Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mymla posted:

There's no meaningful difference between the zelda series and metroidvanias.
You never get a double jump in zelda, topic locked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Martman posted:

You never get a double jump in zelda, topic locked

Minish Cap and one of the two Oracle games. :c00lbert:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mymla posted:

There's no meaningful difference between the zelda series and metroidvanias.

The Zelda series is now breath of the wild. Topic locked.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arrhythmia posted:

The Zelda series is now breath of the wild. Topic locked.

Breath of the wild is not a Zelda game. Topic locked.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Breath of the wild is not a Zelda game. Topic locked.

Topic reopened. Zelda's in it. It's a Zelda game. Topic locked.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Metroidvanias are sandwiches.

Zelda is a hot dog.

Devil May Cry is a pizza.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

GimmickMan posted:

Metroidvanias are sandwiches.

Zelda is a hot dog.

Devil May Cry is a pizza.

What’s a calzone

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

skasion posted:

What’s a calzone

Castlevania

Calzonevania

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arrhythmia posted:

Topic reopened. Zelda's in it. It's a Zelda game. Topic locked.

She's in Smash, too. And the Great Gatsby. Neither are Zelda games. Topic locked.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

She's in Smash, too. And the Great Gatsby. Neither are Zelda games. Topic locked.

All Zelda games. Topic locked.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Thread locked.

Till Silksong comes out.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

1. there is no NG+.
2. hollow knight specifically opens up as soon as you get the mantis claw.
3. devil may cry is in no way a metroidvania.
4. silksong is never coming out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Thread locked.

Till Silksong comes out.

There's a separate silksong thread

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

poor fools...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I only post there when a Nintendo Direct is announced.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is it 1 year or 2 years since we got that magazine article with barely any info?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

Is it 1 year or 2 years since we got that magazine article with barely any info?

1 year.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TOO LONG!!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm playing through Hollow Knight again, and I decided to play the whole game overcharmed to add a certain pizzazz to the experience.

I proceeded to immediately die to the Brooding Mawlek like five times in a row. Brutal boss early in the game.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Goddamn Nightmare Grimm does not gently caress around. I've yet to manage triggering his bullet hell phase even once.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nightmare King Grimm rules, Team Cherry did a great job designing that fight. He has clearly defined tells and countering his moves is straightforward, but your reaction time and execution has to be on point because he's so fast, and he tends to drag you around the arena so your technique has to be flexible. That's a lot of plates to spin. Focus on figuring out a good way to avoid damage from each move, then figure out how to hit him 1 time per move - that's enough to beat him. Then figure out how to be cheeky and take more than 1 hit

Other tips:
- I found that trying to heal just broke my rhythm and would get me killed. Be defensive instead, focus on not taking damage.
- Equipping for nail damage and nail range is very good here. If you can get 1 hit per move then it's better to make those hits count
- If you absolutely can't deal damage during his faster attacks without getting hit, then just focus on dealing damage when he floats around creating fire pillars.
- When he shoots bats at you, if you stick to the ground then really only 1 bat is actually able to hit you. You can basically run right at him, do a little hop over that bat, and get free hits. Even better, you can just shadow blink through that bat
- His uppercut is worth 2 free hits if you get the timing right. You need to jump over him as he slides towards you, so that's a pogo hit. He'll go far enough past you that you're in the clear at that point, so you can turn around in mid-air and hit him again as he does the uppercut.
- When he balloons up (bullet hell) you can deal damage to him with spells (*at least* abyss shriek works, not sure about others). It's fun spam abyss shriek and force him to start a new balloon sequence right after finishing the previous one

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
A couple of notes on NKG after I had to fight him a billion times to make sure that I was okay for the boss rush. (Please note that the videos have spoilers for the themes of the boss rush, even though they're just NKG footage)

1. Shape of Unn gives you a healing window during the bats attack. You can heal for two health and as long as you walk towards him while you're healing, the bats can't hit you. Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJOOBgp3hjA&t=3213s

2. This is probably the most important. The Shoryuken is easiest to deal with using the Shade Cloak. Wait until he appears and just dash towards him. The forward movement from the uppercut will make him pass through you. From there as long as you are beneath where he disappeared, the fireballs won't hit you. Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X0QuooF2vE&t=3179s

imo this is the best and fairest fight in the game. If you get good enough, you can very very reliably clear it without being hit once.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I actually found that the Shoryuken is best done by dodging away. It places you in a spot to land a hit or two before the uppercut and the fireballs will land harmlessly on either side of you.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

All spells work on the balloon phase as far as I know, but I usually just focus on dodging there. I save my soul for when he does the divekick with the light trail that hurts you. I used to get hit by the tail end of the light trail, and since descending dark gives you so much invincibility, I found it a lot more consistent to pogo on his initial divekick and then use descending dark to get in another free hit and let the invincibility frames save me from having to worry.

If you get comfortable dodging that attack it's not necessary of course, but might as well use that soul somewhere. Like was already said, it's hard to heal in this fight without something like shape of unn unless you heal during his bat form.

Once you learn a consistent way to dodge each attack, the fight isn't that bad. It's still dangerous because mistakes can compound and he does two damage per hit, but at least there's only a handful of patterns to learn and they don't come at you non-stop. If one attack in particular is getting you wrecked, feel free to ask here or just do what I did and abuse i-frames to not worry about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Beating NGK took me legit 2 years of attempts on and off before I finally did it this summer.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nightmare King was the point where I thought 'this was a pretty good game and I enjoyed my time but I do not love it enough to learn this hellish fight', so congrats to him I guess that's the first time I've had to do that since Ballos in Cave Story

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Silksong is never coming out.

For some reason there are a lot of Korean HK fanart people so here is hollowswag

https://twitter.com/harvest_cherry/status/1483144374045544448?t=ilNewsw5qwNttyYbQp8n1Q&s=19

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Silksong is going to be the world's first 80 hour Metroidvania

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
One hour of game time = one year of dev time. Can't rush perfection.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

NKG was impossible for me until I realized that the fireballs tracked you so you can get a guaranteed heal in by jumping over the first one, causing the other two to aim high enough for you to heal uninterrupted.

Then it was merely really hard.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

No Dignity posted:

Nightmare King was the point where I thought 'this was a pretty good game and I enjoyed my time but I do not love it enough to learn this hellish fight', so congrats to him I guess that's the first time I've had to do that since Ballos in Cave Story

beating ballos is way easier than getting to ballos. of course, you do have to get there with enough life left to take a few hits. but if you can get there semi-consistently you can definitely beat the fight.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The easy mode solution beat NKG is Sharp Shadow, Unn, Deep Focus, Grubsong. Sharpshadow makes it significantly easier to get hits on Grim and dodge attacks, and the healing charm combo lets you easily heal 6 masks whenever he does the flame pillar attack.

The rest is just discovering and learning the responses to each of his attacks. Because of how he starts and ends each attack by teleporting you can reliably react to them the same way every time with plenty of downtime between moves to prepare for the next, to the point that he becomes one of the easiest bosses to reliably no-hit clear.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I beat NKG by squeezing in one pip of Heal during the explosive fire columns

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Hellioning posted:

NKG was impossible for me until I realized that the fireballs tracked you so you can get a guaranteed heal in by jumping over the first one, causing the other two to aim high enough for you to heal uninterrupted.

Then it was merely really hard.

regular grimm does 3 bats that track, nightmare grimm does 4 bats in a high-low-high-low pattern

iirc my strategy for nightmare grimm was to run at him, hop over the first and then shade cloak through the fourth? With the right spacing you'll land right in front of him for a hit or two

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dash through the first bat and just walk under the second bat to deliver my insightful commentary (insightful commentary is what a call my rusty murder nail)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

NKG is probably my favorite boss fight in any game ever. Yes, it sucks to learn. Yes, the margin of error is tiny. But it is a fair fight, and the music and presentation make it feel as epic as it should be.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It crosses the line of reaction speed that I can handle in videogames so it doesn't really feel fair to me.

It is, however, very cool and that moment when you hear the music change for the first time because in all your tries you never lasted this long before is really something special.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i disagree that it sucks to learn. the intro and music start are badass and restarting the fight is like a 10 second dream transition + superdash.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

b_d posted:

i disagree that it sucks to learn. the intro and music start are badass and restarting the fight is like a 10 second dream transition + superdash.

10 second walk back is still too long imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Hell the god home walk backs are too long