Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sinteres posted:

It's one part of a broader discussion on why the sides view the guarantees differently today, not one weird trick to make guarantees not matter at all. In any case, Yeltsin believed he'd received assurances as well.

It's like a third of the entire tweet thread, if you disagree with it so much idk why you linked that tweet thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's like a third of the entire tweet thread, if you disagree with it so much idk why you linked that tweet thread

I'm not sure what you read, but no it's not. Besides, I don't have to agree with every point raised in a discussion to think it's worth reading.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Maybe Putin's plan is to permanently have Russian troops on the Ukrainian border to create a permanent sense of unease.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sinteres posted:

No, because real progress has been made toward Ukrainian integration in the Western alliance during the crisis.

And why do you suppose that is?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And why do you suppose that is?

If you'd read the whole paragraph you'd know my answer.

Sinteres posted:

No, because real progress has been made toward Ukrainian integration in the Western alliance during the crisis. Putin needs something to show for all of this or he just made the situation worse for no reason. Which may be the end result! I'm not saying he's made good decisions here, just that nobody's making it any easier for him to back down.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/viendzimuma-paru-gimenu-tiesibas-piedava-sargat-ar-civilas-savienibas-likumu.a441739/

So, what’s good on Latvian Twitter?

:suspense:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Is there no end to the enroachment of NATO homonazis?? Time for the Latgalian People's Republic to rise up

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Exactly my point.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://mobile.twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1488844089730781184
Kadyrovtsy being moved towards Ukraine.

Just more bluffing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

Is there no end to the enroachment of NATO homonazis?? Time for the Latgalian People's Republic to rise up

FYI, the deep lore meme here is to proclaim the Latgalian Kingdom. I tell you that as someone Latgalian enough to qualify as native Latgalian speaker.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

FYI, the deep lore meme here is to proclaim the Latgalian Kingdom. I tell you that as someone Latgalian enough to qualify as native Latgalian speaker.

How much does the average person from Daugavpils identify with that?

Lithuania had a sort of a temperature check going on in 2014 where the polish minority around Vilnius was being riled up against the government trying to see how big of an internal crisis can be generated by the example of Donbas. It failed as the minorities in LT are reasonably well integrated, but maybe if gay marriage comes up violent rebellion to secede to Poland will come to the table

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Excuse me this is some Ancient Finnish Empire erasure and the Finno-Korean Hyperwar is a turning point in the history of Europe

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

How much does the average person from Daugavpils identify with that?

Lithuania had a sort of a temperature check going on in 2014 where the polish minority around Vilnius was being riled up against the government trying to see how big of an internal crisis can be generated by the example of Donbas. It failed as the minorities in LT are reasonably well integrated, but maybe if gay marriage comes up violent rebellion to secede to Poland will come to the table

To be clear, the Latgalian Kingdom meme involves biblical flood eradicating non-Latgalians, or Riga at the very least. Context being that we’re like Latvian Scotland/Bavaria, and traditionally refer (with humour) to Latvians elsewhere in Latvia in purely derogatory terms.

Daugavpils is often regarded as a Russian city-state, but that’s mostly an excuse to deprive them of funding, and to discriminate against regional politicians there. In reality, any secession scenarios in Latvia are far fetched, since the secessionable bit is already in Russia (Abrene).

Returning to the topic of Daugavpils, however, it’s nowhere near as Russian as people from elsewhere deem it to be. I have relatives there, and studied there for 3 years, and the most that I can say about it is “a bit more Russian than the rest of Latgale, or Riga”.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

Exactly my point.

We have revised our language to "неминуче"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/wCa2BTq.mp4

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Such bellicose language! I'm appalled by such imperialist rhetoric as "respecting other nations' sovereignty". When will the warmongers just accept that the weak submitting to the strong is the natural order of things?? Is this really acceptable language from the US given the current tensions?

Of course, the "logic" never considers that Russia is, itself, a fundamentally weak country which must submit to Western might. Power is treated as purely kinetic potential, with zero regard for the real economic costs that Russia is clearly unsure it can bear.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Cugel the Clever posted:

Of course, the "logic" never considers that Russia is, itself, a fundamentally weak country which must submit to Western might.

a "fundamentally weak" country that could kill more people than both world wars in a couple of hours. States can be military super powers without being economic powers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/put-your-coffee-down-how-many-millions-people-would-die-nuclear-war-53567

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 3, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

FishBulbia posted:

a "fundamentally weak" country that could kill more people than both world wars in a couple of hours. States can be military super powers without being economic powers.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/put-your-coffee-down-how-many-millions-people-would-die-nuclear-war-53567

lol, a country waving its nuclear umbrella around to assert just how not weak it is just accentuates how fundamentally weak it is. Big "small dick, big gun" energy, especially knowing that using that gun is suicide.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FishBulbia posted:

Laughing that anybody still thinks Russia would go full exchange over Ukraine. Invading is one thing, but they are not going to touch MAD over Ukraine.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

CommieGIR posted:

Laughing that anybody still thinks Russia would go full exchange over Ukraine. Invading is one thing, but they are not going to touch MAD over Ukraine.

But it's pretty ridiculous to say that Russia is "fundamentally weak" when it is like one of the 3 countries that could just end humanity. A good comparison in actually 18th century Prussia. A state only significant because of its coercive capabilities.

Wait til you learn about "escalate to deescalate"

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

If Ukraine survives the current crisis, all they'd have to do is make some conventional long-range ballistic missiles to make Russia seriously reconsider their aggressions. You don't have to erase Moscow to cause serious issues, just be able to hit key targets in it with only 5 minute warning time. And the bonus is Russia is pretty much limited to a conventional response, unless they want a radioactive cloud drifting over their own industrial core. Again.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Orthanc6 posted:

If Ukraine survives the current crisis, all they'd have to do is make some conventional long-range ballistic missiles to make Russia seriously reconsider their aggressions.

I think you're describing part of why Russia has an incentive to do what they can now.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

But it's pretty ridiculous to say that Russia is "fundamentally weak" when it is like one of the 3 countries that could just end humanity. A good comparison in actually 18th century Prussia. A state only significant because of its coercive capabilities.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orthanc6 posted:

If Ukraine survives the current crisis, all they'd have to do is make some conventional long-range ballistic missiles to make Russia seriously reconsider their aggressions. You don't have to erase Moscow to cause serious issues, just be able to hit key targets in it with only 5 minute warning time. And the bonus is Russia is pretty much limited to a conventional response, unless they want a radioactive cloud drifting over their own industrial core. Again.

Russia has long range conventional missiles of its own. And more of them.

But please, continue to fantasise about why the dirtbag nazi country deserves to hold Russia hostage by placing missiles along its border aimed at them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

No, I think they do. There is a reason why Ukraine isn't in NATO.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's cool how Russia can simultaneously be a pitifully weak country and also this scary monster that needs to be contained by a continually expanding transatlantic alliance. Unless you're American or (maybe) Chinese you have a pretty weird perspective if you're calling Russia weak militarily, even leaving nukes out of it entirely.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This is actually hilarious but unfortunately they do know he can

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Regarde Aduck posted:

But please, continue to fantasise about why the dirtbag nazi country deserves to hold Russia hostage by placing missiles along its border aimed at them.

Putin's the bad neighbor here. How many Iskanders does he have on his border pointed at Ukraine right now?

and the "dirtbag nazi country" is surprisingly tolerant compared to some in the region

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Regarde Aduck posted:

When people were trying to identify what discourse crosses the line in this thread, the disgusting tankie bullshit of reducing the countries between Germany and Russia into caricatures of racist (:ironicat:)unwashed white savages deserving of Russian abuse (nay, perhaps only controllable by it) is definitely so over the line that it's drat near occupying Kiev.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

No, I think they do. There is a reason why Ukraine isn't in NATO.
The point of the meme is that everyone in the room is well aware the self-pitying weirdo in the corner is exactly that, despite their internal protestations about how grand they are. Everyone else is just trying to have a good time and would actively welcome them if they weren't constantly being an rear end in a top hat to everyone.

Sinteres posted:

It's cool how Russia can simultaneously be a pitifully weak country and also this scary monster that needs to be contained by a continually expanding transatlantic alliance. Unless you're American or (maybe) Chinese you have a pretty weird perspective if you're calling Russia weak militarily, even leaving nukes out of it entirely.
It's almost like strength is a spectrum instead of a "have" or "have not"! Russia is a fundamentally weak country relative to what it wants to present itself as on the global stage (and, especially, to its domestic audience) and so much of the last decade has been spent on performative displays of Russia desperately clinging to its former status as a global power. It also explains why Putin needs to keep throwing these tantrums: if he had the power he wants everyone to believe he has, either Ukraine would welcome its overlord with open arms or he'd just take what he wanted without all this "will they/won't they" fanfare.

That fundamental weakness does not mean it's incapable of hurting a fuckton of innocent people in an effort to demonstrate its strength by preying on countries weaker still than it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Orthanc6 posted:

Yes I am sure it's a fantastic idea to launch long range ballistic missiles at Moscow. Please don't nuke us, they're just boring old conventional warheads - we promise!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I am going to double post just to reiterate how awful of an idea "throw some conventional ballistic missile warheads at Moscow" is, especially when you could accomplish basically the same thing with small drones launching strikes on Russian targets without daring Russia to nuke you before they find out if your ballistic missile warheads are nuclear or not.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Cugel the Clever posted:

That fundamental weakness does not mean it's incapable of hurting a fuckton of innocent people in an effort to demonstrate its strength by preying on countries weaker still than it.

Which is about 190 countries, including all of Eurasia besides China and India.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Flavahbeast posted:

Putin's the bad neighbor here. How many Iskanders does he have on his border pointed at Ukraine right now?

and the "dirtbag nazi country" is surprisingly tolerant compared to some in the region

I think this was the same poll that found that like 24% of Russians don't want Chechens as citizens...

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

Wait til you learn about "escalate to deescalate"

When someone says, "fundamentally weak", what they mean is that they are weak in their foundations. One can hardly point at the Russian economy and most Russian institutions as being anything but weak. Nukes don't pave roads and tamp down corruption. Putin is doing all of this (including what I think will be a probable invasion) because the state that he has built cannot or will not deal with the foundational issues facing Russians today.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

FishBulbia posted:

I think this was the same poll that found that like 24% of Russians don't want Chechens as citizens...

I don't think theres anything about Chechens in it, I took it from this poll: https://www.pewforum.org/2017/05/10/religious-belief-and-national-belonging-in-central-and-eastern-europe/

(full PDF: https://www.pewforum.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2017/05/CEUP-FULL-REPORT.pdf )

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm sad that Turkey wasn't included since they're partially in Eastern Europe too.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Giggle Goose posted:

When someone says, "fundamentally weak", what they mean is that they are weak in their foundations. One can hardly point at the Russian economy and most Russian institutions as being anything but weak. Nukes don't pave roads and tamp down corruption. Putin is doing all of this (including what I think will be a probable invasion) because the state that he has built cannot or will not deal with the foundational issues facing Russians today.
Very much this. Again, Putin embodies "small dick, big gun" energy and has billions of dollars to burnish that self-evidently laughable shirtless strongman look. Like Putin, your average incel is a pathetic SOB and their aspiration to and tragic performance of mass murder is a desperate attempt to convince themselves and others of their superiority.

Ability to murder ≠ strength.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ability to murder ≠ strength.

this is good to know, surely then ukraine can easily win a war with russia. they should invade ASAP to put an end to this charade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

"They don't know I put Polonium in the tea"