Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm just tired of fascists stealing stuff. Why the gently caress should they get superheroes? Why can't superheroes represent direct action against oppression in favor of the common people regardless of race, nationality, etc.?

For some reason the model of "one very special individual/group who gets to live out a power fantasy and solve problems using mostly strength" sells better to fascists :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Remember in that one x-man movie where the guy is trying to give his son the anti-gay drug and the son is like NO DAD I WAS BORN THIS WAY AND AM PROUD OF IT and spreads his literal wings and flies away.

It has nothing to do with anything we're talking about I just tend to think of that whenever superhero media comes up and it makes me giggle.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shame Boy posted:

For some reason the model of "one very special individual/group who gets to live out a power fantasy and solve problems using mostly strength" sells better to fascists :iiam:

It matters how it's framed. If it's a strongman imposing his will on the populace, then it's fascist, but if it's someone using their talents to better the lives of those around them and protecting the weak, then it can be uplifting and inspirational.

Good superhero narratives should be more than just fighting Bad Guys. That's one of the issues I have with Superman -- a lot of times the emotional core of "literal god with the humility and mentality of an impoverished farmer's son who wishes to make the world a better place" is cast aside in favor of navel-gazing about how awful it is to have to save people while punching Krushor the Indestructible in the nuts because he is ugly and bad and Different.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

Remember in that one x-man movie where the guy is trying to give his son the anti-gay drug and the son is like NO DAD I WAS BORN THIS WAY AND AM PROUD OF IT and spreads his literal wings and flies away.

It has nothing to do with anything we're talking about I just tend to think of that whenever superhero media comes up and it makes me giggle.

remember that the executive producer of that movie is a serial sex abuser using his power and money to prey on young, rumoured underage, men

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

This has probably come up before but here it is again.

https://twitter.com/RonBeehive/status/1488931046427090950?s=20

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Good superhero narratives should be more than just fighting Bad Guys. That's one of the issues I have with Superman -- a lot of times the emotional core of "literal god with the humility and mentality of an impoverished farmer's son who wishes to make the world a better place" is cast aside in favor of navel-gazing about how awful it is to have to save people while punching Krushor the Indestructible in the nuts because he is ugly and bad and Different.

The original creators of Superman tried to limit his powers because it wouldn't work to have a hero who could solve all of the world's problems. There's an early comic where he grabs Hitler and Stalin and carries them both to the League of Nations, but later they figured that it would be insensitive while people are dying in WWII. However, modern comics often give Superman unlimited strength and speed because bigger numbers equals better comic book.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm just tired of fascists stealing stuff. Why the gently caress should they get superheroes? Why can't superheroes represent direct action against oppression in favor of the common people regardless of race, nationality, etc.?

Snyderism is fascism.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1488916564766339082

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can they also dismantle Willemsbrug and finally cut off Noordereiland completely?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

https://twitter.com/CNBCMakeIt/status/1488934502525198336

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Superman is a socdem I think, idk I'm no expert in these things

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/p906m7/action_comics_3_after_saving_a_group_of_miners/

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

and so she has become a traitor to the planet that gave her life

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BonHair posted:

And Jews can't be fascists, which is why Israel is cool and good. Also Superman is like 100 years old, he's gone through a lot of characterization over the years, and while not all of it is straight fascism, there is still a root of "superhuman good guy with perfect morals protects us from evil bad guys", which I'm gonna call at least fascist adjacent, even if the specific morals are not actually bad.

Israel is gay.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Israel acts like someone connected to some higher level and discovered that were all totally on our own

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Israel is gay.

please do not look outside tel aviv. everything is fine and good and very very gay here and you do not need to go anywhere else. gay. here is gay and safe and fine. just be gay. why do you want to go somewhere less gay.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh hey I've seen that School House Rock short too

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Israel is transphobic for allowing trans people to fight in wars, much like joe biden.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Screaming Idiot posted:

Steal it back! :clint:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Name one major employer HQ based in Vancouver that justifies these house prices. I dare you

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1488939081425903622?t=IWD_WKafG_d2e38saKgoJw&s=19

Lululemon?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
comic book people are loving losers

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the hq of getting your money out of not just the prc but hong kong

prices ate poo poo in every t1 city because they're thinking of a property tax and other poo poo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the hq of getting your money out of not just the prc but hong kong

prices ate poo poo in every t1 city because they're thinking of a property tax and other poo poo

Vancouver already has a foreign buyer tax and an empty home tax but all you have to do is register a corporation and keep buying.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, nobody gives a poo poo about a 15% tax when shenzhen properties ate poo poo for more than 15% last year and are on track to do comparably this year

and its pretty straightforward to avoid the tax

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

China really should do something about private property

Again

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

remember that the executive producer of that movie is a serial sex abuser using his power and money to prey on young, rumoured underage, men

tbh it’s impressive someone could be an sa mod and still have time to produce x-men

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

i am harry posted:

Israel acts like someone connected to some higher level and discovered that were all totally on our own

Israel contacted YHWH and he said, "Like, I'm just really at capacity right now..."

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
The original Superman in the thirties was incredible. Clark Kent would be writing a story about a prison warden, coal mine boss with poor working conditions, or someone shaking down people for protection, he would change into Superman and run on telephone wires to the target and they would "accidentally" die. At the end he would say something snarky above their corpse about how how they had it coming in one way or another.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

AxGrap posted:

The original Superman in the thirties was incredible. Clark Kent would be writing a story about a prison warden, coal mine boss with poor working conditions, or someone shaking down people for protection, he would change into Superman and run on telephone wires to the target and they would "accidentally" die. At the end he would say something snarky above their corpse about how how they had it coming in one way or another.

Super based

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

AxGrap posted:

We used to be a country. A proper country

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

AxGrap posted:

Sounds like people in the 30’s had a bit to learn about how to work within systems and respect the discourse

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AxGrap posted:

Batman was all "anyway, I started blastin'"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AxGrap posted:

we all understand the great depression as a massive crisis in capitalism but people don't really understand how much people were questioning the system at every level in society.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

What is there to question? It's just how things are.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTXnOubIWOk&t=26s

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

i am harry posted:

and so she has become a traitor to the planet that gave her life
if you want to get rich quick just sell your soul