Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The game is outstanding as it is. The devs are working at their own pace to make it even better. Would I personally like if that pace was faster? Of course I would. Do I resent the devs for not working faster? gently caress no, they don't owe me poo poo.

How quickly and hard the game "should be" worked on is their business, and their business alone, to dictate. They're making this game because they want to, how they want to. And I sure as hell hope they'll keep working in a way that keeps them happy with their game, instead of churning out content just to sate the ~*cOnSuMeRs*~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

causticBeet posted:

mosquitos are so brutal early when you accidentally wander into the plains but it’s one of those things that makes you feel like a badass when you come back after progressing further and absolutely dominate them

I haven’t visited the plains yet (barely got to swamps) but this is how I feel about trolls. I am so glad I made myself learn how to melee them in the bronze age. I gained a real sense of accomplishment and actually look forward to fighting them now.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i got way more value out of my $20 than on so many other games, im glad they are happy and having fun. I'll be here when big updates happen.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I am mad that the game is nothing like the initial die, die again- trailers. But Its So much *better* than them. that Its pretty dumb thing to be mad about.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It's ok to be disappointed that the team that earned 100 million+ dollars apparently hasn't used that money to improve the game. They are proceeding at a slower, less engaged pace than teams who have earned less than 1% of that in sales. It's also ok to laugh at the absurdity of the situation and conclude that the devs are just pocketing those tens of millions.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
+1 to being content with the pace they're going. when i hit the link i was like "dang i hope this is just a normal update for them that happens to be on the anniversary and they didn't loving ultra-crunch over the winter holidays or some poo poo" and was happy that was correct

as someone in a field that has miserable work/life boundaries, i'm absolutely tickled to see and support devs that stick to good ones. their "we're gonna gently caress off for like, two months of late summer b/c we're goddamn nords and that's what we do" was perfect

like, y'all've read about all those kickstarters that went absolutely bonkers? which the devs responded to by wildly growing and trying to do way more stuff than they'd planned which destroyed the team and the game never got released or with 75% of even the original features? cause that was a thing. if all they do is go "lmao thanks for giving us money we're gonna do exactly the things we said we were gonna do when y'all chose to give us the cash in the first place" and they pocket everything else then A+++++

gotta deal with hellish ETERNAL LOGARITHMIC GROWTH AT ALL COSTS bullshit in my own life, happy to have that not be a part of others'

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 2, 2022

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
What I'm most curious about is how do you guys know so much about what the devs are and are not doing, both with the code and their earnings?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's ok to be disappointed that the team that earned 100 million+ dollars apparently hasn't used that money to improve the game. They are proceeding at a slower, less engaged pace than teams who have earned less than 1% of that in sales. It's also ok to laugh at the absurdity of the situation and conclude that the devs are just pocketing those tens of millions.

Yeah, this is what gets me. Obviously it's their game and they can do whatever they want with it, but I don't think one can look at their apparent non-chalant attitude and reasonably argue that they haven't missed a tremendous opportunity. They could have struck while the iron was hot, and they didn't.

I'm not saying they should have quickly hired dozens of new staff and turned themselves into a major studio or anything, but like, a new biome every 6-9 months? Pathetic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It seems clear enough they're done with the game as far as meaningfully expanding the gameplay is concerned. Game is still cool and good, I got 100+ hours of fun for my 20 bucks. My heart may long for more but if they want to spend their days swimming in their Scrooge McDuck pool instead of working on a game that they privately consider finished that their heart isn't really in anymore, that's cool. The rage that the game isn't going to be 3D Terraria after all is a little bit weird. This isn't Star Citizen, they delivered a pretty drat good game for 20 bucks.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I am glad the Valheim devs are pacing themselves. Lots of promising games get pushed into unsustainability by a sudden influx of money that makes the developers get overly ambitious. If we end up waiting 3-4 years for lava land to get finished, that's fine by me.

I'm actually kind of glad to hear that the mountains are still being developed, since the most dedicated valheim player I know only just got to the swamps. Maybe that means they'll be mountain ready around the time the new mountain stuff gets finished.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'd like to clarify I don't feel angry or cheated or whatever, I got more than my money's worth out of Valheim and it's a great game as it stands. If they had taken their millions and been like "thanks all we're actually retiring to the Bahamas enjoy!" I'd be happy for them. It's more baffling to me that they seem to want to add tons more content and it's just being done in an obtuse way. There are empty biomes and instead of filling those in they're adding entirely new monsters (abomination) to biomes that were already complete relative to the mistlands and firelands. Again it's not even really a complaint, I farmed abominations so I could get the poison resistance armor and it's all a fun and good addition! It's just an odd focus of their resources and priorities imo.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Its a solid game as it currently stands which is more than could have been said a year on for a game like say No Man's Sky to make a comparison.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

bird food bathtub posted:

Drakes haven't given me much trouble. It's mosquitos making a random-death zone anywhere within a mile of the plains biome when you're still rocking full troll hide armor that has annoyed me. Now I just completely avoid plains biome as soon as I see it on the horizon until I'm geared up for it.

Drakes are not really troublesome, the only issue I have with them is that they're just nuisance and nothing else, we just finished mountains biome and they never really posed threat under normal circumstances

PS: I'm glad devs added hot tubs, viking hot tub is a fun idea. I think adding stuff to existing biomes is also important, because otherwise mountains felt rather incomplete compared to swamps and swamp was missing some troll-like monster (and alternative armor like troll armor) before they added abominations

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 2, 2022

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm not disappointed in the Valheim devs, I'm disappointed in all of the other games in its genre which are all varying levels of dogshit. I want more Valheim to play, and the only thing I have found to scratch that itch has been Terraria.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Firebert posted:

I'm not disappointed in the Valheim devs, I'm disappointed in all of the other games in its genre which are all varying levels of dogshit. I want more Valheim to play, and the only thing I have found to scratch that itch has been Terraria.

I believe ”I wanted more of this and the only comparable game is terraria” is a rather high praise for Any game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Yeah, this is what gets me. Obviously it's their game and they can do whatever they want with it, but I don't think one can look at their apparent non-chalant attitude and reasonably argue that they haven't missed a tremendous opportunity. They could have struck while the iron was hot, and they didn't.

I'm not saying they should have quickly hired dozens of new staff and turned themselves into a major studio or anything, but like, a new biome every 6-9 months? Pathetic.

Good! Tremendous opportunities equal enormous poo poo. Leave it to all the johnny come lately AAA devs trying to pivot to start farting of something that whiffs of Valheim to take opportunity and milk it ruthlessly for the modern gamer who needs constant content updates and now.

When I played Valheim for 100 hours with my buddy and we beat what's there, we both figured we'd come back in a couple years and see what's up then, like sensible people. It's barely been a year and they still haven't hosed the whole thing up somehow which is just great to see.

Proportional to funding and employees Valheim still releases new content at a blazing pace compared the behemoth like Minecraft that takes a couple years to piecemeal out one minorish patch.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Firebert posted:

It's definitely not the same story/setting but I've been loving Subnautica recently.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
They just need to open the game to the workshop with a solid API. Any bitching thereafter won't matter at all.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I think this talk of "strike while the iron is hot" is somewhat misplaced. They didn't generate $100M on a Kickstarter and then faff about wasting the money.

What they did was develop a stable playable game, then released it at a price point appropriate for the level of content. We all got what we paid for on that initial investment.

Fortunately the Devs are now continuing to build on the game with the money they made, and releasing those updates for free. They could've also required people to pay for those updates since its extra content. They also could've taken the money and all bought golden hot tubs full of surstromming and schnapps.

At any rate they made their bank, don't owe anybody anything, and can release updates as fast or as slow as they want.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Let me preface by saying I think my $20 was well spent and I don't feel 'cheated' at all.

The fact that it was released as early access kind of throws the argument of "they released a game and don't owe any updates" out the window. This isn't a Star Citizen type scenario, but it's not crazy for people to want their early access game that was purchased under the promise of updates to get updates.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The game is getting updates.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pik_d posted:

It's definitely not the same story/setting but I've been loving Subnautica recently.

Oh man if you have not played Subnautica before you are in for a hella good time. If I could forget the game and experience it all over again I'd totally do it.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It seems clear enough they're done with the game as far as meaningfully expanding the gameplay is concerned. Game is still cool and good, I got 100+ hours of fun for my 20 bucks. My heart may long for more but if they want to spend their days swimming in their Scrooge McDuck pool instead of working on a game that they privately consider finished that their heart isn't really in anymore, that's cool. The rage that the game isn't going to be 3D Terraria after all is a little bit weird. This isn't Star Citizen, they delivered a pretty drat good game for 20 bucks.

They've never indicated that they think it's finished, though? It definitely seems to me like their heart is in it given how comitted they are to releasing content fully formed. Like yeah they're slow but they are steadily showing their work on a mountain update and indicating where they are with Mistlands. I think that new-biome content is going to be amazing when it releases in ~August.

I also don't understand the 'strike while the iron is hot' argument. They already made an insane number of sales, what else were they supposed to be striking?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

So I read the little update news, and at no point did I get the impression they were going to be "faffing" about and "not working on new content", especially considering they say very clearly they are ramping up work on Mistlands, moving from conceptualizing to building and populating.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I mean it seems like they should have been ramping up on Mistlands like 10 months ago after the initial bug and stability fixes. There's literally a useless placeholder item from the last boss so if you're going to add more content that would seem to be the logical thing to build off of and focus on.

Again everything they've added has been good the development priorities just seem bizarre

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

It sounds like they wanted to have it all worked out, all the Ts crossed and Is dotted before they started putting work down so they didn't have to half-rear end it, and while they concept that they also work on stuff that might be a simpler task to work on?

That's a fairly solid priority?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hakarne posted:

Yeah like I'm all for them taking their time with content so that it's done right. But it kind of feels like they're just faffing about. They have two unfinished, empty biomes just sitting there and instead of focusing on those first they've spent a year making hot tubs and random furniture and doodads for the other biomes. It just feels like they're fixated on putting up beautiful curtains while they're still missing a roof on the house. Finish building the framework then fill it in.

Tbh they could have just ended it at the plains biome to put a cap on the game and it would've felt complete. Then adding random furniture and stuff wouldn't have seemed so odd. The fact that the game feels unfinished is entirely of their own making, but they had no idea it would be so successful so I can understand them putting everything they had out there. I get to critique with the benefit of hindsight.

the game just needs more combat and enemies to fight. it's got an engine that lends itself to technical combat with blocks and rolls and parries and stuff but then the enemies we get are basically cliff racers and giants. i'd like a reduced spawn rate in favor of individual enemies that are just stronger, especially if you get deep into a biome. fulings are the only thing that comes close, most of the other enemies feel like i'm doing pest control

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Shibawanko posted:

the game just needs more combat and enemies to fight. it's got an engine that lends itself to technical combat with blocks and rolls and parries and stuff but then the enemies we get are basically cliff racers and giants. i'd like a reduced spawn rate in favor of individual enemies that are just stronger, especially if you get deep into a biome. fulings are the only thing that comes close, most of the other enemies feel like i'm doing pest control

Gimme “plus” versions of biomes that are literally the same but just bigger numbers and a “special” version of everything. The game world is so beautiful and engaging I just want something, literally anything to do in it. While I really enjoy the base building in this game, it’s not an end game on its own for me - a huge part of what makes it so fun is how functional and impactful on the games progression the bases feel.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, extra enemy variety, more enemy attack animations, more biome variety, more structures on the edge of the map like enemy strongholds (like draugr villages in the plains) more rare and special enemies like the stone golems and wraiths, I don't know what they have planned for biomes after mistlands besides "far north ice" and "far south fire" and "something else in the ocean" but that will need filling in too, would also love water above sea level for waterfalls and lakes.

They also probably need to figure out where they want player power to land, is equipment going to just get progressively better past the plains to the point trolls and wolves hit you for 1 damage or do they want to keep the early enemies like draugr threatening still?

They can take their time, I'd just love to do another playthrough when it's finished.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

pik_d posted:

Yeah I've been meaning to try it for a while, been sitting in my catalogue for like two years, not sure if it will scratch the same building itch but the exploration looks fun

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah, extra enemy variety, more enemy attack animations, more biome variety, more structures on the edge of the map like enemy strongholds (like draugr villages in the plains) more rare and special enemies like the stone golems and wraiths, I don't know what they have planned for biomes after mistlands besides "far north ice" and "far south fire" and "something else in the ocean" but that will need filling in too, would also love water above sea level for waterfalls and lakes.

They also probably need to figure out where they want player power to land, is equipment going to just get progressively better past the plains to the point trolls and wolves hit you for 1 damage or do they want to keep the early enemies like draugr threatening still?

They can take their time, I'd just love to do another playthrough when it's finished.

as it is now, the power curve is way too steep, once you get mountain and plains equipment the swamp is just a joke to the point where the enemies can't even really hurt you, not to mention DF and meadows. the new equipment should give you an organic, technical advantage more than just more hitpoints and damage

i'd like a hammer upgrade that lets me use it anywhere as though an unupgraded workbench is present, and another upgrade that includes an always-present stonecutter

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If me and my buddy made a game that netted up a million dollars and secured us financially until we died, you're goddamn right I would take as long as I wanted to update.

Haven't you fucks gotten $20 of enjoyment yet?
They don't owe you anything more than that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

as it is now, the power curve is way too steep, once you get mountain and plains equipment the swamp is just a joke to the point where the enemies can't even really hurt you, not to mention DF and meadows. the new equipment should give you an organic, technical advantage more than just more hitpoints and damage

i'd like a hammer upgrade that lets me use it anywhere as though an unupgraded workbench is present, and another upgrade that includes an always-present stonecutter

Yeah, I'd agree with that, gear power increases a little too fast past the black forest, iron and silver is a big jump in power but you barely even need to touch it before getting the better dark iron at the end.

Condensing the stats down a bit or increasing spawns of star+ enemies to give you something to use that power on would be a good call.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The most interesting thing to me about Valheim is that it looks and feels so drat good without needing a $1500 graphics card. It's beautiful with the settings turned up (which does not require a beefy machine at all) and still charming and eminently playable on a laptop with the settings turned down. They accomplished some classic Blizzard level magic there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Inzombiac posted:

If me and my buddy made a game that netted up a million dollars and secured us financially until we died, you're goddamn right I would take as long as I wanted to update.

The thing I find amazing about this is that it's made me do something I hadn't ever done before, which is blocking multiple people who have like 300 hours of playtime and are still poo poo on the dev's relentlessly for either ripping them off or giving them false promises. I think at one point they did a cute update about how they sponsored a horse in their village and they just freaked out, like it's some huge waste of dev time.

Dev's aren't people, only machines to feed entertainment to the people, you know. :rolleyes:

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

The most interesting thing to me about Valheim is that it looks and feels so drat good without needing a $1500 graphics card. It's beautiful with the settings turned up (which does not require a beefy machine at all) and still charming and eminently playable on a laptop with the settings turned down. They accomplished some classic Blizzard level magic there.

It's seriously smooth like a triple A game. I've hit the mountain range but my mates all rerolled and are scraping through the black forest now and I've been helping out a little bit without handing them loot (because they refuse; if I had my way they'd hurry up).

Building fortresses, towns and camps (for almost no real reason) has been fantastic. Keen to hit the plains eventually and stop getting one-shot by mosquitoes.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Floppychop posted:

Let me preface by saying I think my $20 was well spent and I don't feel 'cheated' at all.

The fact that it was released as early access kind of throws the argument of "they released a game and don't owe any updates" out the window. This isn't a Star Citizen type scenario, but it's not crazy for people to want their early access game that was purchased under the promise of updates to get updates.

My point is that the $20 price point was to pay for the content that was released at that time. There was no promise of "if X $$$ is made we'll crank up development into turbo mode". It was "here's what we have so far guys, enjoy!" followed by "oh we made lots of money, here's what we're planning to do with it. Also it's going to take along time because thousands of concurrent players is stress testing the poo poo out of our game so we want to prioritize bug fixes to maintain play quality."

They published a roadmap are still releasing updates. Don't really see an issue.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Inzombiac posted:

They're definitely obligated to finish the video game since they released it as early access. If they just dropped it now they'd be shitters who went against their word. That's not what they're doing, and I don't personally have an issue with them, but implying that they could just do whatever at this point and it would be justified is a bit much.

Burns
May 10, 2008

They have a great product. Their endgame should be to sell it to microsoft of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Burns posted:

They have a great product. Their endgame should be to sell it to microsoft of course.
This combo'd with Sea of Thieves.