Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I'm just surprised (pleasantly so) that when me and my buddy logged out when on a boat trip, when we moved back in the boat was there and the only damage was from my momentarily clipping through the boat, damaging it and me (not enough to kill either fortunately). I'd been expecting worst tbh

The other viking I've been playing with had wanted to find plains for a while, we finally got a ship made and went assuming to find some. We finally did naturally it was on a long out jutting peninsula of the starting continent!

Love the chill vibe of this game, and the difficulty curve and the way it works. I saw a troll for the first time days after I'd started playing the game, from a distance, and when it saw me I actually felt panicked and ran. Now that i fight them the feeling of progression is just so... Fulfilling!

Now if they'd just quit killing my carrot crops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Deathsquitos are unfun bullshit, don't @ me

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Atgeirs make excellent flyswatters.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Deathsquitos have so few hp if you are accurate you can get them with an arrow when they are on their jousting flight toward your neck. Just uh, don't miss.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I prefer to just knife those fuckers. You have to see them coming but it's pretty easy.

I also don't think they're bad game design. They make the plains inaccessible if you're underleveled and not super careful, and are still dangerous when you're at end game gear. If the plains were completely safe it wouldn't be much fun.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Are there any specific rules for where the merchant slawns, besides black forest biome? If i sail by could his icon appear or do i have to scout the islands on foot?

Try root armor against the squitos. I think they do mostly pierce so it might negate them.

Burns fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 4, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You just have to get within a certain distance to get the symbol to appear on the map. I think the distance is about 2 default mini mall widths.

He can spawn in any black forest. This can sometimes make him very hard to find.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I believe the map generates a set of locations where he can spawn and picks whichever of those you find first.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah it picks several spots and puts him in whichever you pass first

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Firebert posted:

Yeah I've been meaning to try it for a while, been sitting in my catalogue for like two years, not sure if it will scratch the same building itch but the exploration looks fun

Subnautica can absolutely scratch the base building itch, but in a totally different way, because building bases in exotic ocean biomes is unlike anything you've probably experienced.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, how much has this been updated since release? Is there a new biome yet?

I checked the latest patch notes and they said pet wolves don't howl anymore. Took them a while lmao

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, how much has this been updated since release? Is there a new biome yet?

I checked the latest patch notes and they said pet wolves don't howl anymore. Took them a while lmao

There was only one somewhat major update that did a lot of little combat and food changes and seemed to really buff the rate of monster spawns (and foraging spawns anecdotally) and added new monsters + materials to the plains, and a very small update that added a new monster and gear for the swamp. No new biomes.

There are several mods that have fleshed out the existing unfinished biomes though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
After many many hours I have proved that while my Viking with meadows equipment only can antler axe and campfire my way up the tallest mountain, then find silver by luck and with the stagbreaker, I cannot get the silver vein to fall from the sky once I've completely removed it from all its surroundings

Of course once I broke the first chunk with an iron pickaxe the whole thing exploded, but im kind of sad I couldn't skip the entirety of swamp tier

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress. They had great momentum at launch, and instead of going balls-to-the-wall and greatly expanding their team to accelerate pace of development, it seems they're going at the same pace and taking their time with everything? What a waste of opportunity.

A game like this that gets a massive surge of popularity should aim for one content update a month, imo.

Nah, I am fine with the pace and them taking their time to get things right. There are plenty of other flash in the pan games to play while waiting. :unsmith:

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Well, I hope they enjoyed their brief moment under the spotlight then...

Jesus Christ dude :jerkbag:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 5, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Firebert posted:

There was only one somewhat major update that did a lot of little combat and food changes and seemed to really buff the rate of monster spawns (and foraging spawns anecdotally) and added new monsters + materials to the plains, and a very small update that added a new monster and gear for the swamp. No new biomes.

There are several mods that have fleshed out the existing unfinished biomes though.

Thanks! I'll wait a bit before I install it again then.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I mean, it's already a good deal for 20, I'm glad they are updating it and i don't feel conned.

If they were strategizing and wanted to make the maximum amount of money and maybe build a bigger corporation they could hire a bunch more people and maybe it would work great for them and maybe it wouldn't. I could see taking their current engine and making some great clone games i think they have a flair for content and balance so far.

I hope it stays a "labor of love" however which is the vibe i get so far, if they keep releasing such deep content and don't get distracted by making their next game to keep profits up, Valheim could be something really special.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

JosephSkunk posted:

I hope it stays a "labor of love" however which is the vibe i get so far, if they keep releasing such deep content and don't get distracted by making their next game to keep profits up, Valheim could be something really special.

I agree, and while my lizard brain wants more NOW, I'd rather see what product they'd like to make, rather than what they're forced to release due to over promising or needing to end production and call it finished because of overhead or something.

That said, I'm a little concerned that one of the devs is pretty committed to making it a hardcore survival game (or at least was) which is generally not what players seem to want. Most additional modded content is building related or adds more stuff in general, but I don't think anyone would prefer if hunger deteriorated more rapidly or you had to balance your diet or whatever else hardcore survival suggests. Who knows, though, the game has been great so far so maybe whatever they do will be fine.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
edit: double post

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Recently got to iron tier. Made an iron buckler and a longship. Currently using troll armor. Have all bronze weapons to level 3. What gear piece should I go for next? I’m trying to decide between an iron helm and iron sword. Whichever I pick I’m going to fully upgrade before making anything else. Which would be more useful first? Playing co-op with my brother and not rushing the game if that makes a difference.

nelson fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 6, 2022

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Making a new item in a new tier is typically a better return on investment than upgrading an item. I'd say to make a bunch of iron stuff first, then think about upgrading.

Iron mace will also get you a fair bit of mileage with both the locals and the boss.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

nelson posted:

Recently got to iron tier. Made an iron buckler and a longship. Currently using troll armor. Have all bronze weapons to level 3. What gear piece should I go for next? I’m trying to decide between an iron helm and iron sword. Whichever I pick I’m going to fully upgrade before making anything else. Which would be more useful first? Playing co-op with my brother and not rushing the game if that makes a difference.
Iron pickaxe, iron mace, iron armor. I would also not upgrade all the way beforehand, a new tier is way more important.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I have some questions/context but if you want to skip all that, my question is - "Should my wife and I play Valheim?"

The long rambling context/background -

My wife loves exploration in games. She's absolute poo poo at reading maps and directions but she still loves to explore. We played Minecraft together and had a lot of fun for a while but we got burned out because we don't enjoy the actual "building" aspect of Minecraft. She really enjoys Subnautica (other than it can give her headaches for some reason, which no game has ever done). She likes the build/craft/explore gameplay loop - so long as it is rewarding. She tried Satisfactory and enjoyed it for a while until the building aspect started to "feeling too much like work" to her - as it starts requiring a lot of planning. She is more the type that likes to slap down some buildings that she needs and then head back out exploring. We ended up playing coop where I build and she explores. Unfortunately the exploration in that game is not really rewarding, which left her feeling like she was wasting her time.

Someone recommended Valheim to me. I know it's early access, but how "complete" does it feel? Is it buggy? Despite Satisfactory being early access, we encountered very few bugs (at worst, there are items/features of the game that are present but not actually implemented.) It's a procedurally generated world, so that seems like it could be good or bad depending on the detail of the world. How big is the world? How much time would it take to "complete" the game, as it is?

Basically - is the exploration "fun"?

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

BrianRx posted:

I'm a little concerned that one of the devs is pretty committed to making it a hardcore survival game (or at least was) which is generally not what players seem to want. Most additional modded content is building related or adds more stuff in general, but I don't think anyone would prefer if hunger deteriorated more rapidly or you had to balance your diet or whatever else hardcore survival suggests

I hear you there i don't want this game to head down the road into "how long can YOU last!!!" type mechanics, at least so far the push pull between their interests has lead to a great building game where the parts have value (since sweat equity) and the build gets tested by varying types of attacks, but you still have time (and the need) to plant and check moods on bees and murder innocent forest dwellers pick berries etc etc

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Mordiceius posted:

I have some questions/context but if you want to skip all that, my question is - "Should my wife and I play Valheim?"

100% yes. The game world is beautiful and incredibly engaging to explore. The progression perfectly nails the loop of “ok I explored and found some new resource, I need to build things (crafting stations and buildings, proxy bases, etc) to use them. The combat and weapons aren’t anything amazing, but they are good enough to make everything a very satisfying experience, and they’re miles ahead of something like Minecraft.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

causticBeet posted:

100% yes. The game world is beautiful and incredibly engaging to explore. The progression perfectly nails the loop of “ok I explored and found some new resource, I need to build things (crafting stations and buildings, proxy bases, etc) to use them. The combat and weapons aren’t anything amazing, but they are good enough to make everything a very satisfying experience, and they’re miles ahead of something like Minecraft.

Yeah. My wife really loves the loop of: go explore -> gather a bunch of stuff -> try to go home -> craft stuff into new gear/buildings/features/whatever -> go exploring some more. Anything that gets in the way of that frustrates her.

Satisfactory had a cool world, but there wasn't much actual value in exploring. Minecraft had cool exploring with the caves and what not, but often felt pointless.

Subnautica had drat near a perfect loop for her, but she just couldn't play for long periods as it gave her headaches.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

My wife loves exploration in games. She's absolute poo poo at reading maps and directions but she still loves to explore. We played Minecraft together and had a lot of fun for a while but we got burned out because we don't enjoy the actual "building" aspect of Minecraft. She really enjoys Subnautica (other than it can give her headaches for some reason, which no game has ever done). She likes the build/craft/explore gameplay loop - so long as it is rewarding. She tried Satisfactory and enjoyed it for a while until the building aspect started to "feeling too much like work" to her - as it starts requiring a lot of planning. She is more the type that likes to slap down some buildings that she needs and then head back out exploring. We ended up playing coop where I build and she explores. Unfortunately the exploration in that game is not really rewarding, which left her feeling like she was wasting her time.

Someone recommended Valheim to me. I know it's early access, but how "complete" does it feel? Is it buggy? Despite Satisfactory being early access, we encountered very few bugs (at worst, there are items/features of the game that are present but not actually implemented.) It's a procedurally generated world, so that seems like it could be good or bad depending on the detail of the world. How big is the world? How much time would it take to "complete" the game, as it is?

I think you and your wife should play this game, yes.

The worlds are absolutely enormous and very detailed. The main part of "open access" is that there are two biomes currently in the game that are not fleshed out: you can go there but there isn't really anything there at all to do. They also generally spawn very far from the center of the map (where you start) and are easy to avoid. I have a few hundred hours and never felt like I was avoiding them or that they were intrusive.

Exploring is a big part of how to play: you will need someone to find resource nodes, enemies, routes, and places to build. I spent awhile sailing around trying to find a cool looking outcropping to make a base/abbey on and more time looking for my next biome. Also finding resources.

That said, I don't believe that you can ONLY explore. You don't need to build elaborate buildings to succeed, but some degree of farming and mining is very helpful, to the point of being required. It's only the last biome where you primarily advance through the biome by killing foes, every other biome mostly has you venturing into them to acquire resources (usually some type of ore) and bringing it back while foes try to stop you.

If you like exploring, farming, and maybe some mining while she runs around finding things and maybe helping mine, I think you'll have a lot of fun.

E: saw your new post. Yeah I think you all will love it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Awesome! Thank you. This does sound perfect.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Valheim is as close to the Subnautica loop as I think anyone has gotten on land. There are a series of bosses to fight that gate major progression items behind them, but you have to explore to find them and figure out the items needed to summon them. They aren't that hard and are pretty cool. You'll be gathering stuff to build better facilities to make better gear to gather new stuff to build new facilities to make better gear. You have to venture out into the wilderness to find new areas that have their own enemies, environments and resources, and the game progression drives you to constantly explore.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Valheim is very much more about combat and building than it is about really exploring. You do explore and can explore freely at basically any point. The world seeds are huge and there are certainly the rare “natural” landmarks to stumble across. However the only “real” point to exploration at the moment is to find more resources or a place to build in using those resources. Like if you just want to park your boat somewhere and wander through the woods you can do that almost endlessly but as for things you’re going to actually find in the woods, besides more resources, it’s very minimal.

Valheim does excel at the building, very much like Satisfactory just villages and forts instead of conveyors and factories, but I would say that if exploration and the act of discovering something for the sake of discovering it is the true main goal it will fall short at the moment.

There might be mods out there that improve that part of the game but unfortunately I don’t know them.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Subnautica had drat near a perfect loop for her, but she just couldn't play for long periods as it gave her headaches.

I haven't played Subnautica, but I get headaches if FoV is set too low, especially if there are dark, narrow corridors. Ultrawide monitor helps with this as well.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I just wanna throw in there, I picked up Grounded and it's definitely itching that explore, build constant that I loved about Valheim. Even though it's still EA, I'm about 15 hrs and still haven't gone through all the content yet.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mordiceius posted:

Awesome! Thank you. This does sound perfect.

Be sure to come back and post your bases

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kibayasu posted:

the only “real” point to exploration at the moment is to find more resources or a place to build in using those resources. Like if you just want to park your boat somewhere and wander through the woods you can do that almost endlessly but as for things you’re going to actually find in the woods, besides more resources, it’s very minimal.

This is worth reiterating: apart from size and procedurally generated differences in terrain each instance of a biome is completely interchangeable with every other. ‘Meadows’ is the starter type biome, and every single one on the (enormous) map contains the same types of fruit, the same tree types, and the same animals and enemies. Sail for 20 days and nights to the rear end end of the map, find a Meadow, and it’s pretty much the same as the one you started in.

If you take it slow and wring all the juice out rather than hurrying there’s probably a couple of hundred hours of fun (if occasionally really frustrating) content here.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Are there caves and nooks and crannies that are worth exploring?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mordiceius posted:

There's crypts that have some resources that you'll be in a lot of in the black forests and especially swamps

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
And at some point in future there will be caves in the overworld, we are led to believe.

There are also a wide range of ruined buildings of various sizes in all biomes, and things to search out in them and elsewhere in the biomes, generally.

It's certainly a game where the 'explore, come back when your pack is full, craft and build, explore some more' loop you descibed is essentially the main gameplay loop if you want it to be.

SOme farming is needed, but it's not particularly onerous unless you want it to be.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Good to know. I just wanted to make sure that there is stuff to see/find that is more than "yeah, just trees and rocks."

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, there’s landmarks, abandoned places, tombs and whatnot. It’s no Skyrim, but there is plenty of stuff to discover on a first playthrough.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I spent 3 days sailing around our game world looking for a boss rune so yeah, there will be some exploring sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Two of the biomes have caves/dungeons and all of them have small ruins of small settlements or towers. That said the ones you find in each biome are all very similar in layout and look and what you’ll find in them will be the same as the one before.

I like Valheim a lot but the most “exploration” I’ve ever done was this one world where for the life of me I couldn’t find a swamp biome that had a single crypt in it - you need the crypts for a resource of course. After that was the time me and a friend spent some time looking for a place with several rock spires close enough together in the plains to build on top of.

Given your description I think Valheim will, in its current form, probably work for you and her in the same ways that Satisfactory did and eventually didn’t.

I should add that one thing that Valheim did that worked extremely well for me compared to other games like 7 Days to Die or Minecraft was that when I finished building something in Valheim it actually looked like that thing. In those other games I could never quite get over the fact that everything was a cube - even the things that didn’t look like a cube still worked like a cube. Subnautica was better but everything basically being pre-fab with little room for creativity besides the order in which you put them in eventually stopped me from building too much there as well. In Valheim ending up with something far more natural looking counted for a lot.