Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I got a new ipad and pencil and keyboard case for notes at school and to whiteboard when on zoom. It's loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Silly Burrito posted:

It might've been you or someone else in this thread, but they mentioned that they used to tinker with Android and do all kinds of crap with it, but in the end they went to an iPhone because it just worked. I had Android for years and years because I could tinker with it, but I realized last year that I didn't really do any customizations to it because nothing really needed to be done to fit my needs. So I swapped back to an iPhone and use iMessage with my Mac and it just works. Yeah I miss out on a couple of things that I could sideload before but I honestly don't care now.

So yeah, if you're used to a Mac, you can try and get something else, but in the end, you'll miss it more than you thought you would.

I don’t know if I posted about it here but I definitely switched from Android after almost a decade because the tinkering got tiresome. There was also the matter of updates being constantly delayed…

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Looking at grad schools...why are they soooo expensive?????????????? :suicide:

Because the only people that pay for them are employers, aid programs (like VA) or rubes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

It might've been you or someone else in this thread, but they mentioned that they used to tinker with Android and do all kinds of crap with it, but in the end they went to an iPhone because it just worked.

Yeah that was me. And a big part of why I moved on. I just occasionally get the contrarian itch.

FizFashizzle posted:

Still got my MacBook from 2012 and it’s still going strong.

I had a 13” from 09 or 10 that performed beautifully until last year. This one was second hand from my wife’s tech company and got some hard use but it’s been a beast until suddenly not.

I’ve never had any issue with apple products so I’m likely to just pay the cost and move on. I also drive a Tacoma so I think we know how this goes.

Cry once, etc, ad nauseam.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Neil Armbong posted:

GDPR played a large part, as did general sentiments about privacy coming around to being v leary of it all.

What ad platforms can't get is your device id. They'd be able to see all the apps that have registered your device id with whatever ad/remarketing platform and tie activity together based on that. They now have to do probabilistic matching (lol) and at best can give you general ad performance/customer conversion, not specific user cohort performance which was facebook ad's bread & butter.

Can you further explain the nuance between knowing the device ID v knowing all the apps that know the device ID.

If the objective is advertisement, and if engagement is through apps, isn’t knowing all the apps associated with the device ID basically just as good as know the device ID itself?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
All this talk of Apple is very tempting, I'm in the market for a new phone as my Pixel 4 gets long in the tooth. I just don't want to move all of my poo poo from the Google ecosystem to the Apple ecosystem.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The Apple Hater has logged on.

Can't stand the software at all. I have to use an iPhone for work and fuuuuuuuuuck that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My pixel 3 is fine and I don't think I'll replace it for another five years or more. I do not have to tinker with it, at all. It has all the apps I could ever dream of wanting, and they all just work. I paid half price for it when it was on sale and google fi is cheap as hell.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I really like apple phones. Migrating my stuff from android wasn’t bad at all and iPhone apps work well with my Google stuff.

Years back I know that it was a pain, but now the iPhone seems to interact with pc/windows/Google stuff relatively painlessly.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
new macbook airs are probably going to show up in the spring event so if you can in any way hold off till then, you'll be getting probably an M2 mac rather than an M1. And they might come in colors, if that's a thing you care about.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CannonFodder posted:

All this talk of Apple is very tempting, I'm in the market for a new phone as my Pixel 4 gets long in the tooth. I just don't want to move all of my poo poo from the Google ecosystem to the Apple ecosystem.

Like what? I use Gmail, Google Keep, Google Docs, Youtube, etc. Work fine with Apple. I felt the same way you do, but about the only huge change was moving from Chrome to Safari to help with RAM, but I still keep a copy of Chrome on my phone and Mac just in case (even though Chrome on the iPhone is basically WebKit from what I understand). Other than that, I really can't think of a single Google thing I can't do now (I'm sure there's something, I just can't think of it). I'm not an Apple Koolaid drinker, but the stuff works pretty well together for the most part. It ain't perfect, but it's nice.

One cool thing I discovered by accident. If you make a Google Keep list and have an Apple Watch, you can pull up that app on the watch, get the latest grocery list, and check things off on your wrist without having to pull out your phone at the grocery store.

Edit: I did think of one thing: Siri is miles behind both Google and Amazon for voice recognition/usage. If I could swap out Siri for Google on the phone completely, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm sure I have a country accent for Siri, but when trying to use voice commands in Android Auto vs. CarPlay, Google wins every time. Siri works.....but it's definitely not as good.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 3, 2022

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Leperflesh posted:

My pixel 3 is fine and I don't think I'll replace it for another five years or more. I do not have to tinker with it, at all. It has all the apps I could ever dream of wanting, and they all just work. I paid half price for it when it was on sale and google fi is cheap as hell.

I have a Pixel 2 and it's still chugging along. I love this drat thing. Still eyeballing a Pixel 6 but I'm waiting until it's truly necessary.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got a fitbit versa 2, it has apps on it, alexa integration (so, lists), has spotify and pandora, too
also only cost $130

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I got a pixel 6 to replace my pixel 3 cause the battery was becoming lovely, Its pretty good, I got the pro for the better camera, but drat this is a big phone

I still miss my old windows phones :qq:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

I've got a fitbit versa 2, it has apps on it, alexa integration (so, lists), has spotify and pandora, too
also only cost $130

I wish Pebble had never died. Great friggin watch.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I'll get another Apple phone once they switch to USB-C chargers. The privacy settings on them are what I really want but I'll be hosed if I am switching out all my charging cables again.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Samadhi posted:

I'll get another Apple phone once they switch to USB-C chargers. The privacy settings on them are what I really want but I'll be hosed if I am switching out all my charging cables again.

The only holdout is the phone and it comes with the charging cable that's USB-C on one end and whatever it's called (lightning?) on the other. Just need a USB-C brick which you probably already have

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Can you further explain the nuance between knowing the device ID v knowing all the apps that know the device ID.

If the objective is advertisement, and if engagement is through apps, isn’t knowing all the apps associated with the device ID basically just as good as know the device ID itself?

It's one in the same. They don't know the device id any more, thus can't help connect activity across apps. They get a unique to each app/marketing platform id, so can't tie together activity like they can on android/pre-iOS 15 phones.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

linux on laptops sorta sucks. they always have the newest chips so there's a decent chance for some kind of bluetooth/wifi/graphics bugs, and they always lose like 10% battery life to windows.

the ideal laptop to put linux on is like a 1-3 year old dell/hp/lenovo. which is fine but it's not a macbook

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

The only holdout is the phone and it comes with the charging cable that's USB-C on one end and whatever it's called (lightning?) on the other. Just need a USB-C brick which you probably already have

I just use wireless chargers for everything anyway because it’s convenient. I have a Lightning cable in my bag just in case I need it when I travel but even that’s very rarely used.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i switched from a motorola g6 or thereabouts to a iphone se 2nd gen. the lightning cable is whatever, i think apple says it's more gunk-resistant than usb-c, but it's also nothing different than 2000-2015 where you had usb mini, micro, mini-B, usb 3, firewire, etc.

i was never a big phone app guy so i didn't care but it's nice getting actual security updates for more than a year and i don't think you can buy an android phone smaller than 6" anymore.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Never made it as a phone guy
Couldn't cut it as a tablet poster

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Neil Armbong posted:

It's one in the same. They don't know the device id any more, thus can't help connect activity across apps. They get a unique to each app/marketing platform id, so can't tie together activity like they can on android/pre-iOS 15 phones.

Interesting, that seems like a pretty big win for privacy!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

General Dog posted:

Never made it as a phone guy
Couldn't cut it as a tablet poster

This is how
Google reminds me

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

We were on the new phone every 2 years track for a long time, but the 3a's we have now have passed that mark and still hold a charge all day, so whatever. I'll get whatever a is current and on sale when this one needs charged by the time I leave work.

hifi posted:

the ideal laptop to put linux on is like a 1-3 year old dell/hp/lenovo. which is fine but it's not a macbook

:hmmyes: My last few laptops have been Lenovos after they were leased to a business for a few years. Throw whatever level of Linux I feel like loving around with on there, and it's a few hundred bucks for something I'll have for 3-5 years to play Factorio or Rimworld on the couch.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My sister's phone finally died and she got a new Pixel 6 on her own, which kinda stinks as I was going to go in halfsies with her husband on replacing it for her birthday (which unfortunately isn't until April).

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I was using a Macbook from 2011 until last year when SB got me a new one. It technically worked fine but was a bit sluggish and was too old for updates. That's a pretty good run for a laptop.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
RIP in piss

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1489326241035476995

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
They're trying to become Tiktok which is...well ambitious considering their user group.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Remember when Facebook pivoted to video a few years ago and lied about how the view count worked or something and a bunch of really good content creators cratered as a result?

I’m sure this time will be fine though

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Android Apocalypse posted:

They literally ripped off Lone Wolf & Cub… again.

At least I'm fairly sure Luke won't kill Grogu if he chooses the beskar chain mail shirt…

None of that has anything to do with Space Mobsters though :argh:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Freaquency posted:

Remember when Facebook pivoted to video a few years ago and lied about how the view count worked or something and a bunch of really good content creators cratered as a result?

I’m sure this time will be fine though

They also tried really hard to become the new streaming platform and paid out the rear end for exclusive rights to take guys away from twitch which failed. You love to see it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Remember when Facebook enabled a literal genocide?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

swickles posted:

Or facilitated a coup attempt on the American government?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There's a whole bunch of remember when's involved with facebook that are quite a bit worse than them trying to remind you of when you posted an embarrassing picture or whatever.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It’s funny because my company is building data centers for Facebook and the plan is to keep adding them for like 8 more years. Some days I wonder if Facebook will even be around that long. I guess they’re going the Amazon route and moving to data services.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s funny because my company is building data centers for Facebook and the plan is to keep adding them for like 8 more years. Some days I wonder if Facebook will even be around that long. I guess they’re going the Amazon route and moving to data services.

The demand for data centers is only gonna go up and up. Even if a tech company were to go under, it wouldn't be hard for for another company to take over their operations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Perhaps Jeffrey could use a data center.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

swickles posted:

Which time?

Silly Burrito posted:

Or facilitated a coup attempt on the American government?

Which time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Oh poo poo under 5 year old 5G vax are coming and the DLand signal got lit fuckin may gonna be liiiiiit

Gonna be crazy seeing a toddler lose their mind seeing Disney characters in person