Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Vince isn't gonna die until the XFL is somewhat successful

Make Scott Steiner the commissioner of XFL3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Gavok posted:

Sydney Bottocks went over a bunch of it, but I might as well effort post it. Vince never stopped running WWE. Still, for many years, it was expected that Triple H and Stephanie McMahon would eventually get the keys once Vince... well, died, since that's the only way he's going to stop. Triple H has many problems -- he's an rear end in a top hat, a tremendous egomaniac and a racist -- but he at least seems like a comparatively sane human being and has an understanding of how wrestling has evolved. People can argue over whether it would be good, but Triple H running WWE as a whole would be a more coherent product.

There are also certain Vince McMahon yes-men who were absolutely hosed the moment Triple H would ascend, especially head director Kevin Dunn. So there was that to look forward to.

Triple H was in charge of the future of the company. Not only did he oversee the Performance Center (a training facility for rookie members of the roster) but NXT, the developmental brand. For a while, NXT was an hour-long show streaming on the WWE Network, taped four episodes at a time with 4-5 special PPV events a year. Not only was it a way for new wrestlers to figure themselves out on a smaller scale, but for veteran indie wrestlers to understand WWE's direction style. Triple H kept hiring popular wrestlers from the indies and other countries because it made him look good to the fans, the match quality of NXT shows went through the roof and it helped WWE deflate any chance of opposition.

It was basically a variation of how Vince destroyed the territories in the 80's. He even succeeded to some extent as the UK was in the midst of a new wrestling renaissance. Triple H started up NXT UK, they scooped up all the big names and the UK wrestling scene straight-up died. They were planning on doing NXT Japan before the pandemic happened.

The problem was that Vince still ran Raw and Smackdown and he never watched any NXT. That meant that when somebody had graduated from NXT and made it to the main roster with a fully-formed character and built-in fanbase, Vince didn't know what the gently caress. Triple H could tell him who they were and how great they were, but Vince made his own conclusions and their fate was a crapshoot. Sometimes Triple H was Andy at the end of Toy Story 3, telling Bonnie about how awesome and meaningful Woody is, only for him to wind up buried in the closet by the next movie. NXT wrestlers would be afraid of graduating because being a big fish in a small pond was a better fate than being booked as a loser virgin under Vince's rule.

Seriously, NXT had a can't-miss prospect who went to the main roster and was constantly made fun of for being a loser and a virgin.

But hey, this was temporary. One day, Triple H would be running things and NXT people would thrive on the main roster.

Wrestlers Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks were getting huge buzz and WWE was trying to sign them. It seemed like such a done deal that Vince, Triple H, Stephanie and Shane cut this big promo on TV about how they were going to start listening to the fans more as a prelude to them announcing the signings. Instead, at the eleventh hour, those three guys decided to be on the ground floor of AEW and see where that could take them. Not only did Vince look stupid, but he had potential opposition for the first time in 20 years. Triple H's "sign everyone" strategy had already become moot.

When AEW announced that they were getting a TV deal, WWE announced that NXT was also getting a TV deal. On the same night at the same time. They wanted to strangle this promotion in the crib. Vince and his people took more interest in NXT because they wanted their developmental show to crush the other promotion's main show. They threw everything they had and even got a couple wins here and there, but AEW dominated the Wednesday Night War. Eventually, NXT had to retreat and move to Tuesday nights.

Vince was PISSED and blamed it all on Triple H. Triple H was demoted and NXT was deemed a tremendous failure. Now it's run by Vince's yes-men with less emphasis on indie darlings and more on large, muscular guys with little experience and stupid gimmicks. Like one of their most prominent characters is a dude with the gimmick of "evil woke guy." But hey, making fun of millennials works on some level because while NXT ratings are in the garbage, the people who DO watch it skew to like 65 year old on average.

There was a video of Triple H at the Performance Center, talking up the changes that were going on and the dude looked just so defeated and sad. Then sometime after, he suffered some kind of heart attack. Word is that when recuperating, people were told not to call him up about anything involving the company's business. There have been very few pictures of him since and nobody seems to know what's up with him.

Meanwhile, the guy who has replaced him as Vince's righthand man is Nick Khan. Nick Khan gives no shits about wrestling or who's getting pushed or what storylines are going on. He just cares about the bottom line and has gone on multiple firing sprees. A lot of his victims are Triple H's guys. For instance, Khan fired Samoa Joe. Triple H ended up rehiring him (presumably for less money) and within a few months, Khan fired him AGAIN.

It's worth noting that WWE is firing all these people despite making record-breaking profits lately. It used to be that they were afraid of firing people because AEW could take them in, but now they're like, "Haha, they can't hire EVERYONE!"

The spite continues into some of Triple H's favorites from NXT. He spent like a year and a half pushing this guy Karrion Kross as this generation's Triple H and had him win the NXT championship while being undefeated. Kross -- as champion -- was called up to the main roster where he debuted by losing to Jeff Hardy in 3 minutes, being forced to wear the doofiest armor, losing some more, then being fired.

WWE is an utter mess right now held up by TV deals and Saudi blood money. Some say that they're maneuvering to sell. Some think they're just cutting the fat for the hell of it. If something happens to Vince, the company will probably end up in the hands of someone like Nick Khan, John Laurinaitis, Bruce Pritchard or whoever. But probably not Triple H. Not anymore. He probably would have made it a better show, but drat if it isn't great schadenfreude.

I've started watching WWE after like 10-15 years cause I was hyped for Shinsuke Nakamura, and this really helps me contextualize wtf happened to his character going from NXT to Smackdown/Raw. The entire thing is such a mismanaged shitshow and while I respect Vince for what he did to get wrestling to where it is, it's obvious he's become the biggest obstacle to WWE being good again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Vince = DJT Sr
Triple H = Eric
Shane = DJT Jr
Stephanie = Ivanka

:aaaaa:

I mean aside from that they are probably each others' only real friends and may be related, it's hard to tell who based their persona on who first

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Long gone are the days when a sentient pile of cocaine could take to the ring

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

gbs but from 2004 posted:

hell yeah these 2 posts was the poo poo I was looking for. Hhh is racist?

Maybe not as overt as Vince or Hogan, but yeah. Ignoring the TV stuff like when he wore blackface to make fun of the Rock or made gorilla gestures at Mark Henry, there are some backstage stories that don't make him look all that good. Regularly making fun of a writer of Indian descent to his face while doing an accent. This one time when a black wrestler was like "Hey, this design you guys made for my t-shirt is racist as gently caress and I don't like it. Please use another design or at least don't put it on a black t-shirt," and Triple H insisted on keeping it as is.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i only ever watched wrestling back in the attitude era and drat, shane's looking old these days

He came back a few years ago and always wrestled in a shirt. Everyone figured he was just trying to hide what age did to his body. Then his shirt fell off during a cage match and it was this big holy poo poo moment because the dude is cut.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vince McMahon's mom lived one year for every Dalmatian puppy she murdered.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
imagine if she held out for one more day and died on the anniversary of his quads blowing out

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Gavok posted:

Maybe not as overt as Vince or Hogan, but yeah. Ignoring the TV stuff like when he wore blackface to make fun of the Rock or made gorilla gestures at Mark Henry, there are some backstage stories that don't make him look all that good. Regularly making fun of a writer of Indian descent to his face while doing an accent. This one time when a black wrestler was like "Hey, this design you guys made for my t-shirt is racist as gently caress and I don't like it. Please use another design or at least don't put it on a black t-shirt," and Triple H insisted on keeping it as is.

Triple H had a feud with Booker T where he straight up told him "people like you don't get to be world champion" and it was pretty clear what he was inferring. You'd think that it would be leading to Booker T getting his revenge and showing Triple H that he was wrong by pinning him clean and winning the title. So of course, Triple H defeated him at the end of the feud.

quote:

He came back a few years ago and always wrestled in a shirt. Everyone figured he was just trying to hide what age did to his body. Then his shirt fell off during a cage match and it was this big holy poo poo moment because the dude is cut.

On the flip side though, he gets blown up so quickly that at the end of whatever match he's in he's pouring sweat, and is reddened like a sausage that's being overcooked and about to explode.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

A LOVELY LAD posted:

fucken lolling remembering that Vince mcMahon slid into the ring one time and blew out both his quads

TalkSport's (a British radio station) Facebook posted this like a day after you, TalkSport goon come out from the shadows and buy Alan Brazil an account you coward.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

TalkSport's (a British radio station) Facebook posted this like a day after you, TalkSport goon come out from the shadows and buy Alan Brazil an account you coward.

I will see you in the ring this friday talksport

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
:laffo: Shane McMahon was just let go by WWE.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Vince McMahon's mom lived one year for every Dalmatian puppy she murdered.

If you look into Vince's childhood, oh boy is that screwed up, along with his mom, who may have been chill with Vince being sexually assaulted as a child.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Jamesman posted:

hahaha

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Jamesman posted:

lmfao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Jamesman posted:

:vince:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

It's even better with context.

Shane's whole deal is that he doesn't really need to be part of WWE, but does it because it's the only way he can spend any time with his workaholic father. At first, fans think of him as the most normal and down-to-earth member of the McMahon family, but then he can't help himself and he starts booking himself in situations where he's considered a top tier fighter. Like being in a competitive match against the Undertaker at WrestleMania in a Hell in a Cell and having it last a full half hour.

The other day, they did the Royal Rumble PPV and the men's Rumble match is widely considered to be the worst of all the Rumble matches (of which there are over 40). It turns out that Shane was in charge of producing it and not only kept changing poo poo to the point that wrestlers didn't know when they were supposed to come out or who they were meant to eliminate, but Shane booked himself into the Rumble where he ended up in third place.

So Shane was fired for either loving up the Royal Rumble to such an incredible extent or because the show was so hated that they needed a fall guy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If this were 20 years ago, Shane being top-tier would sound perfectly reasonable to me. Dude was insane.

AEW is the new competition right? I would watch the hell out of it if Shane O' Mac came out next week and did a flying dropkick from one corner of the ring to another. Doesn't even have to be to anybody. He can just have another match with God or something like that one time on WWE.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

If you look into Vince's childhood, oh boy is that screwed up, along with his mom, who may have been chill with Vince being sexually assaulted as a child.

IIRC, per that one astonishing interview Vince did in the 1980s (I think it was with Playboy) where among other things he said he wanted to kill his stepfather, I think he all but flat-out said it was his mother who sexually abused him. Which certainly explains his obsession with running incest angles, if nothing else.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Gavok posted:

It's even better with context.

Shane's whole deal is that he doesn't really need to be part of WWE, but does it because it's the only way he can spend any time with his workaholic father. At first, fans think of him as the most normal and down-to-earth member of the McMahon family, but then he can't help himself and he starts booking himself in situations where he's considered a top tier fighter. Like being in a competitive match against the Undertaker at WrestleMania in a Hell in a Cell and having it last a full half hour.

The other day, they did the Royal Rumble PPV and the men's Rumble match is widely considered to be the worst of all the Rumble matches (of which there are over 40). It turns out that Shane was in charge of producing it and not only kept changing poo poo to the point that wrestlers didn't know when they were supposed to come out or who they were meant to eliminate, but Shane booked himself into the Rumble where he ended up in third place.

So Shane was fired for either loving up the Royal Rumble to such an incredible extent or because the show was so hated that they needed a fall guy.

Nothing on WWE TV goes on without Vince or Bruce giving the OK so it's 100% Shane taking the fall.

Same thing with Triple H being ousted for failing to beat AEW in the ratings.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

If this were 20 years ago, Shane being top-tier would sound perfectly reasonable to me. Dude was insane.

The difference was that back in the day, Shane was treated as lesser than the wrestlers, but would endure punishment, cheat and do daredevil poo poo to get by. These days, he runs out, does the worst-looking boxing punches you've ever seen and his opponents have to sell it like death.

quote:

AEW is the new competition right? I would watch the hell out of it if Shane O' Mac came out next week and did a flying dropkick from one corner of the ring to another. Doesn't even have to be to anybody. He can just have another match with God or something like that one time on WWE.

Nah, AEW already has a guy whose gimmick is that he's trying to pick a fight with God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMVda-OB3Cs

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lol professional wrestling is so dumb

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Jamesman posted:

There was that time where a wrestler was given a character that was basically Jack Sparrow and he acted like a drunk crazy pirate person and swung to the ring on a rope and people were actually kinda into it because the Pirates movies were popular at the time and the wrestler was selling the whole thing pretty hard. Then Vince was like "Who the gently caress cares about pirates? What is this poo poo?" and cut the whole thing.

That same wrestler (Paul Burchall) was then given a "twincest" gimmick where he was teamed up with his "sister" Katie Lee Burchall and it was heavily implied they were loving

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What ever happened to the xfl revival

It was cool and good and then coronavirus and then it went bankrupt and the Rock and some others bought it from him.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 3, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Brother Tadger posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gavok posted:

Sydney Bottocks went over a bunch of it, but I might as well effort post it. Vince never stopped running WWE. Still, for many years, it was expected that Triple H and Stephanie McMahon would eventually get the keys once Vince... well, died, since that's the only way he's going to stop. Triple H has many problems -- he's an rear end in a top hat, a tremendous egomaniac and a racist -- but he at least seems like a comparatively sane human being and has an understanding of how wrestling has evolved. People can argue over whether it would be good, but Triple H running WWE as a whole would be a more coherent product.

There are also certain Vince McMahon yes-men who were absolutely hosed the moment Triple H would ascend, especially head director Kevin Dunn. So there was that to look forward to.

Triple H was in charge of the future of the company. Not only did he oversee the Performance Center (a training facility for rookie members of the roster) but NXT, the developmental brand. For a while, NXT was an hour-long show streaming on the WWE Network, taped four episodes at a time with 4-5 special PPV events a year. Not only was it a way for new wrestlers to figure themselves out on a smaller scale, but for veteran indie wrestlers to understand WWE's direction style. Triple H kept hiring popular wrestlers from the indies and other countries because it made him look good to the fans, the match quality of NXT shows went through the roof and it helped WWE deflate any chance of opposition.

It was basically a variation of how Vince destroyed the territories in the 80's. He even succeeded to some extent as the UK was in the midst of a new wrestling renaissance. Triple H started up NXT UK, they scooped up all the big names and the UK wrestling scene straight-up died. They were planning on doing NXT Japan before the pandemic happened.

The problem was that Vince still ran Raw and Smackdown and he never watched any NXT. That meant that when somebody had graduated from NXT and made it to the main roster with a fully-formed character and built-in fanbase, Vince didn't know what the gently caress. Triple H could tell him who they were and how great they were, but Vince made his own conclusions and their fate was a crapshoot. Sometimes Triple H was Andy at the end of Toy Story 3, telling Bonnie about how awesome and meaningful Woody is, only for him to wind up buried in the closet by the next movie. NXT wrestlers would be afraid of graduating because being a big fish in a small pond was a better fate than being booked as a loser virgin under Vince's rule.

Seriously, NXT had a can't-miss prospect who went to the main roster and was constantly made fun of for being a loser and a virgin.

But hey, this was temporary. One day, Triple H would be running things and NXT people would thrive on the main roster.

Wrestlers Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks were getting huge buzz and WWE was trying to sign them. It seemed like such a done deal that Vince, Triple H, Stephanie and Shane cut this big promo on TV about how they were going to start listening to the fans more as a prelude to them announcing the signings. Instead, at the eleventh hour, those three guys decided to be on the ground floor of AEW and see where that could take them. Not only did Vince look stupid, but he had potential opposition for the first time in 20 years. Triple H's "sign everyone" strategy had already become moot.

When AEW announced that they were getting a TV deal, WWE announced that NXT was also getting a TV deal. On the same night at the same time. They wanted to strangle this promotion in the crib. Vince and his people took more interest in NXT because they wanted their developmental show to crush the other promotion's main show. They threw everything they had and even got a couple wins here and there, but AEW dominated the Wednesday Night War. Eventually, NXT had to retreat and move to Tuesday nights.

Vince was PISSED and blamed it all on Triple H. Triple H was demoted and NXT was deemed a tremendous failure. Now it's run by Vince's yes-men with less emphasis on indie darlings and more on large, muscular guys with little experience and stupid gimmicks. Like one of their most prominent characters is a dude with the gimmick of "evil woke guy." But hey, making fun of millennials works on some level because while NXT ratings are in the garbage, the people who DO watch it skew to like 65 year old on average.

There was a video of Triple H at the Performance Center, talking up the changes that were going on and the dude looked just so defeated and sad. Then sometime after, he suffered some kind of heart attack. Word is that when recuperating, people were told not to call him up about anything involving the company's business. There have been very few pictures of him since and nobody seems to know what's up with him.

Meanwhile, the guy who has replaced him as Vince's righthand man is Nick Khan. Nick Khan gives no shits about wrestling or who's getting pushed or what storylines are going on. He just cares about the bottom line and has gone on multiple firing sprees. A lot of his victims are Triple H's guys. For instance, Khan fired Samoa Joe. Triple H ended up rehiring him (presumably for less money) and within a few months, Khan fired him AGAIN.

It's worth noting that WWE is firing all these people despite making record-breaking profits lately. It used to be that they were afraid of firing people because AEW could take them in, but now they're like, "Haha, they can't hire EVERYONE!"

The spite continues into some of Triple H's favorites from NXT. He spent like a year and a half pushing this guy Karrion Kross as this generation's Triple H and had him win the NXT championship while being undefeated. Kross -- as champion -- was called up to the main roster where he debuted by losing to Jeff Hardy in 3 minutes, being forced to wear the doofiest armor, losing some more, then being fired.

WWE is an utter mess right now held up by TV deals and Saudi blood money. Some say that they're maneuvering to sell. Some think they're just cutting the fat for the hell of it. If something happens to Vince, the company will probably end up in the hands of someone like Nick Khan, John Laurinaitis, Bruce Pritchard or whoever. But probably not Triple H. Not anymore. He probably would have made it a better show, but drat if it isn't great schadenfreude.

I don't follow wrestling at all and know of Vince McMahawn only as an internet meme or strange news, but this was really interesting.

I wouldn't mind learning more about how hosed up wrestling is behind the scenes. Who is the evil woke man wrestler. Has Vince everr gotten a lady wrestler pregnant and has illegitimate children. What is this about saudi blood money. Vince seems like an insane person every time I hear about him. I bet WWE it's full of real life wrestling storylines :v:

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I don't follow wrestling at all and know of Vince McMahawn only as an internet meme or strange news, but this was really interesting.

I wouldn't mind learning more about how hosed up wrestling is behind the scenes. Who is the evil woke man wrestler. Has Vince everr gotten a lady wrestler pregnant and has illegitimate children. What is this about saudi blood money. Vince seems like an insane person every time I hear about him. I bet WWE it's full of real life wrestling storylines :v:

I stopped following wrestling after the attitude era, but there is (was?) a really entertaining in Punch Sport Pagoda that covered all these types of stories about wrestlers and the business. I think it was called Carnies, Conmen, and Rapists or something like that? Really fun read.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brother Tadger posted:

Yes, but it used to be the good kind of dumb.

There was like a podcast/voting thing that happened a few years back on SA, where people tried to determine what the absolute, most hosed up thing in wrestling history was. It went over a ton of horrid and scummy poo poo. If somebody could post that link, that would be a great place to start.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 3, 2022

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Jamesman posted:

AEW is the good kind of dumb.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Scummy is Hulk Hogan sabotaging Jessie Ventura's attempt to unionize the stable.

hosed up is anything doing with Ultimate Warrior and Steph McMahon.

Infidel Castro posted:

AEW is the good kind of dumb.
I did not know I needed Apostle Zangief in my life but holy drat gently caress that was an awesome cheesy promo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I wouldn't mind learning more about how hosed up wrestling is behind the scenes. Who is the evil woke man wrestler.

Just a guy named Joe Gacy who cuts promos about how he believes in inclusiveness and safe spaces, but in a way that's supposed to make him a bad guy. Most people just find him to be cringeworthy and there to make the boomer viewers laugh. Similarly, there was a pretty tone-deaf wrestling stable based on BLM recently that went nowhere.

quote:

What is this about saudi blood money.

A few years ago, WWE started dealing with the Saudi government to do special PPVs in Jedah. WWE was being paid a shitload to do two PPVs a year that would 1) act like propaganda to how great Saudi Arabia is and 2) pretend each show is the biggest thing ever even if it wasn't. Like the first event was called The Greatest Royal Rumble because it had a 50-man Royal Rumble instead of the usual 30. The winner didn't get anything special or anything. One show was even constantly touted as being "Equal to or even better than WrestleMania!"

The second show, Crown Jewel, was only weeks after the horrific murder of Jamal Khashoggi by the Saudi government. WWE wasn't sure whether or not they were going to do the show until the last minute (Vince was apparently waiting to see if Trump was going to tell him not to), but ultimately did. In the lead-up, they never outright said on TV where the show was going to be. They also figured "in for a penny, in for a pound" and used this event to bring back Hulk Hogan, who WWE had cut ties with for a couple years due to his racist sex tape scandal.

While COVID slowed things down, WWE still does these shows, which is where a big chunk of their earnings come from. There was a whole situation after one show where WWE hadn't been paid in full and, due to the argument, ended up getting stuck on the runway, unable to escape the country. I mean, Vince got away in his personal jet, but the remaining roster was being held hostage until they were able to figure things out.

WWE's been losing viewers more and more by the year and one of the big breaking points for a lot of them is this whole mess.

quote:

Vince seems like an insane person every time I hear about him. I bet WWE it's full of real life wrestling storylines :v:

The backstage stuff in wrestling is fascinating as gently caress. So many people are just insane and the weirdest poo poo goes on. I can elaborate, but some examples:

- WWE putting on a tribute show for a dead wrestler WHILE finding out that he murdered his wife and son.

- The time a wrestling PPV abruptly ended its main event because one of the wrestlers showed up high as hell and nobody was sure what to do.

- WWE doing a real-life quasi-MMA tournament that went off the rails because none of it was predetermined.

- Hulk Hogan being completely weird about protecting his spot as the top guy to the point that it sabotages whatever promotion he's performing in.

- The ever-changing relationship between WWE and the Ultimate Warrior where they ended up releasing two documentaries about his career: one where he was considered a total joke of a man and one where he was the greatest person ever and a true legend.

Vice has a series called Dark Side of the Ring that goes over some of the more messed up behind-the-scenes stuff. It's a good series, but some of the stuff can be really heavy.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I wouldn't mind learning more about how hosed up wrestling is behind the scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7rc5VmLL10

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Big Beef City posted:

Lol thinking about when Edge and Christian were Gangrel's underlings and they all drank blood and were Vampires because that was peak early/mid 90's Vampire the Masquerade/Vampire Movie Culture times etc and then after Edge and Christian those deep dark goth vampires split from Gangrel they became dopey as poo poo surfer dudes that completely owned and were my favorite wrestlers for a long rear end time. :)

"...For those with benefit of flash photography..." *BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO* lmao

Edge and Christian being saved from The Brood was an extremely good move

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I'm not surprised, these rich fuckers do absolutely horrible poo poo to their kids.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Don’t bother trying to help this loving imbecile learn anything. He’s literally incapable of learning. :smuggo:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Jamesman posted:

There was like a podcast/voting thing that happened a few years back on SA, where people tried to determine what the absolute, most hosed up thing in wrestling history was. It went over a ton of horrid and scummy poo poo. If somebody could post that link, that would be a great place to start.

This was the NY 64, but nowadays wwe does so much horrible poo poo we could fill several NY 64s since the pandemic started. Easily several.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876203

There's the goldmined thread

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Gavok posted:

Just a guy named Joe Gacy who cuts promos about how he believes in inclusiveness and safe spaces, but in a way that's supposed to make him a bad guy. Most people just find him to be cringeworthy and there to make the boomer viewers laugh. Similarly, there was a pretty tone-deaf wrestling stable based on BLM recently that went nowhere

Gotta say, I was under the impression that wrestling stopped having villains like "The Communist!", "The Foreigner!", or "The [Insert Thing That Scares Old People!]" after we moved past... the 80s.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Gotta say, I was under the impression that wrestling stopped having villains like "The Communist!", "The Foreigner!", or "The [Insert Thing That Scares Old People!]" after we moved past... the 80s.

wrestling, by and large, has developed a degree of nuance within which these stereotypes would not comfortably fit...

but ultimately, every last decision regarding the dozens of hours of sports entertainment content excreted onto your screen by the WWE is made to please an audience of one rapey, racist, abusive, narcissistic, probably-brain-damaged human dumpster fire; and not only does he eat up those stereotypes with a smile and a search for second helpings, he thinks they’re :goodshit: and ratings gold, and no one will ever gainsay him

the end of Vince/the WWE (because I don’t think either will long outlive the other) is gonna look like King Lear with no Cordelia and no Fool, imo. just terrible people being monstrous to each other for the prize of an ever dwindling empire of ruins :munch:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

As scummy as Vince is, he was surrounded by scumbags in the industry during the 1970s and 1980s, which a lot of us rasslin' fans like to refer to as the "territory days", when the National Wrestling Alliance was the predominant wrestling brand with a ton of affiliated territories under its tent. Places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Tampa, as well as having overseas territories in places like Japan, Mexico, and Australia. Even the WWE first started out as a territory, with Vince's dad running the WWWF in the Northeast until he decides to officially break away from the NWA. Even then, he still had "working agreements" with many of the other promoters and they'd exchange talent, largely because he had Andre the Giant pretty much locked into an exclusive deal, and Andre was a guaranteed attraction that drew big money no matter where he went. So they played nice with Vince's dad if they wanted to use him, and they'd send guys to him and also stayed out of the Northeast (and in turn, he stayed out of the other areas, an unwritten rule which Vince broke almost immediately upon taking over the company).

On the one hand, the old wrestling territories produced some of the hottest feuds and biggest stars; guys like Flair, Steamboat, Piper, Sting, etc. were all products of the territory system. Legendary feuds like the Von Erichs vs. the Freebirds came out of those territories.

Then on the other hand, you have locker room bullying that would put fraternity hazing to shame; promoters like Bill Watts who not only hosed guys around on pay but also liked to kick them in the ribs to remind them who was in charge; and Fritz Von Erich pushing his sons so hard that when they inevitably couldn't live up to the superhero-like status that fans in the Dallas territory held them up to, three of them (Mike, Chris, and Kerry) wound up committing suicide. And that's all just barely scratching the surface. Numerous other examples abound. Jim Ross once compared the NWA to the Mafia and the crime families across the US that ran it, and he probably wasn't too far off.

Vince is still the worst, though, but that's mainly by virtue of his being the last man standing and having a longer time to cement his legacy as a scummy rear end in a top hat. It certainly wasn't for lack of competition from the other promoters back in the day.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Archer666 posted:

The man may be an absolute lunatic, but he throws 100% of himself into his performances. With regards to this, iirc he didn't break character until after he WALKED backstage on his ruined quads and off camera, where he slipped the mask and yelled in pain and collapsed..

lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kuato posted:

Don’t bother trying to help this loving imbecile learn anything. He’s literally incapable of learning. :smuggo:

I’m learning to wrestle just for you, you stupid jabroni! I’m about to pipe drive your dumb face ! I’m ready for our match, I’ve been training since the lockdowns, gently caress YOU KIATO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still lol that apparently Vince's dad cucked Trump's dad and they may actually be brothers