Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Link is the textbook case for keeping silent protags silent but just about every well-told story that stars one does so in spite of that choice rather than because of it.

From personal experience I find it's a lot easier to put myself into the shoes of someone with a personality instead of existing as a conspicuous cipher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

How does FF7R's story feel for someone who has never experienced FF7?

I'm very familiar with FF7, but my wife is not.

My friend's wife (never played any FF) watched her play it and enjoyed it a lot. She totally lost her poo poo at the part where it cuts away to loving Cait Sith reacting to the plate falling though

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cleretic posted:

I like silent protagonists because chances are fairly low that I disagree with or dislike any aspect of their personality. It really sucks when that happens, because it basically kills the entire story for me.

Link's probably not a jackass, and so I'm unlikely to turn away from a Zelda game because of him.

Genuine question, why is only being able to play as Link, a dude, not a dealbreaker for you in the same way that Noct+bros, Jack, or Clive are?

I'm really not trying to get in a sick burn or anything here, and I'd appreciate it if nobody else takes it as an invitation.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
We're in February now, there haven't been any updates about FF6PR, have there?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

My friend's wife (never played any FF) watched her play it and enjoyed it a lot. She totally lost her poo poo at the part where it cuts away to loving Cait Sith reacting to the plate falling though

lol that part owned cait sith ftw

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol that part owned cait sith ftw

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cleretic posted:

Link's probably not a jackass

You didn't play Breath of the Wild, did you? Link is an incredible jackass in that game, doing things like pretending to be a woman so he can take a guy's stuff, asking Paya where her embarrassing birthmark is, and there's even a sidequest where you ask an innkeeper personal questions to help a skeevy dude who stands around ogling women all day to get a date with her.

And that's not even getting into the DiC cartoon!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
EDIT: I didn't do a lot of those quests you talk about (I don't like BotW for other reasons), so to me BotW Link is mostly just a dipshit who eats rocks.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Genuine question, why is only being able to play as Link, a dude, not a dealbreaker for you in the same way that Noct+bros, Jack, or Clive are?

I'm really not trying to get in a sick burn or anything here, and I'd appreciate it if nobody else takes it as an invitation.

It's a good question, and I would say that the difference isn't so much the character themselves as the story around them. I've realized I don't want certain stories in my life anymore, and while 'playable woman' isn't the be-all-end-all defining thing, there's games that need to take that step to give me any confidence in them.

FFXV and Stranger in Paradise are off-puttingly masculine for me. Stranger in a very overt way, XV more subtly (but not much more, thanks Sydney). It's an energy I really hate and just don't want to play another game in. 'I want to play as a woman' isn't so much an ultimatum as it is a single, simple demand to show that a game isn't doing that. And a very easy one to make here, too, since every mainline Final Fantasy game before XV has cleared that bar.

Zelda doesn't really need to bother, because while it's far from the most progressive game, it's never really felt heavily masculine to any defining degree. Maybe that's because it's literally named after a female character, but I can't think of a Zelda game beyond, like, the NES that doesn't feature women at least reasonably prominently, and often not in the damsel role (at least not entirely). Similarly, I've been loving SMTV, but I wasn't pissed off that the protagonist was a guy because... honestly, look at that design and tell me with a straight face that the story will have problems with toxic masculinity.

There are other games I'd make that demand of before I'd consider playing them, but you don't know about them because I don't really discuss why I don't play GTA. But certain recent Final Fantasy games it comes up about, because it's burned me before and I otherwise really enjoy Final Fantasy.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 3, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have never felt more manly than when I was playing Final Fantasy XV, a game that is way, way more popular among women than men and features not one, not two, but 4 hunks on the cover.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The replaced Bam with Link for Jackass forever

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Is FFXV an example of toxic masculinity" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Small White Dragon posted:

No and frankly I am quite upset

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FFXV is positive masculinity because it's a bunch of bros on a road trip and they spend half the time talking about their feelings and cooking each other meals and taking group photos

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

FFXV is positive masculinity because it's a bunch of bros on a road trip and they spend half the time talking about their feelings and cooking each other meals and taking group photos

Yeah, I still don't really want another FFXV. Again; not a story I want in my life anymore.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: reread the last couple posts, nevermind

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 3, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Small White Dragon posted:

Was there no mention about it being about three weeks away from now?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I still don't really want another FFXV. Again; not a story I want in my life anymore.

Sometimes a game is not for you and it's OKAY

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

You have made this abundantly clear throughout this thread; I was speaking to the room.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Frionnel posted:

Sometimes a game is not for you and it's OKAY

Exactly. But I like when stories are for me, so when we're in borderline territory I like to check if it might be.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thank you for the advice on not trying to 100% FFX-2, everyone

I feel like a game like this is gonna have a bunch of missable jobs and other essentials, so I should probably check a guide anyway though

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

aren't u intended to 100% x-2 over 2 runs anyways? its prob a bad idea to do it w/o NG+

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Thank you for the advice on not trying to 100% FFX-2, everyone

I feel like a game like this is gonna have a bunch of missable jobs and other essentials, so I should probably check a guide anyway though

It couldn't hurt and getting all the dresspheres isn't as painful if you're playing the HD version since the hardest one to get can be gotten through the monster catching thing they added.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/click_burgundy/status/1488867050772738057

e: lol twitter cropping

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress is the tone this game is going for. Cyan watches his kingdom and family die, gets a death wish, get's over it with a trip on the Galactic Railroad, then tricks a feral boy into helping us, while Sabine breaks the fourth wall?

What was with that ghost dude on the train, was possession an instakill or somthing, I couldn't figure out his deal

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Paine ftw

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

What the gently caress is the tone this game is going for.

A Final Fantasy tone. The lighthearted goofiness mixed in with both serious and over-the-top bombastic moments is one of the core elements of the series, really. Even FFXII - probably the most po-faced of the bunch by far - has you fighting killer tomatoes and yelling about Basch fon Ronsenberg to fill up a meter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I guess it's more noticeable with VI, because it mostly focuses its 'joke stuff' around specific characters rather than story segments. Gau, Ultros and Mog are always pretty comedic, so you can practically see the joke content coming because of them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I guess it's more noticeable with VI, because it mostly focuses its 'joke stuff' around specific characters rather than story segments. Gau, Ultros and Mog are always pretty comedic, so you can practically see the joke content coming because of them.

Personally, I think FFVI is just too frontloaded with comedy and makes everything schizophrenic. You mention certain characters being silly and heralding comedic relief, but where Gaius is just now is "Cyan's arc." Cyan is not a comedic character.

And yet:

1. His wife and child and everyone else he knows is murdered.

2. We then immediately get on board a SPOOKY GHOST TRAIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJJ1Rb4nARA

Accompanying this cheesy, Halloween B-Movie theme is all sorts of goofiness like that swordsmen and Sabin demanding ghost food like he's 5. I think also our heroes damned a bunch of souls to never reach the afterlife given we disconnected those train cars.

3. After this long theater of the absurd, Cyan sees his murdered wife and child heading off the afterlife on the previously 100% ridiculous ghost train and we have a whole scene where Sabin just leaves him alone in somber silence.

The game absolutely cannot make up its mind on what it wants until much later. By way of contrast, imagine immediately after the Sector 7 plate is dropped in OG FFVII something equally ludicrous as the Ghost Train segment happened. After all, the poisoning and mass death of everyone in the castle is roughly comparable. That does not happen, the death of our friends and Aerith's abduction is treated with appropriate gravitas.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 3, 2022

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Up until like last year I always thought that Paine was just Lulu but in an edgy costume.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As opposed to Lulu's costume, which is famously not edgy at all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Consider that in FFVII there's like thirty minutes between aerith's death and the snowboarding minigame

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the ghost train theme rocks and is tonally perfect. some of you need jesus. also every plot beat in these games took 20% longer when they came out because you were a dumb kid and not a pro gamer

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Personally, I think FFVI is just too frontloaded with comedy and makes everything schizophrenic. You mention certain characters being silly and heralding comedic relief, but where Gaius is just now is "Cyan's arc." Cyan is not a comedic character.

And yet:

Accompanying this cheesy, Halloween B-Movie theme is all sorts of goofiness like that swordsmen and Sabin demanding ghost food like he's 5. I think also our heroes damned a bunch of souls to never reach the afterlife given we disconnected those train cars.

3. After this long theater of the absurd, Cyan sees his murdered wife and child heading off the afterlife on the previously 100% ridiculous ghost train and we have a whole scene where Sabin just leaves him alone in somber silence.

The game absolutely cannot make up its mind on what it wants until much later. By way of contrast, imagine immediately after the Sector 7 plate is dropped in OG FFVII something equally ludicrous as the Ghost Train segment happened. After all, the poisoning and mass death of everyone in the castle is roughly comparable. That does not happen, the death of our friends and Aerith's abduction is treated with appropriate gravitas.

Immediately after getting game's goofiest character in a silly contrivance where he forces his way into your party, you get dumped into a hellzone prison where Barret finds the father of his adopted daughter and is forced to confront the sins of his past then kill the man he'd call brother.

You kick off disc 2 and celebrate Aeris' death with a wacky Turk encounter where you can send their new rookie sliding down a mountain on her bum for comedically whiffing a punch, followed by a rad snowboarding segment.

FF7 is not the game you want to use in comparison to this.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Blockhouse posted:

Consider that in FFVII there's like thirty minutes between aerith's death and the snowboarding minigame

If you know a better way of getting over a close friends death than a sweet snowboarding trip, I'd like to hear it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

NikkolasKing posted:

After all, the poisoning and mass death of everyone in the castle is roughly comparable. That does not happen, the death of our friends and Aerith's abduction is treated with appropriate gravitas.

People already pointed out why this is dumb wrt Aerith's death -> snowboarding/etc but in regards to this specific example about 30 minutes after this you're either slogging your way up 59 flights while Tifa tells Barret to stop acting like a retard or you're attempting to barter at gunpoint with a terrified Shinra gift shop employee after murdering a bunch of his co-workers

EDIT: There's also that amazing scene at the Temple of Ancients where Cloud has a psychotic break and just beats the poo poo out of Aerith and then Cait Sith rolls up and goes "Howdy guys it's me Cait Sith 2!" :laffo:

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 3, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

And yet:

Uh, I don't know if you remember FF7 but right after Sector 7 you have the climb up the Shiny Golden Wire Of Hope followed by the Shinra building which is 95% silly minigames and puzzles and weird jokes.

Also this is true of basically every Final Fantasy game. That is in fact part of the appeal that the game is frequently funny as often as it is serious. The most serious mainline game is probably 13 and they veered incredibly hard in the opposite direction for its sequels and 13 *still* has a scene where a man with a chocobo in his afro gets his kickin' rad new car and then prepares to shoot himself in the face.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 3, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FF4 has you genocide a village and then go on a friendly romp with the survivor after like 15 minutes

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mr. Locke posted:

Immediately after getting game's goofiest character in a silly contrivance where he forces his way into your party, you get dumped into a hellzone prison where Barret finds the father of his adopted daughter and is forced to confront the sins of his past then kill the man he'd call brother.

And then immediately after that, Chocobo Racing! With a wacky guitar chocobo music track that even has someone saying YEEHAW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of which I think I might play chocobo gp