Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

This is a dumb question and I feel dumb for having to ask it because I messed up but is there any way to add Apple Care + to a phone after the offer expires? I 100% thought I had done it but... I guess not!

Maybe. You'd have to call Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok well support told me I was SOL because it’s been over 30 days.

On the plus side I just found out that YouTube apparently fixed PiP?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Ok well support told me I was SOL because it’s been over 30 days.

On the plus side I just found out that YouTube apparently fixed PiP?

I find that PIP for YouTube only works on a link from the forums, because I think it’s meant to be a paid YouTube whatever they call it feature in the actual YouTube app but the forums app gets around it somehow.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Make a PMF thread that’s all videos you want to watch pip

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I find that PIP for YouTube only works on a link from the forums, because I think it’s meant to be a paid YouTube whatever they call it feature in the actual YouTube app but the forums app gets around it somehow.

Yeah pretty sure it’s a premium feature. I’m glad it’s finally back though because it was dumb they removed it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Wonder if anyone can answer this question about the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.

Let's say I get my new phone in the mail and I end up not liking it and I want a different model. Can I just go to an Apple Store and exchange it or does it all have to be done through the mail?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wonder if anyone can answer this question about the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.

Let's say I get my new phone in the mail and I end up not liking it and I want a different model. Can I just go to an Apple Store and exchange it or does it all have to be done through the mail?

14 day return policy, doesn’t matter if you got it online or through the store.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah pretty sure it’s a premium feature. I’m glad it’s finally back though because it was dumb they removed it.

Don't get used to it. It's going away again tomorrow.

I guess they're McRibing it?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I noticed I got a tiny scratch on my 13PM. Hopefully I’ll forget about it but does Apple care + support screen replacements? Also, if I end up trading in for the 14, what happens to the AppleCare+? Does that increase the value to Apple? Carry over? Or you just lose it.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Zero One posted:

They’re McRibing it, or it’s leaving the experimental phase and will release it to everyone.

Knowing them, it’ll be the former.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just use a Safari link and PiPifier or Vinegar or something and you never have to worry that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zero One posted:

What in the god drat hell.

I really like the feature. They suck if they remove it for whatever drat reason.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They’re desperate to make YouTube red look like any sort of good idea.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PiP was fine in the fall, but lately it's gotten all fucky with putting a box of a finished video on the screen. They're also testing some cross platform resume feature, where if you watch part of a video on your desktop the next time you launch the app on your phone it tries to resume that video from the same spot.

Which is a reasonable idea, but if you clicked a link to open a specific youtube video it ignores this and loads up the video it wants you to resume.

So it needs work.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So now when you power off the phone, it says "iPhone remains findable when powered off". How does this work?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

So now when you power off the phone, it says "iPhone remains findable when powered off". How does this work?

It uses lower power chips process and send out pings for its location.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

It uses lower power chips process and send out pings for its location.

Ah ok. Has it always done this and they're just explaining it now? Or is this an update?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Ah ok. Has it always done this and they're just explaining it now? Or is this an update?

Seems like it's a feature that was introduced with the ultrawideband chips that were first in iPhone 11.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I tried to find a thread for streaming services but I couldn't find anything.

As a big Neil-head I find myself in dire straits now that he's off Spotify, the streaming service I've been using since day one. How good/bad is Youtube Music? The added benefit of an ad-free Youtube experience is very tempting. I bet the recommendations won't be as good as Spotify's so I'd have to browse more actively, but other than that, the apps are OK etc?

I don't want another one of my eggs in Tim's basket, so Apple Music is out of the question. What else is there? Tidal?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Xabi posted:

As a big Neil-head I find myself in dire straits now that he's off Spotify, the streaming service I've been using since day one. How good/bad is Youtube Music? The added benefit of an ad-free Youtube experience is very tempting. I bet the recommendations won't be as good as Spotify's so I'd have to browse more actively, but other than that, the apps are OK etc?

I don't want another one of my eggs in Tim's basket, so Apple Music is out of the question. What else is there? Tidal?

Why not just go with Apple Music? I mean, you already have an iPhone. It’s extremely good and keeps getting better.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Xabi posted:

I have Youtube music and it's okay? It doesn't do a great job of surfacing new songs and tends to keep throwing me the same stuff I've already listened to, but I've not really been unable to find stuff I want to listen to on it.

If song discovery is really important to you than another service may serve your needs better. I watch a lot of youtube so the ad-free experience is worth it to me for a somewhat subpar song discovery ability.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Why not just go with Apple Music? I mean, you already have an iPhone. It’s extremely good and keeps getting better.

Besides the dogshit radio algorithms, yeah.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Besides the dogshit radio algorithms, yeah.

Spotify's algorithm is the toilet seat cover joke about Amazon, except the toilet seat covers keep getting more racist.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kilometers Davis posted:

They said they don't want to give more money to Tim Apple.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xabi posted:

I've been using YouTube Music for awhile now since I picked up a student YouTube Premium membership for no ads. I haven't used it a lot, but it's okay? Selection can be a bit hit or miss (see below), but stuff that they don't have as actual licensed music you can just grab random YouTube fan uploads of and put into your playlists or whatever just fine. Ultimately I find Apple Music has better selections/playlist/discovery (on a trial of this) but it's not worth me getting a different other subscription for. I can't compare to Spotify, because I've never subscribed to it myself.

I'm also not a "Neil-head" but to go with my comments above I went to YouTube music and got the list of Neil Young albums they have on the service. I don't know his catalogue, I have no idea how complete or terrible this is. I'm also in Canada, so it might be a bit different elsewhere:

https://ibb.co/C2TFpBH

https://ibb.co/W6VQ1Jg

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Apple Music's algorithms have gotten a lot better for me over time. It seems like the more you use it, the better it gets. Spotify might be better right off the bat.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The fact you can't sort your Apple Music playlists in recently added order is a dealbreaker for me. I don't want to see and play the oldest song I have in a playlist

Edit: Also the fact you can't easily sort your list of playlists. You can do it by title but putting numbers before your playlist like "1 - My Favourites" you would assume in a sensible world would put it to the top. It puts it to the bottom (I think it might even show at the top in Music on the Mac which is even dumber)

101 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 2, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I miss Groove music lol. The fact I could pay for it entirely by using Bing was great haha

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spotify might be better right off the bat.
I got a four-month trial of Spotify and gave it another shot on a fresh account (unintentionally, but I doubt I could have used the trial on my previous account anyway), and let me tell you, no this is not at all the case. The Discover Weekly playlist was giving me poo poo like REM and Nirvana, which is fine, but not exactly what I would call groundbreaking.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Xabi posted:

I switched to Tidal a few days ago from Spotify and I’m content. The mobile app and web app are alright. I don’t feel I’ve really lost anything but I don’t feel I’ve gained much either (apart from being happy to not be giving money to Spotify anymore)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Apple music is great because it somehow preserved a bunch of playlists I made when I was a teenager using iTunes (I must have... moved them? to apple music somehow?) and now I get to relive my teenage angst whenever I want

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thank you! This looks good so I'll try it out and see if I will end up missing Spotify's recommendations. I understand that not everybody will agree with my stance on not getting even more Apple stuff, but that's how it is.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
e: never mind, I figured the app out

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 2, 2022

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if there's something I can say to stop Siri from reading a text into my earpods? I usually like it but with Wordle I'm receiving a lot of texts "two yellow square emoji..." poo poo that goes on forever.

Googling just shows how to turn it off. I just want to interrupt her and stop for specific messages, if that makes sense.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

maybe mute the thread for wordle in messages?

i can confirm it does keep siri from announcing texts from that sender into your airpods

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
sweet, I'll try that thanks!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

picked up an airtag and a keychain attachment when i had to stop at the apple store for something else yesterday as i tend to put my keys down places i forget.

had my phone and keychain in my pocket and just got a ton of these notifications in a row. i can tell it's my keyring from the phone number. what's causing this as it's going to get annoying if it's persistant.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Don't have the keychain in the same pocket as your phone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Healbot posted:

Don't have the keychain in the same pocket as your phone.

Steve Jobs has risen from his grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I know phone screens these days are supposedly made out of magic scratch proof super glass but the idea of putting anything that isn’t soft and edgeless in the same pocket as my phone is absolutely horrifying.

I’ve never scratched a phone screen and I believe it’s this policy that’s kept me safe in over a decade of smartphone usage.