Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Correct that is what I'm referring to.

I am just looking at an install guide for some app to do SSO/LDAP integration and it has a pre-requisite saying to install it.. which I don't think is nescessary because you just do a ldap over SSL bind to regular AD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Yes, with a slight caveat. A 97% of enterprise apps will work perfectly fine with Active directory LDAPS binds. It is a true and proper implementation of LDAP. You'll probably have to punch in distinguished named objects by hand. (you'll find those in the attribute tab in ADUC)

The last 3% are enterprise applications that are absolutely awful and dreadful that may only work with a clean sheet LDS instance (For the aforementioned schema and object writing). Thankfully you indicated that it's an SSO implementation so it's probably ok. Just be aware of the domain controller you bind to and a "general best practice" is make sure they're a global catalog DC.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My account is in "Protected Users" which does some stuff like disable NTLM auth. Out VMware admins are switching from "AD" auth to accessing AD via LDAPS, and nobody in Protected Users is able to login.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Pardon the noob question, but I recently took a job in IT for a 60 employee non-profit who has has no internal IT before me.

We use Azure AD and it seems like most users have their machines attached to their AD profile but are not local admins.

There have been a few times since I started where admin rights were required to complete a task. However, I have not found a way do to this virtually. (Whether using Quick Assist or Teams, the prompt for Admin crews doesn't show).

What is the recommended way that Microsoft expects remote IT Admins to support users with installs and other things that require admin privileges?

I've seen some articles that say you should change some registry keys to show the prompt on screen but that doesn't seem safe, nor does giving out my actual Admin credentials to end users.

So what am I missing? Feels like something simple.... Thanks!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's a small business thread here that will probably be helpful to use in the future - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723832&pagenumber=80&perpage=40

You're not missing something. It's really dumb there's nothing built in for this. What you'll want to do is get something like TeamViewer that can escalate and see the UAC prompt for credentials as well as control apps launched with admin.

Here's a document that covers the topic a bit.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/remote-actions/remote-assist-mobile-devices

Looks like Remote Help is in preview and may fit the bill.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 15, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anyone here with a large AD environment have issues with AAD Connect processing a ton of changes. I'm chasing things down in our environment, but our performance is abysmal. It's a large AD environment and it's not uncommon for ID Management or some other group to modify a ton of users and we end up with 30K user updates which kills our sync server... Like half a day to process everything or longer.

I'm pretty sure it's an issue with virtual environment/sql and I'm chasing that stuff down, but if anyone else is like "Yeah we process 20K updates in like 45 minutes" that would be helpful.

We've been engaging MSFT support as well, and they've offered a couple suggestions, but this has been plaguing us for a while now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Where does Intune come up with some of their values?

"Number of sign-in failures before wiping device"

Can't be any higher than 11

wtf

why 11

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Finally did something smart and just built out the features of a program that is already there. Teamviewer doesn't appear to be in stock anymore at tech soup, which is sad because it integrates with Intune well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Remote Help will be one of those things that I just license (almost) regardless of cost, unlike Universal Print which I hate.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
When rebooting a Server 16 instance on VShpere, the OS comes up just fine. But when you try to login, once you put your credentials in and hit enter the mouse changes the loading icon and the entire system freezes. Eventually the password field on the logon screen clears itself but the the whole thing remains frozen. The application this server hosts (McAfee EPO/SQL) does not start either. Does anyone know a way to troubleshoot this without being able to logon? I am going to see if I can connect with WMIC next week. This machine had the same problem a month ago but it was eventually able to logon after like 4 attempts, now no dice.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Woof Blitzer posted:

When rebooting a Server 16 instance on VShpere, the OS comes up just fine. But when you try to login, once you put your credentials in and hit enter the mouse changes the loading icon and the entire system freezes. Eventually the password field on the logon screen clears itself but the the whole thing remains frozen. The application this server hosts (McAfee EPO/SQL) does not start either. Does anyone know a way to troubleshoot this without being able to logon? I am going to see if I can connect with WMIC next week. This machine had the same problem a month ago but it was eventually able to logon after like 4 attempts, now no dice.

Boot it in safe mode and take a look at the Application and System logs.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

Thanks Ants posted:

Remote Help will be one of those things that I just license (almost) regardless of cost, unlike Universal Print which I hate.

Can I ask what you hate about Universal Print? We're considering adopting it, and I'd like some feedback from those that have actually used it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It worked fine in our limited testing, but we took one look at how it was licensed and just dismissed it outright.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Thanks Ants posted:

It worked fine in our limited testing, but we took one look at how it was licensed and just dismissed it outright.

Yeah, Universal Print sounded neat to me until I got to the pay-per-job part.

In other news, I just learned about this fun example of two-digit years causing problems in a way I hadn't considered.

Exchange Server posted:

Log Name: Application
Source: FIPFS
Logged: 1/1/2022 1:03:42 AM
Event ID: 5300
Level: Error
Computer: server1.contoso.com
Description: The FIP-FS "Microsoft" Scan Engine failed to load. PID: 23092, Error Code: 0x80004005. Error Description: Can't convert "2201010001" to long.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

There's a small business thread here that will probably be helpful to use in the future - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723832&pagenumber=80&perpage=40

You're not missing something. It's really dumb there's nothing built in for this. What you'll want to do is get something like TeamViewer that can escalate and see the UAC prompt for credentials as well as control apps launched with admin.

Here's a document that covers the topic a bit.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/remote-actions/remote-assist-mobile-devices

Thanks for this and sorry for the delay, but Remote Help worked perfectly. I even have it packaged in Autopilot to install automatically!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hell yeah! Glad to hear it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody have any experience trying to mix a Hyper-V VM with Cisco AnyConnect? I see older stuff online that AnyConnect doesn't support connection sharing and I wonder if that's still true. If it is, do we have any recourse for trying to get a VM to go through the VPN tunnel that AnyConnect creates?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody have any experience trying to mix a Hyper-V VM with Cisco AnyConnect? I see older stuff online that AnyConnect doesn't support connection sharing and I wonder if that's still true. If it is, do we have any recourse for trying to get a VM to go through the VPN tunnel that AnyConnect creates?

wait, you're running AnyConnect on a HV host and you want a VM to use the tunnel?

honestly just use an Azure VM for slacking off at work

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The anyconnect adapter is a giant pain in the rear end but if you look up instructions on how to get wsl2 to work with anyconnect, you should be able to use the same process.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Potato Salad posted:

wait, you're running AnyConnect on a HV host and you want a VM to use the tunnel?

honestly just use an Azure VM for slacking off at work

Generally, I want to be able to use a graphical Linux desktop without a lot of latency but I can't blow up my issued laptop with it. Doing remote sessions has just enough trouble that it's not worth it. So I wanted to try a VM. I would do a lot of I/O so I don't want to use VirtualBox.

I have found out some stuff that makes me think it would be possible to just stage a workstation at home dedicated to Linux and getting VPN on it, but it's tribal knowledge officially unsupported by our IT.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Generally, I want to be able to use a graphical Linux desktop without a lot of latency but I can't blow up my issued laptop with it. Doing remote sessions has just enough trouble that it's not worth it. So I wanted to try a VM. I would do a lot of I/O so I don't want to use VirtualBox.

I have found out some stuff that makes me think it would be possible to just stage a workstation at home dedicated to Linux and getting VPN on it, but it's tribal knowledge officially unsupported by our IT.

Depending on the exact experience you're looking for, maybe GUI apps via WSL2 can get the job done?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Toast Museum posted:

Depending on the exact experience you're looking for, maybe GUI apps via WSL2 can get the job done?

I have to do chroot a lot and WSL2 still couldn't do that when I tried in around November or so. I also tried to get KDE to work on it at that point and it just wasn't having it. I have a WSL instance that's running XFCE right now. I use it mostly as an X server for remoting into other stuff, but I'm trying to cut down on those remote connections. Later in the afternoon, VPN can get spotty and I keep losing those connections.

I'm generally just frustrated with the options I have at work since my job involves Linux kernel development right now and I have to do all of that work through a hole in a sheet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

motherfuckers need to give you a linux laptop, goddamn

what a waste of productivity

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How do you schedule reboots these days? It appears you can't use a GPO to do a schedule task of shutdown.exe any more?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

call PowerShell.exe Restart-Computer

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I stopped using scheduled tasks to manage my servers years ago. There are a bunch of better ways to centrally automate task running.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

I stopped using scheduled tasks to manage my servers years ago. There are a bunch of better ways to centrally automate task running.

Open to suggestions. These are end-user machines not servers. Can't really get a clear answer if a GPO can install a scheduled task to a machine anymore. It shows applied to the computers but never shows up in Task Scheduler and never restarts the machine.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For desktops, PDQ or some sort of RMM tool.

ManageEngine comes to mind, but I’m sure there are others

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

For desktops, PDQ or some sort of RMM tool.

ManageEngine comes to mind, but I’m sure there are others

:argh: we haven't gotten one yet. at some point we have to migrate away from the one the msp is using

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's the thing that requires these restarts?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

What's the thing that requires these restarts?

People leaving computers on for months at a time.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Force restarts in your update policy

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

Force restarts in your update policy

That's what I've been looking into, trying to time them right.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, use the update window to force a restart.

You should be able to enforce a timeframe and a maximum deferment.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Active hours and restart delay.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Since when can't you deploy scheduled tasks with GPO? But even if not, you can create them with PowerShell without going to a third party tool (Register-ScheduledTask).

Above posters are right that it's not the best approach for rebooting systems that aren't always online though, reboot preferences around updates work better there.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ime, setting scheduled tasks with gpo is clunky at best, and disastrous at worst.

Use gpo for policy, use a task runner to run tasks.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

PDQ just bought smartdeploy, which is an imaging and agent based software control tool, so PDQ might finally be getting an agent and able to manage remote devices. I assume at minimum a year out since they have to integrate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here's some guidance on Windows Update policies:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/why-you-shouldn-t-set-these-25-windows-policies/ba-p/3066178

As people have said, if users aren't rebooting for updates then enforce the reboot in the update policy, don't try and schedule regular restarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I try to force reboots during the times the end user is busiest. Usually during Webex meetings are a pro move.