Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

fatherboxx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=005YAcpPxsw

Sarah Z new video touches of fan canon of Sherlock, Homestuck, Kingdom Hearts, Harry Potter and Dragonball Z so beware of taking 2d10 psychic damage every few minutes

jokes aside the schoolyard bullshit about Dragonball AF is fascinating as pre-internet time capsule

and that Corncob TV cup is amazing, I need one

We all remember that one image of Super Saiyan 5 Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Sarah Z is great, but like many Youtube essayists could probably stand to cut her videos down by 50% or more. I get that the algorithm currently rewards hour+ videos and I usually watch these things as background noise while playing video games anyway, but still.

Been on an Izzzyzzzz kick recently and she scratches a similar itch about recounting weird fandom drama, but I'm especially a big fan of the fact that she typically keeps it at 45 minutes at the most.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's a potentially interesting issue to examine, visa vis youtubes algorithm favoring hour+ videos because it means more/longer pre-/mid-/post-roll ads along with the default autoplay behaviour leading to people putting things in the background and not focusing on them properly.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

We all remember that one image of Super Saiyan 5 Goku.

Saiya-jin :colbert:

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

it's very important to make sure people understand that goku's race is the egetablevay people

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

This is a deep cut but anyone remember the DBZ Otaku Alliance? They'd insist on "Saiya-jin" and "Pikkoro" and "Bejita" and hated the English dub to the point of performance art. Like, there was a point-by-point analysis of each episode detailing every minute change from the Japanese version.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Hussie's real problem was thinking LOST was an example of good storytelling and overestimating his own ability to do everything himself. Plus, I get the impression he was exploiting the goodwill of a whole bunch of creative people working (probably for no pay) under him.

I was playing a wacky card game that had bun-bun as a card. Nobody knew who he was.

That was almost a decade ago.
If I remember that expansion correctly, he was the only vaguely recognisable character when it was released even.

I don't remember it correctly, because it's been at least a decade since my expansions weren't all sitting in the wrecked old storage box that only gets used with friends rather than the random pristine demo boxes I have lying around.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Hussie's real problem was thinking LOST was an example of good storytelling and overestimating his own ability to do everything himself. Plus, I get the impression he was exploiting the goodwill of a whole bunch of creative people working (probably for no pay) under him.
Hussie's depth could often be surmised as, to adapt a phrase from Se7en "just because he has Wikipedia doesn't make him Yoda". Dude would just go to the wikipedia article for a number/letter/zodiac sign, dump all the linked things onto a character and people would read this as intense worldbuilding. That's the essay writing equivalent of citing the dictionary to add more references. It was a plotline gish gallop.

Also Hussie had WhatPumpkin as their threatening arm for anyone who wasn't willing to give a cut for fan-made, including mundane things like zodiac symbols he was happy to borrow wholesale from the internet. Meanwhile he borrowed fanart and cosplay photos for his own work, no asking, no attribution.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

stillvisions posted:

Hussie's depth could often be surmised as, to adapt a phrase from Se7en "just because he has Wikipedia doesn't make him Yoda". Dude would just go to the wikipedia article for a number/letter/zodiac sign, dump all the linked things onto a character and people would read this as intense worldbuilding.

this undersells both what made the better characters good and what made the worst characters bad

the trolls used zodiac sign summaries as a blueprint but it definitely didn’t stop there, even if most of them were ill-treated by the collapsing storyline. meanwhile the worst characters (nearly all of whom populated Act 6, effectively the “last” act since number 7 was just a five-minute animation) were bad entirely on their own merits. Hussie wasn’t writing from a wiki article when he created the Alpha Kids, he built those rickety hovels from foundation to steeple

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

this undersells both what made the better characters good and what made the worst characters bad

the trolls used zodiac sign summaries as a blueprint but it definitely didn’t stop there, even if most of them were ill-treated by the collapsing storyline. meanwhile the worst characters (nearly all of whom populated Act 6, effectively the “last” act since number 7 was just a five-minute animation) were bad entirely on their own merits. Hussie wasn’t writing from a wiki article when he created the Alpha Kids, he built those rickety hovels from foundation to steeple

I think it was Act 6 when I realized the story I wasn't interested wasn't remotely the one Hussie wanted to tell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1488961968241143808?s=20&t=-qaRTLC5KEnX6yhUvingQA

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

it's wild to me that anyone could possibly see the bizarre crypto cult on twitter and say "huh interesting let me get involved". even when they aren't bots they sound truly deranged.

my favorite crypto twitter niche is a small subset of bitcoin guys who believe this apocalyptic future where bitcoin is worth 1 million each and all fiat currencies have collapsed. the graphs they post are straight out of the Simpsons.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is a deep cut but anyone remember the DBZ Otaku Alliance? They'd insist on "Saiya-jin" and "Pikkoro" and "Bejita" and hated the English dub to the point of performance art. Like, there was a point-by-point analysis of each episode detailing every minute change from the Japanese version.

The one I always think of is Team Band of the Hawk or whatever, who were the old old Berserk TL group, who absolutely demanded Guts be Gattsu, Griffith be Griffisu and stuff like that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Nakama, the word with no possible English translation

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
T/L Note: Keikaku means plan

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bobjr posted:

However hansa could be an appropriate alternative.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eotenna

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

The one I always think of is Team Band of the Hawk or whatever, who were the old old Berserk TL group, who absolutely demanded Guts be Gattsu, Griffith be Griffisu and stuff like that.

auughghghhg i'm cringing so hard remembering that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Famethrowa posted:

it's wild to me that anyone could possibly see the bizarre crypto cult on twitter and say "huh interesting let me get involved". even when they aren't bots they sound truly deranged.

my favorite crypto twitter niche is a small subset of bitcoin guys who believe this apocalyptic future where bitcoin is worth 1 million each and all fiat currencies have collapsed. the graphs they post are straight out of the Simpsons.

Real life streamer and notorious scum bag Ice Poseidon just did a rug pull on his own coin and when asked what he'd do with the money said he was going to invest in Ethereum lol

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

volts5000 posted:

Apparently, Jay Exci got into a bit of drama with Hasan Piker. Hasan streamed Jay's "Bizzare House" video on his Twitch stream, but he only made three comments total and even got up to make food while Jay's video played uninterrupted. Jay argued that Hasan's reaction was non-transformative and she didn't receive any credit or mentions. Jay made a satirical "reaction" video to Hasan's reaction video. Hasan took it personally and called her out on his stream, so she made a video breaking down reaction content, the difference between transformative and non-transformative, and the drama between her and Hasan. It's a really good vid.

I've gotten into reaction content since the lockdown and I can't stand reactors who just watch a movie, video, etc. and say nothing or just giggle occasionally. At least say what you feel, what you notice, anything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TVSfHbpR6k

Hasan makes way too much money to be that lazy with his content, what a prick

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobjr posted:

It never stops being funny that it was just the big One Piece fansub group that's responsible for this and that because they were lazy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Real life streamer and notorious scum bag Ice Poseidon just did a rug pull on his own coin and when asked what he'd do with the money said he was going to invest in Ethereum lol

He also said that he wasn't going to pay back the people he scammed because he had to "look out for himself" which is like ultra scum.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

He also said that he wasn't going to pay back the people he scammed because he had to "look out for himself" which is like ultra scum.

"We're all gonna make it" :laffo:

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Yeah, Coffeezilla did the interview with him where he just straight up admits to taking the money with no intention of paying back investors.

Summary video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7MaoD4tJuc&t=1s

Full interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSvHj2Br2c&t=18s

Good channel, too. Investigates and does videos on crypto scams and other financial scams.

EDIT: Also, I thought it was well known that Ice Poseidon was a piece of poo poo...or am I thinking of someone else?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I wish that fansub had kept going since it would've made the title drop in the later part of the series make zero sense

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

man if you cant trust the racist street harassment streaming guy to sell you a good shitcoin who can you trust

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

It never stops being funny that it was just the big One Piece fansub group that's responsible for this and that because they were lazy.

I liked how the they created special subtitle fonts for whenever somebody did their special attacks, so I'll let the nakama thing slide.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Sydin posted:

T/L Note: Keikaku means plan

Was this a joke about weird fansubs or something that actually happened? I assumed the former, but a very lazy search suggested it might been a serious effort?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

stillvisions posted:

Hussie's depth could often be surmised as, to adapt a phrase from Se7en "just because he has Wikipedia doesn't make him Yoda". Dude would just go to the wikipedia article for a number/letter/zodiac sign, dump all the linked things onto a character and people would read this as intense worldbuilding. That's the essay writing equivalent of citing the dictionary to add more references. It was a plotline gish gallop.
He’s not a bad writer, and I honestly think the fact he wrote Homestuck at such a (very unhealthy) pace while keeping it very engaging and just keeping track of everything going on right up until it fell apart at the end is still pretty impressive given he was writing by the seat of his pants.

Yeah, templating was the secret sauce to making the trolls like catnip to fans, but he could make the characters likable and interesting. He just needed to, you know, stop introducing new ones at some point.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dr Christmas posted:

Was this a joke about weird fansubs or something that actually happened? I assumed the former, but a very lazy search suggested it might been a serious effort?

The specific Death Note one I believe was serious, but while it’s been a decade it wasn’t super uncommon to see random words in fansubs left untranslated with a note or something listing the word it was, making it out of place.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

volts5000 posted:

Yeah, Coffeezilla did the interview with him where he just straight up admits to taking the money with no intention of paying back investors.

Summary video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7MaoD4tJuc&t=1s

Full interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSvHj2Br2c&t=18s

Good channel, too. Investigates and does videos on crypto scams and other financial scams.

EDIT: Also, I thought it was well known that Ice Poseidon was a piece of poo poo...or am I thinking of someone else?

Yeah Ice Poseidon is a well documented massive piece of poo poo. Dude ran a ponzi scheme, called in multiple bomb threats across the country using an illegal caller ID spoofer, was raided and investigated by the FBI for both, got off scot-free because he's white and rich, and spent a summer like 5 years ago doing a grand tour across the US in an RV with a bunch of other filthy racist life streamers and filmed themselves getting kicked out of various Denny's and other such restaurants by fighting with the staff and shouting slurs during packed dinner hours.

I'm actually surprised this cock wart is even still alive. I was convinced he was bound for an early grave because his e-fame was going to drive him insane/to suicide or cause him to piss off the wrong person eventually.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Keikaku means plan was a joke but it was based on an actual trend in the fansub space back then. honestly, mid-2000s fansub culture was an entire nested web of injokes and infighting.

edit: to be clear, keikaku means plan appeared in actual fansubs of death note, but they put it there as a joke.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Endorph posted:

Keikaku means plan was a joke but it was based on an actual trend in the fansub space back then. honestly, mid-2000s fansub culture was an entire nested web of injokes and infighting.

the only reason I finished Code Geass season 2 in ongoing were [gg] subs descending into madness and trolling

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

fatherboxx posted:

the only reason I finished Code Geass season 2 in ongoing were [gg] subs descending into madness and trolling

Classic

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Endorph posted:

honestly, mid-2000s fansub culture was an entire nested web of injokes and infighting.

who could ever forget, for example, Miami Mike And What He Did At Dragoncon https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2018-03-11/legends-of-vhs-fansubs-tracking-down-miami-mike/.128838

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the greatest subs of all time. i dont know how the same subs have both 'dont be cockahoop' and 'Scoundrel, I won't take advantage of another's perilous state' but im so glad they do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think an important bit of context is that fansubs doing that stuff was a pushback against the translations of mainstream anime releases. Which even well into the 00s was doing stuff like changing character names and incidental dialogue in order to make it more appealing to the West.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think an important bit of context is that fansubs doing that stuff was a pushback against the translations of mainstream anime releases. Which even well into the 00s was doing stuff like changing character names and incidental dialogue in order to make it more appealing to the West.

Which was a dumb thing to push back on really. Character names generally-speaking shouldn't be altered, but incidental dialogue and jokes should be localized to preserve the context rather than the verbatim wording if it's not going to carry across in their original form.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which was a dumb thing to push back on really. Character names generally-speaking shouldn't be altered, but incidental dialogue and jokes should be localized to preserve the context rather than the verbatim wording if it's not going to carry across in their original form.

I did not expect to find a riceball-> jelly donut defender here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean it depends on the incidental dialogue/joke. A lot of stuff in the early/mid 2000s was absolutely doing stuff like censoring characters sexualities or gender identities, or inserting jokes where there were none in the original. (Like not even moving a joke slightly, i mean the entire scene didnt have a joke in the original.)

Plus slightly more banal stuff like censoring out any concept of the show taking place in Japan or being made by Japanese people or whatever.

Obviously sometimes people get mad about really innocuous or reasonable localization changes but that doesn't mean stuff like this doesn't still happen to this day.