Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
This is edging into likely to get scammed territory but you might be able to find some eternal Hodler to sell it to for dirty fiat. It is not ideal but goddamn they make it hard to hit the eject button on buttcoins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Shageletic posted:

I just read a thing saying that drug dealers actually file their income to the IRS, and just elect to not identy themselves, just to not get the IRS on their rear end.

Nope! Metamask says I would need to add more. I just get this screen.

I'm prob missing something really obvious

I see your problem can you please mail support@mrtamask-hrlp-online.com to connect with one of our 24/7 agents

EDIT: But seriously can't you just send it to an exchange that supports Tether and trade it for USD. I don't think you need to swap

novamute fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 3, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shageletic posted:

you are, yes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Shageletic posted:

transaction fees are only denominated in eth, you can't pay them with tokens like tether that are implemented on top of the eth blockchain
so your tethers are stuck in that wallet until you spend some realmoney on depositing ethereum to the same address to pay fees with.
.037 eth is about a $100 transaction fee, so you would actually need to put $200+ in, since you also pay a tx fee when transfering to your wallet. fees vary hugely up and down in unpredictable ways so you should probably overestimate, but maybe if you wait a few weeks they'll go back to $30 or 5 cents or whatever at the whims of the market

you shouldn't be doing whatever thing you're doing though. (swapping with a DEX of some sort?) if you want to buy and sell buttcoins in a non-insane way, the first thing you do is register an account on an exchange that does all the buying/selling on an internal regular-rear end-database with no blockchain touching, otherwise you'll see those $100 transaction fees everywhere. you will only pay one tx fee (to deposit the money into your account), and sell for usd in the exchange's non-blockchain-based marketplace before withdrawing to your bank account

i don't know which exchanges are currently not shady scams, but don't trust just anything because some of them will jerk you around for a year demanding different kyc documents just to avoid paying out realmoney to your account

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 3, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
to be clear, the thing you're missing is that you already got scammed, your bonus doesn't exist, and any amount of time you spend trying to convert internet funbux into actual money is throwing good after bad.

i know it seems like something you can just do and get actual real dollars out, but it's not. you are wasting your time, potentially real money, and risking getting your identity stolen as well

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

transaction fees are only denominated in eth, you can't pay them with tokens like tether that are implemented on top of the eth blockchain
so your tethers are stuck in that wallet until you spend some realmoney on depositing ethereum to the same address to pay fees with.
.037 eth is about a $100 transaction fee, so you would actually need to put $200+ in, since you also pay a tx fee when transfering to your wallet. but fees vary hugely up and down in unpredictable ways iirc so you should probably overestimate

you shouldn't be doing whatever thing you're doing though. (swapping with a DEX of some sort?) if you want to buy and sell buttcoins in a non-insane way, the first thing you do is register an account on an exchange that does all the buying/selling on an internal regular-rear end-database with no blockchain touching, otherwise you'll see those $100 transaction fees everywhere. you will only pay one tx fee (to deposit the money into your account), and sell for usd in the exchange's non-blockchain-based marketplace before withdrawing to your bank account

i don't know which exchanges are currently not shady scams, but don't trust just anything because some of them will jerk you around for a year demanding different kyc documents just to avoid paying out realmoney to your account

I just want to trade it into dollars, someone sent me it for work I should have gotten in dollars. I already registered in Gemini, is that enough? Just trying to figure out the simplest way.

infernal machines posted:

to be clear, the thing you're missing is you already got scammed, your bonus doesn't exist, and any amount of time you spend trying to convert internet funbux into actual money is throwing good after bad.

i know it seems like something you can just do and get actual real dollars out, but it's not. you are wasting your time, potentially real money, and risking getting your identity stolen as well

lol. I'm just afraid of getting taxed on it, hence my urge to trade it into dollars and just send over to the IRS.

novamute posted:

I see your problem can you please mail support@mrtamask-hrlp-online.com to connect with one of our 24/7 agents

EDIT: But seriously can't you just send it to an exchange that supports Tether and trade it for USD. I don't think you need to swap

That's an idea. I can try registering on Binance or something.

This is so annoying!

02B6C4
Sep 19, 2021
i signed up for crypto.com to see if they would let me close the account. they asked me to take a photo holding a piece of paper with my name on it.

it was rejected. i didn't have enough of my own arm in the photo to confirm i was holding the paper.

i have an account until they keel over i guess.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shageletic posted:

lol. I'm just afraid of getting taxed on it, hence my urge to trade it into dollars and just send over to the IRS.

don't even acknowledge receipt of it, and find some way to return it to your employer.

the actual value of 1500 USTD is $0 USD, so you will be further ahead outright refusing this, because at least you won't have your identity being sold on some moldovan crime bbs

Shageletic posted:

I just want to trade it into dollars, someone sent me it for work I should have gotten in dollars. I already registered in Gemini, is that enough? Just trying to figure out the simplest way.

there is no simplest way. everything you do will be a waste of time and potentially real money, and at the end you will have less than you put in to show for it.

i am not kidding.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

.037 eth is about a $100 transaction fee, so you would actually need to put $200+ in, since you also pay a tx fee when transfering to your wallet. but fees vary hugely up and down in unpredictable ways iirc so you should probably overestimate

Oh right. You'll still need ETH even to transfer it to an exchange

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

i dont think the irs will give a poo poo about $1500 in fake money that hasn't moved and you (otherwise) havent touched. if you exchange it for other shitcoins or transfer it to an exchange/bank account then the irs might care

Shageletic posted:

I just want to trade it into dollars, someone sent me it for work I should have gotten in dollars.

then you shouldve gotten it in dollars. you got paid in magic beans

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
of all the loving dumb bullshit coins and scams out there to receive as a joke gift, id rather take baby elon doge a shotgun to the mouth coin over tether lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

do you see this?

i know it seem like you're out 1500 of something comparable to dollars, but to be absolutely crystal clear, you are likely to wind up out a lot more than that no matter how careful and well researched your choices. everything, every single thing in this ecosystem is a scam built atop scams. it is literally scams all the way down.

you have already been scammed once and it's not likely to improve from there.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This is so poo poo, lmao.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you best bet is to sell the wallet key to some random off craigslist for cash and hope you don't get stabbed in an arby's parking lot

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Shageletic posted:

unfortunately it's impossible to trade or sell if you can't pay the transaction fees to send it anywhere
so whatever exchange you pick, you will have to spend your own money buying MORE ether just to pay tx fees before you can deposit the tethers anywhere

whatever you do you shouldn't be "swapping" your tethers for eth, you should just be depositing them in an exchange account. once they're in an exchange instead of a wallet you should be able to sell them for usd without paying constant transaction fees because you're not touching a blockchain.

i don't know how scummy or non-scummy gemini is but it appears they do at least allow withdrawing directly to a us bank account. did they already ask for all the kyc info like passport id stuff when you registered? they are required to have that info to do banking poo poo for Americans and touch real USD, but if they're one of the scummier companies they'll wait until the last second and only spring it on you when you're trying to withdraw money

quote:

iirc you only generate a taxable event when you buy or sell cryptocurrencies, including swapping them for other currencies like eth
so if you DO sell or swap it you will owe a tax bill and need to fill out the special bitcoin form or whatever, but if you just let it sit there forever you should have no issue

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

don't even acknowledge receipt of it, and find some way to return it to your employer.

the actual value of 1500 USTD is $0 USD, so you will be further ahead outright refusing this, because at least you won't have your identity being sold on some moldovan crime bbs

there is no simplest way. everything you do will be a waste of time and potentially real money, and at the end you will have less than you put in to show for it.

i am not kidding.

Ha, I guess I'll leave it alone. loving

Zamujasa posted:

i dont think the irs will give a poo poo about $1500 in fake money that hasn't moved and you (otherwise) havent touched. if you exchange it for other shitcoins or transfer it to an exchange/bank account then the irs might care

then you shouldve gotten it in dollars. you got paid in magic beans

I mean I wish I did! I'll try to avoid this in the future, but I never asked for it.

do you see this?

i know it seem like you're out 1500 of something comparable to dollars, but to be absolutely crystal clear, you are likely to wind up out a lot more than that no matter how careful and well researched your choices. everything, every single thing in this ecosystem is a scam built atop scams. it is literally scams all the way down.

you have already been scammed once and it's not likely to improve from there.

I mean, I guess. Why is so loving stupid

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
paxos is a ~~serious~~ u.s. based exchange that is used by paypal and stuff. you should absolutely not touch anything related to cryptocurrency but i've deposited/withdrawn money there w/o any issue

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I mean, I guess. Why is so loving stupid

it's made by idiots and assholes trying endlessly to get one over on their fellow man. to wit, trying to get someone into crypto by paying them in a denomination they can't possibly use in any fashion without putting in more of their own money to do so

i'm sorry you got paid in this poo poo, that sucks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
your best solution is a human solution:
find one of the cheesebrained true-believer techbros in the company who started/encouraged this whole bonuses-in-tether thing, say "hey i don't really get this poo poo and really don't want to touch the poop, ill give you my 1500 tethers for 1300 real dollars", and let him deal with navigating the ~world of crypto~

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
https://etherscan.io/gastracker

Looks like about $20 now to transfer an ERC20 like Tether and $7 on top to transfer the gas into the address in the first place. If you buy that ETH on an exchange they'll have their own fees.

Being your own bank sure ain't cheap

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/1489068416044396551

edit: that's the wormhole thing

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Debate and/or Discuss.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

it's made by idiots and assholes trying endlessly to get one over on their fellow man. to wit, trying to get someone into crypto by paying them in a denomination they can't possibly use in any fashion without putting in more of their own money to do so

i'm sorry you got paid in this poo poo, that sucks.

Thanks

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

your best solution is a human solution:
find one of the cheesebrained true-believer techbros in the company who started/encouraged this whole bonuses-in-tether thing, say "hey i don't really get this poo poo and really don't want to touch the poop, ill give you my 1500 tethers for 1300 real dollars", and let him deal with navigating the ~world of crypto~

Its actually someone who usually pays me money and I think returning it would offend him? Thereby periling the actual money I do for him otherwise.

novamute posted:

Looks like about $20 now to transfer an ERC20 like Tether and $7 on top to transfer the gas into the address in the first place. If you buy that ETH on an exchange they'll have their own fees.

At this point I wouldn't mind a significant cut on it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Shageletic posted:

I just read a thing saying that drug dealers actually file their income to the IRS, and just elect to not identy themselves, just to not get the IRS on their rear end.

yeah when I was doing a tax course last year there was a field that you'd fill in for income gotten through illegal activity lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you can find a way to trade it to an actual IRL human for cash dollars and not get stabbed, that is by far your safest bet, even if you take a hypothetical loss on it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

.037 eth is about a $100 transaction fee, so you would actually need to put $200+ in, since you also pay a tx fee when transfering to your wallet. fees vary hugely up and down in unpredictable ways so you should probably overestimate, but maybe if you wait a few weeks they'll go back to $30 or 5 cents or whatever at the whims of the market

novamute posted:

NO

FEEEEEEEES

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

if you can find a way to trade it to an actual IRL human for cash dollars and not get stabbed, that is by far your safest bet, even if you take a hypothetical loss on it

although thanks to the magic of no chargebacks (tm) you're quite liable to get chargeback scammed if you try to sell it to a stranger directly (especially an online stranger), and you'll have no way to recover your tethers
once they get your crypto they can cancel the check or reverse the paypal transaction or whatever and you're poo poo outta luck

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

although thanks to the magic of no chargebacks (tm) you're quite liable to get chargeback scammed if you try to sell it to a stranger directly (especially an online stranger), and you'll have no way to recover your tethers
once they get your crypto they can cancel the check or reverse the paypal transaction or whatever and you're poo poo outta luck

there is a reason i wrote "cash dollars"

in god we trust, all others pay cash

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

People here are being overly dramatic. To turn $1,500 tether into like $1,490 U.S. Dollars in a bank account:

(1) Open an account at https://coinbase.com/. It's a very large, very real company with legit banking relationships and tax compliance and etc.

(2) Click "send / receive", receive, change your asset to tether. This will show you the wallet address you need to send the tether to.

You will need some Ether (the unit of account on the Ethereum blockchain) to send tether to pay a transaction fee, since the tether itself can't be used to pay transaction fees. The transaction fee is probably pennies or dollars, not hundreds. You can use your coinbase account to buy the Ether via some supported fiat method, and then send it to your wallet with the tether.

Crypto is horrible but this small transaction is no big deal. You're not going to get scammed, identity thefted, or audited.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Back in my day we literally bought bitcoin by depositing cash into specific bank accounts, taking a picture of a receipt, and emailing it to somebody.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

spend your real money to convert internet funbux to cash, it's easy!

it probably won't even cost you that much, and you can definitely trust this very real legitimate company with high resolution scans of all your identification documents you will need to provide should you wish to extract the cash to an actual bank account

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

coelomate posted:

Back in my day we literally bought bitcoin by depositing cash into specific bank accounts, taking a picture of a receipt, and emailing it to somebody.

you were an idiot

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

you were an idiot

yes

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the coinbase thing is probably a reasonably safe bet tbh
i got that $100 fee number from op's own screenshot but i guess it was some stupid overpriced smart contract type thing at gemini rather than a normal "just send money" tx
based on the etherscan gas tracker linked above it should actually be about $30bux total to fund the wallet enough for a transfer

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 3, 2022

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

iirc you only generate a taxable event when you buy or sell cryptocurrencies, including swapping them for other currencies like eth
no, if you receive cryptocurrency as payment for services rendered, it's taxable income at whatever the fair value would be in dollars at the time you received it. so technically, OP owes income tax on that $1500 even if they never successfully cash it out. that said,

Zamujasa posted:

i agree with this, the irs probably ain't gonna notice this income unless a) you actually hit the conventional banking system at some point by selling and cashing it out, or b) the employer that paid it includes it on the W-2 or 1099 they should've issued to OP this past month, which they're legally required to but lol I bet they didn't do that, did they

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

OK it looks like Ethereum transaction fees are like $20 per send now, which is annoying because you probably will need to buy like $50 worth of Ether, since you'll have to pay the fee to send it to your wallet with the tether AND the fee to send it from that wallet to coinbase.

lol this is all definitely very dumb. I am sorry it is happening to you.

$1,500 after coinbase fees and Ether transaction fees will probs be more like $1,400 but that's still enough beer to drink until this is funny-sad instead of just stupid-sad.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

god this is all dumb ok NEW ESTIMATE:

(1) Small fee to buy Ether with your dollars at Coinbase using whatever method

(1) Small fee to send Ether you buy at Coinbase to the wallet with the tether, because Just Sending Ether isn't that expensive

(2) Medium fee (~$21) to send the Tethers to your Coinbase account because of course Tether is a complicated derivative smart contract thing build on top of Ethereum and thus ~ burns more gas ~ when it moves.

(3) Medium-large fee to sell your Tethers for dollars to a bank account at Coinbase

god I hate loving crypto

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:thunk:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not a scam.

these instructions just keep changing, but trust me, if you follow them perfectly, you will have only somewhat less money than when you started.

make sure you follow every one to the letter, or you may end up just null routing your transaction and losing everything, including the money you spent to get the money out in the first place.

definitely not a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

somebody already sent him the poop

he just has to touch it long enough to get it off his shoe

yes yes and upload high resolution scans of his drivers license, social security card, anus, etc. to a trust worthy ~ tech company ~

oh and don't copy paste error or all funbux will be gone