Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

The strongest Tazz looked in WWE was his debut, giving Kurt Angle his first loss.

NutShellBill posted:

Tazz ended Kurt Angle's undefeated streak in his debut.

You know, I almost specified, best he looked outside of his debut match vs. Angle, but though nah, nobody cares about a specific detail like that. But yeah, it was all downhill after that first match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

sticklefifer posted:

Is there a story behind how IWCCW got a national TV deal in the 90s? Any wrestling TV outside of WWF/WCW was pretty hard to come by at the time, so I remember being surprised to see another promotion show up on public access late at night.
They were always pretty widely syndicated, but I'm pretty sure that they only had national cable TV (satellite dish owners with access to out of market regional sports networks excluded, of course) circa 1986-1987 when they were on Tempo? I remember an episode or two airing on Sportschannel America in the later years, but I don't believe that it was ever an ongoing thing like it was for Rob Russen's IWA, Herb Abrams' UWF, the LPWA, or Tony Mara's NAWA.

More broadly, if your question is "what the hell was I[WC)CW's deal," then...who knows? Lots of people like mafia jokes about the Savoldis, but I've never heard anything remotely specific. As for why they had SO much stuff from other promotions, though some was clearly of the "tapes sent to promote an incoming wrestler" variety (like the Sheepherders in Southwest), that's just a small part of it. When they first started running TV circa 1983-1984 as International World Wrestling, a lot of the earlier shows consisted entirely of footage from other promotions before they started taping original footage. Why were there so many reruns? Who knows?

My favorite weird Savoldis story that doesn't just involve something on their TV show is how they tried to bluff their way into getting the USWA Challenge syndicated slots by claiming that they were in Kevin Von Erich's name. (They weren't.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zombie Lemur posted:

Another funny story about that match is Kurt Angle going to Mick Foley worried that Taz was going to shoot on him because he completely believed Taz's gimmick and asking what he should do if it happens.

Mick was just like "you're an Olympic gold medalist in actual wrestling..."

"But he knows some strip mall dojo judo!"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

That whole IWCCW/NWF/TWA era of indy wrestling is so fascinating to me. Just whole promotions of WWF job guys/washouts, roided-out lunks, and bridge-burners like Eddie Gilbert. Watching those promoters try to build something out of that scrap heap is, in a way, more interesting than today's indy scene, though way less fun to actually watch on the whole.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Between The Sheets next Patreon show is a dive into the TWA, I'm looking forward to it

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

forkboy84 posted:

Between The Sheets next Patreon show is a dive into the TWA, I'm looking forward to it
It's up already. Free preview clip is at the end of the newest regular episode.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Zombie Lemur posted:

Another funny story about that match is Kurt Angle going to Mick Foley worried that Taz was going to shoot on him because he completely believed Taz's gimmick and asking what he should do if it happens.

Mick was just like "you're an Olympic gold medalist in actual wrestling..."

Is Taz not shoot trained at all?

As a BJJ dude listening to his commentary, He seems to at least off the cuff seems to have at least a basic understanding of Judo both standing and ground work.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Defenestrategy posted:

Is Taz not shoot trained at all?

As a BJJ dude listening to his commentary, He seems to at least off the cuff seems to have at least a basic understanding of Judo both standing and ground work.

Taz does have training, but Kurt thought he was this unstoppable killing machine that would try to cripple his opponents because that's how he was booked in ECW.

Taz's judo background wasn't anywhere near as extensive as Kurt's wrestling experience.

Kurt basically thought he was getting in the ring with Don Frye or something.

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 2, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Taz is a second degree black belt in judo, but he's not like, Rousey or anything.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah a judo black belt isn't a joke, that's pretty legit and Tazz in 1999 would whoop the vast majority of normal people in a shoot. Kurt Angle, noted Olympic gold medalist in wrestling, was not a normal person.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CombineThresher posted:

That whole IWCCW/NWF/TWA era of indy wrestling is so fascinating to me. Just whole promotions of WWF job guys/washouts, roided-out lunks, and bridge-burners like Eddie Gilbert. Watching those promoters try to build something out of that scrap heap is, in a way, more interesting than today's indy scene, though way less fun to actually watch on the whole.

It was really interesting as a kid following them through the Apter mags. TWA sounded like the wildest stuff ever, after Memphis of course and I never saw a match of it at the time (and still really haven't). Honestly IWCCW mostly stuck out for 'Rick Steamboat has a brother? Wait, I bet he's not actually Rick's brother' but apparently Vic is so more fool me.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah a judo black belt isn't a joke, that's pretty legit and Tazz in 1999 would whoop the vast majority of normal people in a shoot. Kurt Angle, noted Olympic gold medalist in wrestling, was not a normal person.

Yeah, this is a good way of putting it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also to me, a non wrestler, it seemed the whole situation could be avoided if Kurt went to Taz before the match and asked him nicely not to hurt him intentionally.

Then Taz would say, "Of course not friend. I will not intentionally hurt you, you will not intentionally hurt me, and we will share a beverage together after the match as co-workers."

You know, like normal people.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also to me, a non wrestler, it seemed the whole situation could be avoided if Kurt went to Taz before the match and asked him nicely not to hurt him intentionally.

Then Taz would say, "Of course not friend. I will not intentionally hurt you, you will not intentionally hurt me, and we will share a beverage together after the match as co-workers."

This is completely unprofessional.

You shouldn't discuss anything and then try to hurt them later if they hurt you.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A reminder that in a sane rational company of sane rational people we wouldnt even have the possibility of asking "what if Daniel Puder had actually finished the kimura and exploded kurt angles shoulder." Because said company wouldnt have allowed hazing under the guise of improv to happen in the first place.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

davidbix posted:

More broadly, if your question is "what the hell was I[WC)CW's deal," then...who knows?

Haha, more or less. What little content I remember was kind of baffling because they'd promote WWF wrestlers while having zero intention of ever actually booking them. Thanks for the info.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Mick Foley and Taz both auditioned for a commercial (that was never shot I believe) where they would perform a wrestling move on Jerry Seinfeld.

Everyone who went in gave a mostly bullshit list of things they could to do Jerry without killing him except Taz, who told them anyone who gets in the ring with him is taking their chances.

Only tangentially relevant but I like that story.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Why didn't Shane Douglas make as much of an impact or have as much longevity as other ECW alumni?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pylons posted:

Why didn't Shane Douglas make as much of an impact or have as much longevity as other ECW alumni?

he sucks

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pylons posted:

Burnt bridges in his wake left and right might have something to do with it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Pylons posted:

Like other failed franchises, he expanded too fast.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Tazz/Angle talk reminds me of a story in New Jack's autobiography where he claims Mike Awesome thought the staple gun was really loaded and was freaked out worried about it all day backstage. New Jack didn't tell him the truth until the match started and stapled him with the gun, then he got to observe Awesome's relieved expression as he realized there were no staples in it.

As for Shane Douglas, just a case of burning all his bridges politically and also breaking down physically. After leaving WWF the first time they wanted nothing to do with him. He tried leaving WCW with the rest of The Radicalz and WWF made it clear they had absolutely no interest. Paul Heyman having some degree of power in WWF also wouldn't help, considering the bad blood between the two.

Shane was really falling apart at the end of his ECW run between his shoulders and his sinus issues.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

Burnt bridges in his wake left and right might have something to do with it.

Dude helped shoot end Eastern Championship Wrestling, who knows what else he would've done.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

holy gently caress

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

RandolphCarter posted:

lmao, incroyable

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Tato posted:

Shane was really falling apart at the end of his ECW run between his shoulders and his sinus issues.

I think this may be the biggest factor. He was in TNA for at least a little while, doing some announcing stuff, but I don't remember him ever wrestling there. If he had anything left, he could have been an upper-carder in TNA, at least before Hogan showed up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

I think this may be the biggest factor. He was in TNA for at least a little while, doing some announcing stuff, but I don't remember him ever wrestling there. If he had anything left, he could have been an upper-carder in TNA, at least before Hogan showed up.

He did wrestle in TNA, he was really bad. He was pretty good as a backstage interviewer though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tato posted:

The shoulder stuff is bad enough but hearing about how his sinuses like exploded more than once is just... yeah, wow.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have there been any like, 5*+ matches between two wrestlers with vastly different styles? Like Macho Man/Ultimo Dragon, or basically anyone against Khali.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Have there been any like, 5*+ matches between two wrestlers with vastly different styles? Like Macho Man/Ultimo Dragon, or basically anyone against Khali.
How does WALTER vs ZSJ sound?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Atsushi Onita, El Hijo del Santo & Tarzan Goto vs. Horace Boulder, Negro Casas & Tim Patterson

On one side you have Onita, one of the most charismatic stars in wrestling history, & Hijo del Santo, one of the most highly regarded luchadores of his era (if not all time).

On the other side you have Hulk Hogan's nephew, Horace Hogan of WCW "fame" (but also he did a few tours of FMW so I doubt you'd say he's a total stylistic mismatch). Plus I doubt Dave would have given it ***** if he hadn't seen it live.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Everyone forgets 5 Star Lars Sullivan

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

jesus WEP posted:

Also ZSJ Vs Ospreay

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Who is the most surprising person to have a five star match, and who is the most surprising person to not have one?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Defenestrategy posted:

Who is the most surprising person to have a five star match, and who is the most surprising person to not have one?

Up until recently Bryan Danielson didn’t have a 5 star match afaik

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Seams posted:

Up until recently Bryan Danielson didn’t have a 5 star match afaik

I'm actually shocked, but apparently that's right. I just assumed he had some sort of 5* banger in RoH.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Meiko Satomura doesn't have any *****s according to Dave but that's not a huge shock because Dave hasn't watched much joshi outwith Stardom since the 90s

Most surprising is definitely Horace Hogan. I don't think you can beat that.

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm actually shocked, but apparently that's right. I just assumed he had some sort of 5* banger in RoH.

I mean he absolutely did, but Dave wasn't watching ROH regularly back then. And when he did, he would watch it through this weird lens of "sure it's good but this would never get over in front of a WWE crowd". The Hero PWG match, Morishima, KENTA, McGuinness all in ROH, I think he had plenty ***** matches.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 3, 2022

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

WALTER is a magnificent technical wrestler, so no

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

There's a few 90s massive Horsemen tags that have names like Larry Zbyszko, Sid or Nikita Koloff attached.

There's a 96 Michinoku Pro tag with some all time greats against the Kai En Tai stable made famous in WWE for " "I choppy choppy your pee pee!"" which means Shoichi Funaki, Men's Teioh, and NJPW's very own Dick Togo all have a five star match

T-bar has one for a BOLA performance against Keith Lee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Who is the wrestler of the 21st century - Hiroshi Tanahashi or Bryan Danielson