Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Pretty much everything that can hurt someone or cause them discomfort is going to have a fake medicine or homeopathic remedy for it, especially something as overwhelmingly common as inflammation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crankit posted:

they can do organ transplants from one person to another, is it possible to do hair or fingernail transplants from one person to another?

With hair transplants, you would typically transplant active/live hair follicles from some other part of your own head(usually the back of your head where it would be less noticeable) to the area with less hair. The mechanics have changed a bit but that's something that has been in use for about 60 years. You could probably receive material from another person, but I don't know why you would, and like any other material exchange, there's the risk of rejection.

Fingernails are another subject and personally researching the idea squicks me out as I had toenails removed and I don't like to recall those sensations. So I can't speak to the science behind that. But, IIRC, if you remove/damage the cells that produce nails badly enough the nails just stop producing. As to whether or not you could implant those cells from one person to another and have those produce nails, I'm thinking no. I would imagine that unless your life was adversely affected by not having fingernails, and it was just for appearances, realistically there would be some kind of prosthetic you could wear instead. So I think not only is it unlikely, but in most scenarios, most people would just live without fingernails.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'd like to by some small steam purchases for my brother in Australia but the price differential prevents me from gifting them. Is there any other way I can do it?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I play Spotify podcasts in my car with Apple CarPlay. Google Maps is at the same time feeding me directions via audio. My problem is that when maps is talking, instead of pausing the podcast, it keeps the podcast playing and mutes it for a short period. This means I miss segments of the podcast whenever I need to make a turn or whatever. How do I change this behavior? Is it possible?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jaguars! posted:

I'd like to by some small steam purchases for my brother in Australia but the price differential prevents me from gifting them. Is there any other way I can do it?

Hopefully someone will be able to pop in and answer but in the meantime it might be a good idea to crosspost the question in this thread.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Vegetable posted:

I play Spotify podcasts in my car with Apple CarPlay. Google Maps is at the same time feeding me directions via audio. My problem is that when maps is talking, instead of pausing the podcast, it keeps the podcast playing and mutes it for a short period. This means I miss segments of the podcast whenever I need to make a turn or whatever. How do I change this behavior? Is it possible?

I had to start using another app just for podcasts. I’ve had great success with “Overcast.”

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I had to start using another app just for podcasts. I’ve had great success with “Overcast.”

Same issue, but I use podbean on android to get around it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jaguars! posted:

Check if it's available on gog or humble?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Spotify is just absolute crap, and I've never found a way around this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Overcast doesn’t let me mark episodes as played. This is a real pain for podcasts where I’m already 50% through the episodes on a different app. Anyone have suggestions for other podcast apps that work well with Google Maps?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I really like player.fm

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Overcast doesn’t let me mark episodes as played. This is a real pain for podcasts where I’m already 50% through the episodes on a different app. Anyone have suggestions for other podcast apps that work well with Google Maps?

What do you mean? What does swiping an episode left do?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vegetable posted:

PocketCasts works great for me.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is there any indication when the new Switch N64 wireless controllers will be available again? If there is none, are there any third party options available? I love the design of the N64 controller so I'm not interested in the Brawler64 or anything.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We have a screened-in porch with a concrete floor that's... ridged? corrugated? Whatever it's called, it makes it basically impossible to sweep off. I could rent a power washer, but I'm afraid of stripping the paint that's on the wood that goes around the edge of the porch. What would be a good way to clean this concrete?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

hooah posted:

We have a screened-in porch with a concrete floor that's... ridged? corrugated? Whatever it's called, it makes it basically impossible to sweep off. I could rent a power washer, but I'm afraid of stripping the paint that's on the wood that goes around the edge of the porch. What would be a good way to clean this concrete?

leaf blower?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I would think that a regular hose would work for small debris and dirt. It wouldn't be able to get the really embedded dirt out though. So far as I know, pressure washing is your best bet there. Rig up some tarps or something to protect stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The problem with a hose is that I don't know how to get all the water back off of the porch through the one door to the exterior.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Deck scrubber?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hmmm, that could work.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

when I toast my bagels a bit of smoke comes out, setting off the fire alarm if I don't put it under a vent. I cleaned the crumb tray, and shook out all the loose debris, but it's still happening. I'm guessing it's this black crud at the bottom - what's the best way to get it out? otherwise I'll just get a new toaster, but I've only had this one for six months so that seems kind of wasteful

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
Hey does anyone remember that post, that I think was in r/relationships, or maybe a bachelor thread, or maybe a breakfast thread

about a man sitting down in perfect quiet with a single wheat biscuit in his bowl, or something and it was like one of the saddest things?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

hooah posted:

Stiff-bristled push-broom with the grain, then a wet-dry vac to remove the dust.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lincoln posted:

Stiff-bristled push-broom with the grain, then a wet-dry vac to remove the dust.

For a second I thought this was a response to the toaster question. :roflolmao:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm looking for an Android app that I can have multiple checklists in that can be combined into one bigger list. Basically it should be something that I can write out my shopping needs for various recipes and then just pick what I'm shopping for that week and combine them into the one shopping list. Having a web interface so I can sync between browser and phone would be nice but not essential. Paid is fine but not subscription. Anyone got an idea on what would work here?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I use Paprika 3 recipe manger. It should check all your boxes, multi platform, syncing, recipe lists that feed into meal plan and/or grocery lists. When I got it it was $10 one time cost.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

How did the popular culture idea of a druid come to be "plant/animal wizard"? I'm not any sort of expert but weren't the mystical powers attributed to actual druids more along the lines of astrology?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

How did the popular culture idea of a druid come to be "plant/animal wizard"? I'm not any sort of expert but weren't the mystical powers attributed to actual druids more along the lines of astrology?

I'm not an expert but I'm guessing Dnd has a lot to do with it. Tias over in the nordic paganism-thread might know more.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

The Moon Monster posted:

Looks like somebody just earned a curse.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Very good question... you might even call it

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

It definitely from D&D. Or if not, then the traditional games chat thread might know.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Funny, she doesn't look Druish.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It definitely from D&D. Or if not, then the traditional games chat thread might know.

Asterix the Gaul came out in 1959 and featured a nature-themed druid. He went for walks in the forest to cut herbs with his golden sickle, and so far as I'm aware never did any stargazing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Identifying druids with trees goes back to Roman times. The know-it-all Pliny the Elder nattered on about how “druid” meant “tree-knower” and how it was related to the word “dryad” and blah blah blah. Caesar described a whole Wicker Man kind of human sacrifice scenario in the Gallic Wars. Tacitus talked about burning the druids’ groves to sap their powers. I’m sure there are more Roman references but it’s been 35 years since my Classics courses so I forget.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I need something on my PC (Windows 10) that will go off every X minutes to remind me to get up and stretch. It could be a native Windows feature, a third party app, or a Chrome extension. I just need it to be active whenever the PC isn't asleep / Chrome is open without any input from me, and I need to be able to set a custom time period. Maybe my google-fu is weak but I'm struggling to find something that does something this simple reliably.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
My good friends, I have a puzzlement and a quandary. I very much want to mount a blue tooth receiver in the wall, and power it from my 120v household wiring. I will run speaker wires thenceforth to ceiling speakers, from the back of the unit. This seems simple, do you not agree? However, it has been most disconcerting to find that all such units, although mostly designed to fit into a single gang box, have a DC power adapter. They cannot be wired to household line power! How, then, can I place such a unit in the wall without using a plug-in power adapter? This seems to work against the very idea of having an inwall unit. Here is an example of what I'm seeing: https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Bluetoo...130&sr=8-3&th=1

Is there a solution to this? Does anyone make a unit of similar size and installation that wires to 120v? Or, alternatively, can the power adapter be hardwired into house current in the box?

LOVE,
VITALIS

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

El Jeffe posted:

I need something on my PC (Windows 10) that will go off every X minutes to remind me to get up and stretch. It could be a native Windows feature, a third party app, or a Chrome extension. I just need it to be active whenever the PC isn't asleep / Chrome is open without any input from me, and I need to be able to set a custom time period. Maybe my google-fu is weak but I'm struggling to find something that does something this simple reliably.

I would just use an alarm on my phone for this?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

El Jeffe posted:

Look for a pomodoro app or some such. There are billions of them and that should get you in the ball park for what you're after.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I would just use an alarm on my phone for this?

I want it only when I'm at my desk, automatically and with no input from me post-installation.

Inceltown posted:

Look for a pomodoro app or some such. There are billions of them and that should get you in the ball park for what you're after.

Found a pomodoro app that got pretty close to what I needed, minus the no further input part unfortunately. Then I found a recommendation for Big Stretch Reminder which is perfect. Just a bing bong every 45 minutes, set it and forget it.

Thanks y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'd like to replace my dad's cable with Philo to save money. The only problem is it doesn't have TCM. Is there another cheap way I could stream classic movies for him?