Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Spill_Eviction/status/1489060762425384963?t=f8woPawmHbuDmToUTnKmmQ&s=19

Smh game is literally unplayable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Probably done to facilitate room-over-room shenanigans, given that is done by drawing two sectors in the same X/Y coordinates. If any vertices overlapped, things would get confusing (for the level author at the very least, if not the engine itself).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I hope this person never enters a medieval cottage

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you want the FPS equivalent of a colonoscopy, use a teleporter in Doom 3 or play the second to last level of Halo 3

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Or Prey 2006, and enjoy a veritable buffet of orifices to explore.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is some next level Navigatr poo poo.
What's Navigatr? Google gives me some weird clothing line.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sounds like SOMA lol
I've never played SOMA. Is it good? I remember liking the Amnesia games.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

anatomi posted:

I've never played SOMA. Is it good? I remember liking the Amnesia games.

I really enjoyed SOMA, and I imagine that if you enjoyed the Amnesia games, SOMA is a safe bet. It's probably one of my favorite games in the genre.

Some critics of the game will point out that the ideas it explores aren't exactly new, but if you have any interest in concepts of "self", AI, and existential horror, I think the game does a great job with these themes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
SOMA is extremely good as both a horror game and a sci-fi story, if you read a lot of sci-fi you'll be able to see where it's going but it's presented really well and has some great environments

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

anatomi posted:

What's Navigatr? Google gives me some weird clothing line.

Sorry; NAVGTR. Watch all of this. Jeeeeezus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3JUrhh9VC8

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Weird Sandwich posted:

Duke's health being tied to his ego was a cool idea that was implemented terribly in an awful game.

Manhattan Project was pretty good! :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SOMA’s amazing. One of my fave games ever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SOMA illustrates its central concept better than other media can even though other stories have explored it. I wish there was more game to it but that's a problem with horror video games in general nowadays. But it's definitely worth playing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shadow Hog posted:

Probably done to facilitate room-over-room shenanigans, given that is done by drawing two sectors in the same X/Y coordinates. If any vertices overlapped, things would get confusing (for the level author at the very least, if not the engine itself).

Oh, the engine gets confused too, it semi-randomly combines overlapping vertices even if they're connected to entirely separate sectors.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's a fan theory that Uncharted's health isn't actually Nathan getting shot, but a reflection of his luck.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's a fan theory that Uncharted's health isn't actually Nathan getting shot, but a reflection of his luck.

I think that's the official statement from the developers- he never actually gets hit until his luck literally runs out, then he takes one hit and instantly dies like a normal person

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just finished Project Warlock and do you become Satan at the end?

You should check out the summary for the sequel on Steam. We'll be playing as the Warlock's apprentices, hunting down their now corrupted master.

Finished the game on Switch, could definitely imagine how much better it would play on pc. But I used the Hori joycons with massive analogsticks, so it you turn off vertical aiming it isn't too bad.

Also, did anybody ever sourceport Catacombs Abyss? Seems like the type of game that would benefit from strafing and a map, like ECWolf did for Wolfenstein. Played it a lot as a kid, but always ended up getting lost.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does it chug on Switch? Was thinking of picking it up there. I already have it on pc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sobatchja Morda posted:

You should check out the summary for the sequel on Steam. We'll be playing as the Warlock's apprentices, hunting down their now corrupted master.

Finished the game on Switch, could definitely imagine how much better it would play on pc. But I used the Hori joycons with massive analogsticks, so it you turn off vertical aiming it isn't too bad.

Also, did anybody ever sourceport Catacombs Abyss? Seems like the type of game that would benefit from strafing and a map, like ECWolf did for Wolfenstein. Played it a lot as a kid, but always ended up getting lost.

I'd love a CA source port.

And yeah, vertical aim is off for both the Steam and Switch versions for me. If enemies are always on my plane and there's no locational damage, then there's no need to complicate anything.

Also, I truly don't understand how you could have beaten the final boss, because daaaaaaaamn.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does it chug on Switch? Was thinking of picking it up there. I already have it on pc.

Yes. Bad port.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I wouldn't say it chugs, but it's certainly not 60fps when it should be.

Gyro aiming would help a gently caress ton.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Played and beat Project Warlock on Switch. It seemed fine. Also, zero reason for vertical aim, turn it off. Also, also play SOMA.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah I turned off vertical aim for it on PC since it's going for a Wolf3D thing and seems like it was designed around it being off.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Runs better on Switch than on PC. That's not saying a lot though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Ok, I don't understand this, because it very much doesn't. At least not between my Switch and PC. Runs like smooth butter on my PC with all of the extra poo poo turned on, but it's noticeably a lower framerate on Switch.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Are you running it on the PC-1 or the PC-X?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
And, also weird question: normal switch or lite? And if the former, handheld or dock? Because I used normal in handheld mode, if that makes a difference.

And that final boss, well...my main issue was that I REALLY started to run out of ammo. That thing is an insane bulletsponge, and the constant spawns make the power to walk through enemies a must.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sobatchja Morda posted:

CatacombGL supports both Id's original Catacomb 3D and Softdisk's trilogy (Abyss, Armageddon, Apocalypse).

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Are you running it on the PC-1 or the PC-X?

It's only a 760m but there's no reason a game that looks like Wolfenstein should chug on that. Unity!

Edit: Amid Evil and Dusk both run significantly better, though I have to run Dusk at a lower resolution. Also unacceptable for what looks like a Quake/Chasm clone.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dieting Hippo posted:

Manhattan Project was pretty good! :v:

DNF is good in my book, I will die on this Duke hill until the end of time.

I enjoy Curse of the Catacombs as much as the next guy, and frankly I find DNF a more entertaining piece of gamery to revisit. Duke would annihilate that wizardy guy with his wit and throwing of waste products.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

It's only a 760m but there's no reason a game that looks like Wolfenstein should chug on that. Unity!

Edit: Amid Evil and Dusk both run significantly better, though I have to run Dusk at a lower resolution. Also unacceptable for what looks like a Quake/Chasm clone.

I found on my last build that unity stuff tended to be quite choppy with vsync turned off, even though I had a gsync monitor. No idea why, maybe that's what was happening for you?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prophet of Nixon posted:

maybe if your pc is bad cos it runs l ike shiiiit on switch

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

maybe if your pc is bad cos it runs l ike shiiiit on switch

Maybe they got Barudak's old craptop

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I found on my last build that unity stuff tended to be quite choppy with vsync turned off, even though I had a gsync monitor. No idea why, maybe that's what was happening for you?

Unity games seem to run better with the GPU power set to max in the graphics drivers, not sure why. If you have an Nvidia card try enabling Low Latency mode as well, that always seems to help!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Maybe they got Barudak's old craptop

I hope not, I've buried it in a tomb that knows no sound.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Laptop Semetary

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

I hope not, I've buried it in a tomb that knows no sound.

may it one day be discovered by a band of unknowing adventurers, who will soon meet their swift demise at 4fps in Quake E1M1

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like no Death Wish 2.0 until 2023.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/death-wish-for-blood/news/death-wish-v20-progress-update

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
aren't you supposed to enable vsync when using a gsync monitor

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

site posted:

aren't you supposed to enable vsync when using a gsync monitor

the best thing to do with a gsync monitor is cap your framerate to slightly below the monitors max refresh rate, so vsync (or lack thereof) never engages

nowadays the nvidia control panel has an FPS limiter you can use to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
everything i read on it when i bought my monitor said to do both :shrug: