Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I'm confused about the difference between IT Helpdesk, and Customer Success Manager. It looks like they both serve in the same function of supporting users, but the pay is way higher? As someone looking to get into IT with zero experience, could I parlay my clinical background into a Customer Success Manager role? I've been googling like the dickens and it seems like a better play than going into a entry-level helpdesk gig. What's the catch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Trickortreat posted:

I'm confused about the difference between IT Helpdesk, and Customer Success Manager. It looks like they both serve in the same function of supporting users, but the pay is way higher? As someone looking to get into IT with zero experience, could I parlay my clinical background into a Customer Success Manager role? I've been googling like the dickens and it seems like a better play than going into a entry-level helpdesk gig. What's the catch?

Its a cool buzzword to use for the role. You can hope for a promotion to 'Customer Success Engineer'

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trickortreat posted:

Unless someone is abusing the term "customer success" those two things aren't remotely related. A customer success manager usually isn't responsible for actually diagnosing technical issues, but responsible for tracking down the people that can solve any customer issue, technical or not, and grabbing them by the ear and twisting hard. They are normally dedicated to core/strategic accounts and have to eat a lot of poo poo to make their customers happy and paying more money. Think of customer success as a concierge for 7 figure customers. You're the person who has to have the answer to why the patch they need isn't out yet and why their sales rep quoted them x but the professional services team is on site right now and saying they need y.

Bob Morales posted:

Its a cool buzzword to use for the role. You can hope for a promotion to 'Customer Success Engineer'

IT has a bad habit of doing title inflation and it makes it really hard to apply for jobs when titles are meaningless.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Titles are meaningless, but the implication is that Customer Success Manager likely has more power/tools to resolve more complicated issues, but isn’t necessarily as technical as a TAM like position.

Expect to have customers with weird problems and have to herd technical folks in your own company that don’t want to deal with it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
From what I've seen CSMs are like proactive helpdesk. Your job isn't over when the ticket is closed, you should be holding regular meetings and searching for unreported problems from the customer. I think there's more problem discovery involved too.

It's almost like csm is helpdesk for people with better charisma.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KillHour posted:

Unless someone is abusing the term "customer success" those two things aren't remotely related. A customer success manager usually isn't responsible for actually diagnosing technical issues, but responsible for tracking down the people that can solve any customer issue, technical or not, and grabbing them by the ear and twisting hard. They are normally dedicated to core/strategic accounts and have to eat a lot of poo poo to make their customers happy and paying more money. Think of customer success as a concierge for 7 figure customers. You're the person who has to have the answer to why the patch they need isn't out yet and why their sales rep quoted them x but the professional services team is on site right now and saying they need y.

Hi Killhour! That's a great inquiry! We love when our customers ask questions! Do you mind if I send the notes over to Mikrot our technician in Elbonia who will be assisting you with this issue further? kthxbye

Dick Hitswater
Customer Success Manager
MegaDerp SaaS company
REACH OUT TO ME ON LINKED In

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

The Fool posted:

Expect to have customers with weird problems and have to herd technical folks in your own company that don’t want to deal with it.
Are you telling me I would be the person who has to deal with the god drat customers so the engineers don't have to?

Coming from healthcare, IT feels like the wild wild west. I will be looking into catering my resume to see if I can squeeze my way into one of these roles.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Being a TAM is what I've been trying to apply for. It's the only part of my job I enjoy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trickortreat posted:

Are you telling me I would be the person who has to deal with the god drat customers so the engineers don't have to?

Coming from healthcare, IT feels like the wild wild west. I will be looking into catering my resume to see if I can squeeze my way into one of these roles.

If you actually enjoy engaging with customers and helping them solve problems but don't enjoy being locked in a windowless basement, you might want to look at customer success, technical account manager, sales engineer, consulting, etc.

Edit: If you're looking for a hybrid between development and customer success, I think we're hiring jr/associate consultants. You'd be more focused on the coding in a windowless basement part until you can prove to us that we can put you in front of a customer without looking stupid, but it's a legitimate pathway between the two disciplines, in either direction. PM me.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 3, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've worked my way through tech jobs from small business msp to sysadmin to department management to software engineering. 6 employers along the way including financial, healthcare, gov, and startups.

I'm starting to realize that I might not like anything about the technology industry.

I've lost hope I'll ever find a company that's worth anything to me beyond the paycheck. But that's probably my fault for trying to find strong leadership, fulfilling work, and a good work life balance in the same place.

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in this feeling, for sure.

I'm at the point where I just want a job where I tell people how to do things or that they're doing them wrong and wash my hands of it. I am so sick of the rest of it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in this feeling, for sure.

I'm at the point where I just want a job where I tell people how to do things or that they're doing them wrong and wash my hands of it. I am so sick of the rest of it.

This is exactly where I am and it's why I'm trying to move into either a managing consultant role or senior management. Luckily, my customer just brought on a near-shore associate consultant who seems to actually be competent and reports to me :woop:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To me jobs should be nothing more than a paycheck, I'm sure some people enjoy making and selling stuff but it ain't me. The job is just a necessary evil to provide myself some shelter and enough money to do things that are actually fun.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've worked my way through tech jobs from small business msp to sysadmin to department management to software engineering. 6 employers along the way including financial, healthcare, gov, and startups.

I'm starting to realize that I might not like anything about the technology industry.

I've lost hope I'll ever find a company that's worth anything to me beyond the paycheck. But that's probably my fault for trying to find strong leadership, fulfilling work, and a good work life balance in the same place.

You might find 2 out of 3, I feel like I'm at a place that's about 2.5 out of 3 on those. Work life balance is very excellent. The mission of the company is something I can get behind and we're not publicly traded, so no stress about having a bad quarter. Leadership is pretty good, but could have more direction in the IT space. I

Maybe I'm just older and jaded, but work to me is just a paycheck so I can make money to do things that fulfill me outside of work. I've got 4 vacations planned this year, I'm able to provide a very nice life for my family, I'm always home to spend time with my kids, and I've never missed one of their events or games because of work.

I wouldn't give up working in the tech industry for anything. Low barrier of entry, very high pay, low impact, good working conditions, portable skill set (every industry needs IT people).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Happy to report that awake.ps1 works a treat at keeping my Teams status green, once I turned off the feature that uses the Windows Hello camera to lock my laptop when I walk away from it.

Got loads done around the house today with regular glances at my phone to see if anything was happening.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just have a job that doesn’t monitor my teams status

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Anyone have experience with a cellular signal booster for a warehouse? Our current operations setup uses wifi, but as a backup the scanning devices can use cell signal if for whatever reason the wireless drops. Our warehouse operations routinely tries to claim their bad performance is due to their devices having poor signal quality which may be true but in the interim the president wants me to rule out poor cell signal as well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I got that exact scenario wrong on the Net+. Whatever you do, do NOT blame interferrence on the office windows next door.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Fool posted:

I've got one that I'm not sure if they do, but I'm only needing to really be attentive for 3 hours a day, and that's just to triage issues to the right departments. Otherwise I'm just doing homework or playing games on my PC.

I've also got a 2nd interview for a cloud support position after having one yesterday. They do threat analysis for cloud accounts I guess and said it'd be around $80-95k, which is double what I make now. The company seems like a startup and has been around for a decade but a few reviews from Glassdoor have me a little worried that it's just a churn and burn. Others were obviously done by the CEO or someone else because there's two in there that are nearly identical that sing praises on how good the company is.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Anyone have experience with a cellular signal booster for a warehouse? Our current operations setup uses wifi, but as a backup the scanning devices can use cell signal if for whatever reason the wireless drops. Our warehouse operations routinely tries to claim their bad performance is due to their devices having poor signal quality which may be true but in the interim the president wants me to rule out poor cell signal as well.

Can you add more AP's?

The last cell booster I installed became known as 'the cancer box' and people kept disconnecting it

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

I like working on interesting project and fixing 'problems'.

I hate being in the middle of departments fighting, inept managers, stupid decisions, and being handcuffed by compliance policies. I don't think I will ever take another job where you have to adhere to more than PCI/HIPAA

SOX to be you

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Can you add more AP's?

The last cell booster I installed became known as 'the cancer box' and people kept disconnecting it

It's gonna be both more than likely.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What is people's fascination with setting up email alerts for things that don't require any action? I swear, every time I put some work in to get useless poo poo out of our team's inboxes, someone just dumps more poo poo there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

I have the opposite problem where Teams always says I'm online no matter what I do and people use it as an excuse to message me literally whenever

Internet Explorer posted:

What is people's fascination with setting up email alerts for things that don't require any action? I swear, every time I put some work in to get useless poo poo out of our team's inboxes, someone just dumps more poo poo there.

They need you to know that some batch job has been failing every morning at 8AM for the past 2 years even though you aren't on that project or responsible for it and nobody has bothered fixing it because it apparently doesn't matter but you need to know about it every time it happens anyways (:smithicide:)

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 3, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

KillHour posted:

I have the opposite problem where Teams always says I'm online no matter what I do and people use it as an excuse to message me literally whenever

Take teams off your phone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

It's not on my phone but because I'm a consultant and I work remote for the customer, it pings my personal workstation.

Actually, I lied - it is on my phone for my actual employer because you can't be logged into two different Teams at once but my phone refuses to send me notifications when I get a message so I always miss when internal people are talking to me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

George H.W. oval office posted:

This is a tricky one because even the carriers are moving towards Wi-Fi calling being their solution for indoor coverage issues as they phase out femtocells (due to being 3G and wanting to switch the 3G networks off). Cel-Fi seem to make the only reasonable repeaters.

Your budget is going to be better spent having a proper Wi-Fi site survey done and tweaking the network to perform with the terminals you're using, but if someone wants to buy cellular repeaters then I wouldn't stand in their way.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I second a WiFi site survey. I haven't done it before so I don't know how to pick a good vendor, but I know WiFi can be hard to get right and crappy signal is very frustrating.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have a wifi site survey happening next week at one of our manufacturing plants. The MSP that does it does a very good job and it's only $600.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sickening posted:

No. This is what enables me to gently caress off and do a project around the house and still be responsive.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Teams (or Slack, or whatever) on your phone so you can be reachable 24/7/365: bad
Teams on your phone so you can gently caress around during normal work time and still be responsive: good

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

GreenNight posted:

We have a wifi site survey happening next week at one of our manufacturing plants. The MSP that does it does a very good job and it's only $600.

They a local group or national?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Is Heartland Business Systems national? They do good work in the Cisco space.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

FISHMANPET posted:

Teams (or Slack, or whatever) on your phone so you can be reachable 24/7/365: bad
Teams on your phone so you can gently caress around during normal work time and still be responsive: good

Whoa, hang on there, buddy. It sounds like you're going for some sort of....NUANCE, in how you're approaching things. Is that what this is? Listen up pal, we don't take kindly to any consideration of different situations demanding differing solutions round these here parts. It's 100% one way every time or nothing!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
FWIW: I posted this in the AWS thread but thought I'd also post it here since there's a lot of folks asking for different projects to practice various skills and learn IT stuff:

For those looking for free and interesting datasets to build workloads from, here's a list of the data sources I use. These are the kind of APIs that you can query to automatically pull data into a database of some kind and then put an app server or a web server in front of to create a user-facing workload.

United States Geological Survey earthquake catalog - get running list of all the reported and detected earthquakes wordwide
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/fdsnws/event/1/

Visual Crossing Weather data - there's a free tier for pulling weather data from locations around the world
https://www.visualcrossing.com/weather-api

also WeatherUnderground
http://api.wunderground.com/api

Geyser eruption times for all the geysers in Yellowstone National Park. This one is exceptionally fun to use with Machine Learning: Try to create an AI/ML that will predect eruption times!
https://www.geysertimes.org/api/v5/docs/index.php

Lego database:
https://www.kaggle.com/rtatman/lego-database

Eve Online market database. Pull every market order in Eve online in near real time
https://esi.evetech.net/ui/

couple that with the Eve Online static data export to build nifty web apps
https://developers.eveonline.com/resource

Folding@home - Forgot my favorite for Big Data stuff:
https://apps.foldingathome.org/daily_user_summary.txt.bz2
https://apps.foldingathome.org/daily_team_summary.txt.bz2

The F@H user data is a fun one because there's something like two million rows in a single file. Pull it every time it refreshes (like every 90 minutes or so) and you can have a billion records in a table after about four months (My Users data table has 5.7 billion rows and is about 900gigs in size which is really helpful for managing and manipulating data at scale.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 4, 2022

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FISHMANPET posted:

My email and work phone app turn off when my shift ends. All notifications from them get set to DnD automatically with no notification icons. If I check them, it's my own drat fault!

Doesent stop me sometimes though :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Just to clarify, I have taken teams off my phone because for some reason having it installed and signed in totally fucks over my status on other devices.

Yall be wilding.

I totally endorse loving around on company time, especially at home. The man can get hosed.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Trickortreat posted:

I would count myself as one of the many many healthcare practitioners who got burnt out during the pandemic. In putting together my resume, it's kind of dawned on me that recruiters may be asking why I decided to abandon my healthcare career when it was on the up and up. Long story short, I got tired of being forced to deal with idiots who can't wear a mask properly or get vaccinated day after day after day, but I can't exactly put that. If I get asked about it during the interview process, what's the best way to approach this topic?

May I suggest taking a look at EMR analyst positions? I know quite a few healthcare front office staff and nurses who moved over to IT/IS as an Epic Analyst at my last employer despite not having a technical background, receiving quite a nice boost in pay and they all WFH now (started before Covid). It's more of a support and data management position than technical but it'll get you around working with other IT departments and they loved bringing on people who had hands on experience using EMRs. I'd go that route over your typical help desk, if possible.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Agrikk posted:

FWIW: I posted this in the AWS thread but thought I'd also post it here since there's a lot of folks asking for different projects to practice various skills and learn IT stuff:

awesome data stuff...

You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Can you give an example of an AWS data workflow that you've used with one of these sets? I find it much easier to identify a work problem but I suck at coming up with something on my own. Even more so with trying to practice data engineering, where there seems to be an infinite amount of services to use together.

Cyks posted:

May I suggest taking a look at EMR analyst positions? I know quite a few healthcare front office staff and nurses who moved over to IT/IS as an Epic Analyst at my last employer despite not having a technical background, receiving quite a nice boost in pay and they all WFH now (started before Covid). It's more of a support and data management position than technical but it'll get you around working with other IT departments and they loved bringing on people who had hands on experience using EMRs. I'd go that route over your typical help desk, if possible.

Most definitely. I just left an EMR position and worked clinical informatics for years. Anyone, feel free to PM me or ask questions if you have any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

You are a gentleman and a scholar!

Can you give an example of an AWS data workflow that you've used with one of these sets? I find it much easier to identify a work problem but I suck at coming up with something on my own. Even more so with trying to practice data engineering, where there seems to be an infinite amount of services to use together.

Most definitely. I just left an EMR position and worked clinical informatics for years. Anyone, feel free to PM me or ask questions if you have any.

Here’s one I stole from Twitter:

Use the earthquake and weather api’s to build a dashboard that shows the disaster status of a geographically diverse group of people