Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What are you trying to do for grad school? Phd? Masters? What field?

Almost certainly a bad idea!!!

Masters in GIS. I'm looking at USC specifically because it's local and fully online. But drat, the price. I'm gonna have to con my boss into paying for it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You need a Masters to use Google Internet Search?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Android Apocalypse posted:

I’ve got my phd in Lycos

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I like that my toddler wants to shovel with me, but it really means it just takes twice as long.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

I like that my toddler wants to shovel with me, but it really means it just takes twice as long.

I have found that changing my mindset from "I'm not doing thing, I'm making memories" has been helpful when the task allows it. When success isn't tied to completion of the actual work product, I come away from my kids helping with a task in a much better mood.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

True, I’m also looking at it like an apprenticeship. In 5 years I won’t have to shovel anymore, my kid will do it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Silly Burrito posted:

I’ve got my phd in Ligma

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's how you find the good good

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Masters in GIS. I'm looking at USC specifically because it's local and fully online. But drat, the price. I'm gonna have to con my boss into paying for it...

Why usc when ucla right there and better and cheaper? You too good for public school??

E: I support your goals!!!

E: I don’t see the value in a gis masters if you already have a job in gis

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

E: I don’t see the value in a gis masters if you already have a job in gis

I don't understand e: I want to do higher level poo poo eventually. Feels like I need more in-depth knowledge and skills to do that...

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 3, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I have looked at That Dog, and I approve

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The United Soviet States of America will have comrade dog on the flag.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

It’s cute but also funny because there’s no way in hell my dog would do the same, it’d be into his stomach halfway between my scraping it off the plate and it hitting the bowl

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I doubt anyone cares about the Masked Singer but lmao what the hell dude

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1489035296691957761

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

mixed curling for the day is about to start

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hot Diggity! posted:

I doubt anyone cares about the Masked Singer but lmao what the hell dude

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1489035296691957761

To add insult to injury (and probably explains why the people in charge of this thought no one would have a serious problem with this) Sarah Palin was a previous contestant, and while I don't watch the show, to my knowledge, none of the judges walked out at that reveal.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Bird in a Blender posted:

True, I’m also looking at it like an apprenticeship. In 5 years I won’t have to shovel anymore, my kid will do it.

In my experience, toddlers find household chores fun. Preteens and teenagers do not and you will have to hound them to do the chore and it is less good. This is why they make child size brooms and vacuums and dishes and poo poo. Kids like pretending to be adults. Older kids just like to bitch and moan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I don't understand e: I want to do higher level poo poo eventually. Feels like I need more in-depth knowledge and skills to do that...

no no no, you don't go to school to learn things, you go to check off a box that allows you access to a specific job tier that you can't access otherwise, that's what school is for

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Braksgirl posted:

In my experience, toddlers find household chores fun. Preteens and teenagers do not and you will have to hound them to do the chore and it is less good. This is why they make child size brooms and vacuums and dishes and poo poo. Kids like pretending to be adults. Older kids just like to bitch and moan.

I don't remember my toddler attitude towards household chores, but my memories of being a pre-teen and teenager absolutely line up with that.

Although part of that was my parents just not buying the right tools for poo poo. I absolutely refused to mow the lawn at a certain point, because it was not a small lawn and they bought a push mower for it so they paid a high-school friend to mow it who brought his parent's gas powered self moving lawn mower to do it after he tried to use my parent's push mower once. This involved borrowing his parent's van and getting a very heavy object out of and back into it.

Another time I was 19 and had flunked out of college and they lived in a place with giant shrubbery and hadn't found a job yet so they were like "here, you need to trim the shrubs" and they just had hand clippers and the neighbor saw me doing it once and said "You can just borrow my electric clippers."

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

no no no, you don't go to school to learn things, you go to check off a box that allows you access to a specific job tier that you can't access otherwise, that's what school is for

Yeah this. So if you’ve already got a GIS job just keep doing that instead of burning money and precious years of your youth.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

Definitely true with my kid. I have a cleaning set just for him. I can’t sweep without him getting his broom to help out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

As someone with 14,000 dollars worth of student debt (came out better than a lot of people) don't go into debt for college unless it's a requirement for your career. If your parents are rich go ahead and get a creative arts degree or whatever the gently caress. And if you're smart enough or good enough at a sport you get full ride for doing that do that to, but there's so many jobs you can get without college and a BA in an unrelated thing won't help you for most jobs.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Brother In Law did an MBA and his employer paid for it. He is now leaving and they want their money as per the agreement if he leaves within a certain period of time. He seems to think he can talk his way out of it since he can talk 4 legs off a donkey then convince it to run a marathon. Doesn’t help when you signed a legal document stipulating that you had to work for them for X amount of time or pay it back dumb dumb.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Skwirl posted:

As someone with 14,000 dollars worth of student debt (came out better than a lot of people) don't go into debt for college unless it's a requirement for your career. If your parents are rich go ahead and get a creative arts degree or whatever the gently caress. And if you're smart enough or good enough at a sport you get full ride for doing that do that to, but there's so many jobs you can get without college and a BA in an unrelated thing won't help you for most jobs.

Lmao 14k. Get out of here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah this. So if you’ve already got a GIS job just keep doing that instead of burning money and precious years of your youth.

I was being sarcastic

Although I do recognize that due to the ridiculous expense, this is the reality many people have to live with now. But I learned a lot in college and even if it hadn't led to a career, I feel like my education was worth it. I also went first to community college and then to a state school to finish, so my education cost me a hell of a lot less than most people.

I desperately want to live in a world where people get educations to become more well-rounded, smarter people, better citizens, etc.; and oh, they can also train for a particular career if they want. That won't be possible until (public, at least) college educations are more-or-less free.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

I was being sarcastic
I was being 100% sincere because we live in capitalist America.

As you expanded on below. Wish we lived in a better world but alas.

Leperflesh posted:

Although I do recognize that due to the ridiculous expense, this is the reality many people have to live with now. But I learned a lot in college and even if it hadn't led to a career, I feel like my education was worth it. I also went first to community college and then to a state school to finish, so my education cost me a hell of a lot less than most people.

I desperately want to live in a world where people get educations to become more well-rounded, smarter people, better citizens, etc.; and oh, they can also train for a particular career if they want. That won't be possible until (public, at least) college educations are more-or-less free.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'm hopeful that my company will pay for it! I am bringing it up tomorrow with my boss to see where it goes first. Also, I feel like in GIS you get stuck in a rut unless you can want to be a technician forever. At least that's been my experience. I feel extremely lucky to be a sales engineer right now and I want to stay on this track. I think a Masters would help with that, maybe even taking me as far as a consulting gig. Maybe I'm wrong.

(I know I was complaining it's expensive, but that was with ME paying in mind...)

e: I also really like school :3:

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 3, 2022

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Currently pursuing a Sociology degree while working full time. AMA about setting money on fire.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Currently pursuing a Sociology degree while working full time. AMA about setting money on fire.

With a toddler? Jeebus dude, you hate free time or?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Boy is a big part of the money fire. Honestly union Steward work is probably what kills most of my free time. Our contract is up in July and we lost two longtime organizers 2 months ago.
Ravens fell apart so I've needed stuff to keep me occupied through the pandemic.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The new Book of Boba Fett is one of the strangest episodes of TV I’ve ever seen. Not surreal strange like Twin Peaks, more “what are we doing here, what is this show even for?” strange.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

General Dog posted:

The new Book of Boba Fett is one of the strangest episodes of TV I’ve ever seen. Not surreal strange like Twin Peaks, more “what are we doing here, what is this show even for?” strange.

It's like the producers got halfway through the season and just went "poo poo poo poo poo poo this is bad, bring back that other show people liked more!"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

It's like the producers got halfway through the season and just went "poo poo poo poo poo poo this is bad, bring back that other show people liked more!"

Counterpoint: Cad Bane showing up was great, Grogu remains adorable, and overall it was entertaining Star Wars stuff, which is all I want.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I didn't realize Google Image Search was so serious

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

fartknocker posted:

Counterpoint: Cad Bane showing up was great, Grogu remains adorable, and overall it was entertaining Star Wars stuff, which is all I want.

Yeah for sure these last two episodes have been much better than the rest of the series by a wide margin, it’s just kind of a head-scratcher to see the series seemingly lose interest in its plot (which, to be fair, is really boring) in real time and just turn into season three of the Mandalorian. Even just viewed as a de facto episode of the Mandalorian, this last one is really digressive and disjointed.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Boy is a big part of the money fire. Honestly union Steward work is probably what kills most of my free time. Our contract is up in July and we lost two longtime organizers 2 months ago.
Ravens fell apart so I've needed stuff to keep me occupied through the pandemic.

This post reminded me. Wasn't it you that had the lawsuit/issues with a house you bought that had all kinds of problems? What happened with that?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
We settled out of court with them buying the house back at previous sale prices. Still hosed us pretty bad to lose the year of equity. On the plus side we returned the favor when they flipped the house again instead of renting and we handed over all our findings to the folks they sold to.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fartknocker posted:

Yeah I'm not complaining. General Dog summed it up pretty well right there. It's like they just said gently caress it and converted the rest of the season into Mando and suddenly it's better.

I had no idea who Cad Bane was but my wife, who's a bigger Stars War nerd than I am, recognized him and was pretty thrilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Cad Bane is a more fleshed out character that is who everyone thinks Boba Fett is. In Clone Wars he was a bounty hunter that had no problem taking on Jedi and winning fairly regularly.