Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bleck posted:

I'm just gonna play the game the way I want, thanks.

Yeah, I mean, that's fine. These were recommendations so you don't get thrown into situations that you can't handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Do any other Sages have trouble healing/shielding through wall-pulls in the 81 dungeon? That's twice in a row that my tank has melted once they have 7-8 mobs on them, despite me putting as much Haima, Zoe'd E.Diag, Physis+Holos, and Soteria on, and doing as much DPS as I can. They seem to be using cooldowns as far as I can tell, so it's not just a lack of CDs.

It tends to get pretty tight, especially on the last pull before the second boss and the pull before the last boss. For those, I usually save Haima and burn Panhaima on previous pulls, and throw in Physis + Taurochole + Holos after the first Kerachole's worn off, since this usually aligns with big cooldowns from most tanks falling off. A Zoe'd E.Diagnosis with Soteria and a final Kerachole is normally enough to finish them off.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I mean, that's fine. These were recommendations so you don't get thrown into situations that you can't handle.

I think I was maybe reading an edge that wasn't there, sorry. I wasn't so much asking for help with those jobs as I was responding to the idea that Sage is implicitly harder than they are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've seen it argued that Sage is actually a really good job for a brand new healer, so long as they can get over the initial learning cliff. Sage teaches you some good healer habits: relying on oGCDs as much as possible, contributing DPS, and staying close to the team (so you can use Phlegma) instead of standing all the way off in Narnia where your AoE heals will miss people.

It's a lot to wrap your head around up-front, but if you can do that, the things you'll learn by playing Sage correctly will just generally teach you how to be a decent FFXIV healer overall.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Kinda hitting the doldrums for leveling DRG at 87+, SGE at 81+, and DNC at ~76. After DRs, should I just do Bozja for DNC until 81+, and run dungeons on SGE and DRG?

Zad z3 fate/ce groups are almost certainly the fastest sustainable way of levelling outside of insta queue roles in dungeons. I was hitting north of 6m xp per hour pushing in the high 80s. Imo frontline once per day (~5m xp for 20 minutes of work) straight into z3 for braindead levelling, just make sure you have decent essences.

I prefer bozja even for tanks and healers because I can be distracted, essences make you immortal, and the xp is far more granular than dungeons so I'm always making some kind of progress.

edit: to make it clear, yeah bozja 81+ sure feels faster than dungeons. AND the prestige levels (whatever they are called) for mettle past 25 speed things up even more. So levelling there is a virtuous cycle as you spend mettle for like 30% more hp, dmg, 50% more healing

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 3, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bleck posted:

I think I was maybe reading an edge that wasn't there, sorry. I wasn't so much asking for help with those jobs as I was responding to the idea that Sage is implicitly harder than they are.

Yeah nah, I think Sage is probably on the simpler end as far as healer kits go. I'm just coming at this from the perspective that looking at Sage with zero healing experience, I was immediately overwhelmed and pretty scared of W2W pulls. Hence the recommendations for easing yourself into the role, something I'm actively doing right now.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
The short range on phlegma is probably one of the best healer decisions they've made.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Radioactive Toy posted:

The short range on phlegma is probably one of the best healer decisions they've made.

I've seen lots of people complain about needing to get in close to use Phlegma, but yeah the idea is that you should be getting closer with any healer. Phlegma just forces the issue. Icarus helps make it feel good to close that distance, too.

Sage rules.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Anyone that doesn't think a Sage walking right into melee with a boss and Phlegma punching them isn't the coolest thing ever can gently caress right off.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

A few of my friends just signed up for the game. Which rules. They're all playing different jobs and I'd like to power them to 15 so they can try out some jobs in dungeons. What's the highest level area I can bring them to (in a Regalia) to level them all? I imagine I'll have them all group and I stay outside of group.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

How many classes just have a "gently caress it, monk was right, punch time" button now?

I can see Sage, Summoner, Warrior

DRK punches the floor

PLD has the shield bash but that's borderline

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Zomborgon posted:

How many classes just have a "gently caress it, monk was right, punch time" button now?

DRK punches the floor

sch

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Bragon posted:

A few of my friends just signed up for the game. Which rules. They're all playing different jobs and I'd like to power them to 15 so they can try out some jobs in dungeons. What's the highest level area I can bring them to (in a Regalia) to level them all? I imagine I'll have them all group and I stay outside of group.

Just have them do the MSQ. They won't be able to do actual dungeons until they lock the duty finder, which is MSQ gated outside of guildhests. Although I think they can unlock Halatali at level 20 and that's optional.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

King of Solomon posted:

So start with the level 30 jobs and manually queue, you'll have a slightly larger kit without jumping into a job with an enormous kit before you even know how the role works. Harrow has it exactly right.

Nobody who has levelled any job to 90 really needs to do this, none of the roles in this game are that hard if you have any experience with mmo's at all. Spam your attack and cycle ogcd's and maybe hard cast some heals if you fall behind, that's literally all it takes.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Anyone that doesn't think a Sage walking right into melee with a boss and Phlegma punching them isn't the coolest thing ever can gently caress right off.

The actual coolest thing ever is a Sage blasting the boss in the face with Zoe Pneuma between Phlegma punches.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Harrow posted:

Icarus helps make it feel good to close that distance, too.

It's so nice I wish every healer had an Icarus-like.

At least give Astro one so every healer I actually play has one.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

This is a good macro 👍

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PhilippAchtel posted:

This is a good macro 👍

I will spin the boss to cleave the blm if they ever drop something like that while I'm tanking. If I'm ranged, I'm standing right on them. If I'm melee, I'm doing my best to drop aoes on them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I would probably only actually do that to a fellow goon and not a random pubbie. I'd roll my eyes really loving hard at the person using it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

that apparently a goon macro, so if you see someone with it you can freely mess with them

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Oxyclean posted:

that apparently a goon macro, so if you see someone with it you can freely mess with them

I know at least one of them is, and they have sound effects on it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

PhilippAchtel posted:

This is a good macro 👍

Between that one and Royal Thighness it's kind of fun seeing goons making the rounds in FFXIV spaces

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Zomborgon posted:

DRK punches the floor

Reaper should get an honorable mention for hitting an enemy with the bottom of the scythe to let them know they're about to die.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I am trying to remember how to redmage after a long break and I'm giving myself an aneurysm.

Worse yet is my HUD from back when I was semi-competent is gone and I can't download it.

Does anyone have a cool and good RDM HUD layout I could import?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

I will spin the boss to cleave the blm if they ever drop something like that while I'm tanking. If I'm ranged, I'm standing right on them. If I'm melee, I'm doing my best to drop aoes on them.

The funny part will be when you spin the boss to cleave the BLM right as a healer rescues the BLM on top of you and you just end up cleaving the rest of the party while the BLM gets off scot-free.

Zomborgon posted:

DRK punches the floor

Scholar open-hand slaps the floor.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Never mind I can't remember anything, nor CBF to try and take 3 hours to reset the HUD.

Have fun yall!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What kind of frakenHUD did you have set up in the first place

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Failboattootoot posted:

Nobody who has levelled any job to 90 really needs to do this, none of the roles in this game are that hard if you have any experience with mmo's at all. Spam your attack and cycle ogcd's and maybe hard cast some heals if you fall behind, that's literally all it takes.

Ehhhh. I'm not confident that someone who's never healed before could handle a level 60+ wall to wall pull, but maybe you're right.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

that seems like a good strat for dancer

I'm a dragoon though so I need my uptime

Do you not have assigned spots for poison spread? Should be easy to pre-declare a safe spot that you can gap close after water/lightning but before the poison goes off. Poison post-cape/sword is even easier.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ibblebibble posted:

Do you not have assigned spots for poison spread? Should be easy to pre-declare a safe spot that you can gap close after water/lightning but before the poison goes off. Poison post-cape/sword is even easier.

Our static is doing uptime lightning, so we drag the boss to the edge. Which means that if it's water after all, I need to arm's length it, so I can't use it on cape later. This is overall fine, because the fire/poison after the first elemental is really really fast, but the fire/poison after cape is really slow (like 8 seconds) so I'd much rather be scrambling into position then anyways.

I think you misunderstood a bit though, because poison is never really the problem, for me at least. The one pattern that my static has yet to clear successfully is water poison lightning cape fire, and it's the fire that gets us. We have a strat planned out--melee group comes back to the boss, ranged group stays out--but it comes up so rarely that we haven't gotten the reps in yet, and it's also the only pattern where it's particularly helpful to mark the healers so we always forget to give them numbers.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Our static is doing uptime lightning, so we drag the boss to the edge. Which means that if it's water after all, I need to arm's length it, so I can't use it on cape later. This is overall fine, because the fire/poison after the first elemental is really really fast, but the fire/poison after cape is really slow (like 8 seconds) so I'd much rather be scrambling into position then anyways.

I think you misunderstood a bit though, because poison is never really the problem, for me at least. The one pattern that my static has yet to clear successfully is water poison lightning cape fire, and it's the fire that gets us. We have a strat planned out--melee group comes back to the boss, ranged group stays out--but it comes up so rarely that we haven't gotten the reps in yet, and it's also the only pattern where it's particularly helpful to mark the healers so we always forget to give them numbers.

Oh what, it's just split into light parties, 1 group is out at max melee 2 group is right under him, that's it. The hardest part about fire is dragging him back to the center, but luckily I'm a PLD and MTing at that point and I go into my magic phase right after the tankbuster so I can pull him back with no uptime loss.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If its water then cape, we all start scattered all over the arena and have to regroup quickly for fire. That's where the issue is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The melee group usually does fine, it's the ranged group that has issues picking where to regroup, cause we forget to mark the healers, because it only matters for this one pattern, which we've only gotten like three times ever

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

We always use our knockback immunity for Shift, even if there is no knockback this time.
It helps with consistency, and water before the Shift is easy enough to do without immunity while keeping melee uptime.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
doing water->fire without kb immunity sounds like a pain

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The trick is playing a sage who can gapclose together with a tank and 2 melees :v:

E: That is: Pull the boss to the side. Sage, tank and 2 melee get knocked away from the boss and gapclose. The others get knocked through the boss towards the wall and stay there.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 4, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

If it's water > fire first just gapclose and your healers should have enough time to run back in. I always save my anti kb for cape/water second, no regrets. Makes positioning for fire second a lot easier.

Edit: if you mean water > fire second with cape one anti kb can cover both the water and the cape, just hit it when you see/hear the water quadrant splash.

Edit edit: for what it's worth my static just keeps him in the middle, pulling him to the side for uptime never really worked for us.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 4, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ibblebibble posted:

If it's water > fire first just gapclose and your healers should have enough time to run back in. I always save my anti kb for cape/water second, no regrets. Makes positioning for fire second a lot easier.

Edit: if you mean water > fire second with cape one anti kb can cover both the water and the cape, just hit it when you see/hear the water quadrant splash.

Edit edit: for what it's worth my static just keeps him in the middle, pulling him to the side for uptime never really worked for us.

nah I do mean water->fire first, we're well practiced at negating both knockbacks with a single arm's length if they come together. We've gotten pretty good at lightning uptime, so he's never at the center, because you have to move him long before you know whether it's lightning or water. It feels like you pretty much have to agree as a static whether you're using surecast on water or on cape and all do the same thing, or else regrouping for fire is going to be a nightmare in some patterns as people are all over the place

It took about two weeks to really work out all the kinks, but we're pretty solid on this strat of dragging him to the edge and then always negating water, no matter whether it's first or second. The only pattern that still bothers us is water poison lightning cape fire, and only because we see it so rarely we never practice it

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
This is a very silly question, but is it worth it for a job in the low 50s to queue up for either of the MSQDR duties even without the MSQDR bonuses? I already did MSQDR today, but I'm kinda curious how much EXP my SCH (level 53) would get from doing Prae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
absolutely not