Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

pentyne posted:

So am I reading this correctly and the sister has no job?

Yeah the wife can see the writing on the wall where the OP is planning to let his sister live there more or less rent free in perpetuity.

Yes. This is the evolved form of one partner spontaneously bringing home a pet without consulting their better half. Bringing home a freeloading human without discussing it with their partner. Even if OP were paying 100% of the bills, it would be lovely to permanently move in an additional person to a house without discussing it with his wife who also lives there but of course this is not the case and the wife is expected to cheerfully support the wannabe influencer and her cats.

r/relationships:She even tried to convince me to throw away her cats.

AITA for refusing to accept my father dating other women after the passing of my mother?

quote:

I (23F) have been living with my father (49M) for the past three years since my mother has passed. My mother died from uterine cancer and before she passed, on her death bed, my father promised to not think or seek other women after my mother died and that he sought out to be a loyal husband after her passed. Shortly after my mother’s passing, I decided to move in with my father since I felt bad that he was alone in the house he shared with my mother. I moved in with my (4F) daughter and from then on everything seemed to be going well. My father seemed happy to have my daughter and I around. Well after COVID hit, my job decided to keep me home and work from home for the time being. I stayed home, helped my dad around the house, and took care of my daughter in the meantime.

I began to notice after I was allowed to go back into my office last year that my father would suddenly become busy and couldn’t take care of my daughter like he used to when I was going into my office (pre-covid). One day I decided to ask him about why he wasn’t around as much anymore considering it’s technically his house. He then explained how he met someone while I was working from home and that he had been seeing her since I went back to work. I become frustrated and overwhelmed at the fact that my dad could do this after his whole promise to my mother on her death bed. The only thing that could run through my head was the fact that his promise could’ve been the last thought in my mom’s head before she died. He began to tell me that I had no reason to be overreacting since he thinks my mother would have wanted him to move on after she passed but I beg to differ since my mother loved him deeply and couldn’t stand to not be next to him or not go anywhere without him.

In her eyes he was her lifelong dream and she absolutely was infatuated with him. A couple months ago my father told me he may want his girlfriend to move into the house with us which ended up causing me to move into an apartment with my daughter over the feelings of betrayal and dishonesty from him. So, am I the rear end in a top hat for refusing to accept my fathers new relationship?
(added paragraph breaks)

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can't wait to be "influenced" by someone who lives on someone else's charity and doesn't do poo poo all day long.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Human Tornada posted:

Can't wait to be "influenced" by someone who lives on someone else's charity and doesn't do poo poo all day long.

She must be pretty influential if she can get her doormat brother to host her indefinitely.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

PetraCore posted:

That said I'm not exactly sympathetic to the person wanting to throw out another person's cats. Sister needs a day job, wife is being cruel, OP is playing 'woe is me caught in the middle' while addressing neither of these things properly.

Nah, if you don’t want someone else’s cats in you house, or if you don’t want someone else in your house barring extenuating circumstances, you’re usually not an rear end in a top hat to tell them to get out.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for walking out of my sister's wedding after she tried to use me as free childcare?

Just say you fell ill and had to leave. Why do all these people have to make a huge fuss that guarantees people will be upset and shittalk you to the entire family? Make up an excuse!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Tobermory posted:

AITA for telling my BIL he needs to leave my house?

Nah nah nah. It's 2022, the age of tiktok and youtube. You gotta film poo poo when it happens and upload it for public shaming and e-penis lengthening. I mean, clout. The kids these days call it clout, rght?

Bonus points if you get enough videos and views you show this moron how stupid he looks like. Hell, do a lil slideshow with all the comments.

Also the person edited with this comment

"Edit: they came by a day later my mom invited every over for dinner and dessert. My sister wanted to go but he didn’t want to, so she was going to leave without him. He got mad at that and grumpily threw himself in the car. But he never came inside to eat. He sat in the car for 2+ hours while everyone else was inside talking and eating."

TWO HOURS. Go for a walk, loser.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

thotsky posted:

Just say you fell ill and had to leave. Why do all these people have to make a huge fuss that guarantees people will be upset and shittalk you to the entire family? Make up an excuse!

Nahh, otherwise the people going out of their way to be rude and awful can feign ignorance about the consequences of their behavior.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Why is it his job to teach his sister manners? Just don't go to any of her events again.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

How many "influencers" are there that actually make money?

How many of those make more than slave wages or work less than every waking moment of every single day building parasocial relationships with people who, in all likelihood, will someday murder them?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've met folks who fall in two categories. The first is influencing as a side hustle in some niche hobby. They'd be doing the hobby anyway but the influencer dollars either offsets some of the costs or lets them do more or bigger projects than would be in the budget.

The ones I've met who make serious money are using influencing as covert advertising for some form of sex work.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for walking out of my sister's wedding after she tried to use me as free childcare?

Since then I've been nuked with calls from family calling me selfish and telling me that I'm effectively disowned unless I apologise.

Unless parents have a big stash of money or something I'm not really seeing the downside to this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
AITA for sending my family an angry email because they still speak to my ex-husband and even have him over, especially in light of his present “relationship” with a girl 20 years younger than him?

quote:

So basic background is I’m 42, two kids age 14 and 12 and signed divorce papers in April after almost 2 years of it being drug out trying to get my fair share from him. The details of “why” are not important but I’m angry, embarrassed, lost and sad any given moment of the day. A lot of this has to do with feeling like I’ve been “replaced” by a 23 year old surfing instructor who is everything I’m not. My husband and kids claims that she is just his friend and helping him learn his life long desire to surf but Jesus Christ...give me a break.

My husband has primary custody because he had better lawyers who were able to manipulate some minor missteps on my part into the court seeing them as a huge deal. So this past weekend I picked up the kids and said we were going to visit my parents. They said they would rather use thier season passes to sea world since they spent all weekend with my parents and Aunt Stacey and Uncle Brian (my brother and sister who I didn’t even know were in town). I was like your dad took you? They said yes that my parents had invited him over to see everyone. I was devastated because while I don’t get along with my brother and sister (and my mom) they let my ex-husband know they were coming and not me. I can’t even let that sink in without tears forming. I sort of jested that “oh and let me guess Ms Surf Instructor was there too?” My daughter said “well actually we all went to her house in ocean beach because she gave Stacey and Brian lessons after ours.” That included my mom and dad. I was so devastated I took the kids back home and just went home and cried for an hour.

When I was done I sent a furious email to my entire family how inappropriate they all had been and then not only hanging out with my ex for an entire weekend, but his little chippy as well is a massive slap in the face and the fact they didn’t even tell they were in town let alone invite me makes me feel so alone.

My mom was the only one to respond and she basically said “yes it was rude we didn’t tell you Stacey and Brian were here and we shouldn’t have done that. But we didn’t divorce Bradley, and we still see him as a son. This email along with your behavior over the last 5 years should really give you insight into why we might not want you at family events.”

In so many words she called me rear end in a top hat for sending the email, was I?

You can kind of figure it out pretty easily that the OP is a total piece of poo poo, but she then absolutely ethered herself in her replies when asked "hey, so why does your entire family hate you?"

quote:

Very condensed version I was seduced and basically mind controlled (like I said very condensed version) into a having an affair with a supplier at my company

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

pentyne posted:

AITA for sending my family an angry email because they still speak to my ex-husband and even have him over, especially in light of his present “relationship” with a girl 20 years younger than him?

You can kind of figure it out pretty easily that the OP is a total piece of poo poo, but she then absolutely ethered herself in her replies when asked "hey, so why does your entire family hate you?"

That’s been posted a couple of times, and it’s great every time. Always a pleasure to see someone so lovely that even their own parents side with their ex.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

the Spain Virus posted:

How many "influencers" are there that actually make money?

How many of those make more than slave wages or work less than every waking moment of every single day building parasocial relationships with people who, in all likelihood, will someday murder them?

I would say the majority of my wife’s middle school students say they want to be an influencer when they grow up. Apparently one of her coworkers has a husband that ended up quitting his job because his YouTube channel got so popular, and one of the kids somehow figured out that he was this teacher’s husband, and started cyberstalking and physically stocking them. The school of course refused to do anything about it until she went to court.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

pentyne posted:

lmao mind-controlled into having an affair

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
m i n o r m i s s t e p s

Hellblazer187 posted:

Unless parents have a big stash of money or something I'm not really seeing the downside to this.
Hey we wrote you out of the will but you can still come over to the house to babysit your sister's kids

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 3, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for refusing to accept my father dating other women after the passing of my mother?

quote:

I began to notice after I was allowed to go back into my office last year that my father would suddenly become busy and couldn’t take care of my daughter like he used to when I was going into my office

loving hate it when my father's desire for basic human connection blows up my free babysitter.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Would be a pretty awesome thread title tbh.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

loving hate it when my father's desire for basic human connection blows up my free babysitter.

I love how OPs who are bad guys will always tell on themselves in ways like this; it's so funny.

I wonder if stories like this are less common in countries with free/inexpensive childcare for working parents, like France or if like being bankrupted by having to pay for medical treatment it's a uniquely American dysfunction.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Seth Pecksniff posted:

mk-ultra'd

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Soylent Pudding posted:

fully support this OP's decision to dip out

lol just lol at whatever the sister/family thought that poo poo was gonna be

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pentyne posted:

wonder what the "missteps" were that the lawyers turned into a "big deal" are

also I love the line from her parents saying the email and they last five years explain their attitude, and the next sentence she says it sounds like they're mad over the email and she makes it the title

literally the "about a steak" scene from raging bull

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I was hanging out with a woman I've never met, and the next thing I know I'm having an affair with Robert Kennedy!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

"The CIA made me take my co-worker's dick in the break room! I had no control over it!"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Seth Pecksniff posted:

"The CIA made me take my co-worker's dick in the break room! I had no control over it!"

BJULTRAed

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

thotsky posted:

Why is it his job to teach his sister manners? Just don't go to any of her events again.

It's not his job, it's merely personally satisfying. Feigning an excuse like being ill is a less desirable way of handling it that the path he chose. Pretending not to be mad is harder for most than actually acting mad.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Invisible Clergy posted:

(added paragraph breaks)

Your mom has been decomposing for years, slowly melting back into the earth as a meal for worms.

Let your dad get some from a living breathing person, you weirdo.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

ChickenDoodle posted:

Your mom has been decomposing for years, slowly melting back into the earth as a meal for worms.

Let your dad get some from a living breathing person, you weirdo.

But then she might have to pay for a babysitter and a house/apartment! Quelle horror!

AITA for calling our tenant disgusting?

quote:

hi guys so i currently live with a tenant, and hes been living in the same house for around 4 years now. he never cleans the the bathroom we share, and has never thrown out the garbage from there.

since i mostly stayed at my partners during those years i didnt really pay too much attention, and i dont mind deep cleaning once a here and there.

i would ocassionally find his shaved hair around the sink and toilet as well as random toothpaste marks around the walls of the bathroom and the toilet. the bathroom also smells gross especially right after he uses it kind of like clothes that didnt get to dry properly, and sweat combined. i dont say anything about it.

since i moved to the room thats connected to the bathroom recently, i noticed he doesnt was his hands after using it, so i calmly talked to him about washing his hands and he said okay.

a few weeks passed now i realized he opens the sink AFTER he opens the door, which means he already touched the door knob after his number 1/2. Again, i dont say anything. This time I just close the door from the main bathroom entrance since i can enter through my room so i dont have to touch it that much.

This morning I hear a loud spitting sound and no flush or faucet noise, (not sure if he spit on the floor or wall or tub or sink) and in the evening he slams the door i use for the bathroom (it connects to my room).

im not sure and dont even want to know what he does in there with my shampoo soap etc, he seems like the type to spit in your food.

after that whole slamming door incident called him out for being disgusting and gross with a raised voice and he kept saying things that i didnt even want to hear because of how livid i was.

EDIT:

Q: why are you only saying something now? A: have communicated very calmly and kindly as well as brought things up prior and during his time here, even brought up solutions to which were then abused. I raised my voice ONCE, after he slammed and banged on my door (which he did after i asked him calmly AND kindly to please clean up after himself).

Q: just kick him out A: not that easy, have tried to give him notices just for him to say he cant find a place + i feel bad so i just let it be before, + w covid and just general life things not really trying to go through the whole court process but if it needs to happen this time it definitely will.

PS: I will gladly accept that ITA if there’s proper logic behind it, but if you’re just commenting out of ignorance or commenting just to comment w/o reading thats a no from me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Havana Syndrome actually and Biden is working very hard to combat it

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Havana Syndrome actually and Biden is working very hard to combat it

Yeah, i have havana syndrome. I Hav-an-Affair on company time

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TheWeedNumber posted:

fully support this OP's decision to dip out

lol just lol at whatever the sister/family thought that poo poo was gonna be

They're so angry because they figured he would quietly babysit to avoid exactly what ended up happening. These people rely on the fact that most others would be frustrated and upset but still go ahead and do whatever in order not to make a scene, especially during something like a wedding.

It's similar to the people that drop off their children at someone's front door and then go no contact for a few hours. They're banking on the fact that most people would just watch the kid rather than actually calling the police or child services or whatever.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to accept a birthday cake from my future SIL?

they can use this post as a bittering agent on switch cartridges to stop kids eating them

To be fair it can be pretty frustrating when someone insists on cooking for everyone and then has to turn it into an extravagant culinary masterpiece when people are just hungry and want to eat

My roommate once made everyone wait for over an hour while he made and cooked hamburgers at a BBQ. It’s a frickin’ burger at a park dude, people’s expectations aren’t that high

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've met folks who fall in two categories. The first is influencing as a side hustle in some niche hobby. They'd be doing the hobby anyway but the influencer dollars either offsets some of the costs or lets them do more or bigger projects than would be in the budget.

The ones I've met who make serious money are using influencing as covert advertising for some form of sex work.

I’ve met a “full-time” influencer who, in a very twee way, talked about growing up on a farm. Turned out her parents are California almond farmers.

There’s a lot of rich trust-fund kids in LA who use “professional influencer” as a mask for living off their parents’ money.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As near as I can tell, the most important part of being an influencer is buying expensive things (and "experiences") and showing them off. It's mostly a way for rich kids to get even richer off wealth porn, and why more young people should aspire to be gulag commandants instead of influencers

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Crocobile posted:

I’ve met a “full-time” influencer who, in a very twee way, talked about growing up on a farm. Turned out her parents are California almond farmers.

There’s a lot of rich trust-fund kids in LA who use “professional influencer” as a mask for living off their parents’ money.

Halloween Jack posted:

As near as I can tell, the most important part of being an influencer is buying expensive things (and "experiences") and showing them off. It's mostly a way for rich kids to get even richer off wealth porn, and why more young people should aspire to be gulag commandants instead of influencers

ah, well. nevertheless,

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Self-employed spokesmodel working on contingency hoping for a patron?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for getting angry at my wife for getting my mom in a potentially dangerous situation?

quote:

My mom (57F) recently, came over to visit me (29M) and my wife (29F). We had dinner together and my mom had like ten drinks in just two hours. After dinner, my mom was going to drive home. But she was way too drunk to drive. I was gonna tell her to stay but she had to go to work the next day. I wanted to drive her home (it's only a 30-minute drive). But my wife told me it was one of her friend's birthday tomorrow and she needed to get them a gift. There was a mall on the way between my mom's place and our home. So she decided she would drive my mom home and get a gift for her friend on the way.

But halfway there my wife realized it was 21:30 and the mall closed at 22:00. That meant she wouldn't be able to get in time if she dropped my mom home first. So, she locked my mom in the car because she was too drunk (which I think escalated the situation). And went to buy the gift. But my mom got angry when she realized my wife had locked her in the car. It took my wife 30 minutes to get back. My mom began arguing with her for locking her in the car and making her wait. But my wife took it too far. She kicked my mom out of the car somewhere near the mall and drove back home.

After my wife got home she told me about this. I was angry at her for kicking my drunk mom in the middle of nowhere at night. I was more worried because our neighbourhood isn't very safe at night and there are lots of sketchy gangs of guys around. A lot of people that's why avoid going outside late at night (especially women). I called my mom a few times and she wasn't picking up. So, I quickly grabbed my car keys and went to look for my mom.

I looked everywhere near the mall for an hour and I was getting extremely worried. Just when I was going to call the cops about this I found my mom passed out on the side of the road not too far from the mall. I was extremely relieved, God knows what would have happened to her if she was there for longer. I took her home and she woke up the next morning.

After waking up she was mad at my wife for abandoning her in the middle of nowhere. I agreed with my mom something very dangerous could have happened to her. I told my wife she owed an apology to my mom. She said my mom shouldn't have been so rude to her. I told her my mom was drunk she didn't mean anything she said.

But she didn't listen we haven't talked in a few days. She is making me feel like an AH. But I feel like she shouldn't have abandoned my mom like that something very bad could have happened to her. So my question is AITA for siding with my mom?

EDIT: For those who are wondering my mom doesn't always drink like that. But sometimes she gets drunk like that. And my wife is currently staying with my MIL. As many of you suggested divorce. I am also thinking of divorce. She could have potentially gotten my mom killed and caused serious problems.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting angry at my wife for getting my mom in a potentially dangerous situation?

wtaf

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's pretty incredibly how that story clearly has one main villain despite every person involved being the worst.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for leaving a child with a babysitter without the mother's permission and then being rude?

quote:

I've been traveling for work for three months. I matched in an app with a woman who lives a few meters from my temporary apartment. After a few days of talking we met a few times and she told me that she is a single mother. We're just hanging out casually and I wouldn't say we're friends, but we talk every day.

Over the weekend she showed up at my house with her daughter I had never seen before. It was a 6 year old girl. I was quite surprised and uncomfortable with this. Angela said she had an emergency at work and couldn't find a babysitter in time. We briefly discussed how awkward it was for her to just throw a child at my house. Angela started crying saying that she had no support network and needed me. I thought that was kind of manipulative, but I agreed.

An hour passed and the girl was quiet. I put a Disney movie on TV and started making dinner. I got a call from my boss asking me to go to the office, I was kind of desperate. I talked about having a kid at home and he said he could send a babysitter to my apartment. I sent a message to Angela. When the babysitter arrived, I told her that maybe Angela would come get the child, and I went to work.

I worked for 4 hours and when I got home only the babysitter was there. She said that Angela actually picked up the girl and I paid for the service. On Monday, Angela sent several messages saying that I was an rear end in a top hat for leaving her daughter with a stranger, and that she had entrusted the child only to me.

I was extremely irritated and replied that I was also a stranger. I said "what kind of mother leaves a 6 year old girl with a guy she just met?". I was immediately blocked on all social media. I vented to a few friends and some said it's very impolite to question a woman's abilities as a mother.

AITA?

getting a random babysitter hired seems like the least worst outcome of leaving your child with a travelling stranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

To be fair it can be pretty frustrating when someone insists on cooking for everyone and then has to turn it into an extravagant culinary masterpiece when people are just hungry and want to eat

My roommate once made everyone wait for over an hour while he made and cooked hamburgers at a BBQ. It’s a frickin’ burger at a park dude, people’s expectations aren’t that high

If I'm waiting on an extravagant burger at the park I'm going to be more angry, because I want a charred burger that tastes of smoke, is premade and is delicious

if i want a pretentious handmade burger i can literally go to any restaurant in a 20 mile radius of me