Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Aardvark
Dec 28, 2008

Mameluke posted:

lmao they're greasers how do they not belong in star wars?? some people

They are English 60s Mods, not greasers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Robot Style posted:

Ironically, Peyton Reed directed both Ant Man and that episode, and they specifically used the same technology because he had familiarity with the process.

In the behind-the-scenes stuff for the episode, they basically attributed the difficulty with Hamill's de-aging specifically to just how different his face is across the series. Obviously he looks different before and after his car accident, but even within the same movie, he's got the kind of face that reacts much differently to different types of lighting, which makes him look different from scene to scene.

It's cool that they're trying to use ROTJ-triumphant Luke for stuff but they really should just re-cast and call it a day. I'll take a ton of new stories of young Jedi Master Luke prior to the ST with a recast than a few limited ones that they need to use the de-aging stuff with.

Just pull the trigger, most people will just like new stories, and not care about recasting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just have regular old rear end Hamil and we will use the powers of our imaginations to make him young.

Gotta say, felt a tingle of frisson when Luke's theme played as they looked out over the landscape.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This is all insane fanservice bullshit, but gently caress, Filoni made it work. Still was a Mandalorian episode rather than Boba though. Also Jennifer Beal randomly exploding was pretty weird and lame but otherwise poo poo was fun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the difference between fanservice and "showing the audience things they want to see"?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought that The deep fake Luke Skywalker looked really good. Way better than last season

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I refuse to believe she felt that wasn't suspicious at all. As soon as they walked in I knew what was going to happen.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I can't stop thinking the Mayor's dweeb secretary is Tom Kenny.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

zoux posted:

What's the difference between fanservice and "showing the audience things they want to see"?

The direct callbacks to the Yoda training sequence, Ahsoka just kinda appearing to hang out, Grogu Loves Eating Frogs are all examples of fanservice bullshit, but, they were still fun. Cad Bane doing a loving quickdraw duel is just a "things the audience wants to see" because it's loving cool and it properly uses a character. The previous examples only tried to tick the first box.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm tossing my prediction hat on and saying that Grogu was saved at the Coruscant Jedi Temple by Anakin Skywalker, and we'll see a Hayden Christensen surprise cameo showing that as Grogu shares his memories with Luke as they say goodbye to each other when he obviously chooses Mando.

Given how Anakin ultimately made a face turn, with a good guy force ghost and everything, I think there's room to add that wrinkle of him not being down to kill a literal baby in a basket (especially when he knows he has a baby on the way with Padme) and getting the kid to safety somehow, while also being corrupted enough to kill a bunch of kids because they aren't literal babies in baskets.

A Thrawn movie of course sounds like a good time, and honestly as a big Legends fan I'd get an absolute thrill out of things if they basically put the Heir to the Empire trilogy on film while recasting Han, Luke and Leia. Tweak some stuff here and there, bring in Mara Jade because why not, and just go off to the races. That's definitely not what we're getting at any point, but then again they seem to keep making safe choices post RoS so I think a Thrawn movie with shades of Heir trilogy plot elements is a possibility.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The second that Bad Batch had a team of cloners set up camp at Mt Tantiss, I don't know how you don't end up with Heir to the Empire with a few tweaks.

Insane ramblings of a crazy person follow:
The original pitch for the Thrawn trilogy had a clone of Obi-Wan instead of the Jorus C'boath. My idiot hunch is that the role of Jorus will be played by none other than Anakin Skywalker, with the climax being Mara Jade having to realize that the Emperor's last command of "kill Skywalker" not being Luke.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

zoux posted:

fan service is like "doing/showing/saying things that you know the audience loves/thinks they want but without service to the story" - so characters saying their iconic catchphrases in an overdone manner, cool fighter characters getting unnecessary fights or opportunities to pose/do their moves, & the obvious iconic origin of "fan service" being showing off the sexy bits of the female characters when it has no bearing whatsoever on the story.

I think the best usage of fan service type things is to make sure its grounded emotionally in the plot / story. Like with fights: some anime just throws in a fight with a fan favorite but theres no emotional stakes. You could do the same thing but tie it in closer with whatever the plot is or use it to further some arc of the character and it would be "showing the audience things they want to see" in a way that services the story.

I happen to think this episode manages to do that pretty decently, so even though there are a lot of callbacks and what you'd consider fan service, it mostly falls in the "showing things the audience wants to see" category instead.

Knowing your audience desperately wants to see something and deciding to show it you run the risk of falling into a fan service trap.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sash! posted:

The second that Bad Batch had a team of cloners set up camp at Mt Tantiss, I don't know how you don't end up with Heir to the Empire with a few tweaks.

The original pitch for the Thrawn trilogy had a clone of Obi-Wan instead of the Jorus C'boath. My idiot hunch is that the role of Jorus will be played by none other than Anakin Skywalker, with the climax being Mara Jade having to realize that the Emperor's last command of "kill Skywalker" not being Luke.
If we're getting clone wars part 2 and the Luke clone is Luuke then is the Obiwan clone Obiiwan or Obiwaan?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The United States posted:

If we're getting clone wars part 2 and the Luke clone is Luuke then is the Obiwan clone Obiiwan or Obiwaan?

I think the second one!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mameluke posted:

lmao they're greasers how do they not belong in star wars?? some people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkrRR2jcUUg&t=54s

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sash! posted:

That remix is something I can absolutely get behind! And the Emperor certainly had ample access to Anakin's DNA. "Kill Skywalker" meaning Vader also lines up well with it being a last-minute force message the Emperor pushed out there after Anakin just went and tossed him to his doom. Then again, I feel like the Emperor knew he lightning'd him up but good, so that might make things tricky.

I think I remember hearing that Mt. Tantiss was being a thing over on Bad Batch, but I haven't caught that show in particular. I won't believe we're getting a proper Heir-like story until we've got cloak tech, force-blocking creatures, and Mara Jade introduced in some shape or form though. Since you can pop in Jade into proper Disney Canon without necessarily involving Luke (though obviously there's a lot of backstory between those two characters), I think the biggest thing preventing a proper Heir story is the canon they've established in the books post-Disney purchase, with the Empire doing its "bickering warlords/moffs" thing for awhile until finally being dealt a final defeat. They haven't really said "Yeah the Empire was fractured and not united, except for that one time they really got their poo poo together and came super close to beating the New Republic." I guess there's still room to do Heir-lite, with the right group of heroes nipping things in the bud before it gets too out of hand, and maybe the Ahsoka show will start heading down that path a bit.

Hell while we're remixing things, Mara Jade as the force-using heavy on Thrawn's side instead of Joruus, maybe with a side of Ezra as her apprentice after Thrawn talk no jutsu'd him into working with him, would be a hell of a thing.

At this point the more I think about it, with so much of the legends stuff working its way into the new stuff in some way or form, I just can't picture them never bringing Jade in at some point. I feel like they're waiting for the right idea or the right moment for that to have the biggest impact possible.

Anyway, that's the end of my compulsive need to spout out about Legends stuff because someone brought up a Thrawn movie out of the way. I'll try to get back to talking up how good Luke's face looks and such for awhile.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Gonna make that really old 'Obi-Wan was actually a clone named OB-1' fan theory canon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo this episode was, when Fennec was doing the briefing for the crew, there was a brief shot of Boba Fett, the bounty hunter guy from EPs 5-6.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

zoux posted:

Another blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo this episode was, when Fennec was doing the briefing for the crew, there was a brief shot of Boba Fett, the bounty hunter guy from EPs 5-6.

The fact that he doesn't speak and is just in the background is really intriguing and I hope we learn more about such a mysterious character, there's no way they could gently caress that up.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Every time Luke was on screen I kept getting thrown off by how much he looked like Tobey Maguire from Spider-Man 3

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Would be pretty funny to have a running Legend of the Last Laster Master Luke where this dude shows up to Tatooine every few years to just massacre a bunch of people with his laser sword and peace out, leaving a large power vacuum.

Would fit well with the sand people's only cultural knowledge of dudes with laser swords being "they will massacre hundreds of you and then leave when they get tired of murdering"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfevBIsVG1o

See the best part of that scene to me is Natalie Portman looking like "Oh, Anni! Wanton genocide makes me soooo hot for you!"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Boba Fett’s show was originally supposed to be 4 episodes. They padded it out with two Mando episodes and more Baby Yoda cause ratings/subscriptions. But that’s why he’s really only in 4-5 episodes or so.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

zoux posted:

Well yeah, they already had him in to do the Clone Trooper stuff in the flashback, but still cool they'd let him play a smaller role too.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

All this HttE talk makes me wonder who will play Karrde

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/LeCinephiles/status/1488839956428509186

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Book of Boba Fett sounds better than A Few Chapter of Boba Fett

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

G-III posted:

Motherfucker...

In this instance, you don't choose the sword to walk the path of Meifumado.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Book of Boba Fett sounds better than A Few Chapter of Boba Fett

The Short Story of Boba Fett

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Davros1 posted:

The Short Story of Boba Fett

Novella of Boba Fett

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Novella of Boba Fett

21 Short Stories About Star Wars Characters, featuring Boba Fett

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

All this HttE talk makes me wonder who will play Karrde

Anyone who can grow a goatee

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

G-III posted:

Motherfucker...

This is what I thought too! It wasn't your standard choose one of the other type of scenes, it was simply to get Grogu to get off the shitter and figure out what he wants.

Considering how wild these surprises have been I bet next episode... We get another Grogu flashback and there's Anakin Skywalker in some fashion. Either coming after him, or revealing that Skywalker didn't kill the younglings and saves them all somehow.

edit: Okay I'm wrong about my guess, I totally forgot Obiwan saw a video of it, I just remember it happened off-camera for us.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 3, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anakin saving grogu doesn’t make up for those other toddlers he completely annihilated

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
anakin sparing him would be lame and dumb

sorry Sors Bandeam you're just too far past the trimester line

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I feel so bad for Boba Fett, he's getting outshined in his own show

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sash! posted:

Anyone who can grow a goatee

It’s just RDJ playing Stark playing Karrde

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Maybe a clone saved Grogu and when he sees Boba he's going to the freak the gently caress out.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

Maybe a clone saved Grogu and when he sees Boba he's going to the freak the gently caress out.
I was kind of worried that the Bad Batch would have to tie into it when there show was starting up, as we'd just gone through a season of Filoni cameos in Mando.

Maybe since they've got Ewan on call, Grogu kills all the clones and hides in a crawlspace, then Obi-Wan and Yoda find him offscreen in Episode 3 when they return to the temple.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I feel so bad for Boba Fett, he's getting outshined in his own show

https://twitter.com/JhonenV/status/1488844637733150726

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We are getting that Obi-Wan series so it’s not impossible