Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Night rides are for finding spooky poo poo in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
There's a place near me that has some structures in the woods and people put mannequins and other poo poo in the windows. It's super creepy during the day, but I heard it's terrifying at night.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Aphex- posted:

Night rides are for finding spooky poo poo in the woods.

Ja ja, ficken mine shaft

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I didn't see a skateboard thread when looking around so maybe people here would have some suggestions regarding protective gear.

I, a 35 year old adult, bought this skateboard back in March of 2021, but it wound up taking like 9 months to be manufactured and delivered. Supply chain, yada yada.

I don't want to hurt myself so I need to buy some knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, and a helmet that's not certified for bicycles only.

Looking at padding, the POC VPD line of mountain bike pads seem to be some of the highest rated for impact protection. I was thinking about buying the POC VPD Lite models since they have a plastic exterior piece that seems like it would be better for impact with pavement:

https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-knee?variant=35593027387558
https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-elbow?variant=35593026601126

I think I read that the VPD 2.0 has a higher CE/impact rating, but the fabric shell makes me think it would not slide against pavement.

I know D30 and Forcefield make some good motorcycle armor, but I'm not sure what my best choices are for a novice on a longboard I just plan on cruising on-- not doing anything crazy fast or going downhill.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

I can't comment on the skateboarding part, but you need to buy kneepads based on how they fit you, not on whatever brand gets the highest ratings. Not every model/brand it going to actually fit you in a way that works, though may be less of an issue if you aren't pedaling and don't have to worry about them slipping down your leg. You're a lot less likely to hit your elbows on a bike than your knees and elbow pads tend to be even worse for fit in my experience.

I haven't noticed the hard padding being any better than the D3O-type stuff when falling on rocks. Buy something you are likely to wear over something more protective that you won't.

POC tends to be overpriced in my opinion.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I was about to post exactly what pinarello did. You need to go to a store and try stuff on (rollerblade equipment might be lighter weight). Do not buy anything you aren't comfortable in because you won't wear it. Absolutely anything with hard protection will be fine because it's a regulated industry - it's like cars, you can't sell a Ford Pinto anymore.

e: I feel strongly that hard armor is what you want here, you need something that will let you slide across the cement/pavement. Soft padded knee armor for example won't slide nearly as much and will try to grip the surface, applying all sorts of force to your legs that you don't want.

For helmets... I would just get a skateboard helmet. If you're extremely clumsy or have no interest in avoiding hecklers get whatever full-face you want.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 28, 2022

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I assume another brand's skate focused, hard protectors are a better fit and cheaper than mtb stuff. Especially for the mentioned sliding on pavement qualities.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I don't think the skate thread is in TGO if it still exists. I would try the roller blading thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961772

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

MetaJew posted:

I didn't see a skateboard thread when looking around so maybe people here would have some suggestions regarding protective gear.

I, a 35 year old adult, bought this skateboard back in March of 2021, but it wound up taking like 9 months to be manufactured and delivered. Supply chain, yada yada.

I don't want to hurt myself so I need to buy some knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, and a helmet that's not certified for bicycles only.

Looking at padding, the POC VPD line of mountain bike pads seem to be some of the highest rated for impact protection. I was thinking about buying the POC VPD Lite models since they have a plastic exterior piece that seems like it would be better for impact with pavement:

https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-knee?variant=35593027387558
https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor/products/vpd-system-lite-elbow?variant=35593026601126

I think I read that the VPD 2.0 has a higher CE/impact rating, but the fabric shell makes me think it would not slide against pavement.

I know D30 and Forcefield make some good motorcycle armor, but I'm not sure what my best choices are for a novice on a longboard I just plan on cruising on-- not doing anything crazy fast or going downhill.

Until I ended up on crutches I, 57 years old, work POC elbow, knee, gloves, and helmet. They were more than adequate and survived all I could throw at them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

spwrozek posted:

I don't think the skate thread is in TGO if it still exists. I would try the roller blading thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961772

Thanks, I did not see that thread when I started digging back a few pages in TGO.

As for other comments, yeah I'm looking for some sort of armor with hard shells (re: sliding against pavement vs gripping) and impact absorbing because I'd rather not break my knee cap.

I've looked around local sporting goods shops and basically there is nothing available, save for very low end children's pads. My local REI had the POC VPD 2.0 knee pads (targeted at mountain biking)-- and they seemed pretty comfortable, and not terribly restrictive which is why I looked more closely into them.

As for the price comment-- if they provide substantially more protection and prevent and broken bones-- they're cheaper than my deductible. :shrug:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm trying to figure out what kind of Shimano brakes to get for my 2013 Bronson. I'm sticking with Shimano because the shop guy I use really loves them. However I am not sure how much to spend.

I don't want to pay more for the sake of visuals or anything like that, I just want the correct brakes with the most performance for the least amount of money.

He has Deore, SLX, and I assume up from there. Thoughts?

His thought was basically that the normal Deore was fine and if I wanted something slightly nicer then SLX is the way to go. I trust him, he knows his poo poo, just wondering what yall think before I make the final call.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Taima posted:

I'm trying to figure out what kind of Shimano brakes to get for my 2013 Bronson. I'm sticking with Shimano because the shop guy I use really loves them. However I am not sure how much to spend.

I don't want to pay more for the sake of visuals or anything like that, I just want the correct brakes with the most performance for the least amount of money.

His thought was basically that the normal Deore was fine and if I wanted something slightly nicer then SLX is the way to go. I trust him, he knows his poo poo, just wondering what yall think before I make the final call.

Just Zee's imo.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Four-piston brakes are worth the negligible weight difference. I’ve got the SLX 7120s on two bikes and they’ve been great. You’ll want decently sized rotors as well, no reason to go smaller than 180 on a trail bike. Make sure you get good (read: metal) pads and take time to bed them in. I think all the four-piston Shimano brakes come with them now, but given the supply issues, who knows.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think 67deg HTA will hold you back if that's your style, though, so really is down to whether you're ok with sitting and waiting for a bike to show up.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the fuse expert because I rewatched the hardtail party review for the 2020 fuse (same geo) and he reminded me that the geometry on paper is a little misleading and it rides closer to the slacker HTA bikes. I also hate money. I was probably focusing too much on that one dimension but its really hard to compare without riding so at least I know I'm comfortable on the fuse and the fork is a big upgrade. This will hold me over for a few years until I can get real silly with a FS. Now to sell the comp...

Can people throw out some flat pedals they are using and like? There are so many choices out there... Currently riding on some composite crank brother stamp 1s and I'm not totally thrilled with them.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

race face chesters - cheap, good, fun colors

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

OneUp composites

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Seconding the Chesters, although I do get incredible grip with what I think are Stamp 7s on another bike. I just ordered the new Race Face Atlas pedals but haven’t had a chance to ride them yet.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MetaJew posted:

As others have said, you gotta try them. Those longer sleeve type POC pads didn't work for me, I much prefer these and wear them on rowdier mtb rides I do. They've been great.

https://na.pocsports.com/collections/mountain-biking-armor-knee-protection/products/joint-vpd-air-knee?variant=35593016377510

While I'm all about CE when riding motorcycles, I dont think you'll be going fast enough on a skateboard for it to matter. You're mostly trying to avoid abrasion, so go with the lightest comfiest thing that slides.

For helmets, pick a 5 star from Virginia techs testing

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 29, 2022

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Homers BBBq posted:

Can people throw out some flat pedals they are using and like? There are so many choices out there... Currently riding on some composite crank brother stamp 1s and I'm not totally thrilled with them.

I'm running Deity deftrap composites and they're cheap and amazing quality.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Taima posted:

What’s wrong with the current brakes? Guides on pink bike were $150 when I bought them.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pinarello dogman posted:

OneUp composites

I like these more than the Chesters. Both are good though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

spwrozek posted:

I like these more than the Chesters. Both are good though.

Are they bigger? I have Amazon knockoff chesters that are more or less fine but wouldn't mind something a little bigger. Only size 11s (I swear every goon is like 6'8") though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think they are but I would have to put them next to each other or look it up.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

pinarello dogman posted:

OneUp composites

second, love these

Suburban Dad posted:

Are they bigger?

Yes. Measured the Chesters on my wife’s bike and the OneUps on mine. The platform surface is approx. 10x9.5cm on the Chesters and 11x10cm on the OneUps. Having ridden both, the difference is noticeable.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 30, 2022

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

gently caress.

(Day of riding>bikes on the hitch rack>backing into the driveway>backed up too far and hit the garage door frame)

🤦🏻‍♂️🤬😭

Edit: wheel recommendations? This was the stock wheel on my 2018 Stumpy FSR 27.5. Don’t need carbon or top of the line, but something decent. Also, do I need to replace both wheels or will that matter if they’re not matching?

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 30, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wow, thanks for that.

Edit: too slow. ^ouch

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 30, 2022

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

Are they bigger? I have Amazon knockoff chesters that are more or less fine but wouldn't mind something a little bigger. Only size 11s (I swear every goon is like 6'8") though.

look for a set of kona wah wah 2 larges

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Homers BBBq posted:

I like my Race Face Chesters; however, I will say that they're on the smaller side of the footprint scale. For reference I wear a US 9 (EU 42). My riding buddy went with a set of Deity Deftraps when he decided to try out a set of flats and they fit foot (US 11E) better than the Chesters.

Dear Thread,

I'm about to end up with a 'spare' 27.5x35mm wheel set and I'm thinking about what to do with it. Options include but are not limited to:
- keep the same tires (Maxxis Rekon+)
- look for a more tarmac-oriented tire for off-season use on the neighborhood trails
- set them up for more downhill riding (Bryce isn't that far away...)
- your idea here

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Braincloud posted:

gently caress.
Edit: wheel recommendations? This was the stock wheel on my 2018 Stumpy FSR 27.5. Don’t need carbon or top of the line, but something decent. Also, do I need to replace both wheels or will that matter if they’re not matching?

Assuming it is just the rim that is toast you can swap a new one on there relatively cheaply. It is generally recommended that you replace the spokes and nipples, but you can generally get away with it if you are OK with the risk of breaking spokes later (shops will not be OK with this for obvious reasons). The rim must be the same model or the exact same ERD or you will need new spokes anyway. Doing it yourself is a fairly big job and has a high risk of messing it up.

I would highly recommend carbon rims, high PoE hubs, and 32 spokes if you want to upgrade. That is big money though. Building them up yourself is generally a bit cheaper.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pinarello dogman posted:

Assuming it is just the rim that is toast you can swap a new one on there relatively cheaply. It is generally recommended that you replace the spokes and nipples, but you can generally get away with it if you are OK with the risk of breaking spokes later (shops will not be OK with this for obvious reasons). The rim must be the same model or the exact same ERD or you will need new spokes anyway. Doing it yourself is a fairly big job and has a high risk of messing it up.

I would highly recommend carbon rims, high PoE hubs, and 32 spokes if you want to upgrade. That is big money though. Building them up yourself is generally a bit cheaper.

Pretty much what I would do. It is possible to get a cheaper complete depending on what you want. A stan's Arch is like $100, with spokes, nipples, and labor you are probably looking $250-300 (That is what it cost me to do this when I broke my rim). I could have got a complete for $300 but it had a much worse hub. Increase price a lot if you go carbon.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I would absolutely replace all spokes on that.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Absolutely awesome day on the bike yesterday. Conditions are unreal for January in the UK. Found some cool new trails as well as my girlfriend conquering a big steep roll that's been on her mind for a while. Bikes rule.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
drat, that looks like a good day of riding.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Just Zee's imo.

Unfortunately my shop can't source the Zees right now but that's a great choice, thanks for helping. We are going with SLX 4 pots since that's, well, no one can seem to get exactly what I ask for, frankly... state of the market I guess

SLX 4 pots are decent ya?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Taima posted:

Unfortunately my shop can't source the Zees right now but that's a great choice, thanks for helping. We are going with SLX 4 pots since that's, well, no one can seem to get exactly what I ask for, frankly... state of the market I guess

yup!

edit: to expand, the SLX is definitely not comparable with the Zee. Zee has better modulation and more stopping power. They are better. SLX are definitely decent though.

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 4, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Taima posted:

Absolutely do not let the availability of worse brakes at the shop play into this. They don't want to eat the cost of having good products stocked, so buy them online from jensonusa, amazon, etc. I'm in Canada so I don't know all the US options.

You can buy the brakes online and pay your LBS to install them if you want to support them, I think it's a better option. I don't know much a out the SLX, if they're basically the same as the saints (like the Zee's) then I'd say yeah seems good.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The slx are the lower price point 4 piston trail/Enduro brakes vs takedown dh brakes, tbh probably fine for his application but yeah.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Finally got back on the bike 4 months after breaking my upper humerus. Just a 5km ride along the river and back but my arm felt pretty good on the bike. Still have a lot of work to do on strength and endurance before getting back on real trails but It was a nice step forward on recovery.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah if you’re not doing downhill then SLX 4 piston are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I used to downhill including the pilgrimages to whistler and north star etc but im old af now. Mostly doing like 5/10 difficulty rock descents and singletrack these days.

Guessing the SLX will be ok. I mean, I hope so, because I got 'em.

Got new wheels, dropper post, SLX 4 pots, grips, refreshed my tubeless.