Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Inkspot posted:

Relistening to The Quiet Year playthrough, I kind of wonder what the current season would be like without Griffin bringing so much to the table to begin with.

There was already a world before the submersion with its own sparse cosmology. There were already four main groups. Everyone started with the working knowledge that the world was going to be submerged.

Was Friends at the Table more or less open-ended? Because, listening again, it seems like The Quiet Year was a way to populate the ocean they knew they were going to play in with weird poo poo, not necessarily a way to organically build to a world subsumed by a weird ocean.

The typical way is that you bring a central concept. You know what your community is supposed to be. We've done, a crashed airship on a magical island, a weird wild west town, and a starship on a long colonization journey. Usually that's about it but I believe FaTT has had more developed prompts as well. I think the more structure/sign on you have in the central idea, the better A Quiet Year usually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Good to know!

I've tried FatT a few times but it just doesn't resonate with me for whatever reason. Hopefully this time is different.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Friends at the Table is eating your vegetables and doing your homework. It's for graduate students who don't have the free time to be sad and gay because they're too busy working on their thesis.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

goblin week posted:

no, april 1st is supposed to be for funny things

e: oh you mean the reporter

Lmao what did you think I meant??

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1488709527121793027

EDIT: Re TAZ, the last episode was more serious than what I like from the show, but I really liked how they handled the "transformation" and I think the heavier vibe the final unified reveal feel more... heroic, I guess. Can't wait to see how they handle that from a playing perspective.

Also, I felt Sydney's hand throughout the entire grotto den discussion, and it was cool to see that sort of self-medication/harm reduction aspect to something that didn't necessarily need to be treated with that much thought from a plot perspective.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 2, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

https://twitter.com/justinmcelroy/status/1488714955184652289?s=21

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

1) lmao that fans immediately harassed the random no-name tweeter into protecting his accounts 2) lmao that Justin is apparently simultaneously easily sent into a tailspin about thinking the podcast is bad and also has a recurring bit of "just reads perfume descriptions aloud and plays commercial audio directly, with no commentary"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Richard Stink is good

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Crowetron posted:

Richard Stink is good

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Valentin posted:

1) lmao that fans immediately harassed the random no-name tweeter into protecting his accounts 2) lmao that Justin is apparently simultaneously easily sent into a tailspin about thinking the podcast is bad and also has a recurring bit of "just reads perfume descriptions aloud and plays commercial audio directly, with no commentary"

I didn't look for the original tweet, and brigading a private citizen is never a good thing, but did they actually @ Justin with their complaints?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Sounds like a another disgruntled fan of Pim-pom's Freshbreath, the primary competitor of Peepums Nastygum.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Richard Stink is good

No he's not

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

kdrudy posted:

No he's not

He's so bad he's good

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i want to hear more about richard stink's walk with christ

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ivypls posted:

Inshallah

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

I didn't look for the original tweet, and brigading a private citizen is never a good thing, but did they actually @ Justin with their complaints?

they did which is extremely weak behavior but doing a "woe is me, i shan't ever feel comfortable in my success" routine in front of >300k followers will pretty much always be lamer

also i actually liked early richard stink, when he first arrived he was a welcome loose and novel counterpoint to munch squad. sadly, like munch squad before him, he too has deteriorated.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Valentin posted:

they did which is extremely weak behavior but doing a "woe is me, i shan't ever feel comfortable in my success" routine in front of >300k followers will pretty much always be lamer

This is some real crab bucket discourse.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you have imposter syndrome, having more followers does nothing to alleviate that; instead it achieves the opposite effect

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

This week’s TAZ was a bit below the bar set by the rest of the season so far, but I still enjoyed it. It really helps that it’s the result of a very chaotic and interesting series of events.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Valentin posted:

jesus

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ivypls posted:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Richard Stink works somehow, most of Justin's incredibly dumb characters somehow do, like Count Donut. The first Count Donut was great because it was basically Griffin demanding that Justin to commit to the bit.

Munch Squad has pretty much been ruined just by the fact that brands have gotten self-aware about their ridiculous promo gimmicks and it's not the same when the brand is in on the joke. And Justin often seems not to be aware that the brand is in on the joke and just plays the ad going "isn't this ridiculous??" which is the exact reaction the ad was created to elicit. Much Squad doesn't work in the age irony-embracing brands. It's only funny if you can believe that the brand didn't know exactly what they were doing.

I was liking the first few episode of Ethersea but I just stopped listening at some point and I don't think I can ever go back to TAZ now after discovering Rude Tales of Magic.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Valentin posted:

This is weird. Don't be weird.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my problem with the heavy latest ep of TAZ is that the drama/trauma is unearned and feels thin.

it's like Gordon Jump suddenly popping up as the friendly bicycle repairman who wants to molest Arnold and Willis. it's just goofy and tedious. but hell, maybe there's someone out there who learned something from that episode, so I'm an ogre for arguing that it sucks. and but maybe the episode dangerously oversimplifies things. etc.

I'm sure there are lots of people leaning on TAZ in these grim times and I'm sure many of them have traumas that mean they can identify with in this. I prefer stakes that arise more organically, even if it's planned.

it's just one episode, I'm sure plenty of other people found it not at all stultifying, and I'm really enjoying this whole arc and have laughed a lot at the funny parts. I'll try to say something commensurately good later.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
All of Justin's bits are good in moderation.

Munch Squad is no longer in moderation.
(It's still good when Count Donut shows up.)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Like I said earlier, what really sold munch squad to me this week was the reveal that the blood donation only earns you glazed donuts. It's a decent PSA to get out there (even if the episode aired on the last applicable day to do it, I think), with the fun add of donut company going cheap on your blood rewards.

My hooting and hollering over that particular reveal may not be everyone's cup of tea, though.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m generally ok with munch squad and I didn’t really even mind this week’s because Count Donut is great but why did it matter to you at all that the promotion was for glazed donuts specifically? Krispy Kreme’s signature dozen is glazed. It makes total sense and there’s nothing funny or interesting about it at all. It would be like if Burger King did the same thing and offered a Whopper meal. :confused:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
IF THEY AIN'T GIVING OUT THE CHOCOLATE DONUTS THEY AIN'T GIVING OUT ANYTHING OF VALUE

(or just plain cake but I've been told that makes me the weirdo for liking those:shrug:)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Harriet Carker posted:

I’m generally ok with munch squad and I didn’t really even mind this week’s because Count Donut is great but why did it matter to you at all that the promotion was for glazed donuts specifically? Krispy Kreme’s signature dozen is glazed. It makes total sense and there’s nothing funny or interesting about it at all. It would be like if Burger King did the same thing and offered a Whopper meal. :confused:

Because they’re the cheapest and plainest ones

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Shinjobi posted:

(or just plain cake but I've been told that makes me the weirdo for liking those:shrug:)

The cashier will look at you funny if you ask for it, but a regular donut without the glaze is also really good.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Because they’re the cheapest and plainest ones

nah dude, a dry frosted donut or an old fashioned are even cheaper/plainer

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The normal glazed is Krispy Kreme's signature, and if the promotion was for any other kind of donut, you'd have a lot more people annoyed they couldn't get the glaze than you'll get anyone annoyed they can't get a fancier one with this promotion.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Death to all cake donut eaters. Hot Glazed > Chocolate > Regular glazed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://twitter.com/Crawley4WV/status/1487665172202332166?t=dcwf-RSg3YepAYbt7rVtEA&s=19

Sydnee is running for office.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Good. I'd probably vote for her.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/marshallmarkesq/status/1487782577645789184?t=RVk83MjerM5sJI_iyrnJrA&s=19

Man, what if this is what radicalizes the Republicans?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jesus christ :psyduck:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh good, I’m sure this won’t have all sorts of insane ramifications with parts of their fan base. Heck, we might see an attack ad of the CBD incident from a bit back.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Warbird posted:

Oh good, I’m sure this won’t have all sorts of insane ramifications with parts of their fan base. Heck, we might see an attack ad of the CBD incident from a bit back.

what was the CBD incident?

is that when she yelled at the dude who was selling grey market CBD oil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

cbd oil isn’t “grey market” lol