Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which was a dumb thing to push back on really. Character names generally-speaking shouldn't be altered, but incidental dialogue and jokes should be localized to preserve the context rather than the verbatim wording if it's not going to carry across in their original form.
Yeah, go ahead and localize Lucky Star or Genshiken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

I mean it depends on the incidental dialogue/joke. A lot of stuff in the early/mid 2000s was absolutely doing stuff like censoring characters sexualities or gender identities, or inserting jokes where there were none in the original. (Like not even moving a joke slightly, i mean the entire scene didnt have a joke in the original.)

Plus slightly more banal stuff like censoring out any concept of the show taking place in Japan or being made by Japanese people or whatever.

Obviously sometimes people get mad about really innocuous or reasonable localization changes but that doesn't mean stuff like this doesn't still happen to this day.

That's fair. And yeah even I thought the 4Kids-level stuff was dumb and meant the more incidental bits and pieces. But as you say, there's also things that should've been left as-is.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hel posted:

I did not expect to find a riceball-> jelly donut defender here.

it's a sandwich

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Anyone else remember that fansub of the Gundam 00 movie that spent like 3 minutes taking the piss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcEY2EcQeZY

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alacron posted:

Anyone else remember that fansub of the Gundam 00 movie that spent like 3 minutes taking the piss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcEY2EcQeZY
Those subs are honestly perfect because the joke of that scene is that its an in-universe movie of the events of the TV series that is over the top and gets basically no facts right. So having terrible fansubs for it honestly kinda enhances the scene, even if it's not really an accurate transaltion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ice Poseidon is most infamous for being an idiot and telling his stream his gate number at the airport and one of his viewers called in a bomb threat so he got yanked off the plane and yanked off Twitch.

The interview is incredible though I wish Coffeezilla had been harsher especially at the end. Talking about having to look out for yourself when he should already have been a millionaire from streaming is amazing. He's never been a bright boy so I'm guessing he pissed his streaming riches away as quickly as they were coming in.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ice Poseidon is most infamous for being an idiot and telling his stream his gate number at the airport and one of his viewers called in a bomb threat so he got yanked off the plane and yanked off Twitch.

The interview is incredible though I wish Coffeezilla had been harsher especially at the end. Talking about having to look out for yourself when he should already have been a millionaire from streaming is amazing. He's never been a bright boy so I'm guessing he pissed his streaming riches away as quickly as they were coming in.

the fans he cultivated also did a "prank" where they registered his home address as a homeless shelter, causing multiple desperate people to travel long distance hoping to get a bed. I hope this ends him, because what an unbelievably awful person.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobjr posted:

The specific Death Note one I believe was serious, but while it’s been a decade it wasn’t super uncommon to see random words in fansubs left untranslated with a note or something listing the word it was, making it out of place.

I would not be shocked if TV-Nihon (big fansubbers of Super Sentai and related stuff for the curious) still did it. Like it was pretty cool they would do different colored fonts for different characters to make them easier to identify but then they had to leave in 'Okaa-san' because that's superior to just saying 'mom' I guess despite meaning that exact thing.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Nowadays I cant even tell the difference between fansubs and official subs.
It hasn't been that long ago since the Satoko 'big brudder' incident.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

DeafNote posted:

Nowadays I cant even tell the difference between fansubs and official subs.
It hasn't been that long ago since the Satoko 'big brudder' incident.

It doesn't help that the most common fansubs are official subs, taken from CR or something else through methods I don't understand. It's not the obvious way either.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

yakuza 5's remaster has some insanely bad punchups for its relocalisation.

"this idol out of tokyo sleeps around a lot and is rumoured to have threatened the women he slept with into having abortions and making them self harm"

original

remaster -

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Dongicus posted:

yakuza 5's remaster has some insanely bad punchups for its relocalisation.

"this idol out of tokyo sleeps around a lot and is rumoured to have threatened the women he slept with into having abortions and making them self harm"

original

remaster -

so I don't know anything about that character, but if he's supposed to be some flavour of nerd, that's fine (if he's NOT it's a legit bad translation job, and they should be ashamed)

like, almost every complaint nerds have had about japanese->english translation for years have been nonsensical at best. no one's out here calling rice balls jelly doughnuts anymore, but they might be renaming Kururin to Krillin (because Kururin as a name doesn't really work in english, and he's not a real person so, like... just make it be Krillin)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

nine-gear crow posted:

Andrew Hussie ascending up his own rear end on a cloud of "You Just Don't Get It" is the most Homestuck way Homestuck could have ended.

Speaking of people saying "You Just Don't Get It," here's Transparency saying this about Balan Wonderworld:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCc3vU_CINg

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Oof yeah, that character is most definitely not someone who would know anything about nerd game alignment systems. The re-localization team went in too hard on Yakuza 0's reputation as a wacky meme game.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

localizations are needed for these games but there really needs to be stricter quality control because i don't want to read poo poo like

guy: this harvey weinstein creep is responsible for incredible amounts of misery in the movie industry

genius localizer: wowzer. someone oughta boop that mans snoot

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Solitair posted:

Speaking of people saying "You Just Don't Get It," here's Transparency saying this about Balan Wonderworld:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCc3vU_CINg

I can understand someone liking Balan even though it sucks but game of the year lol

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which was a dumb thing to push back on really. Character names generally-speaking shouldn't be altered, but incidental dialogue and jokes should be localized to preserve the context rather than the verbatim wording if it's not going to carry across in their original form.

The only thing that can get away with changing character names is Ace Attorney.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fatherboxx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=005YAcpPxsw

Sarah Z new video touches of fan canon of Sherlock, Homestuck, Kingdom Hearts, Harry Potter and Dragonball Z so beware of taking 2d10 psychic damage every few minutes

jokes aside the schoolyard bullshit about Dragonball AF is fascinating as pre-internet time capsule

and that Corncob TV cup is amazing, I need one

Sarah remains the preeminent internet historian for the terrible corner of the internet where I was forged into the broken and stupid person I am today.

It's 2022 and hearing "Roxel" mentioned has given me five bespoke PTSD flashbacks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tonfa posted:

Oof yeah, that character is most definitely not someone who would know anything about nerd game alignment systems. The re-localization team went in too hard on Yakuza 0's reputation as a wacky meme game.
Even if he did, that's changing the tone from "this is a bad thing that I am shocked by" to "HURR HURR D&D REFERENCE! :byodood:"

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

LadyKnightTheBrave speaks with Rich Brownstein, basically the expert on Holocaust cinema to discuss the best and worst portrayals in film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxxYUgiUNM&t=64s

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Arquinsiel posted:

Even if he did, that's changing the tone from "this is a bad thing that I am shocked by" to "HURR HURR D&D REFERENCE! :byodood:"

I think looking at how a change like that works in the context of the narrative as a whole is important in cases like these. While a change like that is one that changes the context of the line and what the audience is going to take out of it, that isn't necessarily a bad thing if it reinforces some other concept the narrative is trying to push. For instance, if the character in that screencap being a big, dumb nerd who contextualizes things by using nerd references* is something that the story tries to reinforce upon the viewer in other points, then a change like this just serves to reinforce some of the things the original text is already trying to achieve.

* - The character in question is apparently not, but let's just explore the idea of him being a big nerd as a hypothetical

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

So he’s an extremely relatable character then.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shinada is a burnout baseball player that got banned from the sport, now barely making a living by writing for a lovely red light district mag, the only dice he's rolling is not D&D.

So yeah that change was absolutely someone trying too hard to whacky it up, there's also more than one change in Y5 that inserted memes into dialogue that date the localization extremely hard.

This is always one of the agonizingly bad examples.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 4, 2022

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
would you say it rustled your jimmies

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Listen. Yakuza calls pooping your pants "paying the dark price" and that's the funniest thing I've ever seen. They can meme the dialogue up forever because as far as I'm concerned they earned the right to.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Queer Salutations posted:

LadyKnightTheBrave speaks with Rich Brownstein, basically the expert on Holocaust cinema to discuss the best and worst portrayals in film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxxYUgiUNM&t=64s

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is one of the most despicable pieces of media I've ever come across.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
holocaust remembrance fiction apparently being usurped by a "historical fiction" writer who literally cobbles his books together out of first-page google results is fitting for this cadaverous world

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

As an Irishman I welcome more dumping on John Boyne. The dude is a capital-B blowhard.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The yakuza 5 rerelease saw a spike in them where they didn't exist previously, but the head of loc for RGG Studio's games has said that he’s not fond of memes himself and generally tries to err away when people try to jam them in.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Whatever the changes in the 5 remaster, at least it made the Comedian game tolerable.

Tolerable, but still not funny.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can understand someone liking Balan even though it sucks but game of the year lol

Yeah, I saw that video a bit ago but I couldn't finish it due to the extreme steelmanning of such an obviously flawed game. I understand that's precisely what they were going for, but it just comes off as obnoxious. As an alternative, I'd recommend watching ShayMay's video on the game which is much more positive than most while still acknowledging the glaring flaws in the game's design:

Mr.Radar posted:

ShayMay, who you may remember from the Sonic Spitballing series (which I just noticed was released 6 years ago :corsair:), puts in his two cents on Balan Wonderworld, which he kind of likes but recognizes is too flawed to unreservedly recommend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7joG1RQbNU

Also this video by Austin Eruption that is more negative than the other two but gives more context to the game than most other reviews, specifically diving into the obscure tie in novel(!) where like 90% of the game's actual story content was dumped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhulaUqpWPQ

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 4, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wga87CDRyog

Black Dossier was the last I read, wow this goes places.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

lol jesus

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Localizers belong in a gulag

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The only thing that can get away with changing character names is Ace Attorney.

At the very least, localizers should take a moment to parse some character names phonetically and by translation to work out what it's probably meant to be intended rather than accepting them at first-blush. For example, Nichijou's has a character who's meant to be nameless and just referred to as "Professor" (Like "The Doctor" in Doctor Who), but got localized as "Hakase". Or "Monokuma" in DanganRonpa, instead of what's clearly intended - "Monobear".

Sleep and Lights
Jan 1, 2020

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Or "Monokuma" in DanganRonpa, instead of what's clearly intended - "Monobear".

Monokuma was intentionally left the same, Spike Chunsoft requested it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a pun on monochrome

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Shinada is a burnout baseball player that got banned from the sport, now barely making a living by writing for a lovely red light district mag, the only dice he's rolling is not D&D.

So yeah that change was absolutely someone trying too hard to whacky it up, there's also more than one change in Y5 that inserted memes into dialogue that date the localization extremely hard.

I think it's terrible for the humor of the game, too. From what I've seen, the jokes are often times because of the game's straightforward and sincere delivery. The karaoke stuff is brilliant because it takes the characters and puts them in roles they don't look right doing, but it's sold straight. The characters sing as best as they can, and the music video segments are so amazing because they're exactly what you'd expect them to be, just with the Yakuza people put in. There's an incredible amount of confidence in the game's jokes, they're not just one off meme lines or anything. That's what's caused them to hit so hard and be so loved by the people who discover them.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

Localizers belong in a big prison, just like my ex-wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Motto posted:

The yakuza 5 rerelease saw a spike in them where they didn't exist previously, but the head of loc for RGG Studio's games has said that he’s not fond of memes himself and generally tries to err away when people try to jam them in.

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure the PS3 remasters had a different head of localization than Y0 (because he would have been working on Y7 at that point)