Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
I clap when the credits roll for a game reaches “And you”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Just another Wellington summer day

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Random question.
Do they even make "cinematic platformers" ala Prince of Persia 1/Another World/Flashback anymore or has that genre been dead and decomposing since the 90s?

The Eternal Castle
LIMBO and INSIDE, sort of

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 3, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wow really wearing their inspiration on their sleeve there huh

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

goferchan posted:

If anyone is planning on getting DL2 at launch, just a heads-up that the countdown timer on Steam (currently showing a release in 21 hours) is incorrect and the game will actually unlock in about 4 hours at 7PM est.

edit: also, Digital Foundry analysis is up. The ray tracing looks really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnAn5TRz_2g

drat, some of those on/off shots look like completely different games. It still looks great with RT off, so that's a huge credit to the art team.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

wow really wearing their inspiration on their sleeve there huh
they're open and honest about it, they basically just wanted to make a new flashback

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow that looks like a complete Flashback ripoff. Even that gun aim squat looks exactly the same.

I'm fine with that. Gonna keep an eye on it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there's another cyberpunk cinematic platformer coming out later this year called Replaced

I read once that the name came about because it's meant to be a replacement for The Last Night; no clue if the Replaced devs live in a similar fear of vaginas

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Wow that looks like a complete Flashback ripoff. Even that gun aim squat looks exactly the same.

I'm fine with that. Gonna keep an eye on it.

Same here. It's not like whoever owns the rights cares about doing more Flashback in the first place, so fair play to the Lunark crowd. I'll absolutely play that.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Random question.
Do they even make "cinematic platformers" ala Prince of Persia 1/Another World/Flashback anymore or has that genre been dead and decomposing since the 90s?

The Way and Eternal Castle are both pretty good.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Jack Trades posted:

Random question.

Some games which come to mind:

e: White Shadows also fits the bill!

overeager overeater fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 3, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Heh, watching some Dying Light streams, the dialogue in the game actually reminds me a bit of Oblivion of all things. Especially the side quest dialogues are disjointed, and the characters sometimes switch topics out of nowhere.
Also, there was one guy with a Russian accent that aggroed onto the player after talking, and immediately got a thick, southern US accent when he started shouting taunts, which was pretty funny.

The parkour does look kinda fun though, ngl

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

OzFactor posted:

I know there are a lot of fans here, so I need help: I bought Invisible Inc during the last sale and I really loved it through the beginner difficulty, but I got to the not-an-ending and now I'm on the middle difficulty and just getting my rear end handed to me over and over again. I can barely make it through three maps and I don't feel like I'm learning anything specific. It just feels like everything is too much: the guards are stacked together way too often, their patrols are longer than my guys can move without upgrades, the alarm level goes up way faster, and by the third or fourth level I'm totally outclassed. Are there things I'm supposed to be prioritizing? I feel like playing the first difficulty may have taught me the wrong things. I feel like I was able to get away with almost never knocking anyone out but now in the harder difficulty it seems like the guards are so clustered together there's no way around it way too often.

Going to bump my desperate need for advice just once and then give up and say the game is too hard (although there are a million difficulty options so I could probably just make it easier).

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Broken Cog posted:

Heh, watching some Dying Light streams, the dialogue in the game actually reminds me a bit of Oblivion of all things. Especially the side quest dialogues are disjointed, and the characters sometimes switch topics out of nowhere.
Also, there was one guy with a Russian accent that aggroed onto the player after talking, and immediately got a thick, southern US accent when he started shouting taunts, which was pretty funny.

The parkour does look kinda fun though, ngl

Saw a zombie the other day. Horrible creatures.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ymgve posted:

i used to do parkour but then a zombie ate my knee off and inflicrbl rgh the harrarghn-virus rasng llains brgl rains brains BRRRAAIIIIINS

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ymgve posted:

You joke, but one of the streamers went afk in one of the NPC bases, and I'm pretty sure I heard four different NPCs say they wanted their ashes scattered in the streets if they died. The exact same line, four different deliveries.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

OzFactor posted:

Going to bump my desperate need for advice just once and then give up and say the game is too hard (although there are a million difficulty options so I could probably just make it easier).

It’s been years since I last played so it’s kinda hard to come up with advice. The difficulty settings are super granular for a reason though, make your own fun!

A lot of it comes down to guards being dumb. They like to check open doors, so open doors to rooms that don’t matter and close doors behind your team. They also tend to go over to the most recent sound which means you can cause distractions.
Knocking guards out is fun, especially if you knock out two or more and drag them so they are just out of sight of each other. They hear the groans and go check on each other as they wake :3:

One of the dlc characters can teleport back to the entrance. This trivializes some missions if you use it right.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I need a recommendation.

I like city/colony builders and factory games, so Infraspace looked like exactly my poo poo. Unfortunately, my two-hour steam trial failed to impress (narrow tech tree, virtually no organic growth, only one transportation method [roads/trucks]). I am defining 'organic growth' both as Factorio's "belt spaghetti" phenomenon as well as City Skylines "define an area to be randomly filled with structures".

Anything good come out lately that I missed? In no particular order:
-Dyson Sphere [all factory, no colony, but very good]
-Timberborn [decent, but no organic growth, not a fan of the direction it's evolving but overall very good]
-Atomic Society [all colony, no factory, no organic growth]
-Dorfromantic and ISLANDERS [no factory, but good organic]
-Satisfactory [decent]
-Factory Town [great but flawed]
-Planetbase [flat: I felt I was playing perfectly within an hour, no room for improvement]

I'm looking at Trailmakers, Gageteer, Riftbreaker, JUNKPUNK and Kubifaktorium. Any thoughts?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Riftbreaker is more of an ARPG with tower defense elements than a real building game. Lots of shooting in that one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

overeager overeater posted:

Playdead's Limbo and INSIDE are obvious suggestions but they're both very good!

I'm playing through Stela right now and it reminds me a lot of these. I'm only about halfway through so I can't give it a full recommendation but so far it's pretty good if a bit simple.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Reinstalled DL1
Immersion ruined

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Evilreaver posted:

I need a recommendation.

I like city/colony builders and factory games, so Infraspace looked like exactly my poo poo. Unfortunately, my two-hour steam trial failed to impress (narrow tech tree, virtually no organic growth, only one transportation method [roads/trucks]). I am defining 'organic growth' both as Factorio's "belt spaghetti" phenomenon as well as City Skylines "define an area to be randomly filled with structures".

-Timberborn [decent, but no organic growth, not a fan of the direction it's evolving but overall very good]
-Satisfactory [decent]
-Planetbase [flat: I felt I was playing perfectly within an hour, no room for improvement]

I'm looking at Trailmakers, Gageteer, Riftbreaker, JUNKPUNK and Kubifaktorium. Any thoughts?

trailmakers is pretty different from the others, you don't build a colony at all. Instead you drive/fly/boat (?) to hard places to get to so you can get more parts so you can build vehicles which let you drive/fly better which lets you get more parts which lets you etc. etc. It was pretty fun in coop, but it definitely won't give you the same experience as these others.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

I need a recommendation.

-Satisfactory [decent]

do you have a tolerance for nonsensical systemsm and eternal jank. if so perhaps take a look at craftoipia

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Store page is up for Ghostwire Tokyo: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1475810/GhostWire_Tokyo/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

Looks like weird fun.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Fruits of the sea posted:

It’s been years since I last played so it’s kinda hard to come up with advice. The difficulty settings are super granular for a reason though, make your own fun!

A lot of it comes down to guards being dumb. They like to check open doors, so open doors to rooms that don’t matter and close doors behind your team. They also tend to go over to the most recent sound which means you can cause distractions.
Knocking guards out is fun, especially if you knock out two or more and drag them so they are just out of sight of each other. They hear the groans and go check on each other as they wake :3:

One of the dlc characters can teleport back to the entrance. This trivializes some missions if you use it right.

Thanks! Yeah I really think I just need to work out some of the difficulty options. I feel like my biggest problem is with the very light strategic layer, not necessarily the actual tactical missions. I just can't keep up--I don't get enough credits to meaningfully improve fast enough to stay ahead of the curve. I feel like I'm in an XCOM-style death spiral after two levels. My last couple runs I've been able to hold out okay and then the guards start showing up with armor and I haven't even seen any armor-piercing weapons, or I'll see one in literally my first fabricator when I have three dollars on hand. Maybe I'll just try to give myself more starting funds and see if that helps.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

OzFactor posted:

I always found the first few missions to be the tricky ones, with things getting easy around four or five, so my advice might not apply perfectly to your situation (especially with how long it's been since I've played much), but here are a few thoughts:

Expect to knock out guards frequently (probably an average of around once per guard per level in the early game, although you'll be able to skip some and want to knock out a few multiple times). If memory serves, knocking out a guard costs you a turn of alarm at your difficulty, which is often a fine deal (and it can be worth committing an agent to keep them knocked out for a few extra turns). A common pattern is for agent A to explore forward while B drags the guard to a convenient spot or just stands on them, and then either A backtracks from a dead end or B sprints to catch up.You can do a lot to mess with their AI: ambush or distract them by opening a door in their line of sight, dance into and out of yellow tiles, deliberately make noise (possibly by sprinting in the first few tiles of your turn, after which you turn it off), etc. This can let you lure apart pairs of guards that are covering each other. Knowing when to keep your agents close to to one another to help handle guards like this and when to split up to cover more ground is something of an art that takes some practice and experimenting to master. Just be aware that both are options.

A strong pair of starter agents helps a lot, as does picking up a third ASAP. Having the extra body to hold more gear and stand on KO-ed guards is a big deal. You usually can manage to loot all the guards and safes in the first few levels, which helps with staying as strong as the game expects you to be. If you're regularly (rather than occasionally) skipping them, that's an area to improve. Good gear is important. It's often advisable to spend only a few credits on stats early, specialize your agents (mostly to let your use gear with stat requirements) and make up for minimal hacking stats by investing into programs.

If you can make archive Banks work, you've usually won the game by the time that you finish the third mission, but you might not be knowledgeable enough about the game to make her work. It's been long enough that I have no idea how the agent unlocks work, so maybe she isn't even an option for you. Non-archive Internationale is a bit of a crutch: she a decent agent, but not among the best, and learning how to do without her will improve your gameplay. Xu is quite strong, but might be tricky to use as a beginner (note that he can disable heart monitors). Agents that mostly give PWR aren't too great in the vast majority of situations. Needing to use them is generally a sign that you should be picking a better pair of starting programs or prioritizing finding a third that's worth using.

Edit: If armor's giving you trouble, picking one of Xu (shock trap ignores armor) or Shalem isn't a terrible idea, although you can often maneuver around a lone guard with more armor that you can handle. This is also a situation where trying and failing a few times should give you a better sense of when you need to start investing into armor-piercing. Don't different corps also have different tendencies toward high-armor guards? It's been long enough that I don't remember the specifics, but focusing on the ones that don't go heavy on armor if you're lacking armor-piercing should be an option.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 4, 2022

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

I need a recommendation.

-Satisfactory [decent]

Along these lines has anyone tried out skid cities

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

all the chatter about the lights dying had me thinking of other first person parkour-y games i'd like to play, and I just realized I never beat Ghostrunner

never beat the first boss in fact, but i don't remember if i quit out of frustration or distraction :v:

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Crossposting from the GOG thread:

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I'm trying to play F.E.A.R. again, and I'm just getting a blue spinning circle instead of the game running. Is it an issue with the renderer? I got a new PC and I don't know if it has DX9 built in. When I tried launching it from the options executable DX9 was the only renderer available. I also downloaded the FPS fix.

Also I recently upgraded to Windows 11, I don't know if that screwed something up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crossposting from the GOG thread:

Also I recently upgraded to Windows 11, I don't know if that screwed something up.

Possibly, nothing on PC Gaming Wiki mentions Windows 11 or seems to talk about your specific problem. The blue spinning would be the cursor loading symbol right? Not a loading icon in a game menu. You might just try some more of the common solutions FEAR’s page and see if anything works. The “4 GB” patch is mentioned a lot.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ciaphas posted:

all the chatter about the lights dying had me thinking of other first person parkour-y games i'd like to play, and I just realized I never beat Ghostrunner

never beat the first boss in fact, but i don't remember if i quit out of frustration or distraction :v:

I struggled with all of the bosses in this game but if it helps, I struggled the most with the first.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
(More comparisons in thread)

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1489413836541247489?s=21

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Possibly, nothing on PC Gaming Wiki mentions Windows 11 or seems to talk about your specific problem. The blue spinning would be the cursor loading symbol right? Not a loading icon in a game menu. You might just try some more of the common solutions FEAR’s page and see if anything works. The “4 GB” patch is mentioned a lot.

Yeah, it's the cursor loading symbol. I used the 4 GB patch but it didn't seem to have an effect.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dying Light 2 sure has a lot of tutorial

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, it's the cursor loading symbol. I used the 4 GB patch but it didn't seem to have an effect.

Beyond compatibility modes on the executable then I can’t think of anything. Run the EXE as admin? If it was launching and then crashing you might find a solution in one of those custom renderers some old games need but just freezing doesn’t seem typical :shrug:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

kazil posted:

Dying Light 2 sure has a lot of tutorial

is the tutorial fun. lets have a review, but only of the tuorial. how does it stack up against the amazing tutorials of yesteryear or the flat, soullless, modern tutorials seen all too often these days

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dying Light but with the balancing mechanic from Death Stranding pls

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dying Light but hire an actual writer pls

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kazil posted:

Dying Light but hire an actual writer pls

they hired Chris Avellone and welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hwurmp posted:

they hired Chris Avellone and welp

lmao wow