Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Materia melding question: if a piece of gear starts at 167/238 Crit and is Advanced Melding Forbidden, is it worth dropping two X materias in there even though one point will be wasted?

Depends on stat tiering. Stats don't actually scale linearly but instead have an effect when you hit certain thresholds. So it is possible that losing that single point of crit does have an effect and drops you down a tier, but tiers are generally 10-12ish points so it's not super likely that it will matter. You can gently caress around on a bunch of calculators and simulators to see what is a theoretical damage gain but in practice a single point lost is not significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

PF is the way to go.

Thanks! I heard a few years back that nobody used raid finder outside of Japan and I was hoping that had changed because it seems so convenient for practice... oh well.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Glagha posted:

It's been a minute but with that I was referring to baldesion arsenal where you need a group inside and outside to complete it and it has fun mechanics like get kicked out of the raid. My whole point has been "Bozja good, Eureka bad".

All of that is why BA was cool though. People act like it's some hardcore only content but the bosses are literally alliance raid level simple, the fear of getting booted if you are asleep at the wheel is what makes it exciting. The trash pulls being extremely deadly between bosses makes them memorable. The group outside thing is also really cool especially since it serves as a way for people to get in on a run they were late for/couldn't come with the initial set of people.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

WrightOfWay posted:

Depends on stat tiering. Stats don't actually scale linearly but instead have an effect when you hit certain thresholds. So it is possible that losing that single point of crit does have an effect and drops you down a tier, but tiers are generally 10-12ish points so it's not super likely that it will matter. You can gently caress around on a bunch of calculators and simulators to see what is a theoretical damage gain but in practice a single point lost is not significant.

I would say don't even think about tiering until you're getting close to your BiS because you're probably gonna change at least one piece of gear every week and all your tiers are going to change.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

troofs posted:

Thanks! I heard a few years back that nobody used raid finder outside of Japan and I was hoping that had changed because it seems so convenient for practice... oh well.

I could see the opposite, but pf lets you limit your search to what you need to practice on. If you're ready to clear, raid finder in theory should work fine, but it won't help practice groups line up their experience.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

troofs posted:

So find a PF entry marked as [Practice]. :v:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ibram Gaunt posted:

All of that is why BA was cool though. People act like it's some hardcore only content but the bosses are literally alliance raid level simple, the fear of getting booted if you are asleep at the wheel is what makes it exciting. The trash pulls being extremely deadly between bosses makes them memorable. The group outside thing is also really cool especially since it serves as a way for people to get in on a run they were late for/couldn't come with the initial set of people.

It serves as a way to make it impossible for anyone to do the content without people specifically coming there to drag you through it and as a way to waste everyone's time. Same thing with getting kicked out, it's "lol I bet you're glad you did this because you have nothing to show for it get hosed idiot".

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
japan even uses PF to organize practice too, they only use RF for reclears

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Glagha posted:

It serves as a way to make it impossible for anyone to do the content without people specifically coming there to drag you through it and as a way to waste everyone's time. Same thing with getting kicked out, it's "lol I bet you're glad you did this because you have nothing to show for it get hosed idiot".

Can't say this was my, or anyone I know's experience with BA. Took me two attempts to get a clear but I still enjoyed my time in the first one even though we couldn't meet the Ozma DPS check. You aren't wasting time unless you somehow manage to get yourself killed and unable to be raised in the first trash pull or something since each boss gives you cubes.

I don't think that optional content requires a very low barrier of entry in that it expects people to look into the fights or have a shot caller is a strike against it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Can't say this was my, or anyone I know's experience with BA. Took me two attempts to get a clear but I still enjoyed my time in the first one even though we couldn't meet the Ozma DPS check. You aren't wasting time unless you somehow manage to get yourself killed and unable to be raised in the first trash pull or something since each boss gives you cubes.

I don't think that optional content requires a very low barrier of entry in that it expects people to look into the fights or have a shot caller is a strike against it.

Low barrier to entry being ground through 4 zones of giant xp grinds all the way to this point where only at the end do you see actual content with fights that have mechanics, and your prize is a boss that potentially might just throw you out to add insult to injury.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just don't die lol

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
In a game full of easy to access, easy to queue for, relatively non-punitive content, it's interesting to have a little old-school "you need to coordinate well and failure will sting" optional stuff to do. If the whole game was like BA, well, gently caress that. But BA isn't necessary for anything but saying you did it and getting some neat items. If it's too hard or unpleasant sounding for any particular person, hey, they're not obligated to go run it. Literally. But it's fun to a certain kind of person and it doesn't suck unilaterally across the board.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

The only thing that's going to get you sent out of BA is you personally messing up or the entire thing wiping, I don't really see how that's any different from anything else. Even if you DO die inside on anything but ozma the majority of organized runs have people bringing the resources to revive as many new players as possible.

It's okay to just not like eureka, but acting like it's the worst thing ever made and everything about it is bad and having to bring up how insanely bad it is every single time people even talk about it is just ridiculous lol

I don't think anyone who's actually done eureka is going to not want to talk about its flaws, especially after it's been iterated on.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Mister Olympus posted:

japan even uses PF to organize practice too, they only use RF for reclears

Oh, I thought it was the other way around. My mistake.

Kyrosiris posted:

So find a PF entry marked as [Practice]. :v:

This is what I've always done (or made my own) but managing groups is annoying. If I don't have any expectations of clearing it seemed like a nice idea to be able to just click a button and get matched with some randos just to see what the attacks look like, but apparently I was wrong about how it worked anyway so back to PF I go :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Glagha posted:

Low barrier to entry being ground through 4 zones of giant xp grinds all the way to this point where only at the end do you see actual content with fights that have mechanics, and your prize is a boss that potentially might just throw you out to add insult to injury.

If you are willing to grind out 4 zones worth of stuff, I don't think reading a guide or joining an organized run is too much to ask ontop of that.

And the way you keep bringing up being kicked out of the instance confuses me. Did you actually do BA? The chances of getting kicked out of the instance is very low. Even if you mess up the mechanics and die during a boss you can typically be brought back by the healers using sacrifice. Or self rez with that other action. And Ozma will only kick you out if you walk off the edge or just do the mechanics wrong. Hell, in my winning attempt we had someone out of position die to the meteors on Ozma and was able to be revived before black hole yanked his corpse out of the fight.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm just expressing that everything Eureka did, Bozja did better. It didn't put the only raid behind a giant wall of mind numbing grind, and the one raid Eureka did has obnoxious bullshit that doesn't need to be there and requires a ton of people to do which means it's a pain in the rear end to do it if you didn't do it when it was brand new. Eureka isn't the worst thing ever, but it's not good. That is the only thing I said at any point.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It is not hard to do BA currently what on earth...??? There are weekly runs, sometimes multiple!! in the Primal Forays discord. And I'm sure similar for other datacenters as well.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I have a friend on Crystal who loves Eureka and they do a BA run every day. It’s not that hard to get in.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i also have a friend, in europe no less, who streams the ba runs she does every few weeks. and she could easily do more she just chooses not to.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
BA is a lot more fun than DR normal... once you get in at least.

DR Savage seems pretty cool but I haven't had the chance to give it a serious go.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my 1 run of BA was one of the coolest things ive done in the whole game

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just hope if they do another big open world PvE zone it isn't a glorified fate grind like Bozja is. The exploration, coordination, and weird side content were what made Eureka interesting

Also a way to practice duels without grinding notoriety and qualifying would be cool :shobon:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

personally I wish the English speaking community didn't only run BA in discord premades but it's also extremely easy to join one and the community is constantly tripping over itself trying to get more new people in.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
how many hours does it take to get through eureka these days

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Depends, are you just wanting to blitz through the actual zones themselves, make a relic, get the Elemental armor, etc?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
How about 'fresh to proto-ozma' but expressed in how long it'll take you to get through each zone? I do still kind of want the mount, but I stalled out towards the end of pagos when that was current because it was extremely bad and I really didn't have the will to continue even after they were supposed to have fixed it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Depends, are you just wanting to blitz through the actual zones themselves, make a relic, get the Elemental armor, etc?

I don't know enough about eureka do intelligently answer the question. I just want to "do" it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It took me 4 weeks of playing with my friend (so one week per area) and stopping until challenge reset each time we hit a new area. So you could do it faster if you're willing to grind mobs and not wait for the challenge log to give you an xp headstart. Obviously this isn't an hour count but it was about 3-4 evenings a week.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It took me about a solid week of most of the day playing to get thru current state Pagos - > Hydatos/BA. This was also completing a relic though so I had to stay in each zone for a while after I could have moved on though.

The challenge logs help alot but honestly once you get rolling you get so much xp from aoe farming mobs 1 level higher than you that you don't really have to rely on them.

Reaper is really good for soloing, with an Osode equipped you attack so fast you can survive big packs of mobs for chain bonuses pretty comfortably as long as you use eurekan potions and Bloodbath. Only gets easier once you start getting logos actions too.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 3, 2022

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Eureka has gotten a ton easier since I got a keyboard (PS5). If you're willing to join up with a prep group you will flyyyyyy through XP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just had a Sage in the level 79 dungeon who was level 89 who didn't want to heal at all. They said that their DPS should be enough to keep people up. Somehow ignoring that A) Said DPS wasn't healing the DPS and B) OGcD heals make things a lot more tolerable.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Speaking of DR how's queuing for it these days (on Excal, so uh, Primal I think)? Been meaning to go and grab the RDM relic for glam reasons.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ImpAtom posted:

I just had a Sage in the level 79 dungeon who was level 89 who didn't want to heal at all. They said that their DPS should be enough to keep people up. Somehow ignoring that A) Said DPS wasn't healing the DPS and B) OGcD heals make things a lot more tolerable.

That's literally like thinking Eos can cover the 79 dungeon, which is absolutely inane.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ImpAtom posted:

Is not wanting to use the healing kit a recurring problem with Sages? I've noticed a lot of Sages taking forever to do rezzes, even when they should have Swiftcast up and the rest of the team is stable. I don't want to be greedy about rezzes, but I swear I've had multiple dungeons with Sage healers where I've been left on the floor, even as tank.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Antivehicular posted:

Is not wanting to use the healing kit a recurring problem with Sages? I've noticed a lot of Sages taking forever to do rezzes, even when they should have Swiftcast up and the rest of the team is stable. I don't want to be greedy about rezzes, but I swear I've had multiple dungeons with Sage healers where I've been left on the floor, even as tank.

It's not endemic to Sages, there's just a huge population of healers that are garbage (out of a huge population of players that are garbage.) You just notice instantly when it's the healer.

Most of the Sage healing kit is oGCD so you can keep 100% dps uptime and still heal like a madman.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Antivehicular posted:

I’m assuming a lot of these Sages never healed before and jumped on for “Healing through DPS”. Which to be fair is appealing. The other healers have to go through 90/60 levels of training wheels, a lot of which doesn’t require much healing, giving them a lot more time to figure out how their kit works.

Also some people just suck I’m not sure.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

I just hope if they do another big open world PvE zone it isn't a glorified fate grind like Bozja is. The exploration, coordination, and weird side content were what made Eureka interesting

"Do 1 million fates" seems to be their go-to open world thing so I don't have super high hopes.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

When Shadowbringers launched, people were complaining Gunbreaker was squishy compared to other tanks, when the reality was there were just a lot of people who'd never played a tank before picking it up and not using their defensives or rotating them properly

I imagine the Sage thing is the same phenomenon

Zokari posted:

"Do 1 million fates" seems to be their go-to open world thing so I don't have super high hopes.

Honestly each shot they've taken at this type of content has been an improvement in one way or another, so I'm pretty hopeful about it

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BA kicks rear end and the way that JP datacenters organise them don't even use Discord servers, it's all just organised organically. All just kinda works out. I cleared BA for the first time in an unorganised group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

When Shadowbringers launched, people were complaining Gunbreaker was squishy compared to other tanks, when the reality was there were just a lot of people who'd never played a tank before picking it up and not using their defensives or rotating them properly

I imagine the Sage thing is the same phenomenon

Yeah, a player that actually knows how to play healer will be a perfectly good Sage from the word go.

Completely fresh healers picking up Sage not only have to learn their job's kit, they have to learn an entirely new role.