are you implying that this isn't what the cultural center of a town should look like

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Cugel the Clever posted:

wow, are you implying there should be consequences for killing someone while engaging in an illegal traffic maneuver? sounds like you hate poor people

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If I ever need to murder someone I am going to do it in broad daylight at an intersection with my car then immediately turn myself in and act sad about it. I expect to be home in time for dinner.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

We clearly need to separate the numbers of people who simply died WITH being hit by a car from those who actually died FROM being hit with the car.

Edit: Also it looks like the pedestrian didn't have a helmet or a bell so it's clearly her fault

mystes has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Feb 2, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

withak posted:

If I ever need to murder someone I am going to do it in broad daylight at an intersection with my car then immediately turn myself in and act sad about it. I expect to be home in time for dinner.

This would absolutely work.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Polo-Rican posted:

are you implying that this isn't what the cultural center of a town should look like

just a literal crime to the human spirit

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol i saw a couple "older" (like mid-2000s i think) trucks in the parking lot at the grocery store today. really striking how even those big boys are so much smaller and less aggressive looking than the fuckin raptors and f150 platinums and rams and poo poo. terrible. gotta outlaw it!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
someone posted a video of themselves cycling to the grocery store in germany in the fuckcars subreddit and it immediately drew out all the most carbrained defenses of living in a lovely suburban sprawl. i particularly like all the people who are like "who goes to the store every day" or "what if i need to buy three couches and a dozen watermelons"

people are broken

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

someone posted a video of themselves cycling to the grocery store in germany in the fuckcars subreddit and it immediately drew out all the most carbrained defenses of living in a lovely suburban sprawl. i particularly like all the people who are like "who goes to the store every day" or "what if i need to buy three couches and a dozen watermelons"

people are broken

You know what you do when you need to haul something like a couch or a lot of construction materials or something really big from a store?

You have it delivered.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Or just rent a truck for a day

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on the one hand the shooter was not justified in shooting a person for throwing a water bottle. on the other hand he was shooting a car so it's impossible to say if what he did is good or bad

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah it's very funny that people spend tens of thousands of dollars buying vehicles with functions they don't need or hardly ever need (like towing or massive cargo space) when it would be far cheaper to just have a small car as your daily driver and just rent a truck when you need it.

well of course it would be best if they didnt need to own a car at all but as it stands people get way more vehicle than they need. people have tried to talk me into getting a big van or suv because i have a kid now, like... the car seat fits just fine in my car thanks.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The arms race is only going to escalate. Soon everyone will be packing some sort of anti-car or car-to-car firearm.

Fitzy Fitz has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Feb 2, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Americans are the modern Eurasian steppe peoples, unrivaled in our mastery of both the personal automobile and firearm. A warrior people, free, untamed, and unconquerable.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

people are broken
The problem is that in the US we've gotten ourselves stuck so far in an incredibly bad local maximum where everything is completely oriented around cars that it's impossible for people to even imagine the alternative, and whenever there's a problem the solution is always to buy bigger cars and try to make thing even more completely oriented around cars.

People can't even understand that it would be nicer to be able to walk across the street to pick up one or two items whenever they need them rather than having to drive 30 minutes each way to the supermarket.

We can't make things better for walking/biking because everyone drives, so driving is the only serious mode of transportation, because we've made everything suck for walking/biking.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The other funny thing is the most practical vehicle you can have with a family, the mini-van, is looked down at as effete and unmanly, when the cargo space is usually same as or greater than a big truck, it's protected from the elements, and the lift height is lower so you can actually get things in and out of the cargo area.

Mini-van > Bro-dozer.

But definitely bicycle if you can swing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

one of the funniest example of car brain is someone on reddit posting in some history-related subreddit: where did the romans park all their chariots and carts? just inconceivable that people might walk lol