Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

explosivo posted:

You could do what I did for years and leave it running at home, then RDP in to poke NGU occasionally. The chrome remote desktop app always worked really well for me since I can use it on my phone or in a browser.

That's a good idea and would let me nudge my Evolve game at home too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

explosivo posted:

You could do what I did for years and leave it running at home, then RDP in to poke NGU occasionally. The chrome remote desktop app always worked really well for me since I can use it on my phone or in a browser.

I actually tried that -- works fine for browser games, and even some steam games, but for some reason NGU specifically caused the whole remote desktop session to run at like 1 frame every 5 seconds as soon as it opened. :shrug:

It's how I used to play Trimps and Evolve and Kittens Game back when I played those, though.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
The plan is its a series of screens like the one shown with interactable combat encounters, npcs, etc, but if anything is a major feature, a button in the top right will unlock to take you right to it without any map fuckery. You CAN navigate berween stuff that way, but a 1 click option will also be there.

something fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 3, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Musluk posted:

As always, I'm open to suggestions on the art stuff.

A+

I can see how it's gotten more refined in the same "I did this in MS Paint" style. But I'm not sure if it'll ever beat the daycare kitty. I really do like it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Well now i wanna play it and I can't. Did life get better or worse for me being cursed with this information.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Agent355 posted:

Well now i wanna play it and I can't. Did life get better or worse for me being cursed with this information.

my feeling exactly

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Agent355 posted:

So I get to be a lucky person still working through NGU for the time being. Hopefully this new game is out around the time I am done with OG NGU.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Musluk posted:

As always, I'm open to suggestions on the art stuff.

I really love your hard pixel artstyle musluk, it adds so much character to everything. It's a very unique style that I have only ever seen like, one other person that does anything similar. Always a delight when I was playing NGU.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Orvin posted:

So I get to be a lucky person still working through NGU for the time being. Hopefully this new game is out around the time I am done with OG NGU.

I still have at least a couple months left to 100% everything myself. 2/9 eNGU and 3/7 mNGU are at cap, so it's going to be a while.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

something posted:

The plan is its a series of screens like the one shown with interactable combat encounters, npcs, etc, but if anything is a major feature, a button in the top right will unlock to take you right to it without any map fuckery. You CAN navigate berween stuff that way, but a 1 click option will also be there.

Sounds like you are already on top of the only possible issue I saw with the UI

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Evolve idle:

Secondary materials like plywood, brick, etc can be made manually or by craftsmen slowly over time.

Do you get a discount or something for using craftsmen? Like more bricks per concrete or w/e, or are they really just there to help balance production so you don't cap certain resources as quickly?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Agent355 posted:

Evolve idle:

Secondary materials like plywood, brick, etc can be made manually or by craftsmen slowly over time.

Do you get a discount or something for using craftsmen? Like more bricks per concrete or w/e, or are they really just there to help balance production so you don't cap certain resources as quickly?

You eventually rack up a load of bonuses to craftsmen, yes. And one of the challenges you'll flip on relatively early removes the ability to manually craft them. They play an important role throughout the game and manual is there for early progression only.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ah okay. I only just soft capped plasmids and bought a few bonuses with my extra for this most recent run. Just doing a bunch of MAD runs for cheevos and/or plasmids and whatever. I've played the game before but never got past MAD runs.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
NGU2 looks cool. I suppose thats more of a compliment to Musluk but with how good NGU was i think NGU2 will be as well.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Someone dropped a Progress Knight 2.0 https://symb1.github.io/progress_knight_2/ Not sure what's added otherwise, but after living 1 life it still hasn't fixed my biggest annoyance.
" Something tells you that the amulet might evolve after living for 2 whole centuries and transform even further after living for a millennium and reach its final form after ten millenia... "

It's annoying that there still doesn't seem to be a 'revert last change/assignment/purchase before you run out of money' function, which would be a nice QoL thing.
It's always annoying when you temporarily change job, or upgrade a house, then are a split second too late in undoing it, and all your purchases disable and you have to re-enable them.

e: Seems like the auto-learn has been tweaked to learn the skills that are fastest to learn, not just the ones that have the lowest level.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 5, 2022

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SubNat posted:

Someone dropped a Progress Knight 2.0 https://symb1.github.io/progress_knight_2/ Not sure what's added otherwise, but after living 1 life it still hasn't fixed my biggest annoyance.
" Something tells you that the amulet might evolve after living for 2 whole centuries and transform even further after living for a millennium and reach its final form after ten millenia... "

It's annoying that there still doesn't seem to be a 'revert last change/assignment/purchase before you run out of money' function, which would be a nice QoL thing.
It's always annoying when you temporarily change job, or upgrade a house, then are a split second too late in undoing it, and all your purchases disable and you have to re-enable them.

e: Seems like the auto-learn has been tweaked to learn the skills that are fastest to learn, not just the ones that have the lowest level.

Progress Knight Reborn (https://camerongott.github.io/progress-knight/) works the same way, if your strength learning multiplier is 2x the others', you will auto-learn a bunch more strength

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, I'm curious what direction this'll go/how it'll differentiate itself from Reborn.
Especially since this seems like a different person again from the original dev, and the reborn dev.

It's kind of annoying when a bunch of people make interesting forks off of abandoned games, but it's impossible to find out how they differ / what their goals and mechanics are without playing them all.
It's great and cool that people are doing it, but changelogs and version numbers aren't your enemies, people.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

This one is even worse. Every commit on GitHub is a variation of “Uploading Code”

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SubNat posted:

Yeah, I'm curious what direction this'll go/how it'll differentiate itself from Reborn.
Especially since this seems like a different person again from the original dev, and the reborn dev.

It's kind of annoying when a bunch of people make interesting forks off of abandoned games, but it's impossible to find out how they differ / what their goals and mechanics are without playing them all.
It's great and cool that people are doing it, but changelogs and version numbers aren't your enemies, people.

Instead of a useless job tree that does nothing and a mess of items that boost single jobs long after you've outgrown them it has massive timewalls leading into new endgame skills and jobs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hughlander posted:

This one is even worse. Every commit on GitHub is a variation of “Uploading Code”
well do you want the git commits to not be uploading code

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Evolve Idle question: At about how many stocked Plasmids should I start looking into non-MAD resets? I currently have 167 and am looking at +75 if I reset now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Evolve Idle question: At about how many stocked Plasmids should I start looking into non-MAD resets? I currently have 167 and am looking at +75 if I reset now.

Minimum of softcap which is 250 base. Once above softcap it depends if you want to immediately move to 3* runs or not - if you do then keep going with MADs and pick up all the craftsmen upgrades at least, and the first two challenge upgrades. Only spend plasmids above 250. That will set you up to start 3* Bioseeds with a decent amount of mastery which will in turn raise your plasmid softcap.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Minimum of softcap which is 250 base. Once above softcap it depends if you want to immediately move to 3* runs or not - if you do then keep going with MADs and pick up all the craftsmen upgrades at least, and the first two challenge upgrades. Only spend plasmids above 250. That will set you up to start 3* Bioseeds with a decent amount of mastery which will in turn raise your plasmid softcap.

What are 3* runs and challenge upgrades?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

What are 3* runs and challenge upgrades?

One of the tech unlocks is for CRISPR which is the primary reset currency spending area. You'll spend a few plasmids there to unlock challenges which allows you to start adding modifiers onto runs for more mastery which give larger multipliers to production.

A 3* run is No Free Trade (no manual trading), No Manual Crafting, and Junk Gene (weaker creep crispr, and a random neg trait). The fourth challenge is No Starting Plasmids which you won't want to do until you've left normal and have a good mastery reserve, which is what 3* runs are for. The way mastery works is each achievement gives a base of 0.25% bonus production with each challenge adding another 0.25%, so 3* is 1% bonus prod per achievement which adds up very quickly.

Hardened Genes and Unlocked are the two challenge upgrades you want - the first unlocking said challenges and the second adding the mastery bonuses for a total of 55 plasmids. While there you should also get Spatial Reasoning for storage from plasmids for 50. And all the craftsmen unlocks are required to make 3*s not take too long which will put you back 270.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 6, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

well do you want the git commits to not be uploading code

I'd want them to be an explanation of the atomic changes being made to that commit, as opposed to using the commit to trigger a CI/CD publishing process only which is what it seems to be.

Good news is this pushed me to dust off my idler I was working on again and maybe push to get something for goons to look at.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Hughlander posted:

I'd want them to be an explanation of the atomic changes being made to that commit, as opposed to using the commit to trigger a CI/CD publishing process only which is what it seems to be.

that poster was being facetious

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hughlander posted:

You'll never stop me from committing twenty times in a row with messages like "fixing". :colbert:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

prefect posted:

You'll never stop me from committing twenty times in a row with messages like "fixing". :colbert:

Fixed a
Fixed the a fix
Better fix for the a fix
Fixed the a fix, properly this time
Wip: can't test the new a fix because the backend guy broke everything 5 min before walking out on Friday.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

prefect posted:

Wait, you're not supposed to do that?!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If your commits aren't gibberish and useless yelling at the universe / your own code then what's the point.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
A guy in my team at work always puts a newline between the customer-mandated "refs {ticket id}" and his actually good message, so looking at the history it's just "refs 13425" 14 times in a row when he's been busy.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

SubNat posted:

Fixed a
Fixed the a fix
Better fix for the a fix
Fixed the a fix, properly this time
Wip: can't test the new a fix because the backend guy broke everything 5 min before walking out on Friday.

For one of my maintenance responsibilities I have to commit to master so that our production machine will pull down the module and I can then try my code for the first time to see if it even loving works.

:smithicide:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Bedurndurn posted:

For one of my maintenance responsibilities I have to commit to master so that our production machine will pull down the module and I can then try my code for the first time to see if it even loving works.

:smithicide:

Y'all got any of them there new-fangled "staging environments"?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Evolve - Holy gently caress, Scorpid only need 1/4 as many resources to do manual crafts as well? That's *amazing* for my pre-challenge runs. Bye bye bottleneck.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Evolve - Holy gently caress, Scorpid only need 1/4 as many resources to do manual crafts as well? That's *amazing* for my pre-challenge runs. Bye bye bottleneck.

That sounds like a bug (heh) with the new insectoid genus trait.

Only two more hours until the new robot overlords.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 7, 2022

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
By the way, I would recommend avoiding the Evolve Idle discord server. There's an rear end in a top hat in there who spews some really transphobic bullshit but the mods won't ban him because he apparently makes tools for the game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

prefect posted:

I do this, then I try to rebase to squash all the commits, then it somehow gets all jacked up, and then I go back to how it was before and make my PR.

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

something posted:

posting to say i'm not dead, just been going through a lot of stuff irl, trying to dredge myself out of this pit of blahs and slowly working on ngu 2 stuff in a meandering way

thats all bye

Ugh gonna ruin the next 2 years of my life again. How far along are you?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
not very, just getting the core combat in place and looking okay, there's only like a dozen equipment items just to test that numbers get applied in the right ways, just got a bestiary menu working, there's the core of a crafting system and item imbues (basically ways to red-border equipments in this game that gives perma bounses to your stats upon completion), i also have that basic npc-dialogue thing and also bigger "cutscenes" if needed. also a very basic levelling system for your stats.

Once I develop enough of the early game I got early drafts of a PP system which you'll earn currency for by doing ~1/day max prestiges to reset your levels. After that i have no clue what i should even make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

something posted:

not very, just getting the core combat in place and looking okay, there's only like a dozen equipment items just to test that numbers get applied in the right ways, just got a bestiary menu working, there's the core of a crafting system and item imbues (basically ways to red-border equipments in this game that gives perma bounses to your stats upon completion), i also have that basic npc-dialogue thing and also bigger "cutscenes" if needed. also a very basic levelling system for your stats.

Once I develop enough of the early game I got early drafts of a PP system which you'll earn currency for by doing ~1/day max prestiges to reset your levels. After that i have no clue what i should even make.

My one Xmas list item for whatever the next thing you do is: Don't put it on 12/24 hour cycles. For the love of god. 10/20 is great. Even like 11.5/23, if you have to stretch it. But having your whole reset window creep forwards just a few minutes a day until it's well and truly out-of-sync with your play hours is the worst. It's one of the biggest reasons I never finished OG NGU.