Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sel3fjl6uyo

the voices are not what I expecting but i don't hate them at least, but HOLY MOTHER OF GOD does this look amazing

A videogame adaptation that is both extremely accurate to the source material and also genuinely good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I started watching Final Space the other day. Didn't really like the first season that much, but so far season 2 seems way better, primarily because they toned down the main character's shtick a lot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hexmage-SA posted:

I started watching Final Space the other day. Didn't really like the first season that much, but so far season 2 seems way better, primarily because they toned down the main character's shtick a lot.
He's mellowed down by the strong supporting cast.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

His insufferability in the first season was balanced by the shots every episode of him floating in space, introspecting while he waits for death. I found those scenes genuinely compelling and they're probably what kept me going through the first season. Well, those and David Tennant.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I mostly went through season 1 because I had a long train ride and not much else to do, so I was way more lenient. I miss doing that.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
This is probably too dumb/obscure but it occurs to me that in Centaurworld, Horse's Tail is not dissimilar from the Horiffic Necktie from Disco Elysium.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Hey look you guys. More cartoons for us grownups :downs:

https://twitter.com/animatedplus/status/1486900608325996547?t=ezM0pJKIWOtearMySES9ZA&s=19

Boy they certainly made a choice when they decided to animate this all in Bitmoji. This almost looks like it was pitched as some sort of tie-in with Facebook Horizons, which rightfully got dropped because it was an awful, stupid idea

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 3, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This isn't animation. It's anti-animation. It's the devil.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Geez, that looks like it’d fit in perfectly next to popular flash cartoons Mr. Wong and Queer Duck on Icebox.com.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's like South Park and Archer had a baby, then forced it to watch the worst adult cartoons in existence, Clockwork Orange style.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Every time I caught parts of Final Space on TV it was always unfunny comedy or every character weeping about how much they love their space family.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The animation style looks cheap and dumb, but if you look past that to the writing that the cheap animation is delivering, it looks more garbage and uninteresting.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh wow, I've watched a LOT of garbage in my time but Fairview looks too horrible to even sit through to see how bad it is.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

On the positive side, Smiling Friends owns.

e: New South Park episode's entertainment rapidly depreciates when it's political angle becomes apparent, news at 11

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 3, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Happy Landfill posted:

https://twitter.com/animatedplus/status/1486900608325996547?t=ezM0pJKIWOtearMySES9ZA&s=19

Boy they certainly made a choice when they decided to animate this all in Bitmoji. This almost looks like it was pitched as some sort of tie-in with Facebook Horizons, which rightfully got dropped because it was an awful, stupid idea

christ. that looks awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07T95sS0omM&t

i feel like zach hedel had good point about dumb poo poo like this. too much adult animation relies on either a comedians vehicle or sex/drug/big swears/gore as humor. sure shows like smiling friends, helluva boss, venture bros and other animated shows have that in spades but they also use the animation to do stuff live action shows couldn't or have actual good characters or know how to have timing or gently caress have a good art style.

Mantis42 posted:

e: New South Park episode's entertainment rapidly depreciates when it's political angle becomes apparent, news at 11

yeah as a fan of south park(least various older episodes) it sucks poo poo with politics on so many levels.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Landfill posted:

I don't know I think it's a bold new move to make a show worse than Brickleberry.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

Why is it that adult animation is often so poorly animated? Is there just not enough money in that market? Is it because they're trying to appeal to the kind of people who won't watch animation cause they think it's all for kids? Is it South Park?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

christ. that looks awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07T95sS0omM&t

i feel like zach hedel had good point about dumb poo poo like this. too much adult animation relies on either a comedians vehicle or sex/drug/big swears/gore as humor. sure shows like smiling friends, helluva boss, venture bros and other animated shows have that in spades but they also use the animation to do stuff live action shows couldn't or have actual good characters or know how to have timing or gently caress have a good art style.
Oh wow, clip content aside, I had no idea Zach actually sounded like that in real life, hahaha. I thought he was doing a funny voice for Smiling Friends.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Elman posted:

Why is it that adult animation is often so poorly animated? Is there just not enough money in that market? Is it because they're trying to appeal to the kind of people who won't watch animation cause they think it's all for kids? Is it South Park?

I forget if I mentioned it here or in another thread but apparently due to the success Family Guy had after it's revival a lot of executives in the TV industry think that in order to be successful an Adult Animated show has to be ugly and poorly written and animated and for the humor to be mostly derived from the characters being sarcastic cynical assholes to each other with grotesque shock moments(whether violent, sexual, or scatological in nature) for seasoning

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
But… Archer is beautiful and is clearly way, way more of an influence on these shows than Family Guy is…?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bust Rodd posted:

But… Archer is beautiful and is clearly way, way more of an influence on these shows than Family Guy is…?

Archer is a rare exception at least in terms of visuals, it definitely fits the mold for what I was talking about regarding it's writing though

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

TwoPair posted:

I don't know I think it's a bold new move to make a show worse than Brickleberry Paradise PD

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I forget if I mentioned it here or in another thread but apparently due to the success Family Guy had after it's revival a lot of executives in the TV industry think that in order to be successful an Adult Animated show has to be ugly and poorly written and animated and for the humor to be mostly derived from the characters being sarcastic cynical assholes to each other with grotesque shock moments(whether violent, sexual, or scatological in nature) for seasoning

Yeah, I absolutely not shocked by that.

JazzFlight posted:

Oh wow, clip content aside, I had no idea Zach actually sounded like that in real life, hahaha. I thought he was doing a funny voice for Smiling Friends.

Oh yeah, Charlie is basically his regular. It’s very much a richard horvitz type deal where he basically sounds like that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like how they looked at stuff like ATHF and Space Ghost and saw that it was taking limited animation to a whole new level and still somehow being incredibly funny, sometimes specifically because the animation was hilarious even though it was simplistic as hell.

Or like Home Movies, where the animation is crude (or starts out that way at least, being basically the Squigglevision of Dr. Katz which was just a band-aid to cover the fact that it was just people sitting on couches talking to each other) but gains its own subtlety and character and charm.

But they ignored that because they're not animators and they don't know what makes things funny, they're just on a mission to find something they can crank out for N seasons without having that enormous "animation" line-item.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I think there's also this conception that "better animated=for kids", because most skilled animators in the US have worked almost exclusively in children's entertainment for so long. For example, up until the twist at the end of the first episode of Invincible my cousin thought it was a kids' show.

While listening to the Q&A for the first three episodes of The Legend of Vox Machina it came up that the animators (who had previously mostly worked for kid-friendly shows) initially were depicting combat more along the lines of how the recent She-Ra series would and had to be told "you guys have permission to be way more violent and really gently caress characters up".

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 3, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

It's like how they looked at stuff like ATHF and Space Ghost and saw that it was taking limited animation to a whole new level and still somehow being incredibly funny, sometimes specifically because the animation was hilarious even though it was simplistic as hell.

Or like Home Movies, where the animation is crude (or starts out that way at least, being basically the Squigglevision of Dr. Katz which was just a band-aid to cover the fact that it was just people sitting on couches talking to each other) but gains its own subtlety and character and charm.

But they ignored that because they're not animators and they don't know what makes things funny, they're just on a mission to find something they can crank out for N seasons without having that enormous "animation" line-item.

yeah, also those shows are actually weird and clever with their humor, do they get very gross sometimes, sure then again, ATHF has probably the rape joke centered episode that i found funny, its not that its tasteful or good, its just the only one i ever found funny because i usually don't laugh at that poo poo. idk, the dog gaslighting carl makes me cackle every time.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 3, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mantis42 posted:

I haven't kept up with South Park what has that been up to?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think a lot of it is how it's not "cool" to look like you've put in effort (and sometimes even a purposefully garbage look can draw more attention and make a show seem more "counter culture"), crossed with some series having genuinely low budgets they have to work with, and then if a "proper" animator isn't involved in running things, it's harder to efficiently stretch that budget.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

its more like
https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1428817043713773571?t=Sv0r8m9otUJUG5tnQe1lBA&s=19
(thread)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This has always fascinated me. Just the whole concept of every show having a unique style, just there BEING as many unique styles as there are shows, or artists (and then when a show gets greenlit, you have to hire an army of artists to mimic the show's originator's style perfectly).

It's crazy how much infrastructure there is built up around what in a "rational" world should be a system where there is just one art style and everybody emulates it or something. But they have to reinvent literally every piece of the visual language for every single new project that gets created. And they're all so different that you can look at any frame out of context and immediately tell what show it's from.

But that diversity of styles is paramount because it's art, and it's novelty, and it's what people respond to.

It's as nuts as there being how many untold billions of people in the world over history, but you can not only recognize one out of the whole crowd, you can even distinguish between lookalikes based on the tiniest of details in their facial structures.

Anyway that's just a dumb existential tangent but it's part of why animation has always held me spellbound

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 3, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s one of the reasons I think Arcane is so special. Even if you took another talented studio and gave them all the pipeline tools Arcane made for their show, there’s such an insanely strong art direction in the series that you can tell that there’s just a confluence of raw skill under the hood. The accents, the backgrounds, the millions of little details in every frame, Arcane is a singular artistic product that manages to have a Disney sized animation and production budget but hasn’t had all the creativity sapped from it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While I know about people from one show going on to another, I feel like there isn't actually a lot of stylistic overlap between adult cartoons, especially the ones that purposefully look like trash. Maybe I don't watch enough adult shows to see similarities, but the only adult shows I do see stylistic similarities between are ones that are more "properly" animated and aren't blatantly trying to be cheap as hell, like Family Guy and American Dad. Lower Decks also was created by a guy who was a writer at Rick and Morty.

I've been learning some about early animation lately, and back in like the 30s you have a lot of similarities being driven by people going through the process of figuring out the same things about animation (or just ripping off ideas) as well as animators jumping between studios.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

That's extremely weird because while I'd hardly call FG a stunning pillar of animation, it doesn't look badly animated at all. I mean the complaint about the writing is valid but it doesn't look bad at all. Same for a lot of modern stuff like Rick & Morty, Bojack, or Archer.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I feel like there is always, and has always, been a combination of "We figured out a content pipeline so we can churn out a few more shows like this" and "People love this, copy copy copy".

Historically we know this already. Look at Hannah-Barbara, kings of TV animation. All of their shows fall into broad categories like "Animal with a collar and hat does wacky poo poo", "Scooby doo Madlibs", "It's a famous actor, but they're a cartoon", and "It's just a bunch of car cells we drew once, leave us alone we're really hungover". Most classical animation houses relied heavily on pipelines, and general animation trends over the decades have all come about because sometimes you do just find a generally applicable idea.

Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies are one example of that, which most of the general public has lost the knowledge of the fact that they were a parody (or straight copy depending on your mood) of Silly Symphonies from Disney. Also I'm pretty sure that most people these days mentally autocorrect "Looney Tunes" into "Looney Toons" thinking it's supposed to be "Toon" for cartoon.

It's also been a long running standard to make cartoons as cheap as possible. Sure, that bitmoji show or Family Guy/American Dad or whatever can look cheap, but compared to early Hannah-Barbara cartoons they are masterpieces. Have you seen some of them recently? It's 90% recycled cells. Old scooby doo's reused so many assets and slapped cells over new backgrounds all the time, and every episode has the "run away, do the door thing, ok rip the mask off" sequence. But even inside of shows with a "lazy" pipeline like Family Guy you sometimes get moments where they decide to break the mold and make some really out there animation. (Even if the rumor of "Seth M only did those bits to cost Fox a poo poo load of licensing money" is true).

And I'm not saying "IT WAS ALWAYS poo poo, STUPID CARTOONS" and I'm not saying it was a bad thing. Because for every "Animal in a hat and collar" show that gets churned out you have something piece like Disney's "To Sing at the Met". Networks gotta fill airtime, and these shows have their place, but it is funny to watch people online complain about stuff like "CAL ARTS STYLE RUINS MY SHOWS" as if that hasn't always been how things work.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Didn't see this get posted yet, but apparently Disenchantment is still going, and its next season is starting soon:

https://twitter.com/disenchantment/status/1488195379250151426

Time for me to once again ritually watch bunch of new episodes despite being constantly disappointed the entire way through.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

would you say it's. disench:supaburn:

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Disenchantment is consistently in the running for Most I Wish This Show Was Better Than It Is because it's just barely funny and charming and interesting enough for me to keep watching without ever truly making me feel engaged by the drat thing. I do think someone with way more time and energy than anything I have could go in, edit every episode down to 22 minutes, and you'd have something a lot better paced at the very least. The Netflix episode length problem is real.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I watched season one, saw how it ended on a big cliffhanger with some melodramatic family stuff and immediately checked out forever.

It just needed to be like Futurama where episodes are completely standalone but occasionally add to an ongoing story, but instead it fell into the trap of needing to tell an ongoing story with real stakes and it just felt completely forced and unnecessary. It's okay for a sitcom to just be a sitcom.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
For me, it's always been Squandered Potential: The Show. A prominent example that stands out for me was when I watched the first season, I was completely unfamiliar with Matt Berry and Eric Andre. And then after I was introduced to the former via What We Do in the Shadows and the latter in The Eric Andre Show and then finally made the voice actor connection, I almost couldn't believe how both were being so wasted.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Thing 1: gently caress!

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1489388917874999304?s=20&t=chvjChpNZPf5H3Gf7_2pbA

Thing 2: It's technically not a show for adults but a lot of people here will probably really like Kid Cosmic. I just binged the last season and it's one of my favorite animated series to come around in years. It's super charming and and worth checking out if you don't mind shows that are aimed at kids.

https://twitter.com/CrackMcCraigen/status/1489340648926814208?s=20&t=chvjChpNZPf5H3Gf7_2pbA