Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah the rumbling by itself doesn't seem that horrific...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm wondering if the ending is going to be a total genocidal apocalypse with both Eren and Zeke getting their wishes. Zeke sterilizes all Eldians and the Rumbling kills everyone outside of Paradis.

Since Eren is literally a dying head at this moment, presumably after the wishes are granted he'll finish dying and without any new Eldians being born and with no one available to eat Eren immediately, the founding Titan will be lost completely and there will be no way to undo everything.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Eren will be coming back somehow, no way he dies like that

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alan_Shore posted:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
So fun thing to think about. My friend was confused at what Eren knew about the future. We figured out that Eren saw the whole future when he kissed Historia's hand, but my friend was like, "Well does he just a photographic memory of everything he saw?!" And the answer is "No". That's why Eren still acts surprised by things that happen. Much like someone recalling their past experiences, he knows the broad strokes of what is coming but can't recall moment to moment what is going to happen. He knows Mikasa will save him from the Warhammer, and that he'll eat it, but not exactly when or how. So we get, "Now or never Mikasa.", and him telling her that now he'll eat it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Isn't the rumbling literally leveling every nation to the ground

Alan_Shore posted:

Eren will be coming back somehow, no way he dies like that

I'm assuming ymir will rebuild him like she did for zeke

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hey when the gently caress are we gonna find out what happened to levi

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Hey when the gently caress are we gonna find out what happened to levi

He's dead.

After all, Hange said he was dead, and why would anyone ever lie to Floch?

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Before now I figured Eren was doing a Dune and Using 'future memories' of possible branches of the future to try to steer events in a direction that turned out best for everyone. Everything from killing all those people in Marley to ruining all his friendships were necessary evils and it was going to be revealed towards the end that Eren was only doing all this to try to save as many lives as possible/stop the apocalypse

I guess that wasn't the case. Now I'm pretty certain he's been manipulating events in the past to try to steer everything to this point and he's planning to set in motion the rumbling not to warn everyone to stay away from Eldia but to straight up kill each and every person across the ocean just like he pretty much said he was going to do at the end of season 3. Which sounds pretty drat horrific.

Hell of a twist.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

To be fair I was thinking of the Rumbling as more of a deterrent to stop other nations from attacking. If Eren is sending millions of giant titans to Marley then... oh boy

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The Paradis/Zeke plan was just a little Rumbling, as a treat.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Eren's not pulling a Paul Atreides either. He can't see many possible futures, just the ONE future that he is destined to experience. So basically all he (and Grisha) can see is the actions he will take and the results of those actions, but he can't change what he's going to do based on that information though.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Eren's not pulling a Paul Atreides either. He can't see many possible futures, just the ONE future that he is destined to experience. So basically all he (and Grisha) can see is the actions he will take and the results of those actions, but he can't change what he's going to do based on that information though.

Yeah I see that now, though before this episode it was a little vaguer how the 'future memories' were being experienced.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
My understanding of The Rumbling is that it would unleash the (tens of?) thousands of Colossal Titans inside the walls who would be totally under Eren’s control, and not have any agency like Beertoto/Armin.

Seeing what Armin did to the Eldian ghetto in Marley makes me think that would be A Bad Thing. Just getting them out could turn all of Paradis into a plate of glass...

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They're already transformed so they wouldn't explode like the Colossal can (which is a voluntary ability either way).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yeah pretty much the same as the Tralfamadorian aliens in Kurt Vonnegut's 'Slaughterhouse Five'. They experience reality in four dimensions so they're able to perceive any point in time, although they're not able to prevent events from happening.

Fun fact: a version of the Tralfamadorians first appeared in Vonnegut's 1959 novel 'The Sirens Of Titan'.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm really dreading finding out Eren's grand plan in regards to Historia.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The one thing you can count on is that Eren will look after his friends. After all he wouldn't let her eat Zeke and didn't speak up when he figured out his power

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My understanding of The Rumbling is that it would unleash the (tens of?) thousands of Colossal Titans inside the walls who would be totally under Eren’s control, and not have any agency like Beertoto/Armin.

Seeing what Armin did to the Eldian ghetto in Marley makes me think that would be A Bad Thing. Just getting them out could turn all of Paradis into a plate of glass...

I remember Japanese fans doing the math to estimate the number of Wall Titans and they came to the conclusion of there being around 500 to 600 thousand Wall Titans given the size of Paradis (since it's literally Not Madagascar). We got to see the results of a Rumbling in the second ED and it wasn't pretty. I also would implore people to go back and watch that ED before the next episode coming up.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

If angry faces were a consistent clue, she'd be the next attack titan.

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm really dreading finding out Eren's grand plan in regards to Historia.

I considered the possibility Historia is controlling Eren, but there aren't any hints to that regard. However, Frieda could have planted something in Historia, either because she could read the future as well or she had her own plan to override the king's will.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I doubt Frieda could do anything but I'd bet the Founder Ymir isn't as much a mindless slave as Zeke thinks. She at least had enough initiative to save him at the start of this season without any prompting. Considering she had all the titan powers when she was alive and they all split from her, shouldn't she have been able to see the future too?

Also I don't think Eren has anything sinister planned for Historia. His whole plan seems to have happened because he refuses to let her become a royal blooded titan and pump out babies for 13 years, which was what the militaries plan was iirc.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 2, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Iirc the historia baby plan was Zeke's plan, the military just kinda looked at it and went "uh, well, yeah I guess that makes sense" and have mostly tried to avoid mentioning it despite it being the big gross elephant in the room with that plan

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vanderdeath posted:

I remember Japanese fans doing the math to estimate the number of Wall Titans and they came to the conclusion of there being around 500 to 600 thousand Wall Titans given the size of Paradis (since it's literally Not Madagascar). We got to see the results of a Rumbling in the second ED and it wasn't pretty. I also would implore people to go back and watch that ED before the next episode coming up.

Trying to quantify things can lead to some absurd conclusions. 600 thousand is about the entire estimated global population of the 1700s.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 3, 2022

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
1700s world population is 600 million.

600 thousand isn't unreasonable considering that settled states pre 0 BCE were throwing around tens of thousands of soldiers in wars. And those were trained combatants, while titan soldiers can be recruited from anyone in your population.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I'm hoping that was a typo. You'd have to go back tens of thousands of years or more to be below the million mark.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Decimals are hard.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Willy Tybur claimed there were tens of millions of colossal titans in the walls. He could've been exaggerating but I remember seeing a YouTube video about how the scale in the show is all over the place based on what seems coolest so who knows.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

iirc there's a lot of detailed info on exactly how large things are but the show (especially in its visuals) will exaggerate these details to better fit the scene. you could say that willy was exaggerating, that he did not himself know and got this info second hand from someone who was exaggerating, or that the show itself was exaggerating the numbers and we're not meant to read into willy's knowledge of that specific figure. also, while someone on reddit may have done the math, the author may not have and just ballparked a really big number

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

This could be a dumb idea and is influenced heavily by FF7R (no specific events mentioned here but broad thematic spoilers I suppose), but I’d been operating under the assumption that Eren was being guided by some future memories and was attempting to bring about a positive end result based on those memories. The last few posts have made me consider what his natural reaction to seeing the future would be. If there’s one thing he hates, it’s being told what he can and can’t do, and there’s nothing more restrictive than “this is what will happen and there’s nothing you can do about it.” I guess I’m starting to think he’s doing the exact opposite of what I’d assume. Not sure if that resolves whether he’s in any way justifiable in his actions, but it does seem like a plausible read of what he might be doing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

drat this show owns. Not sure I can think of anyone who got owned harder than Zeke did in this episode

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

drat this show owns. Not sure I can think of anyone who got owned harder than Zeke did in this episode

Zeke in the first half of season 4
Zeke in season 3

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
It's just so delicious to see Zeke, a wannabe Liquid Ocelot in terms of duplicity and betrayal, get utterly bodied by someone who held a much, much better hand of cards than him. Especially when he was so sure he had the upper hand.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Zeke snitched his parents out to the cops and has gotten exactly what he deserved in life :colbert:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Zeke can never be too owned, its true.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Vanderdeath posted:

We got to see the results of a Rumbling in the second ED and it wasn't pretty. I also would implore people to go back and watch that ED before the next episode coming up.

I'm an idiot and don't know what ED stands for in this context. The acronym means like five different things to me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I'm an idiot and don't know what ED stands for in this context. The acronym means like five different things to me.

Ending. It's the song and video that plays over the credits.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

i actually went back and watched all the endings after this post and its really amazing how nostalgic they are. any one really takes me back to that season, and whatever was going on in my life at the time. also nostalgic for parts of the series like oh haha yeah i remember that, those were good times (but actually they were only good in comparison to what happens later.)

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

chiasaur11 posted:

Ending. It's the song and video that plays over the credits.

thank you. much better than eating disorders, erectile dysfunction, or executive directors. i will go back and watch the EDs now.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

DamnitGannet posted:

i actually went back and watched all the endings after this post and its really amazing how nostalgic they are. any one really takes me back to that season, and whatever was going on in my life at the time. also nostalgic for parts of the series like oh haha yeah i remember that, those were good times (but actually they were only good in comparison to what happens later.)

Great Escape was the fuckin best, hey

I always wanted to try and mash it up with the ending to the Dangan Ronpa 1 anime that was also out at the time, but I ended up not figuring out how to do mashups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Shock was my favorite ED, though the s2 ED deserves the most recognition