Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
This is potentially a super dumb question, but would it be possible for a complete beginner to coding to start learning how to program for board game arena? I've had a quick look at BGA studio and it seems like I'd need to learn a few different languages.

I'm a CNC programmer / machinist so I have access to decent workstations at work and occasionally have free time while machines are running, I just thought it could be a fun thing to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

HampHamp posted:

This is potentially a super dumb question, but would it be possible for a complete beginner to coding to start learning how to program for board game arena? I've had a quick look at BGA studio and it seems like I'd need to learn a few different languages.

I'm a CNC programmer / machinist so I have access to decent workstations at work and occasionally have free time while machines are running, I just thought it could be a fun thing to learn.

I'm a backend developer, but based what little I know about web programming and CNC programming, I feel like this would be a pretty big leap. They say you need to know PHP, SQL, HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Now, HTML and CSS kind of go together, but that is still a lot to learn. You might have a headstart if you already understand things like object orientation or other concepts, but it's not like the jump from Java to C#; SQL especially is just different. I know literal zero about PHP so I can't say if that is easy or not. The cool thing is that you should be able to try this stuff out without specialized equipment since all you need for everything except SQL is a web browser, unless PHP needs something I don't know about.

What you could do is try out a normal web programming tutorials on YouTube and see if you pick up enough to then be able to review the BGA stuff. Here's a 14 hour video that I have not watched that might help.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I'm a backend developer, but based what little I know about web programming and CNC programming, I feel like this would be a pretty big leap. They say you need to know PHP, SQL, HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Now, HTML and CSS kind of go together, but that is still a lot to learn. You might have a headstart if you already understand things like object orientation or other concepts, but it's not like the jump from Java to C#; SQL especially is just different. I know literal zero about PHP so I can't say if that is easy or not. The cool thing is that you should be able to try this stuff out without specialized equipment since all you need for everything except SQL is a web browser, unless PHP needs something I don't know about.

What you could do is try out a normal web programming tutorials on YouTube and see if you pick up enough to then be able to review the BGA stuff. Here's a 14 hour video that I have not watched that might help.

Thanks for the reply! I kind of guessed after seeing the list of languages used that it may be an uphill climb, but I enjoy learning stuff so even if it didn't go anywhere it wouldn't be wasted time. I'll check that video out and take it from there!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
BGG is doing another daily Black History Month list of the trad gaming space. Two very interesting people have already profiled, including one I definitely should have heard of but definitely had not.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/295404/

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Azran posted:

I see the Anniversary Edition of Castles of Burgundy comes with a lot of extra expansions and promo stuff (player mats, Geese tiles, Inns, etc). Which ones should I use and which ones should I forget about?

As someone who own nearly all the promos from the 1st printing edition. I reccomend playing them one at a time. But if I were to rank the amt of fun it would be this:

1. Team Game
2. Trade Routes
3. New Tiles, but especially promo 1 tiles
4. Solo
5. New boards
6. Everything else

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

BGG is doing another daily Black History Month list of the trad gaming space. Two very interesting people have already profiled, including one I definitely should have heard of but definitely had not.

Thanks for posting this early in the month. Today I learned who R. Talsorian is!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Stonemaier games announced they're remaking Libertalia.

https://stonemaiergames.com/games/libertalia-winds-of-galecrest/

Not to be mistaken with rereleasing Libertalia.

Magnetic North posted:

Fertessa is awesome. I definitely backed her Wicked and Wise and Book of Villainy Kickstarters

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 3, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Frozen Peach posted:

Stonemaier games announced they're remaking Liberatlia.

https://stonemaiergames.com/games/libertalia-winds-of-galecrest/

Not to be mistaken with rereleasing Libertalia.

It appears that technically they are re-releasing it, as they're adding ten new characters and those can be removed when they inevitably turn out to be lovely and unbalanced.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
This was just such a funky and obtuse way of making this distinction. Note that this was prior to the announcement.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
He's so insufferable.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Radioactive Toy posted:

This was just such a funky and obtuse way of making this distinction. Note that this was prior to the announcement.

:actually:, :umberto:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Radioactive Toy posted:

Truly, how could there be any confusion. Plain as day don't you see.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

We did NOT acquire Libertalia, but we brought the designer aboard and are developing a game with the same name and a suspiciously similar premise. And we're NOT reprinting it.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I really like Libertalia but a “solo mode” seems like the most pointless thing ever, I can’t see how it would be at all satisfying.

I used to play Libertalia a fair deal as a pretty chill and simple game, but these days Oriflamme is very similar and possibly just as good but plays in much less time. Libertalia is pretty good for larger groups though and id often get it out for 5-6 players as something that wouldn’t take too long or that much explaining.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Blamestorm posted:

I really like Libertalia but a “solo mode” seems like the most pointless thing ever, I can’t see how it would be at all satisfying.

This reminds me: Terraforming Mars shows up on a lot of the "best solo games" lists, but I can't see how it'd be fun. I didn't like TM because it's like two hours of drafting and watching other people construct engines that shuffle cubes around their board. Maybe without the aspect of other people not wanting the game to finish it's good?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Funnily enough the solo rules for TfM fix that main issue by having a 14 round time limit you have to finish terraforming by. The main game would be strictly better with similar time pressure.

\/ yeah it’s still not good

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 3, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's still not great because a lot of the cards are points-focused and so aren't good in solo.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wasn't there a post a page or three ago that Libertalia was good? I was going to look into it. What should I do now?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Wasn't there a post a page or three ago that Libertalia was good? I was going to look into it. What should I do now?

Libertalia: Good
Stonemaier: Jamey
Libertalia: Winds of the Galecrests? Probably good but largely depends on your opinion on Jamey Stegmaier

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Does anyone have any good board game bookcases to recommend? I know Kallax is well regarded but I don't have a way to get them back from Ikea (they're apparently not even in stock at my local one) and delivery to my zip code isn't available. I'd love something similar though, but don't want something super rickety that just looks the same.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Carillon posted:

Does anyone have any good board game bookcases to recommend? I know Kallax is well regarded but I don't have a way to get them back from Ikea (they're apparently not even in stock at my local one) and delivery to my zip code isn't available. I'd love something similar though, but don't want something super rickety that just looks the same.

Find one used locally and pay extra for delivery? I got my 4x4 used in 2018 and it has survived 4 moves including one cross country, all that with three vertical dividers removed. Such a great value.

Walmart has a version (better homes and garden branded I think) that isn’t rickety though idk how big they come.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Bodanarko posted:

Walmart has a version (better homes and garden branded I think) that isn’t rickety though idk how big they come.

This one's garbage. Once it's up, if you try and move it without taking it apart you're in for a bad time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kallax is the gold standard. You should really aim for that if you can wait for a restock.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
It was just brought to my attention that 5x5s don't fit through a lot of doorways and now I'm frustrated.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CitizenKeen posted:

It was just brought to my attention that 5x5s don't fit through a lot of doorways and now I'm frustrated.

If you're remotely inclined you can make some shelves really, really easily yourself if you've got the tools (drill, saw of some time) or know someone you can borrow them from. A few boards and screws and sandpaper/sander and some paint or whatever and you're golden. Get some braces/brackets if you're like me and have an ancient house that's not remotely level. If you want to be even thriftier swing by a Habitat for Humanity store or thrift shop and you might find some high quality shelves that you can disassemble and reassemble really easily, although this might rely on having a truck or van.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

CitizenKeen posted:

Wait. Libertalia is indeed good but there are a lot of other games which IMO fill a similar niche and are also very good, depending on how many players you typically have and how long/complex an experience you want. It’s a light-ish bluffing game at heart, really, and there is a lot of good stuff in that space (especially relatively cheap small box card games like Oriflamme which I mentioned before). So I’d wait and see what the new edition is like, and depending on what you are hankering for there might be something else to look at just as good or better.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got Unfathomable for my birthday, and got a chance to play it this Sunday. It was great!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Considering the Stonemaier edition of Libertalia is likely to be Stonemaier-level overpriced, I'd see about finding a copy of the previous version in the trades, or see what else in that design space appeals to you. I happen to quite like simultaneous selection as a mechanism, and there are a lot of games that have trod that ground. Mission: Red Planet, El Grande, Citadels, Beasty Bar, Nidavellir, Raptor, Campy Creatures...these and many more have played around with that sort of sequence of play that might be more up your alley.

Bottom line, the world of board game design is both iterative and incestuous, so if you can't get ahold of one game, there's probably another one out there that will scratch that itch. Personally I need a few more plays, but I think Nidavellir might have replaced Libertalia for my group.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

El Fideo posted:

Nidavellir might have replaced Libertalia for my group.

This is an amazing recommendation to be quite honest. I'm not sure if it completely replaces Libertalia, but it sure comes close.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

El Fideo posted:

Nidavellir might have replaced Libertalia for my group.

Have you tried the expansion and how is it? I've played base and thought it was a solid drafting/auction game that felt Knizia like, and I have enough store credit to get it for free but didn't know if it was worth adding the expansion on to an order.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

For my group it's more reliably enjoyable than Libertalia, where you can't be sure of characters coming out that actually combo well. Upgrading your coins in Nidavellir is a decent substitute for the variety of characters that Libertalia offers, and I have to respect any auction game that rewards you for taking last place in a bid.

I do think that problem could be fixed pretty easily by letting people take turns declaring characters to go into the hand in the second and third rounds of Libertalia, but the people I play with are allergic to house rules.

ETA: We haven't tried the expansion yet, but that's also available on BoardGameArena, so we will next game night.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Got Unfathomable for my birthday, and got a chance to play it this Sunday. It was great!

Unfathomable is really fantastic. How many players did you have?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I really want to play a refined BSG, but Unfathomable looks really cheap (is it true FFG lost all their art?). Does it feel cheap?

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 3, 2022

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

I really want to play a refined BSG, but Unfathomable looks really cheap (is it true FFG list all their art?). Does it feel cheap?

Honestly, I think FFG losing all their art was a huge boon for Unfathomable. It looks new, fresh, clean. It's a really good design imo

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

CitizenKeen posted:

I really want to play a refined BSG, but Unfathomable looks really cheap (is it true FFG list all their art?). Does it feel cheap?

It does not feel cheap at all. Creatures pouring in from the ocean into your ship and cornering your characters is a fun design.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Yeah I think it looks and plays great, barring the crisis cards looking a bit like placeholders.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm on a boardgamearena kick. So far I've my favourites are Race for the Galaxy, Tash Khalar, Feast for Odin, 7 Wonders Duel and have tried Clans of Caledonia and Tapestry, but found them pretty dry, specially the latter. What are some other good implementations of medium-heavy games, preferably towards the lower player count?

Gaia Project is a given as soon as I re-read the rules.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm on a boardgamearena kick. So far I've my favourites are Race for the Galaxy, Tash Khalar, Feast for Odin, 7 Wonders Duel and have tried Clans of Caledonia and Tapestry, but found them pretty dry, specially the latter. What are some other good implementations of medium-heavy games, preferably towards the lower player count?

Gaia Project is a given as soon as I re-read the rules.

We've been enjoying Beyond the Sun at 2 players, it's not a super fancy implementation but it's a fun game and reasonably quick.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Radioactive Toy posted:

Yeah I think it looks and plays great, barring the crisis cards looking a bit like placeholders.

Yeah, it was definitely a shame that they went from

to

The extra picture isn't necessary, but the cards are pretty dull with basically no art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like suuurre, but Unfathomable is such a thematically tense game without it you don't really need it.

The story comes from the paranoia of who to trust. Really hoping my next game I get to be a fishy boi, as I haven't had a chance to yet