Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
DR has an underpowered echo effect and doom mechanics slapped onto every other attack, including at least one tankbuster. The former are two shotters (twice come ruin), the latter needs esuna so if you don't coordinate with a healer (or don't have one) then DR is a damned mess even before we talk enrage mechs. CLL and Dal are sane by comparison, and both can be done with a light party or less because the echo effect is actually scaled to usefuleness and the lack of doom makes defensive essences actually useful.

edit: I was the dude griping about DR a week ago. 5-10 undersized runs and wipes before I got a 6man clear. It is def the mechanical low point of STQ because it makes so much of your poo poo useless. I spent less time on Zadnor questing than trying to get past the DR speedbump. One further gripe is the weird frag setup in Zad - enjoy your 999 lost bubbles, lack of meaningful essences if you grind optimally

double edit: I timed myself and I'm pretty sure that z3 fate/ce grinding is not only the quickest 71-80, but 80-90 as well. The only thing with more xp/hour is frontline, but that's only 1x per day

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Grimoire posted:

One further gripe is the weird frag setup in Zad - enjoy your 999 lost bubbles, lack of meaningful essences if you grind optimally

This is a consequence of players minmaxing Zadnor harder than the devs expected by just running directly from skirmish to skirmish and completely ignoring anything else, aside from bots that trigger CEs getting killed occasionally. Most of the fragments are on critters that are otherwise worth no XP/mettle and don't make CEs show up.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Thundarr posted:

This is a consequence of players minmaxing Zadnor harder than the devs expected by just running directly from skirmish to skirmish and completely ignoring anything else, aside from bots that trigger CEs getting killed occasionally. Most of the fragments are on critters that are otherwise worth no XP/mettle and don't make CEs show up.

Then the devs are dumb as hell because they did the same thing in sofro.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I mean, I'm sympathetic to the idea that MMO devs generally don't want to design for the sake of players whose goal is to exit the content as quickly as is mathematically possible. But at the same time, these are MMO players, so...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Then the devs are dumb as hell because they did the same thing in sofro.

Thundarr posted:

It all comes back to the old Sid Meier chestnut:

quote:

"given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game,” and that, therefore, “one of the responsibilities of designers is to protect the player from themselves.”

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Madmarker posted:

It all comes back to the old Sid Meier chestnut:

No, I am not letting the devs off the hook for this because what the players are doing is the fun thing to do imo. They put a lot of work into making the skirmishes and ce's fun and they are. But for some blockheaded reason they refuse to put the good fragment drops on the content that people actually want to do and instead sprinkle them around on an assortment of monsters you have no reason to kill except to get these fragments. But grinding trash for drops fuckin sucks so they should stop doing that.

They also hosed up by not making the skirmish/ce experience and mettle gains equal in all 3 sections of each zone which is such a no brainer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh yeah the players are really cheating themselves out of an amazing expense by [checks notes] -- not killing world mobs for hours and only doing cool boss fights instead

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I hope they never add fragments to skirmishes cause that's how I keep making money

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

buy my awakening fragments on the hyperion server in the primal in the north american region

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Most of the skirmishes are the exact same thing as grinding world mobs. The engagements are rad, but unless it's a boss skirmish, there's no difference between killing them or killing a group of magitek troops for drops.

Unless it's a pick poo poo off the floor skirmish. Those are loving garbage.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
The difference in fun (and honestly, comfort) between SCH pre-45 and post-45 is so dramatic it just makes me even more annoyed that you lose Aetherflow when you swap to SCH for those 15 levels.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I really hope whatever succeeds Bozja gives the axe to 1) consumable hell world and 2) death penalties

The former maybe can be done through a compromise system; once you unlock a lost action, it just costs you currency/juice to use. Better stuff takes more juice to use, and maybe you have a few different types of juice to balance things out and encourage the usage of different things. Reward juice in a way that gives players enough to play with, but will drive players to particular activities. Maybe the juice has a cap to discourage hoarding.

The latter is pointless and annoying. in Eureka it just meant sitting on your hands until someone could come get you, with the chance to get hosed if no-one is around or you die close to your timer expiring. In Bozja it was mostly just annoying and made learning new encounters feel bad. Also, the release penalty basically makes no sense when it's already an inconvenience since you'd either release because you want to leave (in which case you are wasting players times by making them wait for a rez) or you want to go back into the field, in which case the travel time is the penalty.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Arist posted:

Pretty sure I saw people saying a party of three cleared it the other day, but they probably had good Lost Actions at least.

ImpAtom posted:

8 seems to be a safe bet with Las.

Zack Ater posted:

"normally" would be like 24-48 people. I think at 16 is where echo kicks in, so depending on what you mean by normally I guess that might be the minimum? I've trio'd both CLL and Dal, including soloing one side of split party bosses, as both MCH and RDM with beast essence. Taking some lost cures would make up for the lack of an essence, but it'll be much rougher if you don't already know mechanics. Low player echo gets ridiculous though.

Ok. I was just curious since I tried it the other day with a random group of 14 and couldn't do it.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

the exploration zones exist for people that like the grind as much as for people that just want the relic weapons or whatever

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The worst part of Bozja to me is that I just absolutely 100% do not give a poo poo about the storyline, or any storyline involving Garlemald, honestly. With the exceptions of Zenos and Tsuyu/Asahi, they've routinely been the most boring antagonists in the game and I am just so loving tired of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We've come a long way from the days of "Man the Ascians suck and the game would be better if it was just Garlemald"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The devs included a grind that takes 600,000,000 mettle (30 turn-ins at near the cap) to finish, I don't think they can claim to be surprised players are focusing on the stuff that gives mettle.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

when will my husband lyon bozja come home from the war

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I legit don't get why people like Lyon, maybe I tuned out parts of the StQ plot too much, but he seemed like a "you should know better then being a bad guy" kind of character, and had the irritating quality of being a villain who cheats death multiple times. Like just big vibes of WoW villains going "enough!" and running away at 1hp.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
1) it's funny when bosses do that when it's only one boss, especially when he's not actually like putting you into a stun and smirking he just straight up says "whoof, that's a lot, better fall back"
2) people like brassy characters who like to fight and think your character is good at fighting and want to fight your character

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

1) it's funny when bosses do that when it's only one boss, especially when he's not actually like putting you into a stun and smirking he just straight up says "whoof, that's a lot, better fall back"
2) people like brassy characters who like to fight and think your character is good at fighting and want to fight your character
1) I mean, having a whole drawn out boss fight where you beat them only for it to be like "oh sorry, im still going to be a thorn in your side lol" doesn't seem much different then the stun and run away, because it's just a "cutscene and run away." I suppose it's more forgivable because XIV does not make a habit of doing this, but I was just kind of sick of the guy by the end of CLL, and so for him to re-appear in Dalrida and pull some "power of friendship with my fascist bro" was like "gently caress off dude."

2) But people loving hate Zenos.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Dude likes to fight, has sweet muscles, and is the type of character that could have been a brash ally if only for circumstances. Has enough pomp and flare to be interesting, and doesn't have a tragic backstory or anything. Just a fun, minor character.

Oxyclean posted:

Nobody cool does.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like Pagaga

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Dude likes to fight, has sweet muscles, and is the type of character that could have been a brash ally if only for circumstances. Has enough pomp and flare to be interesting, and doesn't have a tragic backstory or anything. Just a fun, minor character.

and god willing the beastmaster trainer whenever we get that class

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i like lyon because i got into his duel in southern front and he kicked my rear end

then i got into his duel in zadnor when i was better at duels and he had a very in-character one-reraise debuff for the player

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxyclean posted:

those people are not welcome here

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also, the fight against him in CLL where a select group needs to go kick his rear end absolutely owns and feels like a real hero moment - and not a story one, but one you, the player, did by playing well and everyone got to see you do it. that's really memorable

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Bolded part is why I guess that's why I find him kind of frustrating. It feels like he should know better, which makes me kind of find him more loathsome?

I suppose this is one of those things that irked me and it surprises me that I've never seen other people with similar sentiments / popular sentiment seems to prevail the opposite way.

Grimoire posted:

and god willing the beastmaster trainer whenever we get that class
sure why not make Gaius one of our G-Warrior Job trainers while we're at it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ibram Gaunt posted:

DR is not 'needlessly complicated' by any stretch of imagination. You also only need 8 people if the queue is still dead, which is not hard to organize really. You could probably do it with less but a few weeks ago when getting my friend his first clear that's all we needed and it was faster than normal runs with full people due to echo.

It's been a minute but with that I was referring to baldesion arsenal where you need a group inside and outside to complete it and it has fun mechanics like get kicked out of the raid. My whole point has been "Bozja good, Eureka bad".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
People loving love zenos

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

People loving love zenos

If only they’d let us!

Edit: sorry, misread

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oxyclean posted:

An important contrast here is that Lyon likes the fight, but he's in your way because of conflicting goals/loyalties. If there had been a Bozja 3 with Lyon again, he'd be there for a reason other than you.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

please do not gently caress the feral katana manchild

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lyons owns because one of the other characters basically worships the ground he walks on but if you read their datalog it's an interview with Lyons where he's like "Who?"

Beyond that he's basically just if Godbert Manderville was a villain.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i like zenos

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Lyon's real cool. He's smug, charismatic, genuinely cares about his cohorts and the people he orders around, has a flair for the dramatic and is pretty straight forward and he isn't like...a bad guy. While there's a few Absolute Freaks in the 4th legion, for the most part they're just people that think they can build a better Bozja than the old guard and some people that lived through the old bozja agree that they probably could.

He's also got some cool pet birds and seems to really care for them and fights with them, and that's also rad.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Materia melding question: if a piece of gear starts at 167/238 Crit and is Advanced Melding Forbidden, is it worth dropping two X materias in there even though one point will be wasted?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Missing one point of crit is probably worth more than the additional extra point you would have gotten from any other materia, trivial as either are.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I haven't PUG-ed current EX content in a long time, do people actually use raid finder these days or should I make a PF group if I'm looking to try Zodiark EX?

Kind of wild to realize I haven't done on-content EX or savage since stormblood. Having a job sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

troofs posted:

I haven't PUG-ed current EX content in a long time, do people actually use raid finder these days or should I make a PF group if I'm looking to try Zodiark EX?

Kind of wild to realize I haven't done on-content EX or savage since stormblood. Having a job sucks.

PF is the way to go.