Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, so, here's kind of an odd question, maybe...

I'm really surprised to hear people talking about Vampire Survivors? A week ago a friend of mine bought it for me and I thought it was fun but like, I'd never heard of it before. Why are people talking about it?

e: God fuckin dammit I hate being at the top of the page!

credburn fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The game exploded in popularity over the holidays and then it just kinda rolled on from there.

Vampire Survivors is currently the 20th most played game on Steam. 33K players in-game.

EDIT: The player chart is astonishing: https://steamdb.info/app/1794680/graphs/

The day before the marked one on the image, it had 72 players.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 3, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

credburn posted:

I'm really surprised to hear people talking about Vampire Survivors? A week ago a friend of mine bought it for me and I thought it was fun but like, I'd never heard of it before. Why are people talking about it?

I'm kinda stumped too. It's fun, but it's a nearly direct clone of a free Android game from a year ago with a fraction of the content.

I played Vampire Survivors for 3 hours, died one time and saw 100% of the game's content but people keep talking about it like it's some kind of difficult and complex game with dozens of hours of entertainment :confused: I have zero clue how it got as big as it has other than just random viral lottery.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the big thing that enabled that is it's extremely cheap

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm kinda stumped too. It's fun, but it's a nearly direct clone of a free Android game from a year ago with a fraction of the content.

I played Vampire Survivors for 3 hours, died one time and saw 100% of the game's content but people keep talking about it like it's some kind of difficult and complex game with dozens of hours of entertainment :confused: I have zero clue how it got as big as it has other than just random viral lottery.

it's got the x factor op, plus you're not fighting ink blots of different sizes which adds additional x factor. it's just a lot more charming.

i've played it for ... 16 hours, and i am still enjoying it. it's neither difficult or complex but if you want to obliterate a screen full of evil bats with weaponised pigeons, there's nothing else like it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I thought it was just an evolution of Overture

sebmojo posted:

it's got the x factor op, plus you're not fighting ink blots of different sizes which adds additional x factor. it's just a lot more charming.

Honestly I can only think of a few enemies from Vampire Survivors. There are bats, uh, mud guys in the library... skeletons... they may as well be ink blots because I can't think of any others even though I know there are many.

credburn fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 3, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

credburn posted:

I thought it was just an evolution of Overture

Honestly I can only think of a few enemies from Vampire Survivors. There are bats, uh, mud guys in the library... skeletons... they may as well be ink blots because I can't think of any others even though I know there are many.

I'll see how many i can do from memory

bats, glowy bats, glowy steel bats, werewolves, ghosts, skeletons, skeletons with red bandanas, headless guys, witches on brooms, werewolves, screamy red exploding ladies, praying mantises, medusa, stone face guys, wizard, green shambly things, devils, evil flowers, skulls, and i guess death but he doesn't really count.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you forgot buers

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghostlight posted:

you forgot buers

i did!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

zoux posted:

While we're on it, I've heard tell that if you refund too many games or whatever they suspend those privileges, so I've always kind of held off unless the game was just loving terrible. Is that true at all.

I refund games regularly because I am interested in a wide array of games but end up keeping and finishing only the ones that really grab me. Only in January I've refunded 24 games, I don't even read the e-mails, as long as they refund me :shrug:

e: to be clear, I always refund to Steam Wallet because I will spend them on games in the future anyway

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Serephina posted:

If the default "purchase this item as a gift" thing doesn't work (Aren't they just codes? Does the recipient get an error message when trying to redeem them?), consider third party retailers as I've had good luck using them and they've been good about labeling where things can and cannot be redeemed. G2A.com iirc?

Sab669 posted:

Perhaps you could buy a Steam Gift card via Amazon.au or whatever their website is and then send them the code to redeem?

Saoshyant posted:

Check the Fanatical or Humble stores to see if they sell the DLC in question. Buy from there, send the codes. You aren't limited to buy from Steam to get a Steam game, since publishers can resell Steam keys through a ton of third parties.

Thanks for the suggestions! In the end I found a season pack that was giftable (since the price differential was closer than with the cheaper packs) which worked out to $12 whereas the sites I checked weren't discounted and therefore around $20 (The original small packs I wanted would have worked out around $6)

Still, good to have a few extra tools available since no doubt it will happen again.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Well, I was vaguely curious about Vampire Survivors, but your post made me check Magic Survival and now I'm playing that instead. :v:

I don't know if it would hold my interest long on PC (which is why I was hesitant about buying VS), but it's pretty much perfect phone game.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/369C-3E9F-76FD-DEDA

I was interested in what Steam offered for refunds vs what their actual legal obligations were and it seems that they only need (by EU law) to allow you to get a refund within 2 weeks of purchase, but the 2 hour trial or even having downloaded the game at all isn't part of that.

So I guess technically they could remove the 2-hour trial window or the whole thing outright depending on where you live and the intimidation emails are that they legally could do just that and how dare you take advantage of them and their generosity. Because of whatever tiny processing fee they would need to eat every time I guess.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean if you're so good at the game that you rarely die then I guess it might lose its shine fast. But otherwise it just feels fun to become a death machine. Lots of games aren't very varied-- did anyone really get fed up with Tetris after an hour all 'I have seen everything this has to offer'? If the basic loop catches you, it's fun.

I'm saying the problem is you are too good at games. Get bad loser

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I actually just tried Magic Survivals, and while it looks good/better in a lot of ways, there is one key difference: In Magic Survival, XP just randomly spawns on the ground rather than being dropped from killed enemies. That's the main advantage of Vampire Survivors, since carving through a giant horde of enemies and hearing the XP go dingdingding activates the lizard brain like nothing else.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I mean if you're so good at the game that you rarely die then I guess it might lose its shine fast. But otherwise it just feels fun to become a death machine. Lots of games aren't very varied-- did anyone really get fed up with Tetris after an hour all 'I have seen everything this has to offer'? If the basic loop catches you, it's fun.

I'm saying the problem is you are too good at games. Get bad loser

:hmmyes:

I think a part of it is also just that the dev picked really good music / sounds effects for the Chests and XP gem pickups.

Not all sound design is equal, and those just trigger that sweet sweet happy chemical for whatever reason

Edit

Oxxidation posted:

me: kills a bat
me: gets a gem
me: i'd like to do this forever for some reason

As is often the case, someone else said it much better than I did

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 3, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Perestroika posted:

I actually just tried Magic Survivals, and while it looks good/better in a lot of ways, there is one key difference: In Magic Survival, XP just randomly spawns on the ground rather than being dropped from killed enemies. That's the main advantage of Vampire Survivors, since carving through a giant horde of enemies and hearing the XP go dingdingding activates the lizard brain like nothing else.

You actually also gain mana (ie XP) by killing enemies as well. It's just not really noticeable at the beginning, but as more advanced enemies spawn, you get more and more mana from them. By minute 20 or so my leveling was like 80-90% enemies and 10-20% mana crystals. I also saw an ability that reduced mana gain form enemies to 0 while tripling the amount of mana you get from crystals on the ground, so there are also modifiers like that in the game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, they really put a ton of marketing effort into DL2 for what looks like Just Another Zombie Game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Broken Cog posted:

Man, they really put a ton of marketing effort into DL2 for what looks like Just Another Zombie Game.

So like a sequel to Dying Light 1?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Broken Cog posted:

I'd imagine they're betting the farm pretty big on it, Techland has kind of a mixed track record and they haven't released a new game since the original Dying Light in 2015. They probably need to make some money lol, DL2 saw a few delays and it's not a live service cash shop game or anything so they really just need to sell a lot of copies of it. They've probably got my $60, it's been long enough since I've gotten into a dumb open world game and full 4 player co-op looks really fun.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The parkour really elevated Dying Light imo. I ignored it for years and when I finally played it I ended up really loving it. If you enjoy exploring and just moving through a world you should give it a try. The first one is on sale for very cheap very often.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah thematically it’s a zombie game, but DL really seems to be about the parkour and actually good first person melee combat, both of which basically don’t exist otherwise anywhere else right now. The first game sold a ton of copies and I assume this one is going to have a massive launch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I still genuinely want an explanation for why that one guy here thought releasing a big open world game right now was super oof for the zeitgeist

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Dying Light's pakour was significantly more fun that Mirror's Edge imo

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Aphex- posted:

Is has the major advantage that you can incorporate flying-kicking zombies into spike traps.

The progression/unlock was a bit hosed though and I'm disappointed to hear they doubled down on that in DL2.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any chance DL2 will show up on legal key stores like Fanatical? I dont see it for sale anywhere except on steam, and given i'm in germany I can only buy the censored version.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FrickenMoron posted:

Any chance DL2 will show up on legal key stores like Fanatical? I dont see it for sale anywhere except on steam, and given i'm in germany I can only buy the censored version.

In my experience, when there's legal requirements, Fanatical receives the keys with the same region restrictions as they are on Steam. So that's probably not the way to go, unfortunately.

Aphex- posted:

Also, this series has now my attention. Couldn't give a poo poo about zombies, but fun parkour? Better than Mirror's Edge? Gotta check it out (at some point).

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

FrickenMoron posted:

Word is there's no region lock on keys and we can buy the international version from Techland directly and it activates fine: https://store.techland.net/Dying-Light-2-Stay-Human/

I didn't try, I'll wait a few patches.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Saoshyant posted:

In my experience, when there's legal requirements, Fanatical receives the keys with the same region restrictions as they are on Steam. So that's probably not the way to go, unfortunately.

Yep but you can at least activate these via VPN and not get the censored version that way. I'll check out the official store.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm actually looking into checking the first one out myself, but I was a little bewildered by all the DLC and different editions. The base game isn't sold anymore.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You don't really need any DLC except The following which is the expansion if you enjoy the base game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Yeah but it's on computer

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ErrEff posted:

I'm actually looking into checking the first one out myself, but I was a little bewildered by all the DLC and different editions. The base game isn't sold anymore.

You basically have to buy what was originally DLC now. The Enhanced Edition is all you need, the only things it doesn’t have that the platinum edition does is a bunch of skins. The DLC bundle is there for people who bought the base game but no DLC.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

explosivo posted:

True I've only ever played super mario brothers once because every subsequent run will be exactly the same so why play it again?

Should have gave up after I won my first dota game

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

credburn posted:

A couple of streamers with five figure audiences picked it up recently, that's how I found out it existed.

It looked mildly entertaining and costs less than a sandwich, so I picked it up. A couple of days later a rather big gaming magazine website also published an article.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I still genuinely want an explanation for why that one guy here thought releasing a big open world game right now was super oof for the zeitgeist

Probably just read too many grumpy reviewers who got burned out rushing through another 80 hour game to hit a deadline. I don't think it's just reviewers who have a bit of open world fatigue though, since there was a pretty big backlash when they tweeted that insane thing about how you can spend hundreds of hours playing the game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't give a gently caress about zombies and consider them an active negative addition

I had a ton of fun playing DL1 coop

first person parkour and slicing dudes heads off with a flaming katana is fun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sinteres posted:

Probably just read too many grumpy reviewers who got burned out rushing through another 80 hour game to hit a deadline. I don't think it's just reviewers who have a bit of open world fatigue though, since there was a pretty big backlash when they tweeted that insane thing about how you can spend hundreds of hours playing the game.

This, and the general backlash against crunch for content-heavy open world games a la Rockstar/Cyberpunk

it's a combination of that, fatigue of "big" games, nostalgia for "AA" games, backlash to same-y cinematic third-person AAA games/ubisoft-esque games, et al.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 3, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Oh my god.

Buy Vampire Survivors. It's fun.

It's 3$.

You will either be hooked in the first 10 minutes or not - and if you're like homie upthread who beat it in 3 hours that gives you a chance to try 2/3 of a game that has captured the zeitgeist for being just a purely, simply, tiny fun game.

Because you can, as is evident from the past couple of pages, refund the 3$ game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

buddy buying a game because it's dirt cheap is how i ended up with a steam backlog of 500 games i'm never gonna loving play i don't care if it's three cents