Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So you're saying it gets worse

I hate Doctor Who too so I just sort of recognized that it happened, I can't help but like Peter Capaldi though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The Suicide Squad is weird because if anything like it came out even 6-8 years ago it would've probably been heralded as an incredibly fresh take on the genre, but with such a big oversaturation of evil superheroes, funny superheroes, meta superheroes, and funny evil meta superheroes it just feels very perfunctory. Like, it fixed all the obvious glaring problems with the first film but also doesn't really stand out other than that, despite all the little James Gunn touches. Sucks!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

The Suicide Squad is weird because if anything like it came out even 6-8 years ago it would've probably been heralded as an incredibly fresh take on the genre, but with such a big oversaturation of evil superheroes, funny superheroes, meta superheroes, and funny evil meta superheroes it just feels very perfunctory. Like, it fixed all the obvious glaring problems with the first film but also doesn't really stand out other than that, despite all the little James Gunn touches. Sucks!

I think that's really the issue more than anything else though. James Gunn has a very specific style and we're at the point where we've seen that style a bunch of times and it's not fresh or novel anymore, especially when it's applied to the superhero genre.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Basebf555 posted:

I think that's really the issue more than anything else though. James Gunn has a very specific style and we're at the point where we've seen that style a bunch of times and it's not fresh or novel anymore, especially when it's applied to the superhero genre.

The solution to this is a bunch of 60-80 million dollar movies for people who will never tire of the style (me), with maybe a couple of tentpoles for everyone else.

There's absolutely no reason why we can't have a Universal Soldier/Resident Evil style universe of mid-tier super hero movies that do a particular niche style reliably well.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
It's like Punisher War Zone years after the fact. On one level it's refreshing that superhero movies with such limitless brutality that they give me ptsd still exist, but it's also a mess.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It gets bonus points for having a really fun boss battle.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Inspector Hound posted:

I hate Doctor Who too so I just sort of recognized that it happened, I can't help but like Peter Capaldi though

I watched Doctor Who from Eccleston to the middle if Capaldi's run before I realized it sucked. I have no excuse. It was the first British show I ever watched, so I guess I thought it was supposed to be lovely.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I watched Doctor Who from Eccleston to the middle if Capaldi's run before I realized it sucked. I have no excuse. It was the first British show I ever watched, so I guess I thought it was supposed to be lovely.

Doctor Who has its moments, but the older series was better.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Starks posted:

Don't Look Up is a weird movie, there's a lot of half-baked stuff in there. Both relationship sub plots go nowhere, Chalamet is completely wasted, the president is actually like 3 different characters, etc etc. It could've been funny but it needed more time in the oven IMO. The best joke in the movie is the general charging for snacks and they recycle it like 6 times.

Still the best Chalamet film all year

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hell yeah Pump Up the Volume got added to HBO. stone classic.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
The scene is The Suicide Squad where they discuss what dog breed Weasel is made me laugh harder than anything else in 2021 and it also gave us Peacemaker; for those reasons alone it’s a 10/10.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tokelau All Star posted:

I've seen pretty much all of it, I live with a die hard fan but I won't be stockholmed

e I haven't watched Peacemaker yet, but I hate him so much from the movie I'm not sure how much fun I'll have watching it

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

precision posted:

OH my God just put it in my veins.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I've seen pretty much all of it, I live with a die hard fan but I won't be stockholmed

e I haven't watched Peacemaker yet, but I hate him so much from the movie I'm not sure how much fun I'll have watching it

He's a lot more palatable in the show. The show doesn't feel much like a superhero show - it's more like an incredibly violent stoner-comedy.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Inspector Hound posted:

Peacemaker loving owns and John Cena is very likeable and also funny, imo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just finished Veep.

Being honest, I'm a bit surprised that the series as a whole is so highly regarded.

I mean after the mediocre first season, the series becomes very good. However, the last two seasons or so the show gradually becomes...stupid. Everyone starts undergoing extreme flanderization.

Selena goes from being highly self-absorbed to full on sociopath to an absolute monster. Mike goes from being a competent staffer who occasionally is slow to make quick decisions, to arguably the most incompetent person in the show, to the point that even his adopted daughter frequently jabs him like a sitcom character. Catherine goes from being an agreeable but naïve college girl, to a snowflake caricature. Jonah goes from being the annoying guy in the office who is underqualified for the job, to being tall/skinny Peter Griffin. And the situations they find themselves in become more and more bizarre, such as the asylum tunnel escape.

I understand the messages the show was trying to say. Selena was so obsessed the presidency that she lost her friends, family, and herself in the process. And that if she would have just followed her principles in the first episode, she would have achieved more in her first vice president term than during her presidency.

That said, I feel that some of the shows intended messages fall flat (unless I am suppose to feel the way I feel):

- Jonah Ryan is obviously suppose to be a stand in for Trump. He's suppose to show how voters are easily suckered in to voting for completely nitwits and those who have borderline mental illness. Everyone was appalled when Selena picked him as the VP. But being honest...is he really that much worse than anyone else, let alone Selena? Sure Jonah is incredibly narcissistic and stupid, but everyone else is a sociopath and a careerist to the worst degree. At least Jonah actually believes in some things, even if they are stupid. The choice is simply would you rather have someone who will destroy the country if elected or sabotage it? The answer is it doesn't matter much.

- While Richard is the stand in of being "the only good person in Washington", it's amusing to even consider that he would make it to the presidency. Washington is shown to be a soulless place where only the most ruthless, cold, and calculating survive. Richard being a principled boy scout would never make it in the land of Veep. He's shown to make it as far as he has most on luck (replace dog for mayor --> rescue people from fire he just happened to pass by --> lt. governor --> governor dies so he gets the job). Veep paints world where it's impossible to be anywhere near the top unless you sacrifice almost all, if not all, of your principles. Norway being the only exception.

Overall, Veep was enjoyable and I was hooked through much of it, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus is fantastic in it. But I feel that the series just doesn't stick the landing.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

precision posted:

Awesome. It's the sort of teen / YA movie that couldn't get made today

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Murderville on Netflix is a pretty funny improv/murder mystery-thing. Every episode has a guest star that hasn't read the script and they have to roll with the "investigation" and try to pick out the murderer at the end.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Sometimes a movie feels super evocative by focusing on a sensory experience, like a close shot of someone's hand sifting through soil. I didn't expect The Suicide Squad of all things to slow down for a moment like that, so the blown-out daytime rain sequence was surprising. It's one of the few scenes from the last few years I find myself randomly thinking about.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Overall, Veep was enjoyable and I was hooked through much of it, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus is fantastic in it. But I feel that the series just doesn't stick the landing.

To me the biggest disappointment was not finding a better payoff for the Labor Day thing they set up. It turns out to be a boat? She looks like she's going to cry when she brings it up a season or two earlier and it's a boat??

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sock The Great posted:

The scene is The Suicide Squad where they discuss what dog breed Weasel is made me laugh harder than anything else in 2021 and it also gave us Peacemaker; for those reasons alone it’s a 10/10.

It's the exact same joke that they made about Rocket Raccoon in GotG and Avengers.

Edit:

Here's maybe a not so hot take about Encanto on Disney+. While I absolutely love the movie and it had me grinning from ear to ear from start to finish, one thing that bothers me is that, despite all their efforts to show what a loving family this is, in reality they're pretty incredibly emotionally abusive. They talk about what a gift each person's special powers is, and then when it comes to Bruno and Mirabel, they're a curse to the family. Not the manipulative Tia Pepa who forces everyone to be at her every beck and call lest she cause a thunderstorm in the living room, or the emotionally cold and withholding grandmother who treats you like poo poo and that you don't exist if you don't have powers or less than becoming powers. It takes the threat of everyone losing their powers before they learn the lesson not to treat their family like poo poo. It's kind of depressing in some ways.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 3, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So Netflix is 20 bucks a month now huh?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

It's the exact same joke that they made about Rocket Raccoon in GotG and Avengers.

Edit:

Here's maybe a not so hot take about Encanto on Disney+. While I absolutely love the movie and it had me grinning from ear to ear from start to finish, one thing that bothers me is that, despite all their efforts to show what a loving family this is, in reality they're pretty incredibly emotionally abusive. They talk about what a gift each person's special powers is, and then when it comes to Bruno and Mirabel, they're a curse to the family. Not the manipulative Tia Pepa who forces everyone to be at her every beck and call lest she cause a thunderstorm in the living room, or the emotionally cold and withholding grandmother who treats you like poo poo and that you don't exist if you don't have powers or less than becoming powers. It takes the threat of everyone losing their powers before they learn the lesson not to treat their family like poo poo. It's kind of depressing in some ways.

And this is why I think Encanto sucks. I also hate the songs, but I know I'm the only person on earth who does so I won't defend that hill too vigorously.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

And this is why I think Encanto sucks. I also hate the songs, but I know I'm the only person on earth who does so I won't defend that hill too vigorously.

I had the same reaction. The story itself felt very half baked to be and the music was so generic LMM, I was not a fan.

I watched a few episodes of the Kristen bell show last night and it was very weird, idk what to make of it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I like Encanto and the music... but understand it's a matter of taste.

But the story... man that was not my take on it at all. The gifts they receive aren't their choice. They're born with them. The idea is that they all seem like a blessing at first, but in reality - as we discover - they are all struggling to deal with the "gift" and what it does to their life. It's not always a blessing. They aren't terrible people. They're just struggling with what they have and what people perceive of them and any standards they must uphold because of that. It seemed to be a pretty basic "love your family for their individual oddities rather than trying to expect so much of them" story. I don't think it was more complicated than that.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Pingiivi posted:

Murderville on Netflix is a pretty funny improv/murder mystery-thing. Every episode has a guest star that hasn't read the script and they have to roll with the "investigation" and try to pick out the murderer at the end.

It gets better every episode, I'm loving it so far.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The response to Murderville does seem to be polarised between those who are fans of the original Murder in Successville, and those coming fresh to it. The latter like it, while the criticism from the former is that it lacks Successville's charm. Instead of actors and comedians, Successville used a more b/c list celebs who were more likely to be out of their depth. Marshawn Lynch is probably closest in spirit to the guest stars of Successville. Other other big element dropped is instead of generic situations, the show existed in a town of celebrities portrayed by half-hearted impressions (so an actress in a bad wig plays pathologist Lana Del Rey).

The show definitely has it's funny moments. It's strongest when the guest star has room to wander off script and not too tightly walked between script points.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I know we just got off of "lol Netflix isn't making anything good" chat but here's their 2022 Movie Preview and seems pretty fun to me (and this is just movies, not shows)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTI6T5M8Fj0

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

BonoMan posted:

I know we just got off of "lol Netflix isn't making anything good" chat but here's their 2022 Movie Preview and seems pretty fun to me (and this is just movies, not shows)

There’s your price increase direct to video.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

The response to Murderville does seem to be polarised between those who are fans of the original Murder in Successville, and those coming fresh to it. The latter like it, while the criticism from the former is that it lacks Successville's charm. Instead of actors and comedians, Successville used a more b/c list celebs who were more likely to be out of their depth. Marshawn Lynch is probably closest in spirit to the guest stars of Successville. Other other big element dropped is instead of generic situations, the show existed in a town of celebrities portrayed by half-hearted impressions (so an actress in a bad wig plays pathologist Lana Del Rey).

The show definitely has it's funny moments. It's strongest when the guest star has room to wander off script and not too tightly walked between script points.
Its going to be hard to top Tom Davis clearly being Harry du Bois. Or sending Jamie Laing undercover and trying to convince One Direction that hes undercover with the line "I'm a crime lorry that turns into a crime robot; I am Optimus Crime"

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

BonoMan posted:

Hey we got a Guillermo Del Toro movie out of it at least.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m on board but kinda loling at them shooting Netflix ads in the middle of filming their movie scenes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m on board but kinda loling at them shooting Netflix ads in the middle of filming their movie scenes

HAhahahahah I had the exact same thought. "Okay Chris, that was great, we just need to do one more take..."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A MIRACLE posted:

It's, like, Peak Netflix. So indicative of what they want to do.

which is control it all

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Finished Station Eleven. It was quite nice. Deep topics of humanity and loss without ever getting cloying or pretentious. Well, never too pretentious. Very very good stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
when they said google was evil, i said lol
when they said facebook was evil, i said lmao
when they said netflix was evil, i had nothing left to roflmao about

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

precision posted:

when they said google was evil, i said lol
when they said facebook was evil, i said lmao
when they said netflix was evil, i had nothing left to roflmao about

Too long for thread title?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Finished Station Eleven. It was quite nice. Deep topics of humanity and loss without ever getting cloying or pretentious. Well, never too pretentious. Very very good stuff.

"So... pretentious!!"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The Cloudbotherer, surrounded by insane vulgarity, makes me crack up every time.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Netflix is doing their thing for sure, but it's mostly a bunch of poo poo I don't care about.